Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

beks101 wrote: »
    Newly weds who start to obsessively, relentlessly, repeatedly...

What gets my goat is the sudden appearance of some sort of "Hivemind", like the Borg Collective gone wrong, shortly after the nuptials. E.g. we're going hither/yon, we've got a new toaster, we're pregnant, etc. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Worst possible result in the election yesterday :mad:

I know. Cameron is the bulb off that Wayne Molloy eejit in Fair City. Another however-long-it-is of looking at the cunnox on't telly! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The overtly positive and cheery attitude of mortgage and insurance ads!! I have yet to meet any REAL people to get excited and cheery over EITHER of these .. on the contrary, they cause people unending amounts of non stop hassle and stress!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Oh and also -

The amount of "political experts" knocking around today, who didn't give a damn yesterday and probably didn't vote either.

The hand-wringing all over twitter/facebook today is nauseating.

Are the results shit? Yes. Do you really give that much of a shit? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

LynnGrace wrote: »
    My other favourite is someone asking me for directions, or the right time, or whatever, then turning on their heel, without a word.
    Or looking at me blankly since (clearly), I am not giving them the answer they want to hear...

The only possible option in this case is a very loud and passive aggressive 'YOU'RE WELCOME'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Newly weds who start to obsessively, relentlessly, repeatedly throw their 'husband', 'hubby', 'hub' into every single sentence in the aftermath of the wedding. Because it's a big fat novelty.

Yes I know, isn't it lovely and charming that you're all married and loved up now and all, but seriously, you're not the only person ever to have gotten married and acquired a husband. SHUT UP.

Although I find the 'my finance' crowd even more earth shatteringly smug and annoying!

I used to know a wan who was forever talking about her boyfriend. Remember hearing all of the details about a trip to Paris they were taking. The weekend after the trip she returned to work engaged and already substituting finance for boyfriend! I imagined her practicing it in the mirror to herself over the weekend to make sure she didn't slip up and revert back to boring old boyfriend by mistake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Vel wrote: »
    Although I find the 'my finance' crowd even more earth shatteringly smug and annoying!

I used to know a wan who was forever talking about her boyfriend. Remember hearing all of the details about a trip to Paris they were taking. The weekend after the trip she returned to work engaged and already substituting finance for boyfriend! I imagined her practicing it in the mirror to herself over the weekend to make sure she didn't slip up and revert back to boring old boyfriend by mistake!

Is that them talking about the cost of the wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Newly weds who start to obsessively, relentlessly, repeatedly throw their 'husband', 'hubby', 'hub' into every single sentence in the aftermath of the wedding. Because it's a big fat novelty.

Yes I know, isn't it lovely and charming that you're all married and loved up now and all, but seriously, you're not the only person ever to have gotten married and acquired a husband. SHUT UP.

You could give her the old "You know Jane in accounts, married a lovely guy six months ago, turns out he is a complete bollox, wont lift a finger around the house and if is not watching football he is down in the pub drinking the wedding present money.....and you know it was all lovely at the start":D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I can't eat a bag of Wheelies in peace anymore :( my cat is addicted to them. I just put one in my mouth and she scratched me hard trying to get it for herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

KatW4 wrote:
    I can't eat a bag of Wheelies in peace anymore my cat is addicted to them. I just put one in my mouth and she scratched me hard trying to get it for herself.

I'd say that must've hurt but I'm sorry to admit I laughed out loud at that!

• Advertisement

Crumpets wrote:
    I'd say that must've hurt but I'm sorry to admit I laughed out loud at that!

Haha I would have laughed too if it happened to someone else. Unfortunately I'm used to it... I have scratches every where :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

My trivial annoyance for the day are those people on Boards.ie who have nothing better to do than troll other people's posts...

There is way too many of them knocking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

My trivial annoyance for the day are those people on Boards.ie who have nothing better to do than troll other people's posts...

There is way too many of them knocking around.

No there's not what are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

MrVestek wrote: »
    No there's not what are you on about?

Believe me, there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Believe me, there is.

There really isn't, I think you're making it all up! Away with you! Spreading lies and slander...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Arwyn Foley of AA Roadwatch reading out the reports on the radio.

I play a new game now, see if I can actually listen to a report of her's where she doesn't stutter and stumble over most of it. Does she ever read the pieces in advance and practice it?

Also, these reports are turning into weather reports as well. Meant to be traffic reports! Last few weeks they start off by telling you 'its raining in XXX' or 'very wet around YYYYYY'. I'm sure anyone who lives in XXX or YYY can see its raining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,228 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

NIMAN wrote: »
    Arwyn Foley of AA Roadwatch reading out the reports on the radio.

I play a new game now, see if I can actually listen to a report of her's where she doesn't stutter and stumble over most of it. Does she ever read the pieces in advance and practice it?

Also, these reports are turning into weather reports as well. Meant to be traffic reports! Last few weeks they start off by telling you 'its raining in XXX' or 'very wet around YYYYYY'. I'm sure anyone who lives in XXX or YYY can see its raining.

How do you actually pronounce that without it sounding like "Are we in Fully"? :eek:

One day I'll grow up, just not today :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

items in shops with no price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

items in shops with no price tag.

Hate that! Or items that are on a 'special deals' shelf, like 3 for 2, and then you go to pay and one of them wasn't actually included in the deal. Why are they on that shelf then if they're not included in that fcukin deal?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Do we live in Ireland or the feckin Amazonian rain forest?
    Its raining cats and dogs out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Grown women wearing flowers in their hair. I don't know what it's about, but unless you're a bridesmaid or a child under 12 it looks ridiculous.

Grown women wearing flowers in their hair. I don't know what it's about, but unless you're a bridesmaid or a child under 12 it looks ridiculous.

Or stoned. Its ok to wear flowers in your hair if you are stoned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

That would be the climate change, it's never rained in May before until all these CO2 emissions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

This "shaming" lark.

Slut shaming, body shaming, fat shaming, pale shaming??victim blaming, I've never come across these terms until about a year ago, always plastered over some social justice article. I understand the need for said articles but its just annoying to see the shaming tag ad nauseum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Or stoned. Its ok to wear flowers in your hair if you are stoned.

Don't forget the festivals and concerts!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

People who say/write continuous when they usually mean continual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Robsweezie wrote: »
    This "shaming" lark.

Slut shaming, body shaming, fat shaming, pale shaming??victim blaming, I've never come across these terms until about a year ago, always plastered over some social justice article. I understand the need for said articles but its just annoying to see the shaming tag ad nauseum.

Shaming the shamers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Husband taking a dump in en suite and not opening window.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NoAlarms

I really like this thread, I read it a lot (I'm don't post a lot in general) and it's got into my head!

In the last while when something annoys me, rather than use my explosion of expletives I find myself saying "that's trivially annoying" and that trivially annoys me!

I'm probably calmer for it so that's good!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Irish people using English slang, barnet for hair and sarnies for sandwiches etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah and what about all the muppets - the perfectly DRY muppets - who stand just in side the doors of offices or shopping centres, waiting for the rain to stop, completely blocking access to the building, for all the poor sodden, WET people who are trying to get INSIDE from the rain that is on the OUTSIDE. Fcuking idiots !!! :mad:

Just back from the Darkness Into Light walk and I can't sleep :( Later on, I won't be able to keep my eyes open!

KatW4 wrote: »
    Just back from the Darkness Into Light walk and I can't sleep :( Later on, I won't be able to keep my eyes open!

Fair play for doing it. I've arthritis, otherwise I would definitely haven taken part.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Irish people using English slang, barnet for hair and sarnies for sandwiches etc.

Take that frown off your boat race and get a jo maxi out the gaff. Quit moanin' you bugger and have a toad in the hole down da boozer, half a lager and a packet of crisps and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

My trivial annoyance is reading English in Danny dyers voice.

Also there's a 'soccer' forum, but also a 'boards football' forum and a 'football betting' forum. Discontinuity gets on my tits

Waking up after a night out and having a few memory blanks. Need to piece things together now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

F*cking catch-22s! Someone has signed up to a shopping website using my email address. I contacted the site to see if the person left other details with them as I might know who it was (the same loser who set up a Facebook account using my birthday and a really old photo of me under a false name and then tried to add me as a friend), but I can't prove it because the site can't give me the information as it would be a breach of their data protection rules. Looks like I'll just have to delete my email.

KatW4 wrote: »

Same here, eyes falling out of my head.

Great cause, but my TA is the people who have to run it, rather than walk. It's only a couple of km, walk it with a friend, enjoy it. You can run any other time. I think one of the reasons it is so successful is because it is a short walk...not a 15k run.

These are the same people who show up at every single charity fun run etc, stretching, in the new "gear" and timing themselves, you would think it was a marathon.

Other TA, chirpy people who want to talk to you at 4.30am!! wtf is that about:D

I'll probably be slaughtered for this, but here goes. Registration fees for charity walk/runs. I don't have an issue with it for anyone who is competing for a prize, but most people do it for fun. We had the Darkeness into Light one locally for the first time today, it's a 10 minute stroll from our house and I thought we might do it, until I found out that it would cost us 50 quid to do, not a fecking chance.

I firmly believe in supporting depression and charities that benefit the community, but I don't like the merchandising side of things. How much money is spent on t-shirts and other merchandising?, as well as admin costs and how much of the money is actually spent helping people? Not just Pieta house, but all of these run/walk things that give people t-shirts and medals just for taking part?

eisenberg1 wrote:
    Same here, eyes falling out of my head.

Well done! I know what you mean about people running it. They make a big deal of it too which drives me nuts. I'm more impressed with older people and children who got up at that time to walk.

• Advertisement

I'll probably be slaughtered for this, but here goes. Registration fees for charity walk/runs. I don't have an issue with it for anyone who is competing for a prize, but most people do it for fun. We had the Darkeness into Light one locally for the first time today, it's a 10 minute stroll from our house and I thought we might do it, until I found out that it would cost us 50 quid to do, not a fecking chance.

I agree, the cost is crazy. Let people do it and they can donate whatever they can afford. I'm sure plenty more people would have taken part then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Visiting my mother and she is playing CDs very loudly. We have had The Drifters, now it's John Fookin Denver. Is it not bad enough my childhood was blighted by this and Abba and Crystal Poxy Gale etc.? Next time she visits me I'm going to blast out Guns n Roses/ Def Leppard, ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Inconsistent ham.

I am notoriously fussy (as is my name) about ham and I've tried so many different types/brands over the years.

I finally settled on Denny Crumbed ham because it was what I'd describe as dry and even-looking with no horrible fat bits running through each slice.

I hated when they changed their pack design which meant I had to try and judge if the ham in the pack was the way I liked it.

So then I discovered Aldi's Specially Selected Limerick Crumbed Ham and I really liked it.
    There was joy in our household as the fussy one (me) could safely say she'd found a ham she liked, apart from Denny.

Then I bought the Aldi ham again and it was thickly sliced with fat running through it.
    So I went back to Denny.

And so I've just made a ham sandwich and after taking a bite, I instantly spit it out because I was chewing on...yes, you've guessed it, a globule of fat/jelly. (JELLY,FFS, IT'S HAM, NOT CORNED BEEF).

So now I have to rethink my ham strategy.
    I will probably just not eat it anymore.

And before you say it, I don't like the "real" ham; you know the stuff you have for your dinner.
    Sigh.
    First world problems at their finest.

Back to cheese, I think.
    You know where you are with cheese.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Inconsistent ham.

I am notoriously fussy (as is my name) about ham and I've tried so many different types/brands over the years.

I finally settled on Denny Crumbed ham because it was what I'd describe as dry and even-looking with no horrible fat bits running through each slice.

I hated when they changed their pack design which meant I had to try and judge if the ham in the pack was the way I liked it.

So then I discovered Aldi's Specially Selected Limerick Crumbed Ham and I really liked it.
    There was joy in our household as the fussy one (me) could safely say she'd found a ham she liked, apart from Denny.

Then I bought the Aldi ham again and it was thickly sliced with fat running through it.
    So I went back to Denny.

And so I've just made a ham sandwich and after taking a bite, I instantly spit it out because I was chewing on...yes, you've guessed it, a globule of fat/jelly. (JELLY,FFS, IT'S HAM, NOT CORNED BEEF).

So now I have to rethink my ham strategy.
    I will probably just not eat it anymore.

And before you say it, I don't like the "real" ham; you know the stuff you have for your dinner.
    Sigh.
    First world problems at their finest.

Back to cheese, I think.
    You know where you are with cheese.

I'm a veggie but Mr Pumpkinseeds isn't. I bought him some of that new Dennys Smoke and Fire ham. Smells gorgeous, and there's lots of variety. Is on offer in Tesco and doesn't look fatty.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm a veggie but Mr Pumpkinseeds isn't. I bought him some of that new Dennys Smoke and Fire ham. Smells gorgeous, and there's lots of variety. Is on offer in Tesco and doesn't look fatty.:)

Ah now you see, I got all fired up (pardon the pun) when I saw that ham and I bought some.
    I thought it was very chewy and didn't go right in a sambo.
    Ignore me, I'm just fussy.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ah now you see, I got all fired up (pardon the pun) when I saw that ham and I bought some.
    I thought it was very chewy and didn't go right in a sambo.
    Ignore me, I'm just fussy.

Maybe you should just give up and buy the own brand stuff Dunnes and Tesco sell for about 80 cent a pack. I give it to our cats and they love it. :D

I firmly believe in supporting depression and charities that benefit the community, but I don't like the merchandising side of things. How much money is spent on t-shirts and other merchandising?, as well as admin costs and how much of the money is actually spent helping people? Not just Pieta house, but all of these run/walk things that give people t-shirts and medals just for taking part?

As far as I understand, the tshirts are sponsored, so the 25 quid per head goes direct to Pieta House. I agree it seems a lot, so maybe it should be scaled, i.e maybe forty euro for two or a family rate, reduced rate for unwaged etc. But I would much rather give my 25 euro to the above than some vague "Help the sick children".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,228 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm here watching "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers", and I can't get the image of seven Conor McGregors out of my head! :(

Still though, brilliant movie, shame they don't make 'em like this any more -

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    As far as I understand, the tshirts are sponsored, so the 25 quid per head goes direct to Pieta House. I agree it seems a lot, so maybe it should be scaled, i.e maybe forty euro for two or a family rate, reduced rate for unwaged etc. But I would much rather give my 25 euro to the above than some vague "Help the sick children".

I don't know why there have to be t-shirts given out at these walk/runs. They all seem to do it, and even though the t-shirts/medals might be sponsored I can't help feeling that the sponsors money would be better spent directly helping the people that the charities are trying to help. It also seems to exclude anyone who hasn't got the 25 quid per person to take part. I think that the organisers of these events need to get rid of the merchandise and just let people turn up on the day and pay what they can.

We could afford to do it but I just wouldn't pay 50 quid to walk up and down the road twice when I can do it any time of the day or night any other day or night for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

People who leave their indicators on for reeeally long times.

Its never been a thing for me until today. Driving behind a gentleman who left it on for my whole 25min journey to work today after we overtook a cyclist. Wrecks your head when you are coming up to a junction or behind a slower moving car. He also slowed down often for no reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement