Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

It's not the first time and the area they search is easily covered by gardai on foot. Trust me, it's a waste of money and resources and the kids aren't in danger. It's a small enough town in an urban area, no risky terrain. The last young 'wan was sat under a tree in the search area. That time there was the same nonsense, Search and Rescue helicopter, Gardai, Ambulance and an aqua unit from another part of Clare. She'd have been found in a fraction of the time by a K9 unit.:rolleyes:

As I said, I don't have any details, but who is to say that the kid didn't tell her parents she was going to jump off a cliff, or he was throw himself in a river.....time was most likely of the essence, and I would prefer to see the resources used to bring a person home alive than pull a body from a river Three days later. I appreciate it may be some kid who had a row with his or her boyfriend or girlfriend, but that's what the resources are for.

Sure what about when surfers are advised not to go out due to severe weather, they still go and then a helicopter has to go out and rescue them....also at great expense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

KatW4 wrote: »
    Do I bring a coat or do I not bring a coat?

do you not have a nice cardigan:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    As I said, I don't have any details, but who is to say that the kid didn't tell her parents she was going to jump off a cliff, or he was throw himself in a river.....time was most likely of the essence, and I would prefer to see the resources used to bring a person home alive than pull a body from a river Three days later. I appreciate it may be some kid who had a row with his or her boyfriend or girlfriend, but that's what the resources are for.

Sure what about when surfers are advised not to go out due to severe weather, they still go and then a helicopter has to go out and rescue them....also at great expense

There's so much mud in the Estuary that they wouldn't be able to walk out far enough to drown and we don't have any cliffs.:P Seriously though, after 24 hours of being missing time really wasn't of the essence. Generations of us have hung around there and not a single person drowned or even came close to it. I know it sounds as if I'm being heartless, but given that the area is safe and the extant of the emergency services involved, it was total overkill.

eisenberg1 wrote: »

Or the mother who let her 6 year old climb up a 5 metre rock, then he couldn't climb down so the Coast Guard had to come out and get him down.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

So many things annoying me today I fear I will just implode. Or go and drink a bottle of vodka on the top of a mountain, because well...that always sorts everything doesn't it.

One of our cats is missing. TA that when I call the (very helpful) vets in the area, I can feel them judging me (probably rightly) too:

"Is she chipped?"
    "No"
    ...pause....
    "Is she collared?"
    "No"
    ...pause....
    ...more pause....
    "Ok"

:(

Also TA that I ring the OH every fúcking day 2-3 times before I get an answer. Well, not calling any more. Let's see how long it will take for her to notice. She probably wont...

TA that we had a really big lunch with ONE glass of wine. Heating is on, I'm about to enter a carb coma....and I've had ONE glass of wine :(

Spent what seemed like an eternity travelling to work alone and lonely and with a stupid old fashioned phone with no games/internet/music. I would have loved to have some company during that time. Recently acquired a smartphone and so excited about listening to music and being online for the journey to and from work. However the arrival of the new phone coincided with a few co-workers realising we are on the same route so now... Three things TA me about this. The first is when you are travelling alone you can make a dive for a free seat anywhere. When you are in a group, this is considered to be rude. So, I end up having to stand the whole way which is fúcking maddening. Two is that its nice to leave behind the day when you finish, but when the conversation turns to work (as it invariably does), its like a lingering smell from the day following you home. And thirdly, I can't listen to my music! Sounds a bit anti-social I know but sometimes this is all the time I get to just sit and chill...and now it's been replaced by standing making office small talk.

And I still can't find my cat :(

And I hate my OH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Needless, confusing change...

When you find yourself still on the phone to someone ten minutes after you've said, "so I've no news really" :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

LynnGrace wrote: »
    On a day off, and listening to a chain saw all morning. Now that I've had a look, I figure it will be going for the day. It's in the estate next to ours, and the tree is huge!
    Why do people plant trees like that in small gardens?! Oh well, at least I didn't stay in bed all morning <clutches at silver lining> :rolleyes:

And the chainsaw is still droning on...

My next door neighbours are very sociable and both come from families that bred like rabbits. They're dropping in in groups today and spending the afternoon in the back yard, it's like a redneck picnic and it will continue that way every day as long as there are sunny afternoons/evenings. Not so bad today, but when it happens on weeks where my husband is on nightshift it's a pain in the hole since he gets woken up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The face of that smug looking kid in the Independent.ie background/advert thingy today for Tesco Mobile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I'm TA that since this morning when I was last on, someone has gone and moved AH. Where the bloody hell are we now? I'm old and get easily confused, changes like this shouldnt be just sprung :(:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Thought it just me! But i can't manage to log out either, prob computer gone wonky :(

ok, I now know I didn't break it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

^^^
    Thank God, I thought it was me after managing to delete After Hours !! Very mysterious altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Thought it just me! But i can't manage to log out either, prob computer gone wonky :(

ok, I now know I didn't break it :D

Everything is all over the place(has Dave been at wires and cables again?:D)
    I'm not seeing notifications or anything and I'm still trying to find out where we are on here.

I am delighted that others a TA by this and I'm not just losing it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    So many things annoying me today I fear I will just implode. Or go and drink a bottle of vodka on the top of a mountain, because well...that always sorts everything doesn't it.

One of our cats is missing. TA that when I call the (very helpful) vets in the area, I can feel them judging me (probably rightly) too:

"Is she chipped?"
    "No"
    ...pause....
    "Is she collared?"
    "No"
    ...pause....
    ...more pause....
    "Ok"

:(

Also TA that I ring the OH every fúcking day 2-3 times before I get an answer. Well, not calling any more. Let's see how long it will take for her to notice. She probably wont...

TA that we had a really big lunch with ONE glass of wine. Heating is on, I'm about to enter a carb coma....and I've had ONE glass of wine :(

Spent what seemed like an eternity travelling to work alone and lonely and with a stupid old fashioned phone with no games/internet/music. I would have loved to have some company during that time. Recently acquired a smartphone and so excited about listening to music and being online for the journey to and from work. However the arrival of the new phone coincided with a few co-workers realising we are on the same route so now... Three things TA me about this. The first is when you are travelling alone you can make a dive for a free seat anywhere. When you are in a group, this is considered to be rude. So, I end up having to stand the whole way which is fúcking maddening. Two is that its nice to leave behind the day when you finish, but when the conversation turns to work (as it invariably does), its like a lingering smell from the day following you home. And thirdly, I can't listen to my music! Sounds a bit anti-social I know but sometimes this is all the time I get to just sit and chill...and now it's been replaced by standing making office small talk.

And I still can't find my cat :(

And I hate my OH.

You need to cruise to work in a Jaaaaag! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There's so much mud in the Estuary that they wouldn't be able to walk out far enough to drown and we don't have any cliffs.:P Seriously though, after 24 hours of being missing time really wasn't of the essence. Generations of us have hung around there and not a single person drowned or even came close to it. I know it sounds as if I'm being heartless, but given that the area is safe and the extant of the emergency services involved, it was total overkill.

A very old mate of mine was found in the cold mud of the Shannon Estuary a few years ago. Poor devil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Smidge wrote: »
    Everything is all over the place(has Dave been at wires and cables again?:D)
    I'm not seeing notifications or anything and I'm still trying to find out where we are on here.

I am delighted that others a TA by this and I'm not just losing it :D

My notifications are back :D TA that I'm definitely going to have to stay wearing my glasses until I figure out where everything is , instead of squinting at the screen :)

Smidge wrote: »
    I'm TA that since this morning when I was last on, someone has gone and moved AH. Where the bloody hell are we now? I'm old and get easily confused, changes like this shouldnt be just sprung :(:o

AH now in 'social and fun' http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7

So go forth and be social and have fun :D

Needing to do a couple of clicks every time I want to access forums that I could access in just one click in the past.

Argh. Not even about not knowing where to find stuff, but the several times more clicks is very ARGH. Silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Needing to do a couple of clicks every time I want to access forums that I could access in just one click in the past.

Argh. Not even about not knowing where to find stuff, but the several times more clicks is very ARGH. Silly.

Search bar???
    Or is that gone😫

• Advertisement

Search bar???
    Or is that gone😫

Search bar still there thankfully, but that takes even longer... having to type the name of a forum every time... rather than the previous one click system... Just glad I have 'my threads' still for the ones I use regularly... think I might be just sticking to those from now on unless it improves... too much hassle otherwise tbh :D

That I hadn't kissed a boy for many months, and now I can feel a cold sore coming up on my lip. Probably not just a coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Very very TA that my phone did an upgrade today & Boards is now all changed. Can't get my head around the layout at all. Grrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Being wolf-whistled at whilst cycling!

Oh just wish they'd just jog on! If they can ie.

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Very very TA that my phone did an upgrade today & Boards is now all changed. Can't get my head around the layout at all. Grrrr

Okay, reading through the thread maybe it's not just me having problems..

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Okay, reading through the thread maybe it's not just me having problems..

Nope, not just you, and don't think it's really to do with your phone update http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057416973

Nope, not just you, and don't think it's really to do with your phone update http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057416973

Thanks! Don't like change ;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NoAlarms

Took my son to the playground today..and a little fecker started pulling his hair (he's two and has bouncy curls I refuse to cut yet).

My TA is the Yummy Mummies sitting on a bench saw it yet totally ignored it,would love to correct their "darlings" but didn't so had to take curly man away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

NoAlarms wrote: »
    Took my son to the playground today..and a little fecker started pulling his hair (he's two and has bouncy curls I refuse to cut yet).

My TA is the Yummy Mummies sitting on a bench saw it yet totally ignored it,would love to correct their "darlings" but didn't so had to take curly man away

Punch the child in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Search bar still there thankfully, but that takes even longer... having to type the name of a forum every time... rather than the previous one click system... Just glad I have 'my threads' still for the ones I use regularly... think I might be just sticking to those from now on unless it improves... too much hassle otherwise tbh :D

Just go to the browser bar and type af, your browser will automatically suggest after hours, quicker than searching thru Boards itself. Mind you I'm using a laptop.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Just go to the browser bar and type af, your browser will automatically suggest after hours, quicker than searching thru Boards itself. Mind you I'm using a laptop.

I'm also using a laptop. Wasn't the point but thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

TA at the young wan in the Barrys Tea ad. The one who is going to visit her granny. Shops in vintage clothes shops, plays the gee-taur in uber trendy bars, wears oh so funky bowler hats, paints her nails black, shops for retro vinyl in second hand record shops, wears Doc Martens. And on and on and on. It's like she was hired from Rent-A-Hipster just for the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

People who buy/own iPhone cases with the little hole in the back so you can see the Apple logo?? Why??
    I'd be considered by some to be a fanboy, and wouldn't dream of one of those covers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

People who use those little Bluetooth headsets while walking around!
    I get that they are useful in the car, but when Billy is walking around Tesco getting his messages, and he has a blue light flashing on his ear, I think he looks like a fool.
    I also think he thinks he looks quite important!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

People who wrestle with the plastic containers at the salad bar. They take too many then paw them all over trying to separate them. Leave the pawed one for the next person.... Yeuky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

When you find yourself still on the phone to someone ten minutes after you've said, "so I've no news really" :(

Similar to my mother ringing me and saying 'I won't keep you' and yet 10 minutes later I am still listening to her tell me things she has already told me numerous times. Sometimes I'm so annoyed by it that I interrupt to remind her that she has already told me that, often more than once and she gets mad narky and tells me not be to so rude

Got up early (which was painful) and managed to take an early luas.... got a seat....headphones in.....playlist sorted.....

... Next of all someone from the office taps me on the shoulder. Had to abandon music and make small talk the rest of the journey. I actually felt a creeping rage...

I'm thinking of switching to the bus tbh. I know that might be a bit extreme but I am not a morning (or an evening) person and I am so tired from all the small talk. I just want to be left alone to listen to my music! How is it that if a luas comes every four minutes, that whether I get on at 07:45 or 08:00 or 08:10 - I still manage to bump into one of three people I am trying to avoid? If I was looking for them I wouldn't be able to find them! :(:(

NoAlarms wrote: »

I could write a book on trivial annoyances concerning playgrounds. I long for the playground years to be over!

Some Robo-Granny prety much made me her b1tch in Stephen's Green the other day. I was helping the kids on and off stuff for about 10 minutes beside a bench that had one space taken up by a school bag. Within the 10 minutes I was there no one sat in the space or came to move the bag. I decided I'd quite like a sit down so headed over and asked the lady sitting there if the bag was hers. It wasn't, so I carefully moved it and placed it on the ground beside me with the intention of putting it back on the seat when I got up.

Next minute some woman emerged from an unseen corner of the playground and came hurtling over like a geriatric terminator and absolutely lifted me out of it in Russian for moving the bag. She didn't seem to agree with me that blocking a seat with a bag for over 10 minutes and thus preventing others from sitting down was selfish and rude, but I can't be 100% sure because she just continued to rant in my face in Russian while pointing at the bag.

She spent the rest of the time staring me out of it before leaving with a parting shout of 'SORRY' which I got the feeling she didn't quite mean :D

Playgrounds really do bring out the best in people!!

Twice this week I have tried to leave a lift (promptly upon the doors opening - I'm not one of those weirdos who lurks at the back or in some unseen corner and then tries to emerge out when everyone has started to enter) and the person waiting has started to enter before I have fully exited. Both times they have said sorry yet kept pushing past. So they know they are in the wrong but can't stop themselves from being rude and impatient

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

People who use those little Bluetooth headsets while walking around!
    I get that they are useful in the car, but when Billy is walking around Tesco getting his messages, and he had a blue light flashing on his ear, I think he looks like a fool.
    I also think he thinks he looks quite important!

Agreed.

I wonder sometimes too, how people coped with shopping when they couldn't ring someone while in the supermarket, to ask the all important question of which brand of toilet paper, or whatever else, to buy :D.

Fake happiness. "HI! How are YOU???!!!!!" - fúck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

Fake happiness. "HI! How are YOU???!!!!!" - fúck off.

'Bubbly' people in general annoy me.

'Bubbly' people in general annoy me.

I just know that it's a mere scraping of happiness too. Like a layer of icing on a rotten cake. If you could manage to remove that flimsy layer of hysterical need to be happy all the fúcking time, you'd find an absolute schizoid basket case of a person underneath :( I might be an inherent crank but at least I'm stable in the sense that I'm always like that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just drank cold coffee eeeeeuuuuucccccccccccccwwwwwwwwccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh

I could have sworn I got it a couple of minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

I work with a person who has a story for EVERYTHING.

We could be talking about anything in work, chances are this person will let everyone know that a similar thing has happened to a friend/family member/someone they know. Everyone knows that most if not all of it is complete BS.

A couple of the lads even make up an elaborate story to talk out loud about, to see would this person chime in with a personal experience, and sure enough it happened to their cousin in the 80's.

Jay from the Inbetweeners hasn't a patch on this person! The person should change their name to Walter Mitty.

I was listening to a phone in show yesterday where people can ring in with questions for a vet. Guy phones in to say his 18 month old very hyper golden retriever keeps jumping up on his wife who is a few months pregnant and they don't know what to do.

The vet is great and explained that it was purely a training issue which could be overcome with a bit of work.

I mean seriously, someone is so thick that they have to ring in to ask a vet why their dog is jumping up?

I can just imagine it - 'hyper' = under exercised and under stimulated 18 month old retriever who has had no training or boundaries put in place and they only now give a sh1te because the wife is pregnant.

Hopefully the poor dog won't end up with a one way ticket to the pound once she pops the baby out.

Vel wrote: »
    I was listening to a phone in show yesterday where people can ring in with questions for a vet. Guy phones in to say his 18 month old very hyper golden retriever keeps jumping up on his wife who is a few months pregnant and they don't know what to do.

The vet is great and explained that it was purely a training issue which could be overcome with a bit of work.

I mean seriously, someone is so thick that they have to ring in to ask a vet why their dog is jumping up?

I can just imagine it - 'hyper' = under exercised and under stimulated 18 month old retriever who has had no training or boundaries put in place and they only now give a sh1te because the wife is pregnant.

Hopefully the poor dog won't end up with a one way ticket to the pound once she pops the baby out.

Poor dog will probably end up on a rehoming list. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

CPSW wrote: »
    I work with a person who has a story for EVERYTHING.

We could be talking about anything in work, chances are this person will let everyone know that a similar thing has happened to a friend/family member/someone they know. Everyone knows that most if not all of it is complete BS.

A couple of the lads even make up an elaborate story to talk out loud about, to see would this person chime in with a personal experience, and sure enough it happened to their cousin in the 80's.

Jay from the Inbetweeners hasn't a patch on this person! The person should change their name to Walter Mitty.

Oh God, I work with someone who is constantly banging on about her cousins, her nieces and nephews, her uncles and aunts etc etc etc. No matter what we're talking about she will have a family anecdote to contribute. It gets so annoying after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Actually another thing that annoys me is people who think that there's something really praiseworthy about spending long hours at work, working at home in the evenings, catching up with emails over the weekend etc and look down their noses at people who finish up at a normal time and spend their free time doing other things and not thinking about work.

If you're forced into a position where you're being exploited like that, it's very wrong. If you've no choice because of lack of alternatives, that's unfortunate. If you want to do it because it will make you lots of money or it makes you feel important or because you prefer to set up your own business than work for someone else, well that's your choice. But it is not an especially admirable way to live or to treat employees. There's absolutely nothing wrong with working set hours and then devoting the rest of your time to your private life.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement