Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Losing weight so so slowly, but it seems to go back on instantly, the second I look at a biscuit or crisp. The weekly treat is tonight, snackbox, cheeseburger, jumbo battered sauso, curry dip.

I've lost 11lbs since the beginning of September. It's tough as balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

#pissforequality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Colser wrote: »
    I know the type youre on about and theyre related to those muppets in the supermarket. Buy about 150e worth of groceries but let it all go through before they start to pack it.Then they pull about 100 neatly folded bags out and start the long hard job of packing everything into a specific bag usually taking stuff out again and moving it to another bag:mad::mad:When thats done they start looking for the purse and the loyalty card AND the vouchers. On and on it goes totally oblivious to the people (me) on the verge of a cardiac arrest due to the boiling rage of having to put up with this unnecessary time consuming self centered carry on from totally selfish moronic fcuking people. I will be dug out of one of them some day I swear:(

Even worse is the supermarket shopper who having rooted for loose change and generally fecked about delaying other shoppers, is when they then ask the checkout operator to get their ciggarettes from the tobacco kiosk. Now that really really really boils my blood and it's a ridiculous practice. They should have to go queue at the kiosk themselves.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Rang Irish Water to see if they can answer my queries about 3 bills 2 with my name 1 without, why I hadn't received any communication after sending an application before 30th June deadline and writing to them 3 weeks ago with same enquiry,

Well,

It seems the bills WITH my name are the default bills, The one WITHOUT is after I applied....???(with my name and address)
    I am NOT entitled to the E100, because my application was too late,
    I told her I posted it on the Wednesday before the 30th, (which was 24th)
    What did she tell me.......you'll love this...

We weren't accepting applications then.....WHAT??
    6 days before the closing date you weren't actually accepting application forms.
    Well, I wrote her name down the time I rang and the date, the calls are recorded, they say, but i'd say they'll lose this one.
    Roll on the next bill, i'm not paying a cent, till they sort this sh1t out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,866 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People who wanna pay the water charges and engage with Irish Water... I'm kidding : p. A bit :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

if you google something - and then get the results page - and use the arrow buttons to move up and down ..... then it moves up the list of results in leaps of two or three.
    Instead of one by one - which is what my ocd and laziness demands.

so your search result page might be:

result 1

result 2

result 3

result 4

but if you're on result 4 and press the up arrow the screen/cursor will jump to result 2.
    this forces you to use the mouse.

this adds an unnecessary delay to the instant gratification Im owed by the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Strumms wrote: »
    People who wanna pay the water charges and engage with Irish Water... I'm kidding : p. A bit :p

Well I got my answer, didn't I?? what a total f**k up.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Out for dinner today and I touched my eye, forgetting that I just had a bowl of hot wings for my starter.
    My eye stung for about an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

rosie16 wrote: »
    I have the misfortune of living on the road between two villages so I'm viewed with a certain amount of suspicion from both sides. :rolleyes:

For a wee country the size of Ireland, there's no country on the planet that experiences the level of tribalism that we do. And that's just going from hedgerow to hedgerow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Out for dinner today and I touched my eye, forgetting that I just had a bowl of hot wings for my starter.
    My eye stung for about an hour.

That can be sore! I was cleaning a chilli out once and a seed popped up and landed in my eye. Absolute agony. My face went numb and I was still sore the next day.
    I now wear glasses when cleaning chillies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Jo Malone advent calendar. A snip at €320. Anyone want one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

My wisdom tooth is coming out. It's not too sore but it's so uncomfortable!

People who tidy my stuff, oh God I'm feeling homicidal. The kitchen sink was blocked the other day and there was a bit of a leak under the sink as a result. Mr FOL had himself a tidy under there, not content to rearrange stuff he threw stuff out:eek:, stuff that I didn't want thrown out and put stuff that I use every day at the back of the cupboard behind stuff that gets used once in a blue moon. To add further insult to injury, I had an old hard-backed note pad that was falling apart but was full of important info, that he transcribed stuff from because I hadn't done it yet:mad: Someone is asking for a paddling, oh yes they are, a serious fricking paddling. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Menas wrote: »
    That can be sore! I was cleaning a chilli out once and a seed popped up and landed in my eye. Absolute agony. My face went numb and I was still sore the next day.
    I now wear glasses when cleaning chillies.

Poor you!! Just reading this made my eyes water!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

People who tidy my stuff, oh God I'm feeling homicidal. The kitchen sink was blocked the other day and there was a bit of a leak under the sink as a result. Mr FOL had himself a tidy under there, not content to rearrange stuff he threw stuff out:eek:, stuff that I didn't want thrown out and put stuff that I use every day at the back of the cupboard behind stuff that gets used once in a blue moon. To add further insult to injury, I had an old hard-backed note pad that was falling apart but was full of important info, that he transcribed stuff from because I hadn't done it yet:mad: Someone is asking for a paddling, oh yes they are, a serious fricking paddling. :mad:

I moved into a new house with my ex, his mother came around the day we moved in (to examine it), she arrived downstairs with the drain from the bathroom shower and gave out to us that it was full of hairs, then proceeded to wash it in the kitchen sink. I didn't want to see the old tenants pubes going into our kitchen sink. :( Obviously I'd have had to deal with that job once I'd checked the bathroom myself, but I don't expect others to ask the use the bathroom in my house, and then go digging through the shower drain. :(

Another time she dug through our kitchen bin to find things that should've gone in the recycling bin instead. She probably did find a thing or two, not much, but seriously - who visits a person's house and digs through their bins? Messed up.

Another time, when I was pregnant, I remember coming home from work to find she'd been over and taken it upon herself to rearrange all of my kitchen presses. I pretty much lost it that time. My ex (well my boyfriend at the time) knew that I would, but let her do it anyways. :confused:

I feel your pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Kev W wrote: »
    The misuse of "decimate" always annoys me.

No offence, but the etymological fallacy is my trivial annoyance. Pedantic nitpicking of people's language is such an obnoxious and unlikable quality, but when the correction is actually wrong it's just plain ridiculous

Spoken today, "decimate" obviously, clearly means to kill all or most of, not to kill one in ten.

Oxford gives "Kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of" as the main meaning of the word.

It gives "Kill one in every ten of (a group of people, originally a mutinous Roman legion) as a punishment for the whole group" as an "historical" usage.

Likewise unless we're talking about the reformation, "iconoclasm" definitely means breaking conventions or taboos, not statues.

I have never met anyone so fussy as to insist that "nice" means stupid, ignorant, silly, fastidious etc. despite those words being the source of the modern usage. If I tell someone they look nice, I'm obviously paying them a compliment.

The difference is that "nice" isn't from Greek or Latin, so it doesn't give the usage police the opportunity to feel superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It turns out that it is impossible, these days, to rent a movie DVD. When did this happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

jimgoose wrote: »
    It turns out that it is impossible, these days, to rent a movie DVD. When did this happen??

It's not 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    It's not 2006.

Hmm. Blu-Ray?? :D

I moved into a new house with my ex, his mother came around the day we moved in (to examine it), she arrived downstairs with the drain from the bathroom shower and gave out to us that it was full of hairs, then proceeded to wash it in the kitchen sink. I didn't want to see the old tenants pubes going into our kitchen sink. :( Obviously I'd have had to deal with that job once I'd checked the bathroom myself, but I don't expect others to ask the use the bathroom in my house, and then go digging through the shower drain. :(

Another time she dug through our kitchen bin to find things that should've gone in the recycling bin instead. She probably did find a thing or two, not much, but seriously - who visits a person's house and digs through their bins? Messed up.

Another time, when I was pregnant, I remember coming home from work to find she'd been over and taken it upon herself to rearrange all of my kitchen presses. I pretty much lost it that time. My ex (well my boyfriend at the time) knew that I would, but let her do it anyways. :confused:

I feel your pain!

I'd have lost the plot if my mother in law did that. You deserve an award for showing such restraint.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Before I start, see post 8007 for a post about the same neighbour.
    We'll call her Lisa. We'll call her fella Harry.

This evening my other half and I were slobbing out in front of Strictly Come Dancing; both in our sweats, drinking wine.
    Knock comes to the door.
    Other half goes to answer it.

It's Harry (he doesn't live with her even though they've been together donkey's years).

He says Lisa is passed out in bed, drunk as a skunk. He says she's been drinking all day in the house on her own and he doesn't know why.

He asks other half if he could pop in next door in 2 hours to check on her as he has to go.
    Other half says "Where is she?". Harry says "In bed."
    Other half says "Right, ok."
    Harry fecks off.

I says to other half "You're not going next door to check on a drunk woman in her bedroom."
    Other half says "Better believe I'm not."

Bloody cheek!
    So not only are we now keyholders and have had to let work-men in all day, we now have to check on her like a feckin babysitter?
    There's looking out for your neighbours and then there's taking it one step too far.

Imagine my other half going next door, INTO HER BEDROOM, to check on her?

Imagine her waking up and seeing him? What would she think?
    There could be accusations and all sorts.
    These kind of neighbourly favours are fcuking ridiculous now.

Someone swap houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

Having a mouth ulcer, and regretting all the times I DIDN'T APPRECIATE not having a mouth ulcer.

At the moment, the idea of not having a mouth ulcer is something so heavenly, I can't imagine why I didn't celebrate and make the most of every mouth-ulcer free day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

deex wrote: »
    Having a mouth ulcer, and regretting all the times I DIDN'T APPRECIATE not having a mouth ulcer.

At the moment, the idea of not having a mouth ulcer is something so heavenly, I can't imagine why I didn't celebrate and make the most of every mouth-ulcer free day!

Try having a corneal ulcer. Yes, that's an ulcer on your eye.

It happened me a few years back. I actually wanted to gouge my eye out to be rid of it.

Ever since then, if I'm ever having a rough day, I think back to that time, and things suddenly don't seem so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

Fecking cut my little finger on the corner of my sh*tty cheap mobile phone cover when I reached into my pocket for some change, turns out it got all cracked and sharp at some point. Hasn't been bleeding but it's all cut and sore just beneath the nail and I can't type with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Went to sleep with a headache, woke up with the same headache.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

No offence, but the etymological fallacy is my trivial annoyance. Pedantic nitpicking of people's language is such an obnoxious and unlikable quality, but when the correction is actually wrong it's just plain ridiculous

Spoken today, "decimate" obviously, clearly means to kill all or most of, not to kill one in ten.

Oxford gives "Kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of" as the main meaning of the word.

It gives "Kill one in every ten of (a group of people, originally a mutinous Roman legion) as a punishment for the whole group" as an "historical" usage.

Likewise unless we're talking about the reformation, "iconoclasm" definitely means breaking conventions or taboos, not statues.

I have never met anyone so fussy as to insist that "nice" means stupid, ignorant, silly, fastidious etc. despite those words being the source of the modern usage. If I tell someone they look nice, I'm obviously paying them a compliment.

The difference is that "nice" isn't from Greek or Latin, so it doesn't give the usage police the opportunity to feel superior.

yeah, fair enough and whatever but we now live in a time where literally literally no longer means literally

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/according_to_the_dictionary_literally_now_also_means_figuratively_newscred/

**** that.
    this decimates me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Trivially annoyed that the world we live in is such an inhumane place.

Not trivial in itself, yet it is as the awareness of this is far from anything new. So more trivially annoyed that it doesn't get any easier to live with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

trivially annoying when the cat is annoying you for some of the food you're eating and then when you give them some they don't want it at all, and they start to judge you about the disgusting food you're eating

My mother upgraded her steam cleaner and gave me hers yesterday, I've just tried it out and sweet mother of Jaysus what a bloody pain in the arse the thing is. I'd say it took me 3 times as long to do the kitchen floor, then it ran out of water and I'm so pissed off with it that I'm just going to do the hall and bathroom with our ordinary mop. First and last time a steam mop will be used in this house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

fussyonion wrote: »
    latest crazy neighbour weirdness

I get that the first time you didn't realise she was going to take ridiculous liberties, but I'm confused as to why you said "yes" instead of "what the fúck, no" this time....

My mother upgraded her steam cleaner and gave me hers yesterday, I've just tried it out and sweet mother of Jaysus what a bloody pain in the arse the thing is. I'd say it took me 3 times as long to do the kitchen floor, then it ran out of water and I'm so pissed off with it that I'm just going to do the hall and bathroom with our ordinary mop. First and last time a steam mop will be used in this house.

Is it one of the ones you have to hold the the "lever" in while you're also trying to mop?

If so, mines the same, and I just duct taped it permanently "on" because it only works when the power is on anyway.

Makes it much easier to use!

Is it one of the ones you have to hold the the "lever" in while you're also trying to mop?

If so, mines the same, and I just duct taped it permanently "on" because it only works when the power is on anyway.

Makes it much easier to use!

No, it just has an open/closed position and it seems to take about 10 years to heat up, the lead is so short you have to keep switching it to different socket as you go around the kitchen and the only positive thing I can say about it is that at least it didn't cost me anything. :D It's going to live in the shed of forgotten things this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Most thing thats a pain in the a$$ for me is the bus eareann website. Jaysus how can one website have so many irritating problems. And you always need to check for a bus at the worst times and it gets even more frustrating >

TA that I had a lovely sunday lunch out, but am feeling really sleepy now. TA that I have something I need to get done before tomorrow, and can't really go for a sleep right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

People who bring their problems into work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

I had to fly again today. Literally everything annoyed me as always.
    Special thanks to the lovely couple flying with a tiny infant who had only brought "hand luggage" that had to be transferred to the checked luggage area and delayed the start (not by long, but nevertheless!). It seems like the infant had a more developed brain and lamented its parents' stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Your Face wrote:

Or people who bring their work problems home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Or people who bring their work problems home

True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ordered a pizza nearly an hour ago and still no sign :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

I hate it when you're watching a news report of a crime scene and while the reporter is talking the cameraman always has to point his camera at a Garda car or its flashing lights. It drives me crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

They're probably watching the match :pac:

I did a load of exercise last week and I've undone it all by eating my way through the weekend.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Just back from the cinema so:

- People who stroll in late and stand there gormlessly looking around in the dark for somewhere to sit.
    - People who rustle their bag of sugar loudly during the quiet moments of the film.
    - People who check their mobiles during the film. A really good one at that ( Sicario )

Also, I just logged on to facebook and came across somebody describing Irelands performance today as ' Wow. Just Wow.' Somebody who is actually OK in person. It makes it doubly annoying.

No doubt I'll browse through a few threads on boards and I'll come across somebody saying ' This ', in reference to a post they agree with. Cretins.

And if I see ' happy out ' anywhere within the next hour I'll just throw myself out the window.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

have recently heard references (in film, websites) to prices in Canadian or Australian dollars.

How the fck do the people who quote a price in non-Canadian/Australian media expect the reader to know what the fck it means.

0.68 euro : 1 Can Dollar
    0.64 euro : 1 Aus Dollar

Its fcking meaningless to 90% of the world who don't know wtf a Canadian or Australian dollar is worth.

Why not just quote in Bahraini Dinar and just be like hmm yeah think Ill just leave it at that, could give the equivalent euro/dollar/sterling amount but no ... think Ill leave it in Dinar so they lose all context and have to google it.
    Same fcking thing.

(2.33 euro: 1 BHD )

TA that I never seem fully happy with the temperature in my flat. Get annoyed when it's too cold (as it can be quite a cold flat generally), but then when I put on the heat I feel like I'm roasted.

No thermostat on the heating, so no real way to manage it, but annoying all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Did you give your EIRCode, that is being used by everyone sure,.

Why we paid millions to roll it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Your Face wrote: »

People who don't come into work because of their problems. So many people think that their job features last on their list of priorites. "Oh I didn't get a wink of sleep with the kid teething last night so I wont be in" or "I've to get the car serviced" or "the husband was called in and I've to stay home and mind the goldfish" :confused: It's your job, you get paid for being here, not for shoving it to the bottom of the pile every time something inconveniences you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Pursuits.

:mad:

Also people who respond to long running threads with the same answer several times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ordered a takeaway the other night. Used the 'delivery time' option to request it for an hour and a half's time. Twenty minutes later it arrived! Nobody ready to eat - had to keep it warm in the oven.

If I tried to get it in twenty minutes I wouldn't be able to! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Marketing's deliberate misuse of "real" and "brave".

Like, "we're rewarding brave" or "real values blank".

what.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement