Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

fussyonion wrote: »
    You're talking to a technophobe here.
    I wouldn't have a clue where to start!
    I do have an mp3 player though.

http://www.clipconverter.cc/ is a simple enough way. it wouldn't be the best way, but it's straighforward enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

when someone else in the house hears you moving and then rushes to beat you to the toilet/kitchen/whatever, or just to show how they're already up and organized and therefore better than you.

That reminds me. Every time I want to defog my car windscreen so I can drive the car without dying, the drivers side is always last to clear up :(:mad:. Every fecking time without fail it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Bloody wifi at the gym still isn't working.
    I complained twice this past month and they promised they sort it but they haven't.

You want to feel better?

This is what I'm getting right now on my desktop.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

eternal wrote: »
    Halloween is coming Rosie. You can always be a werewolf :)

Only kidding.

Is is that bad/obvious ? :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm mildly miffed at a trend I'm seeing online: it seems that everyone wants my money for doing "arty" things no-one asked them to do.
    • "Buy my overpriced steampunk doodads on Etsy!"
    • "I'm making an album of Djent covers, here's my Indiegogo link!"
    • "Keep my Social Justice blog going by funding my Kickstarter campaign!"
    • "Our podcast, 'Two Losers Talking About Stoner Movies', now has a Patreon! Support us at the $100 level and we'll send you a T-shirt!"
    Sturgeon was an optimist. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

TA at trying to send someone a pm but their inbox is full so can't send it. Tis a sign of popularity that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

bnt wrote: »
    I'm mildly miffed at a trend I'm seeing online: it seems that everyone wants my money for doing "arty" things no-one asked them to do.
    • "Buy my overpriced steampunk doodads on Etsy!"
    • "I'm making an album of Djent covers, here's my Indiegogo link!"
    • "Keep my Social Justice blog going by funding my Kickstarter campaign!"
    • "Our podcast, 'Two Losers Talking About Stoner Movies', now has a Patreon! Support us at the $100 level and we'll send you a T-shirt!"
    Sturgeon was an optimist. :rolleyes:

buy my steaming turd with a flower on top of it, its art after all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Djeh brennans bred adjvert.

Wuj djeh ever fck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Menas wrote: »
    TA at trying to send someone a pm but their inbox is full so can't send it. Tis a sign of popularity that!

Try again Menas, I just deleted 500 pms :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Robsweezie wrote: »
    buy my steaming turd with a flower on top of it, its art after all!

Hay i know how you fell with Art i used to date a artist for a while and i went to her art expo opening and i had to watch her "performance art" it was her rolling around a stage in a bed sheet while i was standing there going the hell is this ?.

Everyone afterwards was clapping there hands and saying how good it was and what it means i was like the f is this ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

'I drink in the local local.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

When you finally get home after having one of those days (rude customers, nothing going right, etc.) and you settle down to watch one of your favourite shows to cheer yourself up and then one of your favourite characters gets killed off. Cherry on top :( . And there's no chocolate here. For once :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

My inability to let things go. I'm so upset that my so called best friend has been spreading nasty rumours about me and I can't stop thinking about it. I know it's stupid but I can't help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

KatW4 wrote: »
    My inability to let things go. I'm so upset that my so called best friend has been spreading nasty rumours about me and I can't stop thinking about it. I know it's stupid but I can't help it.

Sorry to hear that, K. *hugs* People can be so nasty.

Sorry to hear that, K. *hugs* People can be so nasty.

Thank you :) so unbelievably nasty. I actually feel sick at the thought of what else she's been saying and to who.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

KatW4 wrote: »
    Thank you :) so unbelievably nasty. I actually feel sick at the thought of what else she's been saying and to who.

She'll meet her match someday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Teafor two12345

She'll meet her match someday.

Don't bully the bully nor the cheerleader of those who bully a bully. Never trust that person again. Move on and don't look back. I repeat NEVER trust that person again. And don't become the bully. Get her and those who believe her lies out of your life. Too much drama.

Don't bully the bully nor the cheerleader of those who bully a bully. Never trust that person again. Move on and don't look back. I repeat NEVER trust that person again. And don't become the bully. Get her and those who believe her lies out of your life. Too much drama.

That's my plan. I'm not going to bother saying anything to her about it, just phase her out of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The slowness of Boards lately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

people typing *hugs* on the internet

it's unbelievably petty as they're just trying to show some compassion to another person but for **** sake, you're not hugging them. you're not doing anything other than typing six bloody letters onto a keyboard and then going back to whatever cat video you paused on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

My complete lack of concentration at work post bank holiday.

Clegg wrote: »
    My complete lack of concentration at work post bank holiday.

I read this as "my complete lack of contraception over the bank holiday" :pac:

strelok wrote: »
    people typing *hugs* on the internet

it's unbelievably petty as they're just trying to show some compassion to another person but for **** sake, you're not hugging them. you're not doing anything other than typing six bloody letters onto a keyboard and then going back to whatever cat video you paused on youtube.

General sugar coated outpourings of condolences on social media annoy me. Usually coupled with terrible grammar too. I don't know how many "angles" Heaven has gained lately :( Suffice to say there are no circles there anymore.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I read this as "my complete lack of contraception over the bank holiday" :pac:

I've had to reread my post just to be sure.

Not with it today :o

Clingy people.

I friended someone in work a while ago and now he wont leave me alone. I don't mind the occasional lunch or even the majority of lunches together but this is every single day. And it's not just lunchtime. 10:00 it starts- an email - "What time are you going on break?" God forbid we might not see each other for that half hour. Then at the end of break - "what time are you going on lunch?". Usually I don't know what time I'm going at that early stage so I say, "I don't know" and then he says, "ok email me when you know". If I don't email, I'll get one from him, "what do you want to do for lunch?". Fúcking maddening. It's not that I don't like him but I feel like I am being followed around. Sometimes I just want to sit by myself and have a sandwich and read the paper. Sometimes I want to go shopping and he will actually come with me and then stand in the woman's clothes shop looking like a lost boy and playing with his phone. Even if I say I am going to the library to rent a book he'll be like, "oh I have to rent one too". Really?????? before he started night courses, he had started travelling home at the same time as me too. If I left at 5 30 he'd be waiting for me in reception. If I purposely delayed he would still be there at 17 45, and if I got off early - he would too! And I worry that we are becoming so insular and that people will think we are socially retarded or that there is something going on between us - you know what office gossip is like. But how do I sort of dump him without being rude? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,222 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Clingy people.

But how do I sort of dump him without being rude? :(

Chances are he knows you're too polite to be rude to him already, and he's taking full advantage of it. You can't avoid being rude to someone like that, nor can you afford to leave them in any doubt that you do not require a chaperone everywhere you go.

I'm sure you'll think of something! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Has he another friend in the job or are you his only friend?
    Do you think he fancies you?
    I had someone clingy with me before; eventually it got so bad I had to start ignoring the person.
    I'm sure it was very hurtful but this was edging on the obsessive and there was no other way round it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

ONW, that's easy, he got da hots for ya!

Clingy people.

That's a tricky one. I've had something similar happen. Made friends with someone who thought we were much closer friends than we actually were. It got to the stage where I had to tell him to back off a bit and to set a few boundaries. Ignoring is an option and I've done that before too. But that just leads to everyone feeling crap about it.

Has he another friend in the job or are you his only friend?
    Do you think he fancies you?
    I had someone clingy with me before; eventually it got so bad I had to start ignoring the person.
    I'm sure it was very hurtful but this was edging on the obsessive and there was no other way round it.

I don't think he has any other friends, but that doesn't seem to bother him. And I have noticed once or twice that if we do happen to be in a group, if I have deliberately invited other people along for lunch too, he will constantly try to turn the conversation to something that only we have in common. So I am there talking to someone else, or listening to two people beside me talking and he will start saying things like, "oh I had a lecture in XY or Z last night. Did you find that lecturer any good?" - because we are both studying the same thing (although I am a few years ahead). It's so rude because it automatically cuts everyone else out of the conversation and also - I don't want to talk about college when I am at lunch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,222 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't think he has any other friends, but that doesn't seem to bother him.

It's so rude because it automatically cuts everyone else out of the conversation and also - I don't want to talk about college when I am at lunch!

If he's willing to be so rude to other people, it's only a matter of time before he's just as rude to you if you don't entertain him. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about sparing his feelings under those circumstances tbh.

If you still want to be friends with him then take control of it. Let him know when you want to go out for lunch and when you want to do something. Don't be dictated to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Just had a conversation with a girl I was in college with. She's getting married and thinks it's totally natural that she has the final say in what wedding guests wear. (Guests not bridal party). I'm not close with her and it's her own gig but I think she's somewhat dragging the arse out of "her day". Not sure why it annoyed me. Probably the walking cliché aspect. For example her Mother wants to wear a hat but THERE WILL BE NO HATS at this wedding. Seems unnecessarily controlling to me. Oh well, I won't be invited or anything so it's none of my business.

I just "stood him up" for morning break :pac:

mud wrote: »
    Just had a conversation with a girl I was in college with. She's getting married and thinks it's totally natural that she has the final say in what wedding guests wear. (Guests not bridal party). I'm not close with her and it's her own gig but I think she's somewhat dragging the arse out of "her day". Not sure why it annoyed me. Probably the walking cliché aspect. For example her Mother wants to wear a hat but THERE WILL BE NO HATS at this wedding. Seems unnecessarily controlling to me. Oh well, I won't be invited or anything so it's none of my business.

At least it's just for one day - the poor groom will probably have his wardrobe dictated to him for the rest of his life! Better off drowned at birth etc. :):p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

He sounds insecure and you give him attention which he feeds off. It doesn't seem like he is being rude, he is looking for confidence in the security of the things which you have in common to talk about. He might be extremely shy around other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

He fancies you. Simple

eternal wrote: »
    He sounds insecure and you give him attention which he feeds off. It doesn't seem like he is being rude, he is looking for confidence in the security of the things which you have in common to talk about. He might be extremely shy around other people.

TA - Eternal's post makes me feel like a witch :p It is true though he is shy, which is why I haven't been hard on him. if he was a complete gobs*ite I wouldn't have a problem telling him to get along outta that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

You know whats annoys me about things like that is that I bet if someone else had that kind of sh*t carry on at their wedding she would be the type to slate it but people seem to lose all reason when it comes to their own wedding and think the world revolves around them. They need to get over themselves and cop on as the whole thing has gone ridiculous imo.Just be thankful you wont be invited and have to endure her on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

You got to do the same for lunch today too. Then you're well on the way to freedom. :D

Clegg wrote: »
    If you still want to be friends with him then take control of it. Let him know when you want to go out for lunch and when you want to do something. Don't be dictated to.

T/A with my own post. I believe I just used management speak.

Kill me

Just had a conversation with a girl I was in college with. She's getting married and thinks it's totally natural that she has the final say in what wedding guests wear. (Guests not bridal party). I'm not close with her and it's her own gig but I think she's somewhat dragging the arse out of "her day". Not sure why it annoyed me. Probably the walking cliché aspect. For example her xMother wants to wear a hat but THERE WILL BE NO HATS at this wedding. Seems unnecessarily controlling to me. Oh well, I won't be invited or anything so it's none of my business.

If Mrs E and I were invited, we would both wear wedding dresses just to piss her off!

Seriously though, it's so easy for men. "Well I only have one suit, and it's blue, so it's that or I don't go!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    If Mrs E and I were invited, we would both wear wedding dresses just to piss her off!

Seriously though, it's so easy for men. "Well I only have one suit, and it's blue, so it's that or I don't go!"

Sometimes it is nice when bridezilla gives you a reason not to go to their wedding!

Menas wrote: »
    Sometimes it is nice when bridezilla gives you a reason not to go to their wedding!

Replace sometimes with always ..I hate weddings:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

See, I quite like weddings when I'm close with either or both the bride and groom. I've been to some of the most romantic days where love and happiness and hope were the theme of the marriage and those days are so special to me that I just felt kind of sick when I realised that fashion is the theme of that girl's marriage!

• Advertisement

Colser wrote: »
    Replace sometimes with always ..I hate weddings:(

I blame Franke. Hats off to him for making a fortune telling people what they "need" for the perfect wedding.

See, I quite like weddings when I'm close with either or both the bride and groom. I've been to some of the most romantic days where love and happiness and hope were the theme of the marriage and those days are so special to me that I just felt kind of sick when I realised that fashion is the theme of that girl's marriage!

Off to the happy thread with ya! No room for that sort of talk round here.:D:D

TA - Eternal's post makes me feel like a witch :p It is true though he is shy, which is why I haven't been hard on him. if he was a complete gobs*ite I wouldn't have a problem telling him to get along outta that :pac:

Bit late to this. I was "working". The situation sounds a lot simpler with that explanation. Set some boundaries and see where that gets you. If he still clings on every single day then drop him like a dead weight.

Ignore me Im turning into a cynical old cow:DWhen I see couples exchanging vows I wonder how long it will last..Sorry but I cant help it:o

Started a diet this morning and was fine for the first few hours. Now, I'm starving and don't know what to have for lunch :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement