Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

rosie16 wrote: »
    Don't worry I'm the most un-lady ever. I should edit that to say: 'anyone who gets their eyebrows waxed.'

Me too. I've never had mine "done". I don't get eyelash tinting either...
    :(

And I'm terrified of the beauty counter assistants in Debenhams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

This article. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2015/nov/10/heading-football-health-hazard-kids-brain-damage

Didn't open the article? The main point of it is; American Soccer has banned kids under ten years old from heading the ball.

Personally I think it's a stupid thing to ban and it should be up there with the overly sensitive (easily offended). It's part of the sport. You don't want a kid to header a ball due to risk of brain damage? What are you going to do next, stop tackles in case they break their legs? Stop running in case you twist your ankle? Stop kicking the ball in case you fracture your big toe? Come off it, like. It's part of football/soccer to head a ball. I have never, in my life, heard of a case of brain damage coming up in youth football due to headers.

I'd say it's a subjective matter as in it depends in which way you look at it. Well that's how I see it and I see it as a stupid decision.

That's my TA for the week, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This article. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2015/nov/10/heading-football-health-hazard-kids-brain-damage

Didn't open the article? The main point of it is; American Soccer has banned kids under ten years old from heading the ball.

Personally I think it's a stupid thing to ban and it should be up there with the overly sensitive (easily offended). It's part of the sport. You don't want a kid to header a ball due to risk of brain damage? What are you going to do next, stop tackles in case they break their legs? Stop running in case you twist your ankle? Stop kicking the ball in case you fracture your big toe? Come off it, like. It's part of football/soccer to head a ball. I have never, in my life, heard of a case of brain damage coming up in youth football due to headers.

I'd say it's a subjective matter as in it depends in which way you look at it. Well that's how I see it and I see it as a stupid decision.

That's my TA for the week, I'd say.

Google can be your friend: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soccer-players-show-signs-of-brain/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

smash wrote: »

Fair enough I stand corrected. First impression was "that really annoys me". :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Me too. I've never had mine "done". I don't get eyelash tinting either...
    :(

And I'm terrified of the beauty counter assistants in Debenhams!

I've never had my eyebrows done, or eyelashes. Ive never had anything waxed. I've never had a tan done, or a massage or ever been on a spa day. I've never had make up done. I had a manicure and pedicure once, only because it was part of the night away. I put off getting my hair done till the bitter end. Sometimes I annoy myself by wondering what's up with me that I have absolutely no interest in any of it. I think it's probably that I just don't like people at me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

73Cat wrote: »
    I've never had my eyebrows done, or eyelashes. Ive never had anything waxed. I've never had a tan done, or a massage or ever been on a spa day. I've never had make up done. I had a manicure and pedicure once, only because it was part of the night away. I put off getting my hair done till the bitter end. Sometimes I annoy myself by wondering what's up with me that I have absolutely no interest in any of it. I think it's probably that I just don't like people at me!

You're just like me! There's only one hairdresser I'm comfortable going to, the lady who cut my hair since I was little. I live 55 miles away but my parents still live nearby so I can get a cut when I'm home for a visit. I dread to think what I'll do when she decides she's cut enough hair and hangs up her scissors for good. I like her because she's got no airs or graces!

I like the "one woman operation" salons... I hate passing through three different people for washing/ cutting/ styling like a piece of machinery on a conveyor belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

A man in a crap, cheap, ill fitting suit

A man in a decent suit, let down by crap shoes

A man in a decent suit, with decent shoes that are screaming out for a bit of polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Being on the phone waiting to get through to HMRC. So glad for put on speakerphone, and inclusive minutes. 27 minutes waiting to get through so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

eisenberg1 wrote: »

A man in a decent suit, with decent shoes that are screaming out for a bit of polish.

Too add to that: a man with a heavily striped shirt and striped tie.

No!

Just NO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I hate when dog owners leave plastic bags of dog poo BESIDE bins in parks. Is this a spiteful act ? I think so. The bins aren't full whenever I see it happening

• Advertisement

Those plastic ring pull lids on milk cartons... when the ring pull bit snaps off before the lid :eek:
    How'll I rescue my trapped milk!!!

Or when it does open, and the 'jerk' movement causes an involuntary milk spillage that's almost worth crying over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Those plastic ring pull lids on milk cartons... when the ring pull bit snaps off before the lid :eek:
    How'll I rescue my trapped milk!!!

Or when it does open, and the 'jerk' movement causes an involuntary milk spillage that's almost worth crying over!

This has happened me on occasion when I am feeding the neighbour's dog. At this time of year it's a pin in the áss because it's dark and I'm trying to get her sorted for the night, into her kennel, fix blankets etc all by torchlight and then I go to open a can of dog food and the f*cking thing pulls right off but the lid doesn't budge. So I'm left in the near darkness trying to pry it open with whatever sharp object I can find without severing my own fingers off :( Our own house is a five minute walk away so going back for a can opener is not an option.

This will probably happen me tonight and then I'll think about Boards and Whiskeyman :P

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    This will probably happen me tonight and then I'll think about Boards and Whiskeyman :P

Bring the trusty can opener just in case!!
    You'll be delighted should it break then!

:pac:

Bring the trusty can opener just in case!!
    You'll be delighted should it break then!

:pac:
    I'll probably be TA if it doesn't :P You know what we're like!

Suffering with manflu has declared my taste and smell senses out of action.

Typical that someone should give me a gift of food I love that can only be sourced from half way around the world that I'd normal scoff in a split second!

bah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Too add to that: a man with a heavily striped shirt and striped tie.

No!

Just NO!!!

Or the "footballer's knot".

Learn to do a Windsor or half Windsor lad FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

73Cat wrote: »

I was like this before I got orthodontic treatment. Five years of having my mouth opened soon changed that. Now I'm up for anything.

Running late svs going out without my winter hat.

Also why are earphones no longer built to comfortably fit in ears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I think I'm getting a chest infection. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

razorblunt wrote: »
    Or the "footballer's knot".

Learn to do a Windsor or half Windsor lad FFS.

I'm in my thirties and I cannot

1)tie a tie properly
    2)tie shoelaces properly

For both I have found a way to do it, but people look at me with tilted head and puzzled look when they see me doing it.

I can't teach the kids to tie their laces now either, the boy is all f*cked up about tying laces because of my style and because Mrs. Bap is a leftie. He has no idea what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

McChubbin wrote: »
    I think I'm getting a chest infection. :(

Ugh I hope you're not. Nothing worse.
    I had a bad cold and cough the week before Christmas. I assumed that's all it was.

Until Christmas morning dawned and I felt worse. During the day the cough had reached deep into my chest and it was a chest infection.
    I felt so terrible; each cough was agony and I felt so sick.

Obviously there was no doctor's open and it wasn't an emergency so it didn't warrant an A&E visit. I lay on the bed and cried, feeling so sorry for myself.
    I ended up having a few drinks and felt a LOT better.

Told me GP a few days later when I was getting antibiotics and he said he'd have done the same himself.

Anyway, long story short; get yourself some antibiotics if you really think it's a chest infection.
    It won't go on its' own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Stupid wisdom teeth moving my (formerly) lovely teeth that my parents spent a fortune having fixed :-(

People putting their kids pictures as their facebook profile picture. Pisses me off no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Dogs without a leash.

Going into a room and immediately forgetting why you went in.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Stupid wisdom teeth moving my (formerly) lovely teeth that my parents spent a fortune having fixed :-(

One of my teeth moved after the five years of treatment and I asked for it to be straightened again. Nobody will listen to me and they said it looks fine. I paid for it myself when I was on a low wage and I think they should fix it. I demand perfection.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

modern technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm in my thirties and I cannot

1)tie a tie properly
    2)tie shoelaces properly

For both I have found a way to do it, but people look at me with tilted head and puzzled look when they see me doing it.

I can't teach the kids to tie their laces now either, the boy is all f*cked up about tying laces because of my style and because Mrs. Bap is a leftie. He has no idea what is going on.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. The vast majority of people can't tie shoelaces properly either

I'm also a fan of the opinion espoused by the literary James Bond who famously 'abhorred shoe-laces'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

anticipatory anxiety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

People claiming they 'can't function' until they've had their coffee. FFS it's not crack cocaine. You don't need a cup of hot black shít in a cup just to wake up.

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »
    One of my teeth moved after the five years of treatment and I asked for it to be straightened again. Nobody will listen to me and they said it looks fine. I paid for it myself when I was on a low wage and I think they should fix it. I demand perfection.

This happened to me too but it was my own fault for not wearing a retainer bar at night. Two front teeth have move a millimeter and everybody swears they cant notice but I can and it drives me mental. As soon as I get over my exams next year, I'm getting a brace back on, although it might be nice to have the teeth sorted for my graduation. Hmmmm......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

F**king media with their phrases

First it was "Grexit" - referring to the possible exit of Greece from the EU

Now we have to deal with "Brexit"?

FFS :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

People claiming they 'can't function' until they've had their coffee. FFS it's not crack cocaine. You don't need a cup of hot black shít in a cup just to wake up.

Au contraire. If they have a coffee every morning, their brain make-up will have altered slightly to compensate, and they may well have problems focusing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

People putting their kids pictures as their facebook profile picture. Pisses me off no end.

Adults who give a fúck about facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

everlast75 wrote: »
    F**king media with their phrases

First it was "Grexit" - referring to the possible exit of Greece from the EU

Now we have to deal with "Brexit"?

FFS :mad:[/QUOTE

One sound like a cereal and the other like a toilet roll.
    Adults who give a fúck about facebook.

Anyone who give a fcuk about Facebook.:D

Judgemental people

I thought about Whiskeyman last night when I was feeding the dog :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Went to a wedding recently and my husband and I met up with our friend who was staying in the hotel. Since the ceremony was in the hotel, the friend invited us to his room to have a drink before the wedding.

When we got to the room, he was in his suit. He started looking through his bag and realised that he had forgot his shoes. He only had these runner like shoes that were brown. He was freaking out. I felt bad but any time I looked at him in the runners with the suit I couldn't stop laughing. Then he realised he also forgot his cufflinks and his belt. Ha! Found the belt in a side pocket in the end.

The minute we got down to the bar before the wedding, straight away the other lads noticed it. They were like "wtf are you wearing?".

This happened to me too but it was my own fault for not wearing a retainer bar at night. Two front teeth have move a millimeter and everybody swears they cant notice but I can and it drives me mental. As soon as I get over my exams next year, I'm getting a brace back on, although it might be nice to have the teeth sorted for my graduation. Hmmmm......
    Mine is very crooked and they didn't give me a retainer for the upper teeth. I'm wondering about getting a bar I could wear. I'll ask about it again. I'm their nightmare client. As well in my latest graduation picture all I see is red hair and brown knashers whatever way the light took on the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Job hunting :(

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »
    Mine is very crooked and they didn't give me a retainer for the upper teeth. I'm wondering about getting a bar I could wear. I'll ask about it again. I'm their nightmare client. As well in my latest graduation picture all I see is red hair and brown knashers whatever way the light took on the day!

They wont give a retaining bar for the top row of teeth, only for the lower one. I've a permanent retainer bar behind my bottom teeth and they are perfect. Top ones are less than perfect :( It would be worth going back to the orthodontist who did the work. Mine offered to fit a brace again for 3-4 months to push them back to perfect, and only charge me for the cost of the brace and not his time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

This is very trivial.

My GP doesn't do appointments, he opens at 10am and it's first come first served. I usually arrive to queue up around 9.30, and at that stage I'm usually around 10th in the queue, so am there till around lunchtime before I get seen.

Today I arrived at 8.50 so I'd be first in the queue. Hardly anyone else turned up until almost 10. If I'd arrived at 9.30 as usual, I'd have been grand.

I mean, I know I still saved loads of time and all that. It would just have been so satisfying though, to have that usual big long queue of people behind me at 9.30 ... I totally missed out on that feeling of smugness I was so looking forward to! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The wipers are playing up on the car. Not a budge out of them when I flicked them on earlier, and while I'm trying to think what could be wrong, and poking at them, they start to work again. By this time it had stopped raining. I went to the supermarket and it was raining a bit when I came out, and again not a budge out of them. I drove down the town very cautiously , thankfully it wasn't raining heavily. I did what I had to do, by which time it was dry again. When I started the car the wipers sprung into life. Aaaaargh!

This is very trivial.

My GP doesn't do appointments, he opens at 10am and it's first come first served. I usually arrive to queue up around 9.30, and at that stage I'm usually around 10th in the queue, so am there till around lunchtime before I get seen.

Today I arrived at 8.50 so I'd be first in the queue. Hardly anyone else turned up until almost 10. If I'd arrived at 9.30 as usual, I'd have been grand.

I mean, I know I still saved loads of time and all that. It would just have been so satisfying though, to have that usual big long queue of people behind me at 9.30 ... I totally missed out on that feeling of smugness I was so looking forward to! :o

God. The only thing worse than being sick is being sick in a room full of other sick people and getting sicker :(

Eternal: On retainers, i have the removable kind for both upper and lower. I've worn them fairly religiously since i got my teeth straightened many years ago.
    At the time they took out teeth to make room for wisdoms so ehh I'd definitely go back and ask

People who use "big" words to make themselves seem more important. "Purchased" instead of "bought" and "obtain" instead of "get". You don't fool anyone!

Also, my mother insists on saying "boooook" instead of pronouncing it "buck" and it drives me f*cking mad :mad: Book! It's BOOK! Like, COOK and LOOK! For F*CK sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

People who use "big" words to make themselves seem more important. "Purchased" instead of "bought" and "obtain" instead of "get". You don't fool anyone!

Also, my mother insists on saying "boooook" instead of pronouncing it "buck" and it drives me f*cking mad :mad: Book! It's BOOK! Like, COOK and LOOK! For F*CK sake.

But "Book" isn't pronounced "buck", it is supposed to be pronounced like "cook" and "look" which in turn aren't supposed to be pronounced "cuck and "luck".

One of my own pet hates is when people use the word "utilise" instead of "use". A former boss of mine would use it all the time in any correspondence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

One of my own pet hates is when people use the word "utilise" instead of "use". A former boss of mine would utilise it all the time in any correspondence.

Corrected your post ;);)

But "Book" isn't pronounced "buck", it is supposed to be pronounced like "cook" and "look" which in turn aren't supposed to be pronounced "cuck and "luck".

One of my own pet hates is when people use the word "utilise" instead of "use". A former boss of mine would use it all the time in any correspondence.

I know how it is supposed to be pronounced, hence my post.

Do you honestly pronounce "luck" and "look" differently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I know how it is supposed to be pronounced, hence my post.

Do you honestly pronounce "luck" and "look" differently?

Yes, as do most people I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement