Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I know someone like this, spent the best part of her twenties off saving some kind of rare snails in Madagascar. Like, :confused: What about our own animals? Save some of them? Oh but of course, you can't boast about saving Irish cats and dogs on social networking sites. People will just think you're boring. Saving the Madagascan snails though, well that's very f*cking exotic isn't it.

Wtf, snails. Hope she wasnt looking for donations

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

I always thought that the plural of euro was er....euro?

Edit: apparently, the European Commission adopted "euro" as the plural and this is the official plural, but the Directorate General for Translation advised using "euros" for publications intended for the general public.

I'm TA that this new information might have pushed some old, valuable information down into the muck where I can no longer access it :P

Regardless of what they recommended, I don't think the guidelines devised by a bunch of eurocrats, who mainly speak English only as a second language, should lead to us tearing up the rules of English grammar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

jamesbere wrote: »
    Then they post about a thousand photos and none them of actually doing any volunteer work. I never give money to these, if people want to go out somewhere to volunteer or nursing etc, do it off their own back. Prefer to give money to worthy home based charities not some person looking for a free holiday

Exactly, and I dare say that the hospital would love 3 grand to spend on things they really need instead of being lumbered with some Irish young 'wan trying to beef up her nursing CV as well as whore for likes on FB. It won't stop until people call them on it. It just annoys the hell out of me at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Exactly, and I dare say that the hospital would love 3 grand to spend on things they really need instead of being lumbered with some Irish young 'wan trying to beef up her nursing CV as well as whore for likes on FB. It won't stop until people call them on it. It just annoys the hell out of me at this point.

I have to admit that this type thing did not bother me before...but I am mad as hell now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

liam24 wrote: »
    Regardless of what they recommended, I don't think the guidelines devised by a bunch of eurocrats, who mainly speak English only as a second language, should lead to us tearing up the rules of English grammar!

But don't forget the exceptions... (which the English language is full of!)

deer
    moose
    sheep
    bison
    salmon
    pike
    trout
    fish
    swine

Personally, I prefer 'Euro' :P

TA - When someone else sits on your office chair when you're away from your desk and fiddles with the settings and then you can't get comfy again :mad:

this was posted recently, but is needed again! :D
    http://www.theonion.com/article/6-day-visit-to-rural-african-village-completely-ch-35083

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Perhaps, though if your gripe is the rules of English Grammar being torn up, you'll pretty much find TA's all over Ireland :P, "I was sat" being a particular bug bear of mine, as well as this new trend of using an adjective in the wrong place - "we're rewarding brave" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...you'll pretty much find TA's all over Ireland :P, "I was sat" being a particular bug bear of mine...

This gets on my nerves as well. The correct form is of course "Ah wur sat"! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

People who refer to euros in the singular.

'That'll be fifty euro please'.

We put an 's' to signify plurals in English.

I use both. I sometimes say euros and euro. I was trying to think why i do this. I think its subconscious because it depends on whether i am thinking or associating with a single fifty note or multiple notes or coins.

This annoys me because some of it is news to me:

http://listverse.com/2011/06/07/top-10-misused-english-words/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Trying to sell my mothers old phone it was a flagship phone last year a Samsung S5.

Would you swap a iPhone 4 for it.

Would you swap a iPhone 4s and you pay me 50 euros.

Swap a Broken screen S3 + 50 euros.

Complete face pam to it all you need not to get angry at people and there piss takes LoL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

TA that the annoying gremlin shyte is back on Boards.ie. I can't quote posts, I can't see my own posts to just check that I actually posted and it seems almost impossible to get to the last page of a thread. No doubt I'll probably have to refresh the page about 20 times and click in and out of the thread, just to be sure this actually posted.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The last page of posts on most threads is still turning into the one before it for me. It's happening the most with this thread though. Now the TA thread is becoming a TA :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

TA that the annoying gremlin shyte is back on Boards.ie. I can't quote posts, I can't see my own posts to just check that I actually posted and it seems almost impossible to get to the last page of a thread. No doubt I'll probably have to refresh the page about 20 times and click in and out of the thread, just to be sure this actually posted.:(

The worst, and I mean the worst, is when you type out a really, really long, waffly reply that's probably going nowhere but there's a point in there somewhere, and press the "Post reply" button -

"You cannot reply to a post you cannot see"

Well fcuk you from a height! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

OAP's that step out in front of oncoming traffic like they're Moses parting the Red Sea...get off the fucking road :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The over-obtrusiveness of the media exposure in the Irish rugby camp. I don't know about anyone else, but this is meant to represent Ireland's best ever chance of winning the damn thing, so it almost hints at unprofessional how regular footage is emerging "behind-the-scenes". I for one couldn't give a feck about how "hilarious" Paddy Jackson is. Would be more concerned about him practising his kicking should he be called upon to kick a vital one if Sexton goes off injured.

I mean the English team got flak at the last World Cup for acting the bollix off the field, but it seems that Ireland are perhaps a bit laissez-faire so far themselves, which maybe explains their rustiness last day out against Italy.

Although perhaps they are enjoying the fun while it lasts as they are fully aware of the tide of critcism that is sure to come their way as soon as they inevitably come a cropper against France and the All Blacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

This annoys me because some of it is news to me:

http://listverse.com/2011/06/07/top-10-misused-english-words/

The misuse of "decimate" always annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Instead of clicking on the page number of the thread, just click on the '>', if you haven't already. Worked anytime I tried it (after being diverted to the second last page on a few different threads).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

People who use acronyms and then repeat the last word in that acronym.

Examples

- I need to find an A.T.M. machine

- I have to pay my D.I.R.T. tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

everlast75 wrote: »

Examples

The M in that one doesn't always stand for Machine. :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Kev W wrote: »

Get a grIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Examples

Kev W wrote: »

From InternetSlang.com

"Automated Teller Machine
    The definition of ATM is "At The Moment" or "Automated Teller Machine (cash machine)"
    The Meaning of ATM. ATM means "At The Moment" or "Automated Teller Machine (cash machine)"
    So now you know - ATM means "At The Moment" or "Automated Teller Machine (cash machine)" - don't thank us."

:p

From InternetSlang.com

"Automated Teller Machine
    The definition of ATM is "At The Moment" or "Automated Teller Machine (cash machine)"
    The Meaning of ATM. ATM means "At The Moment" or "Automated Teller Machine (cash machine)"
    So now you know - ATM means "At The Moment" or "Automated Teller Machine (cash machine)" - don't thank us."

:p
    ATM...ass to mouth :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Dawson Street roadworks. There is one side of the road completely blocked off to pedestrians and the other side is packed with people trying to move in both directions. Cue awkward side shuffles, barging into the backs of strangers, stepped toes and a very T/A'd boardsie :(

TA'd that every time there's a pet thread the fcukwitted cat haters come out in force, we get it, you don't like cats, so fcuk off with your nasty bullcrap already.:mad:

TA'd that every time there's a pet thread the fcukwitted cat haters come out in force, we get it, you don't like cats, so fcuk off with your nasty bullcrap already.:mad:

Mod

Do not drag annoyances from other threads into this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

People that bring babies into the office.

No I don't need to hear your screaming crying brat when I'm trying to get some work done.

Congratulations on the sex btw... ugh.

I spent a lot of money I could ill-afford on makeup. First, I said I wouldn't. Then I felt hard done by and the chatterbox started - "you spend sixty euro on cat food but you wont buy yourself nice makeup?", "you'd spend it in the vets if your dog so much as looked crooked", "you do xy & z for your parents/OH". So I thought feck it, I'll splash out.

Now I feel guilty.

My cats will starve :eek:

My parents will end up on the street :eek::eek:

The OH will be going to work naked :eek::eek::eek:

There'll be no food for the babbies :eek::eek::eek::eek:

At least I'll look pretty though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Now I feel guilty.

My cats will starve :eek:

My parents will end up on the street :eek::eek:

The OH will be going to work naked :eek::eek::eek:

There'll be no food for the babbies :eek::eek::eek::eek:

At least I'll look pretty though :)

That's the main thing. At least you'll look pretty. And the cats will starve.

(Sorry, FelineOverLord!) :p :pac:

People that call mustard custard

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Paddy Power's marketing department. Some of the stuff they put out is cringe inducing and it's not half as witty as they think it is. You get the impression that there's a lot of youngish unfunny Irish guys suggesting ideas at their brainstorming sessions.

• Advertisement

Examples

I've forgotten my PIN number :pac:

Paddy Power's marketing department. Some of the stuff they put out is cringe inducing and it's not half as witty as they think it is. You get the impression that there's a lot of youngish unfunny Irish guys suggesting ideas at their brainstorming sessions.

I think Dads in their 50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

LIFT your feet when you are walking ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

In the car...sun shining...pull down both sun visors...sun goes in between them above the mirror...fcuk off sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I really can't get used to this 40 posts per page layout at all, it's so bloody long it takes aaaages to scroll through and I begin to lose interest very quickly.

Any time it came up, people said it's great. I think the 20 posts per page is just more comfortable for reading :(

Very trivial, but annoying nonetheless :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Not to mention the super airbrushed look she has when advertising for cosmtic brand Lancome which gave us the feckin complex in the first place :)

I dont mind when anyone is making a living and is made up/airbrushed/filtered to within an inch of their lives(be they male or female)on an ad or in a movie etc. We all pretty much know by now that NOBODY genuinely, really looks like that without help. She looks fabulous in those ads. But then again, so would you and I if we had all of what she had to get there :D

My TA with it was, it was a photo of herself, put up by herself, with her own words on it.
    And it was complete and utter lies.
    "Oooo, look at me......I'm so naturally beautiful from the inside that I glow on the outside and can show my face without makeup coz I'm amazing"

I've no time for that attitude, it sucks imo(I have a very low bullsh1t threshold :D)

Meow ;):p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Smidge wrote: »
    I dont mind when anyone is making a living and is made up/airbrushed/filtered to within an inch of their lives(be they male or female)on an ad or in a movie etc. We all pretty much know by now that NOBODY genuinely, really looks like that without help. She looks fabulous in those ads. But then again, so would you and I if we had all of what she had to get there :D

My TA with it was, it was a photo of herself, put up by herself, with her own words on it.
    And it was complete and utter lies.
    "Oooo, look at me......I'm so naturally beautiful from the inside that I glow on the outside and can show my face without makeup coz I'm amazing"

I've no time for that attitude, it sucks imo(I have a very low bullsh1t threshold :D)

Haha i know Smidge! She doesnt really bother me at all but i was just joking how on one hand shes giving advice about natural beauty and on the other selling unnatural beauty but then again she managed to make a relationship between a poor struggling prostitute and a rich pompous punter seem really romantic and happy ever after in Pretty Woman so she does have a knack for those types of things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

MrVestek wrote: »

No I don't need to hear your screaming crying brat when I'm trying to get some work done.

How about the library? Happened me earlier. I'm trying to concentrate so I can get a decent book. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Some ad popped up on a site I was just on and instead of a standard "no thanks " button to clear it, I had to click one that said, "no thanks, new ideas make me feel uncomfortable". F*ck off :mad:

That's like when Ryanair makes you check a box saying you'll travel uninsured because you don't buy it from them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

MrVestek wrote: »

Yes. Our office admin dictator, who is usually busy doing nothing (or organising cake sales for charity, which seems to justify spamming everyone with several emails a day), took it one step further. She banned babies to be brought into the office for health and safety reasons, then withdrew the ban when she had successfully ejected her own devil spawn. I actually hope she trips over a baby in the office some day and breaks her neck. No more cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

TA'd that I had my flu jab this afternoon and I should have rescheduled because I realised beforehand that one of my lovely visitors has given me a cold, so now I have a cold, and tomorrow I'll probably have some flu like symptoms and I'm already run down and I have a cold sore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

Medusa22 wrote: »
    TA'd that I had my flu jab this afternoon and I should have rescheduled because I realised beforehand that one of my lovely visitors has given me a cold, so now I have a cold, and tomorrow I'll probably have some flu like symptoms and I'm already run down and I have a cold sore :(

Time for a grog :pac:

I am bloody TA with myself that I have bid over a hundred euro for something on ebay that I really dont need...and I am not sure I like.

7 hours to go....am hoping someone will outbid me!

When it rains it pours. No kissing for you for the next day or so.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Menas wrote: »
    When it rains it pours. No kissing for you for the next day or so.:D

Nothing says like rejection like your OH kissing you on the cheek :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I've got a feckin' cold too, 2nd one in about 3 months

edit: why do I persist in buying/taking expensive powdered paracetamol (with lemon flavour!)

Seven Worlds will Collide

Sorry you're feeling rough, but thanks for reminding me it's flu jab season. I got the flu jab last year but they were out of the pneumonia jabs and I never went back for it and I've had 5 courses of antibiotics for 2 chest infections:( I'm making sure I get both shots this year, damned immunosuppresants.

I've got a feckin' cold too, 2nd one in about 3 months

edit: why do I persist in buying/taking expensive powdered paracetamol (with lemon flavour!)

Years ago my GP told me the best thing for that was a hot whisky, but I've found that multiple hot whiskys work even better, you can even pop a shot into the lemsip.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Years ago my GP told me the best thing for that was a hot whisky, but I've found that multiple hot whiskys work even better, you can even pop a shot into the lemsip.:D

Thanks but I'm 21 years off it :pac:

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement