Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

The words "Immigrant" and "Emigrant" annoy me because they shouldn't be two separate words.

If you're an "Immigrant", meaning you've come into the country, then you must have left a country, making you an "Emigrant".

So for example, if a Scottish guy moves to Ireland, to us he is an "Immigrant". But to the Scottish people he is an "Emigrant". Pointless really.

But how can we complain about the immigrants ruining the country, without sounding like we're complaining about the emigrants who've fúcked off to America?

TA that I just passed 1000 posts and didn't notice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Is it not when they leave these fair shores they're "poor emigrants",
    but when they arrive to the fair shores they're "feckin immigrants"??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

bluewolf wrote: »
    There's PDF editor things you put in text boxes there, they're handy
    word would be handier all right though

Yep depends what version of PDF you have though. Had a version in my last work that had a lot more capabilities, but not my current unpaid one :)

Just like when you're in your own country you're a native but when you go to another country you're a foreigner....they're words that describe you in relation to where you are at the time and where you're from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I am MORE than trivially annoyed this evening.
    This is long; sit back...

The other day, my neighbour asked us if we could let a plumber into her house as she was going to be out all day.
    We said "Sure, no problem", and when he came, we used our spare keys and let him in.
    When he was done, we reset her alarm and locked up.
    That was fine.

This morning, Bord Gais set up their noticeboards and cones outside and a fella knocked on the door. "Howya," he says, "your neighbour told us to call into you. We need access to her house and she said it was OK to call to you to let us in."

I rang my neighbour to double-check and she says "Yeah I knew they were coming, that's grand". (No 'Thanks for that, by the way').

An hour later, fella returns and says "Unfortunately, with the vibration of our equipment, some of her ornaments fell off her window ledge and broke. She can call in to complain if she wants, but we're very sorry."

I rang my neighbour. She was fine with it. I even went in and swept it all up.

This evening, as I'm cooking dinner, a fella comes to the door. "How'ya, I'm here to fix your neighbour's telly. I rang her and she said you could let me in."

By this stage I'm bloody fuming.
    It's one thing to ring me FIRST and ask if I mind doing it, let alone ask if I'm home, but it's another to ASSUME I'm home and that I don't mind doing it.
    I felt like I was being taken advantage of and just here to let bloody work-men in.

I told my other half I'm not happy with it but he's so laid-back and thinks that's what neighbours are for and we shouldn't fall out.

I get that's what neighbours are for, but do you not think it's a bit bloody cheeky not to call me first about work-men coming and to just tell them to knock into me?

Bloody fuming I am.
    Someone get me a drink. This green tea ain't hitting the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

The words "Immigrant" and "Emigrant" annoy me because they shouldn't be two separate words.

If you're an "Immigrant", meaning you've come into the country, then you must have left a country, making you an "Emigrant".

So for example, if a Scottish guy moves to Ireland, to us he is an "Immigrant". But to the Scottish people he is an "Emigrant". Pointless really.

agreed, its secondary school geography

Robsweezie wrote: »
    agreed, its secondary school geography

Yep, much easier to just say 'people who are from our country but have moved abroad' instead of emigrants and 'people who have moved to our country from another' instead of immigrants :D

fussyonion wrote: »

The other day, my neighbour asked us if we could let a plumber into her house as she was going to be out all day.
    We said "Sure, no problem", and when he came, we used our spare keys and let him in.
    That was fine.

This morning, Bord Gais set up their noticeboards and cones outside and a fella knocked on the door. "Howya," he says, "your neighbour told us to call into you. We need access to her house and she said it was OK to call to you to let us in."

I rang my neighbour to double-check and she says "Yeah I knew they were coming, that's grand". (No 'Thanks for that, by the way').

An hour later, fella returns and says "Unfortunately, with the vibration of our equipment, some of her ornaments fell off her window ledge and broke. She can call in to complain if she wants, but we're very sorry."

This evening, as I'm cooking dinner, a fella comes to the door. "How'ya, I'm here to fix your neighbour's telly. I rang her and she said you could let me in."

It's one thing to ring me FIRST and ask if I mind doing it, let alone ask if I'm home, but it's another to ASSUME I'm home and that I don't mind doing it.
    I felt like I was being taken advantage of and just here to let bloody work-men in.

I told my other half I'm not happy with it but he's so laid-back and thinks that's what neighbours are for and we shouldn't fall out.

I get that's what neighbours are for, but do you not think it's a bit bloody cheeky not to call me first about work-men coming and to just tell them to knock into me?

Bloody fuming I am.

Here, have a margarita, that cruising concoction that helps you hang on :)

That is taking the piss a bit, I'd be annoyed too but is it really worth falling out with your neighbour over? I suspect you might not think so after a couple of days (assuming it doesn't continue - is she renovating or something? Seems like a lot of stuff going on over there!)

OTOH you don't want this continuing, it'll just get worse, better nip it in the bud if you can. I'd say to her, "I don't mind letting people in to your house but it would really help me if you could give me some warning, I was in the middle of cooking dinner when {workman} called..." Or maybe make up something else that she will recognise as an inconvenience, like I was relaxing in the bath, or having adult fun time with OH ;)

Sorry if you just wanted the drink without the advice, i am a bad bartender!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

fussyonion wrote: »

That was fine.

Bloody fuming I am.

Poop on her doormat, seriously. A big poop.

Poop on her doormat, seriously. A big poop.

Yeah what am I doing? This Is AH! Do what he said. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

starling wrote: »
    Yeah what am I doing? This Is AH! Do what he said. :D

This kipper is wearing a pink bow on the head, not a blue one!

This kipper is wearing a pink bow on the head, not a blue one!

Oops! So sorry, now I'm the one with the foot-in-mouth problem! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Slow internet connection downloading a game and then it has no tutorial so you spend ages just figuring it out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Finally finished my essay but my god I've given myself one hell of a headache! Ouch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Rock 1234

I just went outside, and you will never guess what I saw ' A Red Moon ' and the blue moon of Kentucky is playing on the radio ! 'Elvis is still in the building '

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Rock 1234 wrote: »
    I just went outside, and you will never guess what I saw ' A Red Moon ' and the blue moon of Kentucky is playing on the radio ! 'Elvis is still in the building '

TA'd that you're not sharing your time machine with the rest of us.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I feel like I have a big bogey in my right nostril. I've blown and picked with no return. Visual inspection shows nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I feel like I have a big bogey in my right nostril. I've blown and picked with no return. Visual inspection shows nothing.

I had that for a week, was sore as feck!! I suspect a spot of some sort up there!!

When I finally removed the article, you could tell it was lodged deep, and had been there for a while!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I had that for a week, was sore as feck!! I suspect a spot of some sort up there!!

When I finally removed the article, you could tell it was lodged deep, and had been there for a while!!!

The visual imagery in those two posts, bloody hell it's like reading a horror comedy around here sometimes, fcuking disgusting, but funny as fcuk at the same time! :D

*closes lid on laptop*

That's about my lot for today... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I just hope the kids weren't putting blu tac up my nose while I was asleep.

Having had a cold since the weekend, I've now woken up with several blisters up my nose. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Rock 1234 wrote: »

Could have been worse, there could have been "a pale moon risin'":D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

We live on a cul-de-sac. Yesterday a huge stretched Hummer limo blocked the street for 30 minutes whilst someone going off to their debs took their time getting in to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

It doesn't matter how many years I am going into the butchers/ shop, if I meet one of the staff out on the street, I will never be 100% sure it's them as they are not in their work clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

grundie wrote: »
    We live on a cul-de-sac. Yesterday a huge stretched Hummer limo blocked the street for 30 minutes whilst someone going off to their debs took their time getting in to it.

That reminds me, when some people moved in around the corner from us and kept parking in front of our house. We dont have a front garden so if someone is parked outside its kind of in your face. The space outside our house is not ours so anyone is free to park there but the neighbours kind of have an unwritten rule that we try our best not to park in front of another house when we can.

He was parking there everyday instead of his own space near his house. He is quite a stocky man and he looks like a phil mitchell type. I was in the sitting room one saturday evening and he had his mates walking up and down the avenue drinking a can. I was fuming. I said to my husband "look at him, he thinks he owns the road out there"

That monday, he parked in front of the house so i went out and asked him for a word preparing myself for him to be a jerk. I said "cmon cant you just park in front of your own house, its a pain when we are bringing in the shopping and you have space at your own house" and with that his face softened and strangely for a second he looked like he was about to cry :s i was like "oh ****"

Turns out hes a gentle giant type and he genuinely just didnt think he was bothering anyone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Over-cooked pasta = wet bread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

That reminds me, when some people moved in around the corner from us and kept parking in front of our house. We dont have a front garden so if someone is parked outside its kind of in your face. The space outside our house is not ours so anyone is free to park there but the neighbours kind of have an unwritten rule that we try our best not to park in front of another house when we can.

We had some friends who rented an apartment in the Sandford apartments in Ranelagh. The apartment came with a numbered parking space which they didn't use as they didn't have a car... so their neighbours used it without ever asking.

One day they got their own car and parked it in their own space whilst the neighbours were at work. This caused the neighbours to go ballistic demanding to know where they were going to park their cars now and that they could have given them some warning that they were going to start using their space.

We've had great fun with parking in my area. We also have the numbered spaces and visitors spaces. One neighbour decided that a visitor spot was theirs and anyone that parked in it got any of:

- a letter on their windscreen saying 'you are not allowed to park here'
    - they parked their car behind the car in the spot blocking the car in the visitors space
    - got their family members to come over to block cars in the spot
    - called clampers to get the cars in the visitors space clamped
    - started confrontations with people parked in the space
    - started legal procedings against anyone parked in the space and the management agency
    - threatened property
    - threatened people

I wouldn't mind, but they were decent folk until this all happened.

Nasal Passage Update - No update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Mine was the opposite, he seemed to be uncomprimising at the beginning but hes actually really nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Rock 1234

We've had great fun with parking in my area. We also have the numbered spaces and visitors spaces. One neighbour decided that a visitor spot was theirs and anyone that parked in it got any of:

- a letter on their windscreen saying 'you are not allowed to park here'
    - they parked their car behind the car in the spot blocking the car in the visitors space
    - got their family members to come over to block cars in the spot
    - called clampers to get the cars in the visitors space clamped
    - started confrontations with people parked in the space
    - started legal procedings against anyone parked in the space and the management agency
    - threatened property
    - threatened people

Nasal Passage Update - No update.

The joys of living in a Irish apartment block, Not enough parking spots, Clampers, Fire inspections, Insulation problems, Noise, Management Companies Fees,!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

A pair of luminous pink runner socks snuck their way into the wash. As well as ending up sopping wet in the rim of the machine, as one sock always seems to do in my washes, several other items have pink patches on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

Ticked off because there's a giant hypermarket near where I am at the moment (Poland somewhere) called Auchan, which I thought was a German company so I was pronouncing it ow-khan, but a friend told me this morning it's actually French and corrected my pronunciation, except now I've forgotten what she said it was and it's driving me batty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Medusa22 wrote: »
    My OH reads my posts on boards, (hello OH) so I know the feeling :pac:

That's really terrible.

Anyway I just like to state for the record, that I've never met better in the sack.;)

I've blisters in places where I never knew I had places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

People complaining about a new show on the telly starting, claiming they are going to stop paying TV licence, etc.

Are you being strapped down and forced to watch it? Not likely, turn.it.off! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Silence in the office. My previous role involved answering calls, but now I have a 'real' job with 'proper' work. Place is absolutely dead and it's getting to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

That's really terrible.

Anyway I just like to state for the record, that I've never met better in the sack.;)

I've blisters in places where I never knew I had places.

Thanks, she loves to read rave reviews about me! so, would that be four out of five stars? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Found a new TA: Dog sh*t in public

My day was ultimately ruined as a result of this.

I'm just gonna paste my explanation to my girlfriend on the events that unfolded today as a result of one lazy b**tard that didn't pick up after his dog.

"On my way down the Quay, I waited at the bus stop for the college bus. It was about 10 past 9 by the time I got on.
    Now, during my wait, I sat my bag down next to me, on the ground. When the bus arrived I picked my bag up, went into the bus, paid, and sat down on the passenger seat at the front.
    After the bus departed, I started to smell ****e.
    Where's the first place you end up looking when you smell ****e in a public area? Your feet, so I looked at my trainers - No ****e.
    So then I thought "maybe some smelly bastard came off the bus before I got on", so I checked my seat - nah, couldn't see any.
    The smell wouldn't go away, so I thought "maybe it's on the floor" so I lifted my bag onto my leg and looked at the ground - Nothing. However, the smell was much stronger at this stage.
    So after I put my bag back down - I looked at my leg and was horrified.
    There was a big patch of dog **** on my thigh.
    I wondered "where the **** did that come out of??"
    I looked at my actual bag, big lump of wet dog **** slapped onto the bottom right hand corner of it.
    So I came to the conclusion that my bag was sitting on top of dog **** when I sat it down in front of me at the bus stop.
    I had to sit on this bus the whole way to the college bus stop, reeking of this stench.
    After I got off the bus, I walked to the petrol station to see if they had any form of wipes (alcohol wipes or flash wipes or anything). So i asked your one at the counter "do you have any wipes of any kind?"
    "No", she said.
    Well ****.... so I told her what my situation was, I said "I'm in a bit of a predicament here... There's **** on my leg"
    After a shared giggle, she went to the back and got me an anti-bacterial spray and a roll of paper.
    Brilliant, I thought. That should do the trick.
    So I went outside, turned my back to the world and began scrubbing at my leg and at my bag.
    The colour of the **** went away from the bag, and barely went off the jeans. But it wouldn't have been visible from a distance.
    So I handed back the spray and tissues and went on my way.
    Half way between the petrol station and the front of the college, the smell came back again.
    So it was clear that I was gonna smell of **** the entire day if I went into college.
    So I hiked it all the way down to Supervalu, honkin of dog ****, and took the Tramore bus back home.
    The smell would not leave.
    I got home, had a shower, then I put my clothes, bag and pencil case into the washing machine (as I write this, they're still in the machine)
    At first I said "I'll get these washed and dried and cleaned and make my way back to college for lunch"
    But I don't even think I'm gonna make it at this stage as they're not past the middle stage of the wash.
    This has been the single most humiliating day of my life this year so far"

TL:DR - My bag landed on dog crap at a crowded and busy bus stop and I didn't realize until I had my bag sitting on my leg inside the bus, then my leg was covered in dog crap, so I had to take the day off college because I'm a half hour drive away and I can't drive.

If there's one positive thing I can take away from it, is my self esteem remains intact!

Oh dear the guy on Hawaii 5.0 the bloody comb back on him, looks hideous.

• Advertisement

selous wrote: »
    Oh dear the guy on Hawaii 5.0 the bloody comb back on him, looks hideous.

Scott Caan - James Caan from The Godfathers son.
    He was also in a rap group when he was 16.

I know so much information about Scott Caan <- TA :eek:

Kiwi fruit.

What is the point of you? You don't taste nice and you're the colour of snot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Clegg wrote: »
    Kiwi fruit.

Maybe so they can remind us of OEJ's nether region?

Scott Caan - James Caan from The Godfathers son.
    He was also in a rap group when he was 16.

I know so much information about Scott Caan <- TA :eek:

What was his hair like then? cause it's almost embarrassing now, just watching it now, he was at an airport, it stood up and out like a turkey taking flight... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Clegg wrote: »
    Kiwi fruit.

I love Kiwi! Even eat it with the skin on sometimes.. hairy.

What was his hair like then? cause it's almost embarrassing now, just watching it now, he was at an airport, it stood up and out like a turkey taking flight... :cool:

He was always wearing baseball caps backwards and real low on his brow.

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Maybe so they can remind us of OEJ's nether region?

definitely maybe

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I haven't seen the re-make promo (Jesus would they ever leave the classics alone! :mad:), but is his mop anything like Jack Lord's in the original Hawaii Five-O?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/kO4exM5spQM/hqdefault.jpg

I have to admit, I'd have loved to know what he used to keep that mop under control...

(although now I think of it, maybe I wouldn't :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I haven't seen the re-make promo (Jesus would they ever leave the classics alone! :mad:), but is his mop anything like Jack Lord's in the original Hawaii Five-O?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/kO4exM5spQM/hqdefault.jpg

I have to admit, I'd have loved to know what he used to keep that mop under control...

(although now I think of it, maybe I wouldn't :o)

Kiwi juice! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

People who have two accounts on Skype and leave them both on. Why, just why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

People unable to use Tesco self-service tills.

Place basket on shelf.

Start and scan first item.

Place item in "bagging" area, NEXT to bag.

Repeat with next item until all scanned.

Pay for items. Usually with a scrunched-up note that will only be accepted on the 15th try.

Pack bag with your items. Very slowly and methodically.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement