Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

messrs wrote: »
    I often thought that sometimes there is no 'job' , but that rec agencies have to interview X number of people per week and that's why the have these up to reach their quotas - not saying its true , just my opinion

Nah, the recruitment agencies only get paid for each person placed in a company.
    ie, when the person starts work.

The individual recruiters working in those agencies get a low basic pay and the rest is commission that they earn per person placed. There is no other way for them to earn.

But they have been known to post false adds to build up their library of active CVs that can help them quickly get candidates for interview when a role comes available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Apple and whatever they did to render the iPod function of an iPhone useless!!

I did a restore last week and spent an hour putting music back onto it, I'm now sitting on a plane waiting to take off and find I have no music on the device!! Not 1 fcuking song!!!

Starting to lose my patience with Apple, they are certainly not the bastion of reliability they once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

My car trying to kill me!! Pressed brakes, car kept going. Luckily no one coming onto roundabout at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The afternoon slump. And also, my body clock being completely out of synch with the rest of the world. Waking before 8am is torture. Full consciousness only occurs at approximately midday. By 7pm I'm starting to feel good again. 11pm? Let's get this party started! OH's light out at midnight, I'm still there at 1am, bopping :) Hit the sack around 2.... and then it is suddenly 7am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

"No tailgating" signs for going under barriers. I mean what's the point? If a person is going to tailgate they would do it anyway. It's like putting up a "no stealing" sign in a shop. It's very different to a "no speeding" sign, which is there to remind people and to tell them this is not a good place to speed, and which everyone involved has a plausible interest in taking heed of.

I'm sure all it does in reality is give people the idea of tailgating or say that it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

When people have notifications on their phones. Just press the app please you inconsiderate a$$hole!

Also when someone turns up/down the volume on tv/car radio etc and leave it on an odd no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Oh No, I was in Malawi some years ago, knew I forgot something, to set up a facebook account, and fill it with pic's...darn it...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

tonto24 wrote: »
    When people have notifications on their phones. Just press the app please you inconsiderate a$$hole!

Also when someone turns up/down the volume on tv/car radio etc and leave it on an odd no.

People who are having a text conversation on their phones with someone with messages flying back and forth every few seconds and they leave their goddamn message tone on the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Just walked in the door and the house is like a sauna, and the house empty.
    Herself left the house 3 hours ago, and isn't back til tomorrow. I'm just back for bite to eat, then out to meet family. So why is the heating on? It's not even cold. "Oh it's raining, I better put on the heating"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Kids in gym changing rooms.

I was in the gym today and just after my shower, I sat (wrapped in a towel) on the bench and prepared to get dressed.
    Two kids came over near me and stood there, just looking at me gormlessly.
    Their mother took a seat opposite me and just sat there looking gormlessly too.

I felt very self-conscious as I tried to get dressed and the kids kept running around, then stopping beside me and just gawping at me.

Eventually I had enough, grabbed my bag and moved up to another part of the changing room. I'd had enough of not only the kids looking at me, but their mother aswell.
    When I moved, the kids ran up to where I was and I felt like telling them to eff off.

No I don't think kids are cute and just being kids; I want to get dressed in peace and not having people staring at me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Anyone notice the Dove add playing on tv all the rugby players giving their words of wisdom and have Cian Healy saying the (ironically) "If you can belt out your national anthem"
    but they don't play it SO YA CANT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yugkLjmZyHQ (28 seconds in)

Anyone else think the English Captain Chris Robshaw (?) is the spit the guy in the wheelchair in Fair City????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Had the teenage sister of our ex next door nightmares shouting 'whore, whore, look at the whore' at me when I was at our local shopping centre today:confused: Em, yeah love, I'm a respectable, law abiding married woman, remind me again, how many of your sisters kids share the same daddy?, so that would be none then. Oh the irony.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Rippington

Had the teenage sister of our ex next door nightmares shouting 'whore, whore, look at the whore' at me when I was at our local shopping centre today:confused: Em, yeah love, I'm a respectable, law abiding married woman, remind me again, how many of your sisters kids share the same daddy?, so that would be none then. Oh the irony.:rolleyes:
    Some day she might say something similar to another person and get a good pasting .

Rippington wrote: »
    Some day she might say something similar to another person and get a good pasting .

The whole family are utter scumbags, most have criminal records. I just blank her as if I don't even see or hear her, I wouldn't give her the satisfaction. Brawling in the streets is something her mother, aunts, sisters and pretty much most of her relatives, male and female have been known to do, even when pregnant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

tonto24 wrote: »
    OCD OCD OCD !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Cyclists who cycle in the middle of the road preventing traffic from passing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

JillyQ wrote: »
    Cyclists who cycle in the middle of the road preventing traffic from passing them.

Or just cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

The "hilarious" Roy Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I can remember a frozen pizza from the mid nineties, that had peach on it. I'm almost 100% sure it was Goodfellas. Yet anyone I've ever said it to has looked at me like I'm nuts, and I can't find evidence of it online. It was lovely, and I know I didn't make it up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

The afternoon slump. And also, my body clock being completely out of synch with the rest of the world. Waking before 8am is torture. Full consciousness only occurs at approximately midday. By 7pm I'm starting to feel good again. 11pm? Let's get this party started! OH's light out at midnight, I'm still there at 1am, bopping :) Hit the sack around 2.... and then it is suddenly 7am :(

And the righteousness of morning people who seem to imply that your night-owl ways are a moral failing that you are choosing not to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

73Cat wrote: »
    I can remember a frozen pizza from the mid nineties, that had peach on it. I'm almost 100% sure it was Goodfellas. Yet anyone I've ever said it to has looked at me like I'm nuts, and I can't find evidence of it online. It was lovely, and I know I didn't make it up :(

mmm sounds nice. I love pineapple on pizza and one of my friends cant understand it but he doesn't understand why I love banana sandwiches either :)

TA neighbours evil fat cat is sitting outside on my windowsill looking in at me all morning. She keeps making eye contact with me in a bid to get a staring competition going but I keep looking away first! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

mmm sounds nice. I love pineapple on pizza and one of my friends cant understand it but he doesn't understand why I love banana sandwiches either :)

TA neighbours evil fat cat is sitting outside on my windowsill looking in at me all morning. She keeps making eye contact with me in a bid to get a staring competition going but I keep looking away first! :mad:

Fruit on pizza is amazing. I remember being able to get fresh pizza at Super Valu with mandarin orange pieces on them. Divine! Banana sandwiches are lovely too:)

I'm about to lose my mind. There is a wedge of lime stuck in the neck of a Corona bottle here, and I can't get it out. It sounds like I have very little to be worrying about, but if I have to put it to be be recycled like that, I'll be really upset :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

73Cat wrote: »
    There is a wedge of lime stuck in the neck of a Corona bottle here, and I can't get it out.

I'm TA'd I cant join your afternoon boozey session!! :D
    EDIT - just realised you're recycling!!
    Ah well, just crack open a few more now to do more 'recycling!)

My real TA is that you really can't have a discussion with 'I think it used to be / was' because the internet means you really should check whether it is the case or not!!

It seems better when someone made an educated guess, and you could discuss, instead of just laying down the facts.... *whumph* there you go...

It's just made everything so booorrinnggg

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Doctor made me get blood tests done for a check up this morning and I've had a headache since :( Oh and they taped the cottonball to my arm and used so much tape I only have about an inch of skin not covered. Seriously why if I move it pulls my skin and I want to rip it off but the amunt is daunting and water did nothing

nicki11 wrote: »
    Doctor made me get blood tests done for a check up this morning and I've had a headache since :( Oh and they taped the cottonball to my arm and used so much tape I only have about an inch of skin not covered. Seriously why if I move it pulls my skin and I want to rip it off but the amunt is daunting and water did nothing

That's a bugger. Don't rip it off though, that tape goes on like glue. It's much less painful if you peel a corner back gently, and using the other hand hold the tape while gently peeling it back with the other hand. Actually that sounds quite rude, but trust me.:D

I've had a nasty headache since yesterday and nothing will shift it, nothing. It eases off a bit if I through enough painkillers at it but it won't go, I think it's tension and teeth grinding.

Jasus H, the latest fcukwit looking for sponsorship via facebook, 'I need to raise 3 grand so I can spend a month nursing in Vietnam. Fcuk me, but how about just giving that money to hospital you're gonna 'volunteer' in instead of expecting people to pay for a months holiday in Vietnam. Fcuking tool.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

That's a bugger. Don't rip it off though, that tape goes on like glue. It's much less painful if you peel a corner back gently, and using the other hand hold the tape while gently peeling it back with the other hand. Actually that sounds quite rude, but trust me.:D

Thanks that worked and I just put a normal small plaster over it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Militant and myopic sports fans (usually those of the egg-chasing persuasion) who look at you as if you have two heads should you voice an opinion they don't agree with. I made the point earlier that since South Africa topped the group in the world cup, that their defeat to Japan seems less a shock, and used examples from other sports as comparative shocks that outweigh it.

Now, I work in the sports journalism industry, and would never articulate anything without any logical and clear evidence to back me up, and also have a thick-skin when it comes to people maybe not agreeing with what I write. But it seems to me that should I say anything about rugby, that they come down off the bandwagon they've been travelling on just to berate me. And they are incidentally the first ones to jump down the throat of the manager as soon as Ireland inevitably let us down, and indeed have their Leinster jerseys in storage now that they aren't competing as well.

So I suppose what I am trying to convey is that I have encountered many sports fans in numerous guises from various sports down through the years, but it's the rugby-centric variety that are the most insufferable (from personal experience of course). God forbid trying to have a logical arguement with them without them pulling out the "bigot" card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Alan Kelly's voice, just cuts right through me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Bought some grapes, assuming them to be seedless. Wasn't the case.

I will be spitting out seeds for the night :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Exams.They annoy me to no end. And I've just realised that I have at least one every single week from now until Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

when your listening in to neighbours having sex and they finish before you have !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Cyclists on the footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Could have put this on the Dumb FB thread but thought it would be better appreciated here :D
    Someone on my FB liked a Julia Roberts post.
    In it, she, JR, is purportedly wearing no make up.
    She goes on about how "Women should love themselves from the inside out. The outside doesn't count, its the inside thats beautiful, hence my no make up pic. You dont need surgery/cosmetics to fix you, and if you do then you need to look for your inner beauty" yada yada la la la.

Ah here.....:mad:

No 1:
    She is wearing make up, albeit eyebrow and and mascara make up(at the very least)in the no make up shot AND its filtered to fukc.

No 2: She is JULIA ROBERTS. She was graced with good genes to begin with. Very few of us(not me though, I'm FABULOUS :P)can have that.

No 3: SHE HAS HAD PLASTIC SURGERY!!!!!!
    She has had a nose job at the VERY least. From my humble eye, she has also had botox, naso-labial fillers, eye lift. She also colours her hair(as the vast majority of women do, but don't claim natural beauty for that either).

Jesus!!!!
    Talk about a major humble brag fake!!

Women have enough to bloody contend with without this crapola and there are thousands of these fools liking it :rolleyes:
    "I love you Julia, you are such a natural beauty"

Dopes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Being awake now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

efb wrote: »
    Being awake now

I am TA at being awake now....so cant imagine how bad it is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

My classroom is freezing!! :(

The fact that Android phones can not natively have the home screen in landscape.
    Every app can run in landscape but the home screen forces you back to portrait (it's worse as you can see the screen actually in landscape prior to it rotating back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Smidge wrote: »
    Could have put this on the Dumb FB thread but thought it would be better appreciated here :D
    She goes on about how "Women should love themselves from the inside out. The outside doesn't count, its the inside thats beautiful, hence my no make up pic. You dont need surgery/cosmetics to fix you, and if you do then you need to look for your inner beauty" yada yada la la la.

No 1:
    She is wearing make up, albeit eyebrow and and mascara make up(at the very least)in the no make up shot AND its filtered to fukc.

No 2: She is JULIA ROBERTS. She was graced with good genes to begin with. Very few of us(not me though, I'm FABULOUS :P)can have that.

She has had a nose job at the VERY least. From my humble eye, she has also had botox, naso-labial fillers, eye lift. She also colours her hair(as the vast majority of women do, but don't claim natural beauty for that either).

Jesus!!!!

Women have enough to bloody contend with without this crapola and there are thousands of these fools liking it :rolleyes:

Dopes.

Not to mention the super airbrushed look she has when advertising for cosmtic brand Lancome which gave us the feckin complex in the first place :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

One of my TAs is Julia Roberts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Jasus H, the latest fcukwit looking for sponsorship via facebook, 'I need to raise 3 grand so I can spend a month nursing in Vietnam. Fcuk me, but how about just giving that money to hospital you're gonna 'volunteer' in instead of expecting people to pay for a months holiday in Vietnam. Fcuking tool.:mad:

Then they post about a thousand photos and none them of actually doing any volunteer work. I never give money to these, if people want to go out somewhere to volunteer or nursing etc, do it off their own back. Prefer to give money to worthy home based charities not some person looking for a free holiday

Smidge wrote: »

No 1:

Jesus!!!!

Dopes.

I've been known to post replies to such drivel telling people to f*ck off, after I've had a few drinks. In the last year, my friend count has decreased by about 60. :P I cannot tolerate this inner beauty shíteology. It's up there with the "real women are fat" brigade.

jamesbere wrote: »
    Then they post about a thousand photos and none them of actually doing any volunteer work. I never give money to these, if people want to go out somewhere to volunteer or nursing etc, do it off their own back. Prefer to give money to worthy home based charities not some person looking for a free holiday

I know someone like this, spent the best part of her twenties off saving some kind of rare snails in Madagascar. Like, :confused: What about our own animals? Save some of them? Oh but of course, you can't boast about saving Irish cats and dogs on social networking sites. People will just think you're boring. Saving the Madagascan snails though, well that's very f*cking exotic isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

People who refer to euros in the singular.

'That'll be fifty euro please'.

We put an 's' to signify plurals in English.

Some ad popped up on a site I was just on and instead of a standard "no thanks " button to clear it, I had to click one that said, "no thanks, new ideas make me feel uncomfortable". F*ck off :mad:

liam24 wrote: »

I always thought that the plural of euro was er....euro?

Edit: apparently, the European Commission adopted "euro" as the plural and this is the official plural, but the Directorate General for Translation advised using "euros" for publications intended for the general public.

I'm TA that this new information might have pushed some old, valuable information down into the muck where I can no longer access it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I know someone like this, spent the best part of her twenties off saving some kind of rare snails in Madagascar. Like, :confused: What about our own animals? Save some of them? Oh but of course, you can't boast about saving Irish cats and dogs on social networking sites. People will just think you're boring. Saving the Madagascan snails though, well that's very f*cking exotic isn't it.
    jamesbere wrote: »

We're not alone, I posted something similar a while ago in this thread and it was well received, people are copping onto these acts quickly nowadays. As a follow on I had someone in work complaining about lack of donations on something similar recently. He got the hump when all around the table took the "we're not paying for your glorified holiday" stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

liam24 wrote: »

It's controversial -

Linguistic issues concerning the euro

Sheeps :p

chillin117 wrote: »
    OCD OCD OCD !

I like to pretend that the temperature in the car is my age. This morning I was 20.5 :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement