Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

Work colleagues walking up behind you as you're typing out a reply on a Boards thread.

Try to quickly minimise the browser window, thus confirming your guilt or brazen it out by continuing to type as they talk to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Could be worse, you might be bored, doing nothing and NOT getting paid for it. Oh, I think you should get one of those 'Leave me alone I'm only talking to my cat today' tops for commuting. :D

I would if my cat wasn't missing :(

Vel wrote: »
    Two chuggers for a homeless charity just called to the door.

Guy: 'Hi there we'd like to have a chat with you do you have a minute'
    Me: 'Sorry no I am busy at the moment'
    Guy: 'So are we, working away here'
    Me: staring incredulously 'Right, well as I said I'm busy'
    Guy: 'It won't take long and we aren't asking for any money'
    Me: 'As I said, I am busy minding my kids and eating my lunch'
    Guy: 'Well I have kids too but I leave them at home when I come to work'
    Me: 'Riiiiiigggggghhhhhht'
    Guy: 'So you aren't interested in talking to us?'

What part of 'I am busy' does this guy not understand.

Big smiley passive aggressive head on him but we both knew there was a mutual hatred thing going on!

Jesus.

I'm so bitter and barbed today I actually want someone to come to my door and say shít like that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

When I accidentally get a little sick in my mouth. Urgh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Jesus.

I'm so bitter and barbed today I actually want someone to come to my door and say shít like that.....

When I look back now I am trivally annoyed at the missed opportunity but I was caught on the hop as I thought it was my dad at the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Work colleagues walking up behind you as you're typing out a reply on a Boards thread.

Try to quickly minimise the browser window, thus confirming your guilt or brazen it out by continuing to type as they talk to you?

My solution to this is: set browser to half height, have a work related program full screen behind it, swing the mouse up and click the other program quickly when the threat approaches. :D

Those people, usually middle aged to older women who blatantly eavesdrop on your conversations in public but do so with a big smile on their face almost like they are included in the chat, so that you would seem like the bad guy if you started doing the 'can I help you with something?' face/stare

When you are chatting to someone and they are giving every indication that they are interested and happy to listen but you can just tell they are waiting on a tiny sliver of opportunity to interrupt so they can talk about themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

One of those tiny b*stard flies was hovering around my sandwich as I was making it. Dirty f*ckers, I hate them. I finished off a jar of honey, so I left it open on the counter, hoping the nasty little bug will meet a sticky end. But the thought also makes me feel bad, so I'll have to go back and put the jar in the recycling. I do so hate them, though. I got a really nasty eye infection once after one of them flew right into it - and they're just everywhere!! Meddlesome midges :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    One of those tiny b*stard flies was hovering around my sandwich as I was making it. Dirty f*ckers, I hate them. I finished off a jar of honey, so I left it open on the counter, hoping the nasty little bug will meet a sticky end. But the thought also makes me feel bad, so I'll have to go back and put the jar in the recycling. I do so hate them, though. I got a really nasty eye infection once after one of them flew right into it - and they're just everywhere!! Meddlesome midges :( .

One word - flamethrower! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I would if my cat wasn't missing :(

Still missing, Jeez you must be worried sick.:( Fingers crossed puss will be home safe and soon.:)

Looked out the bedroom window just there to see if I could track the movements of the dog that seems determined to break into our garden and my neighbour two doors up is varnishing his patio furniture topless in a pair of small shorts. He spotted me before I could throw myself to the floor and hide so now he probably thinks I was checking him out. He's mid 60s with dyed hair and a massive paunch. Unfortunately for him 'straight Elton John' isn't a look I go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

When you are chatting to someone and they are giving every indication that they are interested and happy to listen but you can just tell they are waiting on a tiny sliver of opportunity to interrupt so they can talk about themselves

And that fast nodding and "uh-hum"ing they do while kind of looking over you should f**king pi$$e$ me off :mad:

And then they go "right, well......." and it's 30 minutes of them talking at you again... FFS

Irritating things my mother does. Neither of us drives so any time I see her she usually has something she wants me to get for her in Limerick city. I don't mind if there's something I need to get there myself, but it annoys me that she will keep bringing it up until I go and get it for her, which means me taking a round trip bus journey. She's constantly complaining about the crap job the young wan who tints her eyebrows does and I'm always telling her to get it done in Limerick.

Ocassionally I'll suggest we just go in to Limerick and have some lunch do a bit of shopping and get whatever she needs done, but oh no, that would be practical.:rolleyes:

Was chatting with the friend of a friend about kid's birthday parties and she asks me what THEME I had for our daughter's 4th birthday!!

Hmmm I thought, that would be the 'some crisps, sausages rolls and jellies on cardboard plates flung on the table and behave yourself or you'll be walking out of here without a fcuking party bag' theme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Eating cold sweets and your teeth go all sensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

We have our garden fully fenced with 6ft panel fencing. We live on a terrace and most of the other gardens have kept the original low metal fences. Its never been a problem before today. I could hear one of our dogs barking her head off at the very top of the garden and being a greyhound, she very rarely barks.
    Long story short: irresponsible dog owners!

Our last dog was a springer, and when we moved in the the house, the builder had put up the bare minimum fence, i.e about three feet high. So when we had sweet FA in the house, the first thing I had to do was put up a six foot timber fence, which the little git proceeded to climb up like I had just bought him a ladder (very hard to keep a determined springer in) and he would scale along the top, which was about an inch thick, like a high wire act. I eventually had to panel the bottom half of the fence as well.....That was the flooring and curtain money, which made me very popular:D

The way hot off the printer paper smells very much like Southern Comfort with coke.... Hangover wave washes over....

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Our last dog was a springer, and when we moved in the the house, the builder had put up the bare minimum fence, i.e about three feet high. So when we had sweet FA in the house, the first thing I had to do was put up a six foot timber fence, which the little git proceeded to climb up like I had just bought him a ladder (very hard to keep a determined springer in) and he would scale along the top, which was about an inch thick, like a high wire act. I eventually had to panel the bottom half of the fence as well.....That was the flooring and curtain money, which made me very popular:D

Well if this guy needs a home I'll be in touch, because, you know, you're all set up there with your springer proof garden! It was quite a comical sight as our shed has a pitched roof and he was just hanging out up there like he hadn't a care in the world.

Rang the OH and the very first thing he says is 'we are not keeping him' followed by 'did he damage any of the veg garden?'!!!! Although I know we are not a suitable home to keep up with a crazy springer as much as we love them!

• Advertisement

Well if this guy needs a home I'll be in touch, because, you know, you're all set up there with your springer proof garden! It was quite a comical sight as our shed has a pitched roof and he was just hanging out up there like he hadn't a care in the world.

Rang the OH and the very first thing he says is 'we are not keeping him' followed by 'did he damage any of the veg garden?'!!!! Although I know we are not a suitable home to keep up with a crazy springer as much as we love them!

Ha, after our springer died (nearly 17 yrs old) I swore no more dogs, too much heartache.......now we have two dogs (not springers though...way too much exercise required):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Eating cold sweets and your teeth go all sensitive

Just had a Mr. Freeze there myself, 'twas lovely :p

(Young lad had one of those €2 one scoop ice-creams, I'm definitely doing something wrong - me with a Mr. Freeze and him with a pricey connoisseur job, how does that happen? :confused: )

Anyway, TA: The Blood crowd always send me a letter to donate blood in such and such a place, and then on the day I get a text to say I can skip it this time because they already have enough, after I've already made plans to go.

This morning then I got a text from them saying that I have to call a local number and book an appointment to give blood? :confused:

Actually now I think of it, might as well call them now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Just had a Mr. Freeze there myself, 'twas lovely :p

(Young lad had one of those €2 one scoop ice-creams, I'm definitely doing something wrong - me with a Mr. Freeze and him with a pricey connoisseur job, how does that happen? :confused: )

Anyway, TA: The Blood crowd always send me a letter to donate blood in such and such a place, and then on the day I get a text to say I can skip it this time because they already have enough, after I've already made plans to go.

This morning then I got a text from them saying that I have to call a local number and book an appointment to give blood? :confused:

Actually now I think of it, might as well call them now :pac:

why you have to call somewhere? I just go to the place close to my house where they are and donate there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

messrs wrote: »
    why you have to call somewhere? I just go to the place close to my house where they are and donate there

Jaysus I got fierce paranoid there thinking I was after being scammed or something! :D

I just called the IBTS HQ in Dublin and they transferred me to the Limerick branch, was talking to the same lady I was talking to earlier who told me the appointments system is a pilot scheme they're running down in Limerick.

I had a feeling alright I hadn't gotten a letter this time (I never look at my post unless it's a cheque :P), but I asked my wife there and she said nope, no letter, which is why I got a bit worried :pac:

Phew! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Jaysus I got fierce paranoid there thinking I was after being scammed or something! :D

I just called the IBTS HQ in Dublin and they transferred me to the Limerick branch, was talking to the same lady I was talking to earlier who told me the appointments system is a pilot scheme they're running down in Limerick.

I had a feeling alright I hadn't gotten a letter this time (I never look at my post unless it's a cheque :P), but I asked my wife there and she said nope, no letter, which is why I got a bit worried :pac:

Phew! :o

maybe a good idea - quiet often there is so many people there in the Q for donating (good thing I know) that they may be trying this out to reduce wait time

;)
    messrs wrote: »
    maybe a good idea - quiet often there is so many people there in the Q for donating (good thing I know) that they may be trying this out to reduce wait time

The last time I went to donate, I overheard a guy being asked, "and have you eaten inthe last three hours"

"No" says the guy
    "And why not?"
    "Cos I was sitting out there waiting to give blood"
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

On Tuesdays I come home from work collect the kids and I have a half hour to get everyone fed and back out the door again . We were running late the other day and my mother arrived at the door and said "I'm here for a cuppa" I said mam you know the kids have lessons today and we are in a rush. Anyway I let her in for ten minutes and sent her on her way, now according to her I'm the worst daughter in the world. I am also being told that I do too much and seem stressed out. Ofcourse I get ****ing stressed out when I am rushing somewhere and people turn up unannounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

People in the gym who have no concept of personal space or etiquette.

Don't stare at fellow exercisers, don't try to have a 'race-off' with the person on the treadmill next to you, don't stand up their arse at the water cooler, don't try to engage in conversation when someone is very clearly trying to tune the world out and get in the zone.

Seriously, what's wrong with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

beks101 wrote: »
    People in the gym who have no concept of personal space or etiquette.

Don't stare at fellow exercisers, don't try to have a 'race-off' with the person on the treadmill next to you, don't stand up their arse at the water cooler, don't try to engage in conversation when someone is very clearly trying to tune the world out and get in the zone.

Seriously, what's wrong with people?

I'm scared I'm one of those annoying people in the gym....I've only just started going recently and not sure about gym etiquette. I won't know where to look now in between sets in case it's seen as staring at people :o

My TA for today is my squeaky cons...I've worn them loads, they still won't stop squeaking when I walk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

whitewave wrote: »
    I'm scared I'm one of those annoying people in the gym....I've only just started going recently and not sure about gym etiquette. I won't know where to look now in between sets in case it's seen as staring at people :o

It's perfectly simple.

FINE: Casually glancing at people, perhaps smiling if you clock eyes. Not being within touching distance.

NOT FINE: Staring at people, following them across the room with your eyes as they walk around. Desperately trying to see their time/speed/mileage and trying to match it. Maintaining eye contact for more than a few seconds. Glancing repeatedly. Being close enough to touch them.

Flies, specifically bluebottles. The sun has brought loads of the buggers.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

eisenberg1 wrote:
    do you not have a nice cardigan

Yeah yeah lots of teacher cardigans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

TA- Fine evening & Cornetto & tiny bits of chocolate + white shirt = early departure to laundry basket.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You just reminded me of something. I was ill last week but still went and did the weekly shopping with Mr Pumpkinseeds. I was feeling all arsey and impatient and he said I should have relaxed at home and let him do it. Loosely interpreted as 'ffs, I wish you'd stayed home and stopped bitching at me about trivial crap':D Without thinking I told him that if he'd gone alone he'd be constantly ringing me to ask what brand of stuff we buy. So, thoughtless bitchiness is my trivial annoyance, also lack of tact.

My husband once rang me from the middle of Aldi to ask what celery looked like.

paperclip2 wrote: »

Jeez... has he never heard of google images? feck sake.

paperclip2 wrote: »

And did you tell him?

The green stalky stuff in the veg section, with the word "celery" overhead:D

Though to be fair, in Aldi, it could be beside the hammers and flippers.

having a petty row with whoever, then you don't see or hear from them for a few hours/days/weeks so its playing on your mind until you see them next.

That I try at things. That I give things my best shot as much as I can. But that all this ultimately results in is being let down and hurt.

That I try to save things, and work at things, when other people aren't willing or able to do the same in reverse for me, and of course that just ends up feeling like they don't care.

That even when I know something isn't likely to work out, I want to try anyhow, even though I know I just end up getting hurt as a result.

That I try at things. That I give things my best shot as much as I can. But that all this ultimately results in is being let down and hurt.

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try"

H. Simpson.

The word 'excuses' being used inappropriately.

The word 'excuses' being used inappropriately.

Do you mean when people use the word 'excuses' instead of 'reasons'? I hate that. Things have reasons - that's not the same as an excuse.

• Advertisement

Do you mean when people use the word 'excuses' instead of 'reasons'? I hate that. Things have reasons - that's not the same as an excuse.

Yep, I should've been clearer.

I'm sure in many cases 'reasons' and 'excuses' apply equally, but more and more I seem to be seeing the word 'excuses' used where 'reasons' would be more apt.

You may be giving factual reasons behind something, but that doesn't mean you're giving 'excuses' for it, which is surely a different thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Just now (cos Ive encountered it three times before my second cuppa tea!) my TA is " Well I was going to vote Yes in the referendum but all the Yes campaigning is making me vote No"
    Are you twelve!!!!!?

Yep, I should've been clearer.

I'm sure in many cases 'reasons' and 'excuses' apply equally, but more and more I seem to be seeing the word 'excuses' used where 'reasons' would be more apt.

You may be giving factual reasons behind something, but that doesn't mean you're giving 'excuses' for it, which is surely a different thing.

"Sorry I couldn't make it last night, I was hit by an articulated truck and broke both my arms and legs, so I spent the night in hospital getting surgery."

"Excuses."

There is a very old Japanese painting, of a Samurai in battle with his traditional weapons against the (then) new-fangled muskets. In the words of Eric van Lustbader, it portrays the dismayed warrior, the great Katana flung from his grasp by the force of gunpowder. He's not afraid, not horrified, just disappointed, a little sad at the realisation that a way of life is coming to an end.

The point, Grasshopper, is that you should dance to your own fiddle, speak your truth quietly but firmly. If people want to be assholes about it and let you down, it's their own lookout. :cool:

jimgoose wrote: »
    There is a very old Japanese painting, of a Samurai in battle with his traditional weapons against the (then) new-fangled muskets. In the words of Eric van Lustbader, it portrays the dismayed warrior, the great Katana flung from his grasp by the force of gunpowder. He's not afraid, not horrified, just disappointed, a little sad at the realisation that a way of life is coming to an end.

The point, Grasshopper, is that you should dance to your own fiddle, speak your truth quietly but firmly. If people want to be assholes about it and let you down, it's their own lookout. :cool:

You quoted a post of mine, yet didn't, as deleted it out to '.....' which trivial annoyance of mine are you referring to exactly?

You quoted a post of mine, yet didn't, as deleted it out to '.....' which trivial annoyance of mine are you referring to exactly?

I do apologise, it was this one: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95191132&postcount=1938

When people complain about a situation whilst not proactively trying to help the situation.

When making the bed and the bedsheets don't stretch to all four sides of the mattress.

why on 'discussion' forums, so many people have to resort to being a smart cnut, in order to 'discuss'.

NOT a personal dig at anyone here.

When you say something and the other person clearly isn't tailoring their response based on what you actually said.

An example from just there now.

I make a phone call, receptionist answers, and I say 'Hi, I'm whatismyname, and I was wondering if it might be possible to speak to X at some stage'.

Answer dished out immediately is 'I'm afraid they're in a meeting right now so it wouldn't be possible to speak to them at the moment, I'd have to see if they could give you a phone back. Would that be ok?'.

Em, yeah, of course they're going to be a meeting, and of course it's ok since its' basically what I asked for! The nature of their job means that they spend their whole day in meetings. That's why I asked could I speak to them 'at some point'. I didn't ask to speak to them right now. Yes, I'm picky and narky, but that's the way it is, and I don't like you, Miss Receptionist, you've messed up too many times in the past, and you're annoying and you have really bad listening skills.

Oops, I'll shut up now. This is turning into a rant rather than a TA.

• Advertisement

When someone decides to bring in fish for lunch and heats it up in the microwave and the foul, noxious, putrid stench of fish permeates throughout the office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement