Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    The following phenomenon baffles and annoys me in equal measures.

After + verb in present tense instead of simple past tense.

So, instead of "I forgot", we have, "I'm after forgetting"

I walked
    > I'm after walking

I bought
    > I'm after buying

etc.

After? After what? After denotes something coming behind something else in time. What the actual fúck is the point of this exercise?

Like many things in Hiberno-English, it's a borrowing, or direct translation from Irish. Don't be hating our shared heritage, sure amn't I after explaining it to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

ONW - have a read of Hiberno-English in Wikipedia particularly the bit about 'Recent Past Constuction'

edit:beaten to it !

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

people making cringeworthy ''50 shades'' jokes and references at the mere mention of anything remotely sexual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

People who pay for a round of drinks with a card at the bar. There should be a separate till for card only transactions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Like many things in Hiberno-English, it's a borrowing, or direct translation from Irish. Don't be hating our shared heritage, sure amn't I after explaining it to you?
    ONW - have a read of Hiberno-English in Wikipedia particularly the bit about 'Recent Past Constuction'

edit:beaten to it !

TA: mongrel language :P

I'm after getting more trivially annoyed now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Women who's bootae were never made for tight leggings! It's almost like her bum cheeks had an independent mind of their own, doing that concentric circular motion... :eek:

So bizarre, yet so distracting I'd to cross the street to get out from behind her! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

10 minutes after I hung the washing out there's been a torrential downpour, now the washing is wetter than when it went out. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    The following phenomenon baffles and annoys me in equal measures.

After + verb in present tense instead of simple past tense.

So, instead of "I forgot", we have, "I'm after forgetting"

I walked
    > I'm after walking

I bought
    > I'm after buying

etc.

After? After what? After denotes something coming behind something else in time. What the actual fúck is the point of this exercise?

Like many things in Hiberno-English, it's a borrowing, or from Irish. Don't be hating our shared heritage, sure amn't I after explaining it to you?

Don't be too hard on him - he's old, not wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

People who let their dogs out at midnight and leave them out til 1.30am barking and barking and barking and barking and....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Cows with half a tail.

How is it allowed?

DareGod wrote: »
    Don't be too hard on him - he's old, not wise.

Pretty sure you just gave her another trivial thing to be annoyed about. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Pretty sure you just gave her another trivial thing to be annoyed about. :D

Ha! Oops.

I love Fig Rolls but McVities Fig Rolls are horrible! Bought them tonight thinking they were Jacobs, i.e. the original, got home and tried them - puke! They taste like tangy fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Stuff being described as a 'life hack'.

Stuff being described as a 'hub'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

People who let their dogs out at midnight and leave them out til 1.30am barking and barking and barking and barking and....

Or people (like my neighbours) who leave their dog out all the time and never take it in and its always barking - all the frikin time :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

messrs wrote: »
    Or people (like my neighbours) who leave their dog out all the time and never take it in and its always barking - all the frikin time :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Report them to the DSPCA it should not be treated that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'm completely obsessed with adverts! Bought loads on it lately, then last night I advertised something and it was sold within 5 minutes.

I can't stop looking for bargains :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

God motherf*cking dammit. I post this here all the time, I should learn my lesson, but f*cking drinking cold coffee.
    Time to get a thermal mug or a hotplate to keep my mug warm.

Also, went camping at the weekend. Pack up all the stuff, fit the tent back into the carrier. Lovely. But then when you get home you have to unpack the fecker and hang it up for a while to air it, then repack it again and try to contort it back into the carrier bag thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    God motherf*cking dammit. I post this here all the time, I should learn my lesson, but f*cking drinking cold coffee.
    Time to get a thermal mug or a hotplate to keep my mug warm.

I know!! You make a coffee, sit at the computer and start reading through emails/responding etc... then you go to take a sip, thinking you only made it 5 minutes ago, and it's colder than the hearts of all your ex's put together!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I'm completely obsessed with adverts! Bought loads on it lately, then last night I advertised something and it was sold within 5 minutes.

I can't stop looking for bargains :o

So you are not trivially annoyed then?:D

I've got an abcess under my arm that my underwired bra keeps poking, trivial annoyance bit is that the only comfy bras that I have are non-wired ones that I only wear around the house but don't wear when I go out as it makes me look like I have a uni-boob.:(

• Advertisement

I've got an abcess under my arm that my underwired bra keeps poking, trivial annoyance bit is that the only comfy bras that I have are non-wired ones that I only wear around the house but don't wear when I go out as it makes me look like I have a uni-boob.:(

I really shouldn't laugh but... :o

"One way, yes, straight to hell please" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Little reminders of stuff from the past that you'd rather forget and move on from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Aldi's Advert with yer one bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye ah yeah bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye see ya soon bye bye bye bye bye bye bye and on and on and ႒ucking ON

I know people can end a call with a few quick bye bye bye's but this is fúcking cringe-worthy head wrecking and stupid

Even her fake family are squirming in their seats I want to smash my telly every time it is on

Arrrrragh

That f*cking Nescafe ad that has a load of women sitting around at home with nothing to do at 2:47 in the afternoon. Are they broadcasting it back in time or something?

Not one dude in the ad, not one woman at work. Just a load of women in their thirties with nothing but time on their hands. It seems to me that they're targeting a market that hasn't existed in about 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

To be honest, today everything and everybody is annoying me!

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    So you are not trivially annoyed then?:D

I'm trivially annoyed that I can't control myself!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

f**k it.

go to Tesco, use the self-service tills. It all comes to 8.13.

Put in two 5-cent coins first, then three 1-cent coins, then 10 euro note.

Expect just a 2 euro coin back, and feel happy about getting rid of some coppers.

Get back 1 euro coin, and 99 cents in crap coins, plus the original, and somehow faulty, 1 cent coin that was rejected.

F**K IT!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Street posters saying the gay marriage referendum is about equality. Let's see how easy two married men will be able to adopt a baby.

That retro Ryanair ad, for so many reasons. From 19.99, b o l l o x, by the time you've actually finished you're booking you're looking at 3 times that. 2 bags allowed in cabin, yeah that wasn't the case until recently.:mad: Also the A-Ha song makes me feel old, since I remember when it came out.:( I'm gonna stop my Ryanair rant at that as that's a whole other thread in it's own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Brian O Donnell and his big posh accent whinging on the news just there now.

• Advertisement

Brian O Donnell and his big posh accent whinging on the news just there now.

At which point I was shouting at the TV "BUT YOU OWE THEM €71 MILLION, PAY YOUR DEBTS AND MAYBE YOU'D OF KEPT YOUR FANCY HOUSE!!"

At which point I was shouting at the TV "BUT YOU OWE THEM €71 MILLION, PAY YOUR DEBTS AND MAYBE YOU'D OF KEPT YOUR FANCY HOUSE!!"

Yeah, fancy that, they lend you a shed load of money, and then they have the cheek to want you to pay it back.

Sky. The monthly payment was due today and was paid today and despite that there's a message after popping up on my tv screen telling me we're about to loose our channels if we don't pay our bill. What the actual fcuk:confused::mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm connected remotely to a customers PC. The fecker doesn't realise that the audio from his machine comes to mine.

I'm listening the Battle Hymn of The Republic at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So its now suddenly pronounced "Ne Pal" and not "Ne Paul".

All my life I have never heard it pronounced 'Ne Pal'. Never. But every single news reader on RTE is calling it Pal. Do they get told to call it that. Was there a meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Teenage discos that you have to supervise... yawn!

NIMAN wrote: »

All my life I have never heard it pronounced 'Ne Pal'. Never. But every single news reader on RTE is calling it Pal. Do they get told to call it that. Was there a meeting?

Jaysus, just heard Eileen Dunne there now, and it really does sound wrong! 'Ne-pal-ese' she said, rather than 'Ne-paul-ese"... reminds me of that whole 'onvelope', or 'an otel' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Not forgetting Holloween!

I thought I got lucky today, the phone wasn't hopping, until I went to make a call there myself, and I realised the bloody network was down! It must have been down all day and I never realised... :(

Three, used be great value, now I'd be better off carrying around a pair of tin cans on a string :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

I've always said Ne Pal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

JanaMay wrote: »
    Ah there's nothing like a line of freshly-washed and air-dried clothes! Have a dryer but haven't used it in years. It also helps that I live in a country with hot weather so don't have to keep an eye out for rain!

"Watch out for rain..."

"THE CLOUDS ARE 20 FEET FROM THE EARTH AND THE WIND HAS BLOWN YOUR YOUNGEST CHILD THREE GARDENS AWAY IT'S GOING TO FECKING RAIN IN THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES."

"A quick blast will do them wonders..."

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I've always said Ne Pal!

I've always said it like it's said in In The Name Of The Father,

Try a little bit of Ne-Pall

followed swiftly by the line "teak ya to da Himilayas"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Running out of toothpaste.
    I squeezed/rolled the tube as much as possible and managed to get a TINY bit out, at the risk of breaking two fingers.
    But it wasn't enough so my teeth didn't feel very minty/clean.

People reading the news out loud to me in the morning! :mad:

I want to tell her to SHUT, UP and let me get on with my work... but instead all I'm able to say is "Oh yeah, yeah, right...", in the hope that she'll take the hint :pac:

Never does :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Being associated with the county I live in and I'm not even Irish (I'm from Scotland).

I live in Waterford, and my girlfriend lives with her family in Kilkenny. I go up every weekend... then during the summer, it's a Sunday, the hurling is on (I know not a curdy of the sport, I'm a football fan). Girlfriend is up watching it, I'll go up for the company. I don't care for the sport. But everytime Waterford get beat (which I hear they do, a lot) all eyes are on me, and the fingers are pointed.

Yeah ha, ha, ha, I get your joke, I live in Tramore, that means I adore the Waterford GAA team by default. But when it's brought up EVERY TIME. 90% of the time I'm unaware any GAA matches have been played (what can I say, I prefer Super Sunday). But I'll get an unexpected encounter from one of her friends/family and it's "unlucky Dave".... How am I unlucky? .... "Waterford are out, now" (or beat, I don't know).

This is just as bad from the home side as well. My girlfriend gave me a wrist band (I like wristbands, I have a few) and this one is black and amber, has a Kilkenny logo on it. Mammy's new fiancé (he's from Waterford) clocks the band on my wrist. "Take that band off, now. Not wearing them colours here" I understand he's messing but cut me some slack I don't care for all this colour-coded County crap and I do not enjoy the GAA. I've tried watching it but I just can't get into it.

Then there's this other bollox of people here debating to me that Hurling is better than Football/Soccer, and trying to explain to me why.

"Do you like hurling, Dave?"
    "Nah I prefer football. Grew up with it"

"Oh, oh, oh, but Hurling is the fastest field sport in the world.." "I don't care.."

I was playing FIFA once, had a two-man audience from a couple of GAA-watchers looking at me goin "Football is crap, how can you play that muck?"

Well f*ck me, sorry for insulting you.

I get that it's all for fun and games but when it's turning into a running gag in my life since 2004, it tends to get repetitive and irritating... That, and "sure you're foreign" . yaaaay I'm Scottish, that means I'm... oh go on, just take your joke. Have fun with it. Ugh... I'm a grumpy auld Jock

• Advertisement

People reading the news out loud to me in the morning! :mad:

I want to tell her to SHUT, UP and let me get on with my work... but instead all I'm able to say is "Oh yeah, yeah, right...", in the hope that she'll take the hint :pac:

Never does :(

I dont think you would like to be in a car with my mother inlaw.

"oh look, a shop"
    "There is a man walking his dog"
    "Is that Mrs Flynn?"
    "Is this the way we normally go?"
    "There's the post office"
    "Oh, they have a Florist over here"
    "I would say it's going to rain"
    "I would say it's going to stop raining"
    "You get a lovely cup if tea in there"

On and fcuking on, non stop:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Tomorrow bus strike. Playing havoc with my social life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Irish supermarkets being so slow to get new products in-store.
    I saw an ad about two months ago for this new Cadbury Puddles bar.
    I've been looking every week in a few shops for it and nobody has even HEARD of it, let alone stock it.
    I reckon we'll have it around Christmas time.
    If I went to the UK, I bet they'd have it.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Irish supermarkets being so slow to get new products in-store.
    I saw an ad about two months ago for this new Cadbury Puddles bar.
    I've been looking every week in a few shops for it and nobody has even HEARD of it, let alone stock it.
    I reckon we'll have it around Christmas time.
    If I went to the UK, I bet they'd have it.

I saw that bar in Tesco actually! :eek:

The only reason I remember is because I was looking for the Marvellous Creations one :D

Oh, my phone's back working. Right now I just got a call from 0000353... number (it's one of those scam calling companies using Skype's geolocation options to make it look like they're calling from Ireland).

Heey, they had me on hold and then they just hung up! That's not nice! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Tomorrow bus strike. Playing havoc with my social life.

What

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement