Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Horrible flashback to "mooncups"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Menas wrote: »
    Damn, I need to man up my posts. :(

*Scratches arse, farts, smiles.....

And you're still dong it wrong, because you forgot to throw in the oul * sniffs hand * after the * scratches arse * part of your post.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Horrible flashback to "mooncups"

Is that a horror movie?

"Mooncups - There Will Be Blood" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Why oh why would you watch big brother? The thought is a trivial annoyance.

Secondary annoyance: I don't know what "the cups" are - and I know if I google it I'll get more annoyed 'cause I can guess it some sort of reading the future bullshíte.

Google wont help you there! A poster made a comment a few pages back that his parents read cups and predicted that everything would turn out okay & now that it has above post is about his earlier one saying that the cups were right after all! ( sorry if that has confused you even more!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

messrs wrote: »
    Google wont help you there! A poster made a comment a few pages back that his parents read cups and predicted that everything would turn out okay & now that it has above post is about his earlier one saying that the cups were right after all! ( sorry if that has confused you even more!!)

And to add more confusion that poster was a female! (Well, she was female a few months ago...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

And to add more confusion that poster was a female! (Well, she was female a few months ago...)

sorry my mistake!!! don't know why I just assumed poster was male
    OldNotWise - my apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I go walking with someone most everning. She leaves five minutes away from me so I text as I go out the door to let her know I am on the way. Every single time I arrive and she has to go to the bathroom, lock the back door, turn on the dishwasher. Could she not do that in the five minutes it takes me to get there instead of sitting there watching tv.

Noisy BOOM BOOM voiced fcukers, you can hear them from miles away, pontificating and spouting their very important opinions to all and sundry. You would think they were giving a pep talk to a load of Spartans before battle......and they are just talking about a fcuking match!

Usuallymen by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

More driving TA's....

Driving home from school on a 100kmph road and this car in front is going about 60 and swerving all over the place. We couldn't pass her out because she was being so dangerous. Eventually got put by her and the dirty look she gave me for passing her!
    I think someone called the guards because I met them a few minutes later. Serves her right.

Also why do people who park next to the road think it's ok to throw their doors wide open? Next time I'll keep driving and bring their door with me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Every time that song by John Gibbons "Your Love" comes on, the man himself has to introduce it.
    It's only cos he's Irish.

They wouldn't get David Guetta introducing his own song, so why the bias towards John Gibbons?
    The radio stations are going mental over this song purely cos it's by an Irish guy.
    Big woop, a dance song by an Irish guy...is that worthy of such hype?

• Advertisement

When you're stopped on a hill and have left the correct amount of space between your car and the car in front (can see T &T) and then the car in front decides to start inching up while the lights are still red, practically tipping off the car in front, eventually making it look like you have left a spastic sized gap between you. Well sorry car behind but I'm not going out of gear, into first etc to creep up a few feet and still have to wait for the lights. We are where we are now :(

KatW4 wrote: »
    More driving TA's....

Driving home from school on a 100kmph road and this car in front is going about 60 and swerving all over the place. We couldn't pass her out because she was being so dangerous. Eventually got put by her and the dirty look she gave me for passing her!
    I think someone called the guards because I met them a few minutes later. Serves her right.

Also why do people who park next to the road think it's ok to throw their doors wide open? Next time I'll keep driving and bring their door with me!

Yup, sometimes slow drivers are really dangerous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

This sh1te of posting embarrassing pictures or videos from snapchat to facebook on someone's birthday

Fair enough they're embarrassing and funny sometimes, but why bother send them out in the first place if you're gonna pretend to hate them when they're posted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

People who don't listen to instructions: I told my mom that I don't mind what I have to wear to her sisters wedding as long as the dress is past my knees ( I don't like how my legs look - not a tall blond with stilts for legs - I'm short) and what does she do but buy me a puffy cocktail like dress and I now look horrible in the wedding photos. She bought it on sale and my aunt signed off on it so I had to wear it even though I had a better dress but my aunt thought I looked adorable in the dress. Sigh also all the insincere compliments and the one honest person who said it did look bad got a look from my mom, so I had to apoligise to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

How they put right at the top of the new "energy saving" bulbs in big highlighted writing "60W".... and then underneath it in plain writing "equivalency in old bulb wattage, actually 45W".

It is my arse. It's about as true as saying they live 3 times as long.

How they put right at the top of the new "energy saving" bulbs in big highlighted writing "60W".... and then underneath it in plain writing "equivalency in old bulb wattage, actually 45W".

It is my arse. It's about as true as saying they live 3 times as long.

The trouble with watts as a measurement is that watts measure energy consumed by the light bulb, not the brightness output. But like measuring your cars MPG rather than speed.

The new LED bulbs have a 'lumens' rating which is actually a measure of the light brightness output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

Keith Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

BBC1 and their inability to start programmes at the correct time.

SKY1 and E4 show a lot of shyte But at least they're punctual.

The trouble with watts as a measurement is that watts measure energy consumed by the light bulb, not the brightness output. But like measuring your cars MPG rather than speed.

The new LED bulbs have a 'lumens' rating which is actually a measure of the light brightness output.

When someone posts something you felt was unnecessary or made it look as if you didn't know the full story and yet didn't say anything that was wrong or up for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

When someone puts a glaring misspelling in their status and then accidentally posts the status twice - I have to twitch twice.
    When I'm so tired that I can barely feel the keyboard keys under my fingers (often missing them altogether) and I have to go back and change my own glaring misspellings :p .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Waking early on a Saturday

Tommy Flemming

I mean what's the fcuking point of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I just tipped my favourite wine glass/vase with my elbow and it shattered all over the worktop ..I have loads but that was my favourite one:(

I bought a new duvet months ago and bought a pair of matching pillowcases and a pair of plain ones with it but Ive just opened them and theres only one fcuking matching pillow case and theyve sold out ages ago:mad:FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Traveller came to the door earlier selling knives.
    Just before he rang the bell, I'd had a call that a family member has been taken to hospital, so I was on my way out.

Here's how the conversation went:
    "Howya, want to buy some knives?"
    "I have those ones actually" (which I genuinely have)
    "€25 the lot, look how sharp they are" and he proceeds to cut some paper with a knife.
    "No thanks. Listen I can't stop, I have to get to the hospital."
    "Right, €20..look how sharp they are, they're worth €169 in the shops."
    "No, I have to go. I'm not interested."

This goes on for what seems like forever.
    In the end, out of frustration I threw him a tenner and he sold me the knives.

Honestly, I don't usually back down but he wasn't leaving until he got a sale and I had to go.

Anyone want to buy a set of knives?
    €5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

fussyonion wrote: »
    Just before he rang the bell, I'd had a call that a family member has been taken to hospital, so I was on my way out.

"€25 the lot, look how sharp they are" and he proceeds to cut some paper with a knife.

Honestly, I don't usually back down but he wasn't leaving until he got a sale and I had to go.

€5?

I hope you stabbed him with the knives and are now selling them on to get rid of the evidence.

I HATE people who try to ambush you at your own home...no patience for this type of human garbage.

OKCupid app now has advertisements after you send a message to anyone.

Screw that.

I hope you stabbed him with the knives and are now selling them on to get rid of the evidence.

I HATE people who try to ambush you at your own home...no patience for this type of human garbage.

They dont stay long at my door..I have that kinda face that makes them run:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

Colser wrote: »
    They dont stay long at my door..I have that kinda face that makes them run:D

Same story here, I'm not sure if I have a face like a slapped arse or if it is the lack of emotion in my beautiful voice that encourages them to leave. Either way, it's a blessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I usually just say 'not interested' as I'm closing the door in their face.

You don't just randomly go knocking on strangers doors offering to sell them crap. It's scummy.

It isn't the 1950s so travelling salesmen aren't a thing any more

• Advertisement

Same story here, I'm not sure if I have a face like a slapped arse or if it is the lack of emotion in my beautiful voice that encourages them to leave. Either way, it's a blessing.
    We were talking in work about the sales people in BT approaching you with perfume samples ect and I said that they dont ever approach me and it must be because I look poor or something but my (very blunt/honest) colleague said it was because they are afraid of me...that was years ago but its stuck with me because its must be true as I can see those makeup girls ect looking but they usually dont approach me or it could be because they cant improve on my looks;):D Its a blessing though because I wouldnt let them near me anyway and as for the Airtricty salesmen Ive ran them quicker than lighting from my door.I hate them tbh.

€5?

I'll give you €2.50 and I'll be doin you a favour at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Super ****ing annoying: I hate some specific type of spice / herb / ingredient and have NO idea what the **** it is. Nobody knows, it's like a ghost is seasoning my food just to **** with me

I don't know how to describe it, and when I find it in something nobody can tell me what it is because they just say they can't taste anything specific. it's like if liquorice and cheap perfume were mixed in a blender with chives and garlic. You know those disgusting little bullseye sweets that taste like being winded? It's like those.

I just got a takeaway korma that I've had probably 10 times before from the same place, but this time it's a slightly lighter colour, smells and tastes nothing like before AND IT HAS THE INGREDIENT IN IT

Super ****ing annoying: I hate some specific type of spice / herb / ingredient and have NO idea what the **** it is. Nobody knows, it's like a ghost is seasoning my food just to **** with me

I don't know how to describe it, and when I find it in something nobody can tell me what it is because they just say they can't taste anything specific. it's like if liquorice and cheap perfume were mixed in a blender with chives and garlic. You know those disgusting little bullseye sweets that taste like being winded? It's like those.

I just got a takeaway korma that I've had probably 10 times before from the same place, but this time it's a slightly lighter colour, smells and tastes nothing like before AND IT HAS THE INGREDIENT IN IT

Coriander?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ok and this isn't even trivial: this brings me to red-hot rage and frustration:
    Why in the name of goodness don't people have a clearly visible number on the outside of their house - preferably at the street-side?
    I couldn't count the number of times I have crawled along a road, peering at gates and distant front doors from a slow-moving car, muttering to myself
    "They said No 58. So this one is 28. Maybe this is the Even side. Now, which way do the numbers run? Let's find ANOTHER visible number and see if it's higher or lower...then we can count along...."

All this...even on foot, my eyesight isn't up to a couple of rusty numbers 2 inches high, nailed at the top of a front door and obscured by the overhanging porch.

DON'T DO THIS!! Or I will get out my box of crayons and run down the street by dead of night, scrawling indelible LARGE numbers beside the gate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Waking early on a Saturday

Try waking early on a Saturday, reading for a couple of hours then drifting back to sleep for FIVE hours :(:mad:

I don't in any way want to be a scare-monger but people selling knives door to door preceded a large wave of break-ins in my area a few weeks ago. Sad but true.

There's a festival on this weekend. Someone sent up a drone to take aerial footage. Several drivers almost hit walls/ditches craning to see the thing in the sky. You're driving a car ffs. Watch the road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,216 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hmm, that sounds like star anise?

A star-shaped, dark brown pod that contains a pea-size seed in each of its eight segments. Native to China, star anise comes from a small evergreen tree. It's flavor is slightly more bitter than that of regular anise seed. Asian cooks use star anise to give a licorice flavor to savory dishes, particularly those with pork and poultry. It's available whole or ground and is an ingredient in Chinese five-spice powder. Use it sparingly--a little goes a long way.

Season: available year-round

Matches well with: duck, eggs, fish, leeks, pastry, pears, pork, poultry, pumpkin, shrimp

Substitutions: anise seed + pinch of allspice (weaker flavor; 1 crushed star anise = 1/2 teaspoon crushed anise seed) OR Chinese five-spice powder (contains star anise and other spices) OR anise extract (use just a few drops)

Source: Kitchen Dictionary

I wouldn't just take my word for it though, an allergy test would give you a better idea ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

TA'd at the fact there is currently a very good looking Leaving Cert student working part-time with the same company as me, and while I am well able to talk to her no problem, I can't help feeling like a creepy old man and that everyone else is judging me when I do. She was born in 1998, a full ten years after me.

I'M JUST BEING SOCIABLE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

IT'S ****ING CLOVES!!!!

I'd say it's fennel seed. Very similar taste/aroma and far more likely to be in a korma.

My TA: Dog hair. Dog hair fcuking everywhere :-(

fennell, star anise, cloves, and anything else like that should just leave me alone :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

"the two are not mutually exclusive"

I think it's the repetition that bothers me, I see it a lot in discussions on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

fennell, star anise, cloves, and anything else like that should just leave me alone :(

Star anise and fennel tend to be in very specific things but cloves can be in a lot of different things (my mom puts it in her apple crumble and with oranges and star anise to be soaked up by a chicken overnight) I'd look into what your eating, to find out the common spice that is irritating you (I had to do this after an allergy test).

My TA Passive aggressive relatives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Small minded relatives

Cuntyhole Aunt comes over

She says to my sister
    "Oh hi Pews sister, congratulations with everything you did really well.
    "Hi Pew.......sure you did nothing this year"

Me: "Yea i didnt do anything this year except work in a full time job that i love because i busted my hole working for my level 8 and masters degrees the past few years aswell as working throughout both degrees....."

Piss off and dont judge me "for doing nothing" progressing in my career is doing something.

Her daughter isnt much better. Apparently at 24, its pretty sad that im not in a relationship, or engaged or planning for a kid.

Sure a relationship would be nice but im focusing on my career right now. And id rather not be like you, 20 with a 5 year old, living in a caravan at the back of my parents house with a fiancee that treats me like dirt and cheats on me all the time.

Ah nothing like relatives really tearing down your confidence for doing something with your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

pew wrote: »
    Small minded relatives

Cuntyhole Aunt comes over

She says to my sister
    "Oh hi Pews sister, congratulations with everything you did really well.
    "Hi Pew.......sure you did nothing this year"

Me: "Yea i didnt do anything this year except work in a full time job that i love because i busted my hole working for my level 8 and masters degrees the past few years aswell as working throughout both degrees....."

Piss off and dont judge me "for doing nothing" progressing in my career is doing something.

Her daughter isnt much better. Apparently at 24, its pretty sad that im not in a relationship, or engaged or planning for a kid.

Sure a relationship would be nice but im focusing on my career right now. And id rather not be like you, 20 with a 5 year old, living in a caravan at the back of my parents house with a fiancee that treats me like dirt and cheats on me all the time.

Ah nothing like relatives really tearing down your confidence for doing something with your life.

Nothing worse. When I got accepted to my degree program, my aunt in law asked me why I wasn't applying to medicine. I told her I wasn't interested in it, then she proceeded to inform me that my parents aren't proud of me and that if I don't get my act together that they'll always be embarrassed of me.
    Family, huh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Nothing worse. When I got accepted to my degree program, my aunt in law asked me why I wasn't applying to medicine. I told her I wasn't interested in it, then she proceeded to inform me that my parents aren't proud of me and that if I don't get my act together that they'll always be embarrassed of me.
    Family, huh? :rolleyes:

The Bitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's a lot of ex rugby players doing pieces to camera on their phones then posting it online, not sure if it's them looking for punditry jobs, but they look ridiculous and has a FaceTime effect to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

The inside of my ear is so itchy and it's driving me demented!

When everything on the music channels is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

When everything on the music channels is stupid.

Worse: when everything on all channels is so bad, you find yourself paying attention to the re runs of Sex and the City your wife is watching on CBS drama or some such long lost channel, and even finding the occasional line amusing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Tools beeping their car horn when collecting someone, I can understand a Taxi driver doing it but If you're collecting your mate THEN use your f**king phone.

We had a numpty do this every morning for a week while collecting a neighbor, I wonder would he be still doing it, if we hadn't of mentioned it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement