Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MisterMagoo

A bit like the grocer's apostrophe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I hate the way RTE news on Drivetime reads the same news story 3 times.

First Mary Wilson introduces the news and gives us a synopsis of the story, then the newsreader will give their synopsis of the story and then the detailed news gives us the story.....before heading to the reporter who finally tells us the story.

When they look at the papers in Ireland AM on TV3, they do the same thing, except after repeating the stories, they then comment on the photos on the front page, giving a synopsis of the story they mentioned 10 seconds ago, and 30 seconds before on the other paper, and 43 seconds before on the first paper, and all the time using the same phrases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

When they look at the papers in Ireland AM on TV3, they do the same thing, except after repeating the stories, they then comment on the photos on the front page, giving a synopsis of the story they mentioned 10 seconds ago, and 30 seconds before on the other paper, and 43 seconds before on the first paper, and all the time using the same phrases.
    Its actually a thing they teach in journalism.
    Tell the people what you are about to tell them.
    Tell them
    Then tell them what you just told them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hate the way RTE news on Drivetime reads the same news story 3 times.

First Mary Wilson introduces the news and gives us a synopsis of the story, then the newsreader will give their synopsis of the story and then the detailed news gives us the story.....before heading to the reporter who finally tells us the story.

That drives me nuts too. Once is plenty for the synopsis, then the reporters on the ground. That's more than enough.

I am TA'd that the presenter of the show tells us everything, and then we have to listen again. AAARGH. Why Whoy???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

This is true....though you do run the risk of people covering what you lick in mustard as part of an escalation of the food dispute??

Really there's a lot to be said for tubberware :L

Ahem, it's Tupperware, sorry:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Bought a fruit today that I hadn't tried before, a custard apple. I read online that the seeds are toxic so I carefully scooped out the flesh to use in a smoothie and threw out the rest. Of course, I could hear a seed rattling around in the blender then. :( It broke into many pieces too. I didn't feel like testing just how toxic they were, so it went down the drain. So annoying! At least I tasted the fruit before mixing I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,733 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Saoirse Ronan's accent.

It just sounds too put on!!

"Wats da bleedin storree bud"

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MisterMagoo

Another thing that really annoys me about RTE.

Lunchtime News on Radio - live report from our Crime Correspondant Paul Whatshisname.

Paul doesn't tell us anything new. Nothing more than we have heard in his previous report. RTE just showing off that Paul is live and on the spot. Paul just repeats everything he just told us a few minutes ago.

Not just Paul, all the live reporters do the same. There is only so much you can drag out of a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Back to work tomorrow after 10 days off,I cant put in words how bad Im feeling and the wine isnt even numbing the pain.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I know it's trivial but it annoys me when other work colleagues greet me with "Well...?"

What's that supposed to mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Passing the test doesn't really prepare anyone for going on a motorway does it. At least this person might have had an experienced driver with them and had that safety net rather than going on their own for the first time after passing the test

Just get the L plates and straight off the ramp over to the middle or right lane.
    Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Maybe the car has more than 1 driver.

Seen a car the other day flying by me, it had both an L and a N plate on front and back,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Aineoil wrote: »
    I know it's trivial but it annoys me when other work colleagues greet me with "Well...?"

Do not ever move to Waterford
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Watching a Norwegian film on Netflix with English subtitles.

Still need to have volume at decent level even though I am not listening to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Colser wrote: »
    Back to work tomorrow after 10 days off,I cant put in words how bad Im feeling and the wine isnt even numbing the pain.:(
    Ease up on the vino or you'll be going back with a headache.

You can thank me tomorrow ;) (From experience)

eternal wrote: »
    Ease up on the vino or you'll be going back with a headache.

You can thank me tomorrow ;) (From experience)

Thanks but I cant close the door when the horse has bolted:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I hate those "I ate my kids' Halloween sweets" videos. I find them distasteful and exploitative. One girl nearly had a stroke and smashed up the kitchen. It's so ugly. Someone would want to have a word with the parents. That kind of publicity cannot be good and I'm sure the kids involved will be murderous over the videos in years to come.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Aineoil wrote: »

Well, how are things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pedestrian crossings- why does it take so long for the green man to come on? I mean the ones in quieter suburban areas. Like the traffic has to be stopped at some stage so why keep pedestrians waiting so bloody long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks but I cant close the door when the horse has bolted:D

Speaking from experience as one who hated Sunday nights before work next day, ONE paracetemol and a fizzy vitamin C before bed was the business. (after a few glasses of yummy red).

Now that I am no longer a member of the working class lol, I love Sunday nights. Sorry :D

• Advertisement

Speaking from experience as one who hated Sunday nights before work next day, ONE paracetemol and a fizzy vitamin C before bed was the business. (after a few glasses of yummy red).

Now that I am no longer a member of the working class lol, I love Sunday nights. Sorry :D

Im reading your posts on the other thread and Im jealous:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

watching TV with my parents. the following are some of the many reasons why it is IMPOSSIBLE to get through an episode of ANYTHING without several instances of disruption.

1. Either of them want a 'refill' - Dad trudges out to the kitchen and is gone for about 5 mins - decides to start stacking the dishwasher while he's at it.

2. Mum needs to go to the loo as soon as Dad comes back in with said refill.

3. Mum just randomly decides to fill us in on something during scenes of dialogue: "Oh, did I tell you I was talking to X the other day?"

4. Dad: "I missed that last part,what did they say? Rewind it!"

5. Either of them: "Wait....who's he again?" "I don't get that, what happened there!" "Why are they doing that? Just pause it and tell me!"

Is it too much to ask to just be able to watch an episode without the running commentary and stopping and starting? Maybe I'm just impatient, but it drives me mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Re-setting my alarm clock on a Sunday night to 6am. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

I hear you, though mines not till 6:30.

Plus I had a lie-in this morning even though I promised myself I'd get up early today so I could sleep tonight. Now I'm not able to sleep, and am counting how many hours sleep I'll get! Typical Sunday night behaviour!

mud wrote: »
    I hate those "I ate my kids' Halloween sweets" videos. I find them distasteful and exploitative. One girl nearly had a stroke and smashed up the kitchen. It's so ugly. Someone would want to have a word with the parents. That kind of publicity cannot be good and I'm sure the kids involved will be murderous over the videos in years to come.

A lot of these are usually started by Jimmy Kimmel, I believe.

He also started a "challenge", which involved children filming themselves dumping cereal on their fathers on Father's Day, because that's oh so funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I want wine now. I'm so easily subliminally seduced by Boards it's not even funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Tinnitus :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 DrH Lecter

the infinite loop that is a watery eye.

watery eye irritates and causes rubbing causing watery eye causing rubbing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

1. When I'm struggling trying to open something for ages and the next person comes along, takes it off me and has it open in less than a second. I feel so weak!

2. Ciaran f*cking Twomey. He is not "soooo hilarious haaaa".

3. When Monday happens.

4. When there should be an annoyance for number 4 but I can't f*cking remember what I was ranting about in my head while I was making coffee. Coffee that is cold because I put too much milk in it.

5. Writing femwemver when trying to write remember. Writing wrjying when trying to write writing. Stupid keypad.

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    1. When I'm struggling trying to open something for ages and the next person comes along, takes it off me and has it open in less than a second. I feel so weak!

3. When Monday happens.

4. When there should be an annoyance for number 4 but I can't f*cking remember what I was ranting about in my head while I was making coffee. Coffee that is cold because I put too much milk in it.

5. Writing femwemver when trying to write remember. Writing wrjying when trying to write writing. Stupid keypad.
    Good morning Rosie..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Good morning Rosie..:D

What's good about it :p .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

1. Traffic. I'm going to have to leave my house at 6.45 tomorrow to be at work for 8. That, or sit in traffic for half an hour, like I did this morning, despite leaving the house at 6.55 which worked until now. :eek:

2. My friendly new colleague keeps coming in earlier and earlier meaning I've to make small talk before I've even had my coffee.

3. My (Mass going conservative culchie )brother. Talking about an accident in which a driver fled the scene. "He was a darkie and all" :eek:. (He's 42, not 80 :( ).

...The sarcasm went right over his head when I responded that "Sure he probably wasn't even a Catholic and was over here to supplant our religion with his heathen beliefs. And he was going to take your job as well." :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Read a tweet from someone last night that said something along the lines of "As much as I'm looking forward to Xmas, that Cian f*&^ing Twomey will be releasing videos of having to buy presents for his missus".
    No matter what he gets her I hope she gets him a beard trimmer for that pube beard of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

It was well after 3am when I fell asleep (stupidly long lie-in yesterday morning to thank for that). I bounced out of bed at 6:45 - before the alarm went off! Breakfast on the table and lunches made before kids were down the stairs. Hens fed, everybody dressed and out the door so early that we were at the school before the gate opened. Absolutely wonderful, right?

I'm in work 30 minutes at this stage and I'm fading so fast - there's no way I going to be still awake at 17:30 this evening :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,225 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

My work phone going on the blink on me this morning! :mad:

I looked at it going to bed last night and it was 50% battery life left, figured that'd be grand. Alarm went off at 6, then the low battery indicator came up. I still figured I'd charge it when I got into work. The battery went dead and I've had it plugged in for the last hour to try and get some juice into it. No fcuking joy :(

This has happened before, but the phone would usually come on within half an hour, it's the third time I've had this particular model replaced, so I know it's not one of a bad batch, and I know it happens with other models, it's just the USB charging port on many of these phones with a USB charging port is pure dirt! I have a Nokia N8, pin charger, still a workhorse of a phone four years later!

Think I'll go into one of the pawn shops and pick myself up a brick from 2000 or something, Bob Geldof had a point (about the only time he ever had a point really) when he said this -

Speaking in 2014, the human-rights activist and former punk rock star Bob Geldof said that he still uses a Nokia 6210 14 years after its release and due to its robust nature referred to it as “The AK-47 of mobile phones.”

Also - posting this in the wrong freakin' thread :o

We're off to a great start to the week! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Where is the spelling mistake thread?

Beside the grammar police one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Its actually a thing they teach in journalism.
    Tell the people what you are about to tell them.
    Tell them
    Then tell them what you just told them.
    But all of that in 20 seconds, then repeat when the next news paper covers the same story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,733 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Another thing that really annoys me about RTE.

any time there is a big story, and you see on all other (non Irish) news stations, they have in an expert in the particular field of the news story,

and on RTE, it's just another RTE employee who knows very little about the subject, but happens to be RTE's crime/tech/science/farming/business/war correspondent.

usually it's always the same 2/3 people.

3. When Monday happens.

I have no idea who the f*ck Ciaran Twomey is. He's got a stupid second name though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Awake since 4.30, head racing.

Standing for ages waiting on the green man. It always makes me feel so self conscious when alone and there's lots of traffic. Logically, I know when I'm driving I don't stare at random pedestrians, but even so. The turmoil of do I stand there like a tool, or risk pegging it across with traffic coming from 4 possible directions. Will I annoy someone if I do that?

Hanging around outside the chemist wondering why the hell it wasn't open. Then I remembered I was out way earlier than usual, and it wasn't opening for another 15 minutes.

I saw a pair of jeans in Tesco last week, but not in my leg length. On checking again today they were there. The short length leg was exactly the same length as the standard leg. What a crock of steaming sh1te !:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Tinnitus :(

I've had that in the past and it's like constant tourture. The worst part was in bed at night, there was complete silence apart from that high pitched ringing in my ear. I couldn't help but focus on the noise and so it kept me awake. I ended up putting a radio on the locker and leaving it with the volume set low. The radio noise thankfully helped drown out the tinnitus ringing and it helped me sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My name isn't a hard name to spell right, yet the insurance broker added an extra letter when processing my details. I got an Axa Plus card in the post today, my name spelt wrong on the envelope , and on the bloody card.
    My three yr olds face is still tinged green from Halloween face paint. She looks quite sickly.
    It's one of those days today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,300 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Having a cold all weekend and today. Why today? Of all days, why today? Nothing special is happening today, just, why today? Why not... never? Why can't I just never have a cold?

"Why can’t I have everything I want all of the time? Isn’t that democracy?"
    — Jez (Peep Show)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Coffee grit at the end of my mug that got through the filter. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,225 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

My work phone going on the blink on me this morning! :mad:

We're off to a great start to the week! :rolleyes:

Wrenched my laptop off my desk earlier when I tripped over the adapter cable, the laptop took a right bang, but it's designed to be able to withstand a drop like that, isn't it? Apparently they must have hoped nobody would ever test that outside the lab... :(

The hard drive is fine at least, connected here to my desktop machine, a ten year old Optiplex GX280 - slower than me, but like me, it never gives up! :D

(at least I got the phone back working too, got it to boot, just reloading the software now)

It's just been a very, very frustrating day :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Helpful people who, when handsoap is running low - half fill the dispenser with water to make it last longer.
    Then you go to put soap on your hands but instead you get a splash of water on your clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

members on here that have to put a signature (ie. their username) at the end of every post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I always wondered, is that automated, or do they go to the trouble of signing each post

I'm on the same wages now as I was ten years ago. Just realised. Beyond annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I'm on the same wages now as I was ten years ago. Just realised. Beyond annoyed.

That's bollocks. You know what else is bollocks? I'm grossing about €80 per-month more than I was in the middle of 2010, but I'm taking home €58 less now than I was then. Gummint, leave me monies alone, gods-dammit! :mad:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    That's bollocks. You know what else is bollocks? I'm grossing about €80 per-month more than I was in the middle of 2010, but I'm taking home €58 less now than I was then. Gummint, leave me monies alone, gods-dammit! :mad:

I've had three (possibly four) pay rises since 2006, but they've all been absorbed by FG's weekly salary rape. That IS b*llocks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement