Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Everything is annoying me today so if the world could just form an orderly queue and then **** off quietly I'd appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I got my tongue pierced years ago and I haven't been able to blow a bubble since :(

*Points and laughs like Nelson from The Simpsons*.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

selous wrote: »
    Driving to work this morning, 85km down, 2 to go, oil light started flashing turned off stereo, heard a strange loud flicking/ticking noise coming from engine, pressed the clutch, car died, waited a few minutes, started again same noise, got off the motorway at a roundabout, died with a CLUNK all dash lights on, never had an ounce of bother in 155600km, now this,
    It didn't sound cheap,
    In the lap of the gods now, well the main dealer (cringe)
    That sounds non-trivial, to be honest. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Garage STILL haven't looked at it, but when I rang yesterday, he told me the engine will probably have to come out.......so not trivial anymore...:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

People who are stingy with money. P1sses me off so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Can a week go by without gremlins affecting this site? Every post I've tried to make, takes about 2 minutes to actually post into a thread :(. And I've had to log in and out multiple times because I'm getting this.

I can't see any links, tabs, usernames, titles ect. Fecking crazy shít and it's getting real tiresome.

• Advertisement

Garage STILL haven't looked at it, but when I rang yesterday, he told me the engine will probably have to come out.......so not trivial anymore...:(:(

They rang, I fell out of my shoes :eek:, window shopping for another car now. wasn't trivial after all. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

They rang, I fell out of my shoes :eek:, window shopping for another car now. wasn't trivial after all. :(

Good luck! Something similar happened to me recently but I was lucky and found a "new" car soon, so there is hope :)

Good luck! Something similar happened to me recently but I was lucky and found a "new" car soon, so there is hope :)

I loved that car...twas my first new one, I was prepared for a 3-4k estimate I wasn't even half way there, :( (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

In one of the chill insurance ads the girl at the end goes: "do you like that joke? It's about as funny as your head".

What the ****. There is no logic to that joke, there is no point to it. What does she mean when she says "about as funny as your head"? :confused:

"as funny as" surely means degree or level of funniness, not type of funniness.

If she said "it's funny alright..... funny like your head!".... okay, that makes perfect sense. Of course the writing's terrible, but at least it makes basic bloody sense in english.

"about as funny as your head" in that context is a new type of english that I'm unfamiliar with. Just because the ad is somehow meant to be light-hearted, doesn't mean that suddenly normal rules of english don't count. It seriously does my head in every time I hear it.

And aside from that, what is the girl hostile for anyway, why was she insulting that guy and saying the joke was terrible. It makes no sense to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

OldNotWIse wrote:
    I saw a man this morning trying to cross a road (where there was no crossing or lights) on his bike, holding two dogs on two separate leads (one on each side) and being followed by a girl that was (I would guess) only barely school going age, on her bike. Talk about a travelling circus. What happens if any of the three beings he has in his control decide to do something unpredictable (as kids and animals are bound to do)? Dogs see a cat or another dog, and decide to run different directions, child sees I don't know...a frozen themed ball in the drain or something.... Recipe for disaster. And then he shoots us a dirty look for stopping the car because the car in front of us stopped, and you know...he couldn't cross the road with his travelling circus....at the point in the road where traffic was filtering off left and there was no crossing or lights....

Absolutely ridiculous! People have no common sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

In one of the chill insurance ads the girl at the end goes: "do you like that joke? It's about as funny as your head".

What the ****. There is no logic to that joke, there is no point to it. What does she mean when she says "about as funny as your head"? :confused:

If she said "it's funny alright..... funny like your head!".... okay, that makes perfect sense. Of course the writing's terrible, but at least it makes basic bloody sense in english.

"about as funny as your head" in that context is a new type of english that I'm unfamiliar with. Just because the ad is somehow meant to be light-hearted, doesn't mean that suddenly normal rules of english don't count. It seriously does my head in every time I hear it.

And aside from that, what is the girl hostile for anyway, why was she insulting that guy and saying the joke was terrible. It makes no sense to begin with.

Nothing funny about Chill Insurance at all. Esp when they take a DD twice!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Can a week go by without gremlins affecting this site? Every post I've tried to make, takes about 2 minutes to actually post into a thread :(. And I've had to log in and out multiple times because I'm getting this.

I can't see any links, tabs, usernames, titles ect. Fecking crazy shít and it's getting real tiresome.

Those invisible posts are probably mine.

You need Adobe Awesomeness to display them. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,926 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Because she's Jennifer Maguire and that's her schtick. Which is singularly unfunny, as you've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I loved that car...twas my first new one, I was prepared for a 3-4k estimate I wasn't even half way there, :( (again)

I recently had to change my first car too, I was gutted. I wasn't expecting it at all. She's running perfect it's just the rust on the underbody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

They probably want to put a brand new engine into it. You could always get one from a breakers yard, but then you'd have to find someone to fit it. Happened to me before and I just changed it myself - new engine for €600! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Sorry for laughing, but that's hilarious :pac:

Wanna hear the ad now though.

Some absolute DICKHEAD with one of those massive big baby carriers on the FRONT of his bike just pulled straight out of a junction without stopping at all and then when he did decided to stop, the baby carrier part was out on the main road and he was in safely behind the junction and me booting towards the kids. Not even a light on his bike.

Lash the kids out in front of traffic there buddy, long as you're ok, be grand sure. Prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

I find it "mildly" infuriating when the Fitbit app on my phone gets itself in a jingle and doesn't record my run - how I miss seeing my splits, HR etc afterwards. Naturally, this only ever happens if I think my performance has improved.

Also, there's a guy at work, who's really sound, but I don't like the way he says "hello". Or the way he laughs. (I feel like an absolute thunderc*nt typing that!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The new Telecom Éireann Ad.

OK, We get it already!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

On a bus that has neither wifi nor sockets working.

Feck sake.
    Remember when people used to read a book on the bus? They used to work without wifi or power. Or some people just looked out the window as the world went by...

On the other hand, I've a very annoying colleague who always has to make a comment. Every time I meet/pass by him, it "Big Badly Drunk Boy!!*" (I'm about a foot taller than him). I'm tempted to call him 'Little Dave' but I don't.

He cycles to work, as do I, and if my bike is out of commission or I just decide to walk to work, he always has to say "No-Bike Badly Drunk Boy!!*".

Three times in the past 2 weeks, he has commented on the way I locked my bike so I was devastated to hear that his bile was just robbed. (I've an alibi.)

I probably brought it on myself as most people dislike him, or just think he's creepy (especially females), but I tolerate him.

*Badly Drunk Boy is my real name.

• Advertisement

The luas this morning was a cesspit of people hacking and loudly swallowing the contents of their nasal passages. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    The luas this morning was a cesspit of people hacking and loudly swallowing the contents of their nasal passages. Disgusting.

I don't know, would it be better if they spat the phlegm out on the luas? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

You really should never visit china...and very definitely never take public transport in china...or stand at a bus stop without an umbrella!

Remember when people used to read a book on the bus? They used to work without wifi or power. Or some people just looked out the window as the world went by...

On the other hand, I've a very annoying colleague who always has to make a comment. Every time I meet/pass by him, it "Big Badly Drunk Boy!!*" (I'm about a foot taller than him). I'm tempted to call him 'Little Dave' but I don't.

He cycles to work, as do I, and if my bike is out of commission or I just decide to walk to work, he always has to say "No-Bike Badly Drunk Boy!!*".

Three times in the past 2 weeks, he has commented on the way I locked my bike so I was devastated to hear that his bile was just robbed. (I've an alibi.)

I probably brought it on myself as most people dislike him, or just think he's creepy (especially females), but I tolerate him.

*Badly Drunk Boy is my real name.

Your post reminds me of another TA that is people feeling they have a right to comment on your appearance. I grew up with my mothers bItch-ignorant stay at home friends commenting on how tall I was for my age. Just f*ck off the lot of you. Grew up with a complex about my height because of them. And also, why is it that people feel they can comment on your size if you're tall but not if you're small? Similarly, they say things like ,"well aren't you a skinny bItch" or "you must be watching your weight" but never, "Jaysis look at the size of you, have you been eating all the pies?" :(

Menas wrote: »
    You really should never visit china...and very definitely never take public transport in china...or stand at a bus stop without an umbrella!

Eugh..... Humans really are vile.

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I don't know, would it be better if they spat the phlegm out on the luas? ;)

Clearly not, it would be better if they behaved in a civilised fashion and refrained from snorting, hacking and digesting the contents of their nasal passages when sitting on a luas. Or you know, use a tissue?

Reading back through older than old threads because I'm bored and seeing what an out and out sap of a poster I used to be. "Oh my God, I'm a virgin, what goes where?" or "help he hasn't called since we had sex!" (duh) and parping on about relationship insecurities and fighting with people about cats and whether they should be inside or outside. Shame on Old OldNotWIse, she wasn't very wise! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I paid 1.10 for some sweets from a vending machine at an unmanned petrol station near Dublin airport. The machine kept the sweets.

Later, this evening, the garage owner will chew on some nice freeby pastilles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Reading back through older than old threads because I'm bored and seeing what an out and out sap of a poster I used to be. "Oh my God, I'm a virgin, what goes where?" or "help he hasn't called since we had sex!" (duh) and parping on about relationship insecurities and fighting with people about cats and whether they should be inside or outside. Shame on Old OldNotWIse, she wasn't very wise! :p

Don't worry about it, I usually feel this way if I happen upon one of my own posts from last week, let alone years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

When your four item order from Debenhams dispatches as two separate deliveries and the item you need least from it arrives first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Some day Gongoozer..... some day, you'll be stuck at your desk, slaving away and distraught knowing you won't be able to pop out for lunch... but alas!!
    Your saviour! Every day he's asked you, and today will be no different... Your predicament of hunger will be no more as he'll be your knight in shining armour, ready to purchase foodstuffs for you... but will today be the day he asketh no more?
    Do you wish for that day to arrive Gongoozer?
    Do you?

TA - people who walk past my desk in the morning and don't say hello / good morning back as I greet them.
    FFS, just fupping acknowledge you freaks! I'm trying to help your morning!
    I guess not everyone is a morning person...

Up there with the non-greeter in your case is a non-greeter who just looks at you but says nothing after you've greeted. What's that about?! Probably the sort that perceive themselves as your betters, no doubt. Now, unless I'm sure, I always wait for them first and do as they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Up there with the non-greeter in your case is a non-greeter who just looks at you but says nothing after you've greeted. What's that about?! Probably the sort that perceive themselves as your betters, no doubt. Now, unless I'm sure, I always wait for them first and do as they do.

I got that this morning... someone I'm not used to seeing in the office.
    I still blurt out 'hello', only to be met by a reaction as if I'd two heads!

'Why is this person greeting me with such a friendly tone?!?!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

More of a major annoyance than a TA but anyway....

so if you go to the printer to print of all your documents and its run out of paper, don't f**king walk away and leave it, how about filling the tray so your print job can finish!! Went to use the printer just now, huge yellow flashing error across the screen saying load trays!!! Done that & the remaining 50 odd pages of a document comes out, while I have to wait for it all to finish before I can print my 1 page! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

messrs wrote: »
    More of a major annoyance than a TA but anyway....

so if you go to the printer to print of all your documents and its run out of paper, don't f**king walk away and leave it, how about filling the tray so your print job can finish!! Went to use the printer just now, huge yellow flashing error across the screen saying load trays!!! Done that & the remaining 50 odd pages of a document comes out, while I have to wait for it all to finish before I can print my 1 page! :mad:

Whats worse is when someone says they can't refill the tray because it isn't a part of their job description.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Percentage of times I remember to tag on when using the Luas: 99%

Percentage of times that I start to sweat handing over my leap card to an inspector because I can't remember if I tagged on or not: 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

. Shame on Old OldNotWIse, she wasn't very wise! :p
    Sure, weren't we all YoungNotWise once? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Remember it well. Do it quite often. If I'm not working. But this was part of my working day, and I was aiming to do work on the bus - which I did through using my phone as a hotspot.

It's really not a big deal to not be able to work during my working day for a while, hence it being a trivial annoyance.

Some absolute DICKHEAD with one of those massive big baby carriers on the FRONT of his bike just pulled straight out of a junction without stopping at all and then when he did decided to stop, the baby carrier part was out on the main road and he was in safely behind the junction and me booting towards the kids. Not even a light on his bike.

Lash the kids out in front of traffic there buddy, long as you're ok, be grand sure. Prick.

Was that around the luas line on the new slip road near the Gallops estate (Murphystown Rd)
    I seen similar guy in all his cycling gear with 2 kids on a front 2 seat carrier (cool looking contraption) cycling thru the red lights at the Y junction there, didn't notice his head turning to see if cars were coming the other way,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Sleeping on your arm :-o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Losing a shopping list.
    Had a good big long list of stuff we needed but seem to have lost it.

So now I will only discover that we need X when I go to use X and will be TA'ed that I dont have X because I lost the damned shopping list that had X on it- damnit!

• Advertisement

They probably want to put a brand new engine into it. You could always get one from a breakers yard, but then you'd have to find someone to fit it. Happened to me before and I just changed it myself - new engine for €600! :D

I'm wondering would a new one be cheaper, cant get one in a breaker or IVI on Naas road, (but said he'd ring around for me),
    It's a rareish car but not a posh one, I wont say what it is cause guy in garage says he has to do a report on it and send it to the distributor and they "may" do something for me, cause it could be bad for their reputation as soooo reliable.
    If not i'll be back here tearing strips off it, :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

It really annoys me when out of no where and when your least expecting it , up pops the Spanish Inquisition with the red hot pincers,and their rack and all their other torture crap.Hard to relax when those feckers are around I tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

messrs wrote:
    so if you go to the printer to print of all your documents and its run out of paper, don't f**king walk away and leave it, how about filling the tray so your print job can finish!! Went to use the printer just now, huge yellow flashing error across the screen saying load trays!!! Done that & the remaining 50 odd pages of a document comes out, while I have to wait for it all to finish before I can print my 1 page!

I just cancel the other print job in that case and print my own stuff. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

People are constantly asking me if I'm planning on having kids soon these days, especially people who hardly know me. It's really none of their business, but I always feel like I need to be polite and give some vague answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

A lot of Irish short films have a trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

miezekatze wrote: »
    People are constantly asking me if I'm planning on having kids soon these days, especially people who hardly know me. It's really none of their business, but I always feel like I need to be polite and give some vague answer.

And the other **** when yiu have one child.

"Oh isn't time little Timmy got a baby brother or sister, ah sure either is fine":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    And the other **** when yiu have one child.

"Oh isn't time little Timmy got a baby brother or sister, ah sure either is fine":rolleyes:

We have two girls so get asked are ye not going to give them a brother??!! Yeah, cos that's a guarantee with number three??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hopped on the scales and yes I have neither lost nor gained a single pound since June. In the year up until that point, I lost nearly 2 stone. And now that I'm about 6-7 pounds off my ideal weight, feck no, the body just doesn't want to know. I've never put in as much cardio as I have this summer and nope, not a pound came off.:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I paid 1.10 for some sweets from a vending machine at an unmanned petrol station near Dublin airport. The machine kept the sweets.

Later, this evening, the garage owner will chew on some nice freeby pastilles.

Nice Shoes, though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

It really annoys me when out of no where and when your least expecting it , up pops the Spanish Inquisition with the red hot pincers,and their rack and all their other torture crap.Hard to relax when those feckers are around I tell you.

Of course, no one expects the Spanish inquisition!
    Great address, by the way

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement