Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

People on twitter using the quote retweet option to reply to someone, when it's not needed for all of their followers to see it, and a simple @ reply would work just as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Wanting to watch a seemingly funny video on Facebook but also wanting to make sure it's not a screamer by looking through the comments. But it's full of people just tagging each other with vague one word responses so you can't tell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

women being allowed on the internet to chatter among themselves about friends and husbands of friends.

Trivially annoying that Trolls aren't as good as they used to be.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Ridiculously trivial yet ridiculously annoying: when the perforations on the two plies of the loo roll don't line up :mad:

You're welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Seeing a nice looking car on tinternet, an Opel Vectra (swore i'd never buy an Opel again) lovely interior, loads of extras go for a nosey at it to the garage, wtf, it's a flippin VAUXHALL, wondered why I didn't see that, checked it, it didn't show the badge in the pics, the sh1ts, looked at others then, loads of Vauxhalls advertised as Opels,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Meeting invite from someone more senior - "I hope this time suits" well if you'd checked my calendar you would have seen that I have another meeting scheduled at this time. But yeah, suits perfectly, I'll just go and reschedule the other thing..

Went to another meeting, nobody showed up. Guy had another thing on and never told me!

Ugh, I'm in such a bad mood today! I'll need some wine and chocolate tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Candie wrote: »

Saying you're welcome when a person hasn't said thanks. I think it's ridiculous. It was a semi-joke like fifteen years ago, now somehow tons of people have started using it again for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Medusa22 wrote: »
    The same thing has been happening to me since I updated my phone. I just turn off the mobile data when I'm at home and then it stops disconnecting from the wifi, that has worked for me anyway so it might work for you!

Thanks, Medusa! I'll give that a try :)

My TA this evening , easy cook rice that claims to cook in 12-13 minutes. Eh, 25 minutes and counting ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I thought the perforations on the loo roll were the 2 ends of the cardboard thingy in the middle and was wondering how it would be easy to line them up:o

Work today was beyond TAing.I rarely if ever get anything returned that Ive done but 3:eek: emails this morning of returned work from 3 different departments.What a start to the week! I was mad at myself and mad at the pups that returned them and I hate to admit it that I was upset as well.:( Spent the day double checking everything I did and of course it was extra busy to make things worse. So now I dont want to go to work tomorrow and I will have to have wine later to ease the stress Im experiencing.:(;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Colser wrote: »
    I thought the perforations on the loo roll were the 2 ends of the cardboard thingy in the middle and was wondering how it would be easy to line them up:o

Work today was beyond TAing.I rarely if ever get anything returned that Ive done but 3:eek: emails this morning of returned work from 3 different departments.What a start to the week! I was mad at myself and mad at the pups that returned them and I hate to admit it that I was upset as well.:( Spent the day double checking everything I did and of course it was extra busy to make things worse. So now I dont want to go to work tomorrow and I will have to have wine later to ease the stress Im experiencing.:(;)

Awh dont be too hard on yourself colser :) We all get those bad weeks where loads of things go wrong at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Candie wrote: »

Thanks, I was just trying to put this in to words, saved me 10 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

When older people can't grasp technology.

Was in the gym this evening, 2/3 through my workout, my phone rings, it's my nanny ringing me for the 101st time to tell me her tv has no signal.

She has a Saorview box and either her or my uncle manage to knock it off digital and back to analog (which has no signal as the analog service doesn't exist anymore) often happens when nanny or my uncle change channel with the non Saorview box remote by mistake.

Nanny has rang me dozens of times to walk over, simply press the source button and change it back HDMI, I have shown her countless times how to do it herself but I may as well talk to the wall.

Anyway my phone rings in the gym and I tell Nanny that I'm in the gym and I'll ring my Dad to attempt to go over and do it, realized I had no credit so had to go downstairs to the front desk and ask to make a phone call, the nice lady lets me. I ring Dad real quick and tell him "The usual thing is wrong with Nanny's telly and go across the road to nanny's and ring me on my phone and I'll tell you what to do" He who is equally as aggravated because I'm probably disturbing his nap/downtime, he goes over to Nanny.

He rings me and I tell him what to do.

Me : "Dad at the top of the remote on the left hand side there is a button it'll say source on it, press that"
    Dad: "what where?"
    Me:"A button on the top left hand side, it should say source, on the Philips remote control now, not the other one"
    Dad: "I pressed menu yeah?"
    Me: Nooo not menu, source do you see source? Should be on the top of the remote, Once you press that you'll get a tiny menu at the bottom left of the screen it'll say like AV, HDMI1 and HDMI2 and so forth, all you have to do is select HDMI and the telly should go back to normal.
    Dad: "I see a menu and it says movies, photos etc..."

Meanwhile my phone is bleeping away saying 3% battery from not plugging it in the night before (joys of smartphones) I am just saying "SSSSAKE" and thinking "I could spend the rest of my life in this conversation but I've only got f**king 3% battery left!"

Dad hangs up in a huff because he can hear me getting increasingly annoyed because my workout is being disturbed, it's the 100th time I've gotten this phone call and my battery is nearly flat AND I'm 3km away from the house. Nuisance!

Ended up cutting my workout short to walk the 35 minutes back to my nan's to fix the stupid thing. If ya want something fixed you have to do it yourself!

Absolute wreck the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I was just making a packed lunch, and as I picked up two sandwiches to wrap them, the whole shagging lot dropped to the floor. I tried to pick them up and the fillings fell out. I shrieked with rage, jumped up and down on them like a toddler throwing a tantrum, and called the dog to eat them. Now my throat hurts and I've coleslaw on my shoes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    When older people can't grasp technology.

Was in the gym this evening, 2/3 through my workout, my phone rings, it's my nanny ringing me for the 101st time to tell me her tv has no signal.

She has a Saorview box and either her or my uncle manage to knock it off digital and back to analog (which has no signal as the analog service doesn't exist anymore) often happens when nanny or my uncle change channel with the non Saorview box remote by mistake.

Nanny has rang me dozens of times to walk over, simply press the source button and change it back HDMI, I have shown her countless times how to do it herself but I may as well talk to the wall.

Anyway my phone rings in the gym and I tell Nanny that I'm in the gym and I'll ring my Dad to attempt to go over and do it, realized I had no credit so had to go downstairs to the front desk and ask to make a phone call, the nice lady lets me. I ring Dad real quick and tell him "The usual thing is wrong with Nanny's telly and go across the road to nanny's and ring me on my phone and I'll tell you what to do" He who is equally as aggravated because I'm probably disturbing his nap/downtime, he goes over to Nanny.

He rings me and I tell him what to do.

Me : "Dad at the top of the remote on the left hand side there is a button it'll say source on it, press that"
    Dad: "what where?"
    Me:"A button on the top left hand side, it should say source, on the Philips remote control now, not the other one"
    Dad: "I pressed menu yeah?"
    Me: Nooo not menu, source do you see source? Should be on the top of the remote, Once you press that you'll get a tiny menu at the bottom left of the screen it'll say like AV, HDMI1 and HDMI2 and so forth, all you have to do is select HDMI and the telly should go back to normal.
    Dad: "I see a menu and it says movies, photos etc..."

Meanwhile my phone is bleeping away saying 3% battery from not plugging it in the night before (joys of smartphones) I am just saying "SSSSAKE" and thinking "I could spend the rest of my life in this conversation but I've only got f**king 3% battery left!"

Dad hangs up in a huff because he can hear me getting increasingly annoyed because my workout is being disturbed, it's the 100th time I've gotten this phone call and my battery is nearly flat AND I'm 3km away from the house. Nuisance!

Ended up cutting my workout short to walk the 35 minutes back to my nan's to fix the stupid thing. If ya want something fixed you have to do it yourself!

Absolute wreck the head.

I think this is the most boring TA I ever read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some of the posts up there had me in absolute stitches!

Now I'm TA'd that I've nothing remotely amusing to add at the moment. I'm thinking though.

I think this is the most boring TA I ever read

Im on team nanny:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

73Cat wrote: »
    I was just making a packed lunch, and as I picked up two sandwiches to wrap them, the whole shagging lot dropped to the floor. I tried to pick them up and the fillings fell out. I shrieked with rage, jumped up and down on them like a toddler throwing a tantrum, and called the dog to eat them. Now my throat hurts and I've coleslaw on my shoes :(

Oh I feel your pain. It's the little things that escalate. I can scream for Ireland too like a spoiled brat over trivial (lol) things.

I recall one night having my little niece staying over with me. The dishwasher was ready to be emptied, so we were going to have a great time putting all the stuff away. Huh.

I pulled out the top rack and YIKES, it wasn't on the runner properly. Everything, the rack, the cups, the glasses, everything fell onto to the tiled floor. OMG the fright, and the noise, so I let out a feckin roar of frustration.

My niece said she was traumatised as she had never heard me raise my voice in anger before. I hope I haven't damaged her psychologically and hope she managed to get over the mad auntie drama queen by now. lol.

I was finding glass particles for weeks. Weeks I tell ya, and I had to go out and buy a whole new set of mugs and glasses and all that. Jebus. The trauma of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

When you're doing a favor for someone and just as you're nearly done they tell you just leave it it's too much bother. /rage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No one wanting to go out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

everything right now, I'm so on edge

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    everything right now, I'm so on edge

Hope things improve for you soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

zcorpian88 wrote: »

Absolute wreck the head.

Awww, you had to cut your workout short and instead, got some exercise in the fresh air before helping your nanny.

I hate the world too!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Thought of this thread on my walk to work this morning.

People who insist on walking two, three or even four abreast on the pavement, but then walk as if they are imitating snails so that no one else can get by or force those behind them to step out onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Apparently everyone is laughing until they cry at every lame joke that is posted on Facebook. At least that's what the row of five or six laughing-crying emojiis under almost every single post implies. People aren't even using their words anymore.

People who like too many things on Facebook. Every second post is "Iman Annoyingcu*t likes this". I know I could unfollow them, but Facebook will just pick another annoying person and show me every single thing they do. I wish I could just stop seeing every little thing someone "likes". And don't get me started on that "Netflix and chill" sh1te.

I also know that I could just delete my Facebook, but it's like I'm a glutton for punishment. I do enjoy a rant, though :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When someone sitting behind me on the luas (or bus) accidentally pulls my hair when they stand up/sit down. :mad:

Everybody seems to be flitting off to Dubai and Saudi Arabia and making truck fulls of money. What is the deal with this? I'm TA that I seem to know nothing about it :( Did I miss the memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

selous wrote: »
    Seeing a nice looking car on tinternet, an Opel Vectra (swore i'd never buy an Opel again) lovely interior, loads of extras go for a nosey at it to the garage, wtf, it's a flippin VAUXHALL, wondered why I didn't see that, checked it, it didn't show the badge in the pics, the sh1ts, looked at others then, loads of Vauxhalls advertised as Opels,

Same here,mast weekninwas looking at Insignias on Carzone, specifically under the Opel search. All fcuking Vauxhall. After three or four calls, I asked why he was trying to pass off a Vauxhall for Opel...he says "sure Irish people don't like Vauxhalls". This was a fairly reputable car dealer......

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Same here,mast weekninwas looking at Insignias on Carzone, specifically under the Opel search. All fcuking Vauxhall. After three or four calls, I asked why he was trying to pass off a Vauxhall for Opel...he says "sure Irish people don't like Vauxhalls". This was a fairly reputable car dealer......

A few years back when I was on a car hunt, at a reputable dealership the sales dude was trying to turn my attention to a disel Vaxhaull Astra. It wasn't what I was looking for but questioned why there are a bunch of Vaxhualls on the lot/forecourt.
    They could get them in cheaper than Opels, but sell them closer to Opel prices. He then said something about when I go to re-sell, the griffin will knock of money from the true value.
    Fair play to him for being cool about it, but fairly shady as well.

My TA for today is that I'm starving and tired. My soon to be kicked out of the house cat (joke) kept me awake all night biting my arm. He was relentless, nearly on the hour every hour. I should have just put him downstairs and closed the door...but that was too much effort. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

There I am, standing at a urinal minding my own (and taking care of) business.

And in comes some muppet who starts using the urinal beside me while chatting on the phone.

Who wants to talk with someone while they are having a piss?!! And how does washing your hands work if you are on the phone?
    I did not hang around to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Ah dating, it really knocks back your confidence.

Between being stood up, finding out they have a fiancee and baby, they themselves are only a nipper themselves but would love a cougar (in 24 I'm not a ****ing cougar) or just want the ride and assume you are a slut coz you aren't thin, or cancelling the date because they met someone and might ask them out (but I'll definitely contact you if it goes Tits up) it just knocks you back a bit.

But in saying that I'm not overly pushed on a relationship.

Just how it's getting to me is my TA

The way time slows when you are tired.

It's 8 weeks to Christmas and once again I am headed for a disorganised, last minute event.

The new auto correct on Boards that insists on b*stardising all my words into Americanisms. I'll have none of your z's now, leave me with my s's!

pew wrote: »
    Ah dating, it really knocks back your confidence.

Between being stood up, finding out they have a fiancee and baby, they themselves are only a nipper themselves but would love a cougar (in 24 I'm not a ****ing cougar) or just want the ride and assume you are a slut coz you aren't thin, or cancelling the date because they met someone and might ask them out (but I'll definitely contact you if it goes Tits up) it just knocks you back a bit.

But in saying that I'm not overly pushed on a relationship.

Just how it's getting to me is my TA

The phrase "the ride" , really really bugs me. Sorry

Those articles that pop up online about saving money - for example, "50 ways to save a thousand euro in a year" and then all the tips are really mind-numbingly boring like buying a new lagging jacket for the tank or changing to low energy bulbs. There are also thingsthat don't apply like cutting magazine subscriptions. As well as just batty recommendations to ignore use by dates. Also ultimate stinge of using charity vet services instead of private ones - just taking up spaces that genuinely poor people need. Here are three of the dreariest ones I found:

"clean your dryer lint trap to increase dryer productivity by 75%"

"use the right sized cookware to save 36 euro per year"

"cook with a crockpot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

pew wrote: »
    ...But in saying that I'm not overly pushed on a relationship.

Life is too short for misery, stay single and stay happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

The phrase "the ride" , really really bugs me. Sorry

All good it annoys me sometimes too :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

The cushion of the library seat im sitting on now was moulded to the dimensions of its last users bum.
    The indentation complete with cheek outline and detailed parting crack awaited me, it was the only seat left.
    I had to sit on their bumprint.
    Feels unclean and a bit rapey.
    There must also be 10000 farts stored in this cushion.
    Seriously considering using a book as rudimentary hygenic barrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

Was chopping onions yesterday evening and nicked my finger with the knife. So today I have, or should I say had, a plaster wrapped around the tip of my finger.

I was in the toilets and was drying my hands, when the dryer, which is a particularly powerful dyson model, blew the bloodied plaster right off my finger and into the adjacent urinal, where one of my colleagues was taking a piss.

What does one even say in such a situation?

What is the correct etiquette?

I'm hoping it is that both parties pretend that absolutely nothing has happened at all.

Was chopping onions yesterday evening and nicked my finger with the knife. So today I have, or should I say had, a plaster wrapped around the tip of my finger.

I was in the toilets and was drying my hands, when the dryer, which is a particularly powerful dyson model, blew the bloodied plaster right off my finger and into the adjacent urinal, where one of my colleagues was taking a piss.

What does one even say in such a situation?

What is the correct etiquette?

I'm hoping it is that both parties pretend that absolutely nothing has happened at all.

"Excuse me, did that plaster just fall off your knob?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

The term 'happy out'.

It always reminds of an inmate on day release from a mental institution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

The auto-opening doors at the front of my office building are wonky and open really slowly. I didn't notice leaving earlier and slammed my shoulder off the slowly retreating fcuker and sent my coffee cup flying across the path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Life is too short for misery, stay single and stay happy.

Cynicism!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Cynicism!!

Exclamation marks!!

Opel under warranty you can get serviced at any Opel dealer, a Vauxhall under warranty, I presume only where you buy it?

My car still off the road, engine from UK £5000, not including injectors, or shipping or fitting, waaaaah :(, decisions decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

women being allowed on the internet to chatter among themselves about friends and husbands of friends.

TA that I fell over the Middle Ages while reading that post.

selous wrote: »
    Opel under warranty you can get serviced at any Opel dealer, a Vauxhall under warranty, I presume only where you buy it?

My car still off the road, engine from UK £5000, not including injectors, or shipping or fitting, waaaaah :(, decisions decisions.

I could justify that money if I loved the car and intended to keep it for a very long time.Is that for a brand new engine? Id spend it on mine if I had to..I reckon youll do it:P

MY TA is that someone here is flying to a hot sunny climate in a few hours and just in case thats not annoying me enough theyre parading around in a pair of shorts since they started packing...now I will have to have a glass of wine to make myself feel better about that..:(:D

Oh and Happy Birthday to anyone whos celebratating today;) Its not me btw..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Had a nosebleed all over my dressing gown :(

I'll have to give the coke a rest :P

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Had a nosebleed all over my dressing gown :(

I'll have to give the coke a rest :P

Or get a new red dressing gown:D

It always reminds of an inmate on day release from a mental institution.

Yeah except they'd be a patient not an inmate

Colser wrote: »
    I could justify that money if I loved the car and intended to keep it for a very long time.Is that for a brand new engine? Id spend it on mine if I had to..I reckon youll do it:P

Nope, not a new one, a re-con one, to get it fixed here is just under E10 including a clutch, (while its apart) and a year warranty after, but there's nothing out there that's appealing to me at the moment, so it's looking like a rebuild an be a keeper.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Been using an Iphone for the past few week as my samsung got dunked in the toilet. Only realised today that the calendar starts on a Sunday and not a Monday - like every other phone. I now know why I have been very confused re appointments and deadlines lately.
    Damn you Apple!!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement