Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I got a few days temping as a receptionist in an office where I used to work and I was delighted with myself! Today though, I came across two idiots (to be fair, I have to say that most people are lovely). I gave a client a newspaper and he sat down and said to me ''oh David Norris is backing gay cousins getting married now, I mean I'm all for equality but that's ridiculous'', so I thought to myself, well that's fair enough, I mean cousins is a bit much, gay or not, so I agreed. Then he comes out with ''you see this is the problem with the yes vote and the referendum, it has opened up a whole can of worms, you'll have a situation soon where men can marry horses, it's ridiculous!''. I had to bite my tongue so hard not to say anything :P

I must be tired, I thought the first line was

"I got a few days tempting a receptionist" :eek:

oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I got a few days temping as a receptionist in an office where I used to work and I was delighted with myself! Today though, I came across two idiots (to be fair, I have to say that most people are lovely). I gave a client a newspaper and he sat down and said to me ''oh David Norris is backing gay cousins getting married now, I mean I'm all for equality but that's ridiculous'', so I thought to myself, well that's fair enough, I mean cousins is a bit much, gay or not, so I agreed. Then he comes out with ''you see this is the problem with the yes vote and the referendum, it has opened up a whole can of worms, you'll have a situation soon where men can marry horses, it's ridiculous!''. I had to bite my tongue so hard not to say anything :P

Then in the afternoon a guy rings and asks to speak to a solicitor, any solicitor, so I asked him if he was a client and he said no, then I asked him what the matter is in relation to (because different solicitors deal with different issues, such as litigation, employment law, family law etc) and he got really angry and asked if he had to pay to talk to a solicitor, then someone else rang in so I asked him if I could put him on hold and he was like ''I suppose so, if you have to'', and then I got back to him 30 seconds later and I asked him if I could have his name, and he flipped out and said he'd already given it to me (he hadn't) but I just said ''oh I'm sorry, I mustn't have written it down and then he said ''well you're a fcuking idiot, aren't you'' and hung up. Knocked my confidence and I'd been feeling so proud of myself for doing a good job, asshole :(
    fussyonion wrote: »
    Multi-storey carparks.
    It's not often I use them but I had to today as I was visiting a relative in hospital.

The building is four storeys. Each level had ZERO car spaces.
    I circled each level twice before I eventually found a space. My nerves were gone as I turned each tight corner in the carpark.

This gombeen of a woman decided to stop in the middle of one lane talking on her phone and when I gestured to her as if to say "What are you doing?!" she mouthed at me to eff off.

Then when I was in the shop buying a bottle of water, the shop assistant never greeted me or thanked me or handed me my change; she just slammed it on the counter and sighed heavily.

Asked a doctor how my relative was doing and he was quite snippy and abrupt with me.

I left the hospital feeling a bit teary. I'm a nice person and I've been awful worried about my relative since they've been in hospital.
    People being rude and snidey just make me feel worse.

lesson of the day, people can be *****. nothing worse then someone projecting their ****ty personhood onto you. its hard not to take it personally but in the end they're more to pitied in their smallness, they could've been having a bad day themselves but its no excuse. hopefully you'll both be laughing about them tomorrow or whenever.

had to reply to these as I cant stand geebags like the ones you describe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

selous wrote: »

oops.
    Wishful thinking more than tiredness Id say:D

Robsweezie wrote: »
    lesson of the day, people can be *****. nothing worse then someone projecting their ****ty personhood onto you. its hard not to take it personally but in the end they're more to pitied in their smallness, they could've been having a bad day themselves but its no excuse. hopefully you'll both be laughing about them tomorrow or whenever.

had to reply to these as I cant stand geebags like the ones you describe :)
    The problem is that people seem to be more ****e than usual at the moment,honestly I think its becoming impossible to reason with them.I deal with it everyday but its definitely a lot more difficult than it used to be eg I asked a woman today what connection she had with an a/c and she lost it.."Whatcha mean?" I asked if she was the owner or the manager or what.."Who doya want me to be?"..I just wanted to tell her to fcuk herself tbh but had to bite my tongue,its nearly chewed away at this stage.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Asked a doctor how my relative was doing and he was quite snippy and abrupt with me.

I left the hospital feeling a bit teary. I'm a nice person and I've been awful worried about my relative since they've been in hospital.
    People being rude and snidey just make me feel worse.

God my heart goes out to you. I know exactly what you mean. Doctors are doing a job, they don't really have any emotional investment in the patient, their job is to get them better.

Whereas you, or any relative is in bits.

It's not easy to compartmentalise yourself, but I have learned to do it now. Multiple hospital traumas etc. won't go into it here.

Focus on the patient. If they are comfortable for now, that's good, if they are in distress, kick up a fuss. Talk to the nurses. They cannot give prognosis or anything, but they are usually great at reassurance.

Wish you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

selous wrote: »

oops.
    Colser wrote: »
    Wishful thinking more than tiredness Id say:D

Wishful thinking myself :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The problem is that people seem to be more ****e than usual at the moment,honestly I think its becoming impossible to reason with them.I deal with it everyday but its definitely a lot more difficult than it used to be eg I asked a woman today what connection she had with an a/c and she lost it.."Whatcha mean?" I asked if she was the owner or the manager or what.."Who doya want me to be?"..I just wanted to tell her to fcuk herself tbh but had to bite my tongue,its nearly chewed away at this stage.:(

Sometimes I wish my work was like Ally McBeal where I could just drift in to a fantasy and tell them all exactly what I feckin think of their sorry assess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I saw a person with an "Only God can judge me" tattoo. I have to give him points for it being spelt correctly. It could have been a fake tattoo, it had to be, nobody would actually choose a tattoo like that.

I wasnt backstage of the Jeremy Kyle show where it would be understandable to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

God my heart goes out to you. I know exactly what you mean. Doctors are doing a job, they don't really have any emotional investment in the patient, their job is to get them better.

Whereas you, or any relative is in bits.

It's not easy to compartmentalise yourself, but I have learned to do it now. Multiple hospital traumas etc. won't go into it here.

Focus on the patient. If they are comfortable for now, that's good, if they are in distress, kick up a fuss. Talk to the nurses. They cannot give prognosis or anything, but they are usually great at reassurance.

Wish you well.

Thanks so much, you're very kind.
    The nurses are all lovely..it's just the doc who's a bit abrupt.
    I think everything got on top of me today; we all get days like that.
    Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I saw a person with an "Only God can judge me" tattoo. I have to give him points for it being spelt correctly. It could have been a fake tattoo, it had to be, nobody would actually choose a tattoo like that.

I wasnt backstage of the Jeremy Kyle show where it would be understandable to see it.

Well you're judging them, so I guess their tattoo isn't technically correct ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Ability to spell correctly, or any technical ability, has little or no correlation to religious belief (or lack thereof). Now you can say you think atheists are smarter, but you can't claim things like they are generally much better spellers or better at other things, especially not as a rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Aw shucks, everyone is so nice in the trivial annoyances thread, it is my favourite thread on boards. I think a TA beers would be brilliant, we all go out and get sh1tfaced and give out about our trivial annoyances :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Ability to spell correctly, or any technical ability, has little or no correlation to religious belief (or lack thereof). Now you can say you think atheists are smarter, but you can't claim things like they are generally much better spellers or better at other things, especially not as a rule.

brain suggesting I should be trivially annoyed at this in whichever of its several variations its true form really is.

ffs and sigh on standby.

timer set to 2 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

They've changed hotmail/outlook whatever the hell it is again. I'm only after getting used to the new version (new as in last 2 years). I was very upset when I logged in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

rosie16 wrote: »
    They've changed hotmail/outlook whatever the hell it is again. I'm only after getting used to the new version (new as in last 2 years). I was very upset when I logged in.

I lost an account on that because they ceaselessly kept stalking me for my phone number. I didn't give it and in the end lost the account. Thanks NSA, 99.99% of my digital life must not be enough.

additional t.a: ran out of my maitre jean pierre pains aux chocolate, I believed I had some remaining however on further inspection this was found to be untrue, also lidl are now closed, separately I have no cornflakes in for the morning.

this is not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

I hadn't noticed the venerable RRB to have made a generalised religious comment but maybe you'd like to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Medusa22 wrote:
    Aw shucks, everyone is so nice in the trivial annoyances thread, it is my favourite thread on boards. I think a TA beers would be brilliant, we all go out and get sh1tfaced and give out about our trivial annoyances

Haha but what if someone trivally annoyed us? Where would we rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I hadn't noticed the venerable RRB to have made a generalised religious comment but maybe you'd like to elaborate?

He was making the statement about some particular group.

* People who get tattoos.
    * People who are religious.
    * People who think phrases like that are worth a lot.

Or some combination of all three.... and tying them to poor spellers. I assumed it was the religious aspect. I'm pretty sure the same goes for the other groups mentioned... that there is little or no meaningful relationship between them and poor spellers.

If its possible to die from tiredness then Im on the way out,absolutely exhausted and couldnt get up up off the couch if I was paid.

Just tried to pause the TV and its saying theres not enough disc space,its the first time thats ever happened and Id be too embarrassed to say what Ive been recording for months but dont really ever get to watch it.It was mentioned a few posts ago though,please dont judge me:o:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I was commenting more on that you often see pictures of those "inspirational" quote tattoos being spelt wrong.

I would be surprised if there was a correlation between spelling and religion. It probably helped that there was no to/too/two or there/their/they're.

You know when you have a shower and have a nice clean fresh towel on the towel warmer waiting for you...looking forward to that nice cosy bliss while drying yourself....but then discover that the towel is all hard...someone forgot to put fabric softener in the wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Thread titles describing animal cruelty :(
    I know they are describing something despicable that actually happened but I hate having to read those words all the time, I generally don't read articles on these things

One of the kittens decided to chew on my shoulder at 1am. I woke up and moved and she stretched herself out to sleep. She woke me so I would move out of her way!!!

Then at 6am, Pepper jumped up on the chest of drawers and made a glass smash all over the floor.

I'm tired and cranky. I don't feel like working today. Bring on half term!

Menas wrote:
    You know when you have a shower and have a nice clean fresh towel on the towel warmer waiting for you...looking forward to that nice cosy bliss while drying yourself....but then discover that the towel is all hard...someone forgot to put fabric softener in the wash.

like sand paper :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Menas wrote: »

A lot of my towels are hard even though I use fabric softener in every wash.
    I think it's actually to do with the quality of the towels.
    The big fluffy ones that are a bit dearer than the standard towels seem to keep their softness.
    My Mam's towels are always hard; like thin sheets of metal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Give them 10/15 mins in the tumble dryer (when they're already dry!)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When I am talking to someone and they say, "sorry, did you give me your name?".

"No".

A lot of my towels are hard even though I use fabric softener in every wash.
    I think it's actually to do with the quality of the towels.
    The big fluffy ones that are a bit dearer than the standard towels seem to keep their softness.
    My Mam's towels are always hard; like thin sheets of metal :D

I love a hard, scratchy towel :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

KatW4 wrote: »
    One of the kittens decided to chew on my shoulder at 1am. I woke up and moved and she stretched herself out to sleep. She woke me so I would move out of her way!!!

Then at 6am, Pepper jumped up on the chest of drawers and made a glass smash all over the floor.

I'm tired and cranky. I don't feel like working today. Bring on half term!

My cat is being exiled to downstairs for biting me when I'm asleep. I sleep with my arm under the pillow and my hand sticks out from under the pillow. The little fooker thinks I'm playing with him and goes to town on me.
    Then when I pull my hand back in he is trying to get under the pillow and starts scratching.
    Little bast@rd. Adorable little bast@rd.

Waiting rooms of any kind, especially if there's a good few to be seen before you. Sitting there ruminating in your thoughts, wondering what you'll be told. Nobody's happy to be there and Everyone looks like condemned wo/men. And magazines don't really help, especially when it's a heat magazine from 2011.

• Advertisement

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm on holidays at the min...so rather annoyingly I'm after busting meself up and have to lay up for the day :(

But to make it worse I've someone on sky news with the job title expert sniffer :mad:....what has my life become

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You know what gets right up my left nostril? Do you? Well then I shall tell you. It's folk what lose things. All sorts of things, important things, all... the... time. Need your drivers license/learner permit? Lost. VLC for the car? Vamos. Keys? No sign. Bank card(s)? AWOL. Passport? You must be chuffing-well joking, matey. Jesus buck-jumping Christ on an NSU Quickly, can't some people just take a bit of care of their important bits-and-pieces like that, instead of sending the parish into cardiac conniptions every time one of them is needed?? :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I found a euro on the footpath this morning on the way down to the school. There were no other kids in front of me on the way down, who may have lost it so I put it in my pocket. That damn lucky day song off the MacDonalds ad kept going through my head then. I remembered after that there was a cake sale at the school and all I could think was some child had lost their money for a couple of buns.

jimgoose wrote: »
    You know what gets right up my left nostril? Do you? Well then I shall tell you. It's folk what lose things. All sorts of things, important things, all... the... time. Need your drivers license/learner permit? Lost. VLC for the car? Vamos. Keys? No sign. Bank card(s)? AWOL. Passport? You must be chuffing-well joking, matey. Jesus buck-jumping Christ on an NSU Quickly, can't some people just take a bit of care of their important bits-and-pieces like that, instead of sending the parish into cardiac conniptions every time one of them is needed?? :pac::pac::pac:

This reminds me of when my daughters car was taken from her and she went out to the pound to get it back,The man out there wanted the log book before he would return it so she came home and all hell broke loose.We tore the house apart and then tore it apart again,everyone shouting at each other but as usual I seemed to be the one at fault.Anyway she went back that afternoon to plead her case and a different fella was there and says"Sure you dont need that at all girl":rolleyes:WTF Didnt teach her a lesson anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    :pac:

And a jury of his peers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Peeling the paper wrapper off a bun and putting the bun wrapper in my mouth instead of the bun... :confused:

Because today just hasn't been shyte enough! :pac:

Peeling the paper wrapper off a bun and putting the bun wrapper in my mouth instead of the bun... :confused:

Because today just hasn't been shyte enough! :pac:

It could have been worse, you could have put the bun in the bin and I agree shyte day and shtye week tbh.

Ah, cheer up everyone! The weekend is nearly here!

(I will get my coat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

People who make 'moist' noises with their mouth when talking on the radio. There was an ex-priest on Moncrieff this afternoon and you could hear the side of his lips sticking together as he spoke, ugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I bought Tesco's version of Fruit 'n' Fibre yesterday (there was a difference of over €4 between Tesco's and Kellogg's).

I thought it would be exactly the same, as I've often bought Tesco products that were exactly the same as the brand name.

But wow, do not buy Tesco's Fruit 'n' Fibre!
    I poured a bowl this morning and got NO FRUIT. NO NUTS, NOTHING.
    Just those brown flakes.

Here's a pic of my bowl: http://tinypic.com/r/mm8whh/8

I had a look through the bag and saw two pieces of banana.

Poured a few bowls to check and I was so amazed that there was virtually no fruit in the whole box!
    No wonder it only cost €1.79 for a 750g box.

Back to Kellogg's with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YcsXd1ZQHA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Menas wrote: »

Don't put fabric softener in with towels... They lose their absorbency. :D

Also flame-retardant fabrics as it may make them more flammable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Thread titles describing animal cruelty :(
    I know they are describing something despicable that actually happened but I hate having to read those words all the time, I generally don't read articles on these things

I know how you feel. There's nothing worst than reading a very descriptive thread. I generally avoid animal cruelty threads because when I read them, I tend to develop an unhealthy need for vengeance towards the human scum involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Don't put fabric softener in with towels... They lose their absorbency. :D

Also flame-retardant fabrics as it may make them more flammable.

Fabric softener also bad for waterproofing on jackets, it strips it away, for some reason, same with those "wick away" tee shirts.

Nothing like a good rough towel dry,

bring back the sack cloth.....:D

Having to make up an excuse to get out early from an exercise class because I hate the last few exercises (well I hate them all but especially the last few) now I feel bad and yet Im thinking of what excuse I can use next:( Im lazy I know...
    Also TAd at people who thanked that awful cheerful post by Menas earlier..are ye losing the run of yourselves or what?:D

Also TAd at people who thanked that awful cheerful post by Menas earlier..are ye losing the run of yourselves or what?:D

Turn that frown up side down! :)

(I will be back in grumpy form tomorrow, promise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Re the fluffy towels.

Now I am sorry and all that, but wtf, how in hell can you dry yourself on a marshmallow like piece of soft cloth?

Give me a good scrubby towel anyday. At least I feel dry after, not slip sliding away.

Anyway, the person who invents a body dryer (like a hand dryer only bigger lol) will win the apprentice for me!

Painted my nails for Halloween in school tomorrow. I have black nail polish everywhere. It's all over my fingers and somehow on my tummy. I'm so messy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I reckon it's in the lab at Dyson nearly ready to go. Imagine how much it'll be! :D

• Advertisement

Re the fluffy towels.

Now I am sorry and all that, but wtf, how in hell can you dry yourself on a marshmallow like piece of soft cloth?

Give me a good scrubby towel anyday. At least I feel dry after, not slip sliding away.

No! A good quality soft towel is the absolute business for drying yourself. When I am in hotels I hate using their cheap bleached sandpaper towels....end up using a hair dryer to dry myself!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement