Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

People who go on about "manflu".

In any context, genuine, attention seeking, self pity, using it ironically to overstate another's persons ailments etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

People eating/chewing while the ring you, its horrible to hear down the other end of the phone - at least if its friend/family member you can say it to them, but if your in work and its a client on the other end of the phone chewing while the talk you can really say anything ( well I feel like you cant)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

I always ask them if they'd prefer to ring back when they've finished their lunch. They usually get the hint!

JanaMay wrote: »
    I always ask them if they'd prefer to ring back when they've finished their lunch. They usually get the hint!

lots of times its just chewing gum and that annoys me so much :mad: its just horrible to hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

messrs wrote: »
    People eating/chewing while the ring you, its horrible to hear down the other end of the phone - at least if its friend/family member you can say it to them, but if your in work and its a client on the other end of the phone chewing while the talk you can really say anything ( well I feel like you cant)

The one I hate is people calling me when they're driving, I don't care if they're "using hands free" or whatever; if they're someone I know I'll probably have told them already, and in that case I'll just hang up on them (they don't be long remembering why!), and if it's someone new I'll just ask them call me back when they're not driving.

You could apply the same to eater callers - suggest that they call you back when they're done masticating*.

*Thanks ONW :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,185 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The amount of trades people and businesses who don't call back. I thought times were tight!

Why bother advertising to get people to call and then not bother.

We have 3 sets of companies dealing with different things in the house and we end up having to chase them!

Eg. Front door replacement (estiimate about 2k) and had to ring two companies back who were supposed to call us with a quote. The 2nd company had to be emailed again, and their reply was "we've thought about it and we can't help you on this".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Post holiday credit card balance.

I say balance, but my credit card is actually far from balanced. It is lobsided. In the wrong direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

My dogs barking at the builders next door

Glad the neighbours are at work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I know a fella who rings people while he's on the loo.
    He once rang me and TOLD ME he was on the loo and my ears had the unfortunate benefit of HEARING him fart and it echoed down the phone.

This weather.

I know it's all us Irish folk seem to talk about, but I'm someone who was never a fan of summer. (I can't tolerate heat).

But when we had that good week of sun about a month ago, I actually found myself enjoying it.
    I was sitting out the back with a cool drink and my book and it was actually really nice.

So then I got the goo for the sun and now, although the sun is out, it's freezing.
    It pains me to put the heating on but my house is cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

People who turn up their nose at whatever you're eating. Or if you offer someone food and they wrinkle their nose in disgust and say 'oh god no'

People who scratch themselves - any part of themselves - for longer than .5 seconds, especially if you can hear the scratching noise. There is a cleaner in our office who just reached her hands down her leggings and has a good scratch of her ass cheeks while sighing with relief. DO THAT IN THE PRIVACY OF YOUR BATHROOM FOR THE LOVE OF GOD :mad:

People who use the phrase 'rather you than me'. It usually means you're in an unenviable situation and the person listening couldn't give a sh1t and is only thinking about themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

People who say, "there but for the Grace of God go I" when the reason you didn't "go there" has nothing to do with the grace of God and all to do with being sensible and not taking a stupid risk.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    People who say, "there but for the Grace of God go I" when the reason you didn't "go there" has nothing to do with the grace of God and all to do with being sensible and not taking a stupid risk.

And it also sounds like a made-up sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

sabat wrote: »
    Australians saying hostell

Everything they say. Every sentence ends in an inflection, so every sentence sounds like a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Everything they say. Every sentence ends in an inflection, so every sentence sounds like a question.

I agree?:D

Amanda Holden, very annoying.....still though;)

People who cannot park a car straight in a car park:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

When you're putting butter on the bread, and the bread tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The atrocious Euro to Sterling rate. :eek: Also,I was planning on going to the doctor this morning but got an email saying a parcel is being delivered here between 11.30 and 12.30 so I won't have time to go to the doctor this morning and I'll have to go this afternoon.

fussyonion wrote: »
    And it also sounds like a made-up sentence.

Yes. Very "I want to say something meaningful but I lack the intellectual capacity to think up my own sentence so I will say this". Also, it makes a tragedy all about them. There but for the grace of God go I - listen mate, this is not about you! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I agree?:D

Amanda Holden, very annoying.....still though;)

People who cannot park a car straight in a car park:mad:

Maybe if you duct taped her mouth and put a bag over her head, it'd have to be a plastic bag though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Old sweets / biscuits / food just not tasting as good as you last remember them tasting :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Gwynplaine wrote: »

So true, that wrecks my head?

sorry if this had been said already

but why do ppl put empty milk cartons back in the fridge?!! like seriously, put it in the bin :mad::mad:

but why do ppl put empty milk cartons back in the fridge?!! like seriously, put it in the recycling bin :mad::mad:

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

but why do ppl put empty milk cartons back in the fridge?!! like seriously, put it in the bin :mad::mad:

There are worse crimes your Honour:

Exhibit 1 - accused washed butter dish, but did not place butter in the dish, thus leaving the defendant with hard butter in the fridge.

Exhibit 2 - Leaving empty toothpaste tube in bathroom.

Exhibit 3 - Leaving empty toilet roll and not replacing it.

Exhibit 4 - toast crumbs found in the butter from Exhibit 1.

Exhibit 5 - not folding down cereal bag / closing box properly, thus leaving cereal to go stale quicker.

I rest my case...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

I went to a show the other night and the woman who was sitting next to me kept talking at me and making comments, I never met this woman before and I hope I never meet her again.. I was fit to kill her, she ruined my night.

whiskeyman wrote: »

Exhibit 1 - accused washed butter dish, but did not place butter in the dish, thus leaving the defendant with hard butter in the fridge.

Exhibit 5 - not folding down cereal bag / closing box properly, thus leaving cereal to go stale quicker.

I rest my case...

All very good points - maybe my TA isn't as annoying afterall :cool: crumbs in butter is v annoying as is leaving the empty toilet roll and not replacing :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When you're putting butter on the bread, and the bread tears

I do love the warm summer days when this doesn't happen, or the rare occasions in the depths of winter when/if the heating is on full time, and the butter is manageable.

everlast75 wrote: »

Plastic or paper?

whiskeyman wrote: »

I rest my case...

Do you mean plaintiff? Accused and defendant are one and the same.

• Advertisement

All very good points - maybe my TA isn't as annoying afterall :cool: crumbs in butter is v annoying as is leaving the empty toilet roll and not replacing :mad:

Also bits of old food in mayonnaise. TA, disgusting AND dangerous!

Zanablue wrote: »
    I went to a show the other night and the woman who was sitting next to me kept talking at me and making comments, I never met this woman before and I hope I never meet her again.. I was fit to kill her, she ruined my night.

I read this as "I went to shower the other night" lol. My mouth was gaping in disbelief by the end of the post :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

TAed that Curly Wurlys are just not the same as they used to be when I was a kid.

On the other hand, delighted to discover Furstenberg beer in Lidl but TAed that it was too early to buy it. Probably will be TAed to discover that it is nothing like it was 25 years ago.

Plastic or paper?

Either - my main ta was going to fridge to get the milk to make tea and the carton been empty

paper in the recycling bin and plastic in the normal bin :)

Plastic or paper?
    Either - my main ta was going to fridge to get the milk to make tea and the carton been empty

paper in the recycling bin and plastic in the normal bin :)

Both...

". Keep all recyclables clean. Remember to wash and squash before popping them into
    your recycle bin
    • Wash away any food or liquid residue in glass jars, plastic bottles, food cans,
    beverage bottles and glass bottles
    • If it squashes – squash it! Materials such as plastic milk bottles, detergent bottles,
    shampoo bottles, tetra pak cartons and aluminium cans can all be squashed. This
    helps you get more into your recycle bin and helps the contractors to recycle more
    • Then pop it into your recycle bin for collection at your house or to be brought to
    your nearest recycling facility
    "

Both...

". Keep all recyclables clean. Remember to wash and squash before popping them into
    your recycle bin
    • Wash away any food or liquid residue in glass jars, plastic bottles, food cans,
    beverage bottles and glass bottles
    • If it squashes – squash it! Materials such as plastic milk bottles, detergent bottles,
    shampoo bottles, tetra pak cartons and aluminium cans can all be squashed. This
    helps you get more into your recycle bin and helps the contractors to recycle more
    • Then pop it into your recycle bin for collection at your house or to be brought to
    your nearest recycling facility
    "

I believe some studies have shown that it may be more harmful to recycle plastic. Something to do with the process and the energy demands. Not sure.

• Advertisement

I believe some studies have shown that it may be more harmful to recycle plastic. Something to do with the process and the energy demands. Not sure.

I never really thought about that, but I suppose it probably costs more to recycle plastic - collecting, washing, sorting etc taen it does to manufacture it. But (hopefully) recycling stops it ending up in rivers and oceans - I saw some horrible pictures earlier of seals with plastic (the things which keep six cans together) wrapped round their necks slowly choking them....

I try to do my bit when it comes to recycling and I try walk or cycle when I can ( I still use my car way too much) but you get a bit disheartened when you visit the USA and you see people going to collect the kids from school in a car with a five litre petrol engine.:mad:

I never really thought about that, but I suppose it probably costs more to recycle plastic - collecting, washing, sorting etc taen it does to manufacture it. But (hopefully) recycling stops it ending up in rivers and oceans - I saw some horrible pictures earlier of seals with plastic (the things which keep six cans together) wrapped round their necks slowly choking them....

I try to do my bit when it comes to recycling and I try walk or cycle when I can ( I still use my car way too much) but you get a bit disheartened when you visit the USA and you see people going to collect the kids from school in a car with a five litre petrol engine.:mad:

That's terrible :( I started cutting those things a few years back. Now I have the family and OH doing it too lol

That's terrible :( I started cutting those things a few years back. Now I have the family and OH doing it too lol

Same here, been doing for years, and my kids do it without thinking.

Now if only I could bring myself to use public transport - but having read what is on this thread, that would too much to ask:D

Use the LUAS and save the world, lemme think about it....:)

Same here, been doing for years, and my kids do it without thinking.

Now if only I could bring myself to use public transport - but having read what is on this thread, that would too much to ask:D

Use the LUAS and save the world, lemme think about it....:)

You could always take a bus.... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I may be incorrect on this one, and hope I am as I'm more than a bit obsessed with recycling. Recently I saw our Tesco's bottle banks being emptied into a truck. From what I could see, all the bottles were going into the same place. So what is the point in having green/brown / clear bottle banks ?? It gave me a little rage in my heart :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

People walking stupidly slowly on busy streets (and I mean people who are NOT elderly, disabled etc.).

Two people walking side by side towards you on a narrow footpath with only enough width for two, and neither bothering to move ahead or behind of the other.

People cycling on footpaths or pedestrian streets.

Drinks (water, soft drinks, juice) in Spar / Centra / Londis-type shops that aren't properly chilled and aren't far off room temperature.

Deli counter staff who cut your roll with a knife that has a load of mayonnaise or something else nasty left on it from the order before you.

People who use bags to occupy seats on trains / buses - if caught they should be made pay for a ticket for each seat they occupy!

Eating with one's mouth open. This should be a criminal offence with a hefty minimum sentence.

Any sort of ass-hattery on the Luas. On the green line this might consist of unnecessarily blocking a doorway when there is plenty of space elsewhere, or blocking a handrail from use by others by leaning the whole body against it. On the red line it may include things such threatening to set one's fellow passengers on fire or threatening to infect one's fellow passengers with HIV using a syringe.

People who get to an ATM, then decide to plonk their handbag up on to the machine and root around for the bank card, then make numerous different attempts to withdraw cash. ATMs should be equipped with electric shocking devices that would be deployed against any one person hogging thte machine.

Waiting staff who take the order from everyone at the table without writing anything down. Then either the wrong stuff comes out, stuff is missing etc. I can never understand this.

I always cut them up so there no full circle in them if you know what I mean - so if the do get dumped somewhere (not by me) they wont choke any animals

I call it the Burns omni-net

dub_skav wrote: »
    I call it the Burns omni-net

Is that the actual name for it, or just what you call it?

73Cat wrote: »
    I may be incorrect on this one, and hope I am as I'm more than a bit obsessed with recycling. Recently I saw our Tesco's bottle banks being emptied into a truck. From what I could see, all the bottles were going into the same place. So what is the point in having green/brown / clear bottle banks ?? It gave me a little rage in my heart :(

I think (always dangerous when I start a sentence like that) the idea behind it is to get people to be conscious or conscientious about what they're doing - separating out waste and ingraining the whole idea of recycling in their heads. I know the processing plants have all sorts of machines with sensors and lasers to differentiate between all the glass of the various colours and deposit it in the proper crushing and cleaning machines.

I actually happened upon the whole recycling thing about 20 years back when I was staying with a friend who alternated between six months in the States and six months in Ireland. I spotted the three bins and couldn't figure out for the life of me why? (I was looking at them a bit like the three shells in Demolition Man).

That's when I was introduced to the whole concept, bizarre at first, but once you get into it, it becomes second nature :)

Anyway, actual TA I came here to post -

When you flush the toilet and it fills up. I know it wasn't me, and there's no plunger, and I can't leave it like that for the next person...

Bollocks! :(

I'd love one of those toilets they have on trains that work by suction! No blockage problems then :D

Is that the actual name for it, or just what you call it?

Not a Simpsons fan I see.
    When Lisa shows Mr Burns how dangerous those plastic rings can be it gives him an idea - he recycles them by sticking them together to make a large net which trawls the ocean clean

dub_skav wrote: »
    Not a Simpsons fan I see.
    When Lisa shows Mr Burns how dangerous those plastic rings can be it gives him an idea - he recycles them by sticking them together to make a large net which trawls the ocean clean

Ah, I see now:)

I must have missed that one, I am actually a big fan of The Simpsons.

I think (always dangerous when I start a sentence like that) the idea behind it is to get people to be conscious or conscientious about what they're doing - separating out waste and ingraining the whole idea of recycling in their heads. I know the processing plants have all sorts of machines with sensors and lasers to differentiate between all the glass of the various colours and deposit it in the proper crushing and cleaning machines.

I actually happened upon the whole recycling thing about 20 years back when I was staying with a friend who alternated between six months in the States and six months in Ireland. I spotted the three bins and couldn't figure out for the life of me why? (I was looking at them a bit like the three shells in Demolition Man).

That's when I was introduced to the whole concept, bizarre at first, but once you get into it, it becomes second nature :)

Anyway, actual TA I came here to post -

When you flush the toilet and it fills up. I know it wasn't me, and there's no plunger, and I can't leave it like that for the next person...

Bollocks! :(

I'd love one of those toilets they have on trains that work by suction! No blockage problems then :D

Those things? :( Last time I was on a train the toilet actually spoke to me :( That normally only happens after a heavy session. Then there's the inevitable wetting of one's feet with other people's waste as the train goes around a bend and the toilet spills over :(

Those things? :(Last time I was on a train the toilet actually spoke to me :( That normally only happens after a heavy session. Then there's the inevitable wetting of one's feet with other people's waste as the train goes around a bend and the toilet spills over :(

Reminds me of those pulse taking weight machines you see in shopping centres. I think I like to torment myself because I cab never resist wasting the €2 trying them out and half expecting it to say "One at a time please" :pac:

Don't get me started on the self-service check-outs and ATM's - I always imagine they're going to say something like "Don't you think you have enough sugar in your diet? Leave back the biscuits!", "Are you sure you want to take out more money? Maybe you should go home and sleep it off"...

There's a reason I wear earphones practically 24/7, and it ain't just to drown out the noise from outside my head :pac:

The following phenomenon baffles and annoys me in equal measures.

After + verb in present tense instead of simple past tense.

So, instead of "I forgot", we have, "I'm after forgetting"

I walked
    > I'm after walking

I bought
    > I'm after buying

etc.

After? After what? After denotes something coming behind something else in time. What the actual fúck is the point of this exercise?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement