Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

The cost is what bugs me the most. I need a new black ink cartridge to print one sheet and it'll set me back over 20 euro.:mad:

can you go to an internet café and print it? only be like 50c per sheet or something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

messrs wrote: »
    can you go to an internet café and print it? only be like 50c per sheet or something like that

No, we don't have any locally. I'll just have to buy the cartridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

The cost is what bugs me the most. I need a new black ink cartridge to print one sheet and it'll set me back over 20 euro.:mad:

I get compatiable cartridges on ebay.

4 genuine cartridges cost me £28, but can buy 20 on ebay for £10. will be a little more postage if you're in Ireland, but still a bargain. only ever buy compatiable now, and usually on ebay.

Seriously, why do I keep falling for this? Yet again, I've plodded along thinking I've loads of ink cartridges, then needed to replace the cyan one, and discovered the pile of cartridges I have are all yellow, pink and black.

Just placed an ebay order for 8 cyan cartridges, and only £4.70, but that's not a lot of use now when I need to print and I need cyan. Seriously wouldn't be so annoyed if I hadn't done the same thing several times. The fecking printer needs to start using equal amounts from each cartridge! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I just had some primary school kid knocking at the front door selling tickets for something. I didn't answer the door, I never do. I don't know how people can let kids go knocking on strangers doors on their own. It had stopped for ages and is a pain in the ass to see them back again. It's Communion/Confirmation season here and I've seen parents spending ridiculous amounts of money on their kids for the day. How about not sending your kid to my door begging for money for the school and instead putting some of the money you would have spent on the Communion/Confirmation towards whatever the school is collecting for.

I got some kids calling to my door the other day telling me they're organizing a raffle and do I want to buy tickets! Yeah right!! I always tell them I have no cash in the house, it's often the truth anyway.

miezekatze wrote: »
    I got some kids calling to my door the other day telling me they're organizing a raffle and do I want to buy tickets! Yeah right!! I always tell them I have no cash in the house, it's often the truth anyway.

I can't understand people letting kids call to strangers houses. I didn't recognise the child so the parents don't know me. How can parents warn kids about Stranger Danger but let them call to strangers houses alone. The same parents will be panicking at Chinese Whispers of a man in a van talking to a child but see nothing wrong with letting their kids go to the houses of strangers and risking an encounter with a predator.

I can't understand people letting kids call to strangers houses. I didn't recognise the child so the parents don't know me. How can parents warn kids about Stranger Danger but let them call to strangers houses alone. The same parents will be panicking at Chinese Whispers of a man in a van talking to a child but see nothing wrong with letting their kids go to the houses of strangers and risking an encounter with a predator.

I agree. I hoped that this type of sh1te (sending kids knocking on doors collecting) had ended in the 90s. Seems not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Irish Water - their website says I paid the bill but when I phoned their help desk and type in my account number the computer voice says the bill is still unpaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

The "Things that inexplicably turn you against someone" thread, where almost everyone has decided to completely ignore the word "inexplicably." I'd say about 90% of the posts in that thread are completely irrelevant to the thread title.

• Advertisement

The Journal.ie's incessant use of the word "lad." They're really trying to shove it down our throats. Almost everything about that clickbait site is truly the pits.

(Yes I'm having a bad day, hence all the posts :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Cold feet. It's impossible to warm them up too.

Trying to read an article on some website on my phone and having to click on 'read more' links all the time to be able to read the whole thing. Why do you think I accessed the article in the first place, if not to read it?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

paying with a 50.

look just check it outright, I dont care.

.... but then again, how very dare you check my money.

in either case just take the note without a look on your face like Ive just pulled it out of my stinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Irish Water - their website says I paid the bill but when I phoned their help desk and type in my account number the computer voice says the bill is still unpaid.

And that's exactly why I refuse to fund a clusterfcuk of an organisation like Irish Water. Couldn't find it's own a*se with a map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Use of the term "so called".

Listening to Eileen Dunne on RTE News the other day telling us that some Iraqi city was overtaken by "so called" Islamic State terrorists.

They are Islamic State terrorists, and leaving out "so called" make zero difference to the sentence or meaning for the listener.

and while I'm on a rant, does anyone really need to be told that Barack Obama is the President of the USA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

That slightly dusty feel to your gear stick & steering wheel after a mechanic's been at your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

NIMAN wrote: »

Listening to Eileen Dunne on RTE News the other day telling us that some Iraqi city was overtaken by "so called" Islamic State terrorists.

They are Islamic State terrorists, and leaving out "so called" make zero difference to the sentence or meaning for the listener.

and while I'm on a rant, does anyone really need to be told that Barack Obama is the President of the USA?

The "so called" President.

The 2 seperate cellulitis infections under my arm, factored with after 2 seperate courses of antibiotics for bronchitis I'm now taking a 3rd course for the cellulitis. Tummy feels like a balloon after all the antibiotics and my arm is killing me. Moan over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,734 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Pharmacies that leave their big green neon pharmacy sign on even when they are closed.

It's 7.19pm, I need to buy some paracetamol, oh look, a pharmac.... Nevermind, it's closed!!!

NIMAN wrote: »

Actually, I don't mind IS, ISIS or ISIL being termed "so called" as they've gone through several name changes and it's not 100% clear what name applies at times and they're not called any of those names in Arabic. Plus some don't want to call it a 'state' as that sort of implies legitimacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

TA: I actually wish I had to take the green luas this morning instead of driving.
    I'd phone in to work, explain that I'd be late, then would stroll in leisurely, perhaps stopping for a coffee on the way and enjoy the beautiful sunny morning out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,225 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

whiskeyman wrote: »
    TA: I actually wish I had to take the green luas this morning instead of driving.
    I'd phone in to work, explain that I'd be late, then would stroll in leisurely, perhaps stopping for a coffee on the way and enjoy the beautiful sunny morning out there.

Not down this part of the country! :(

I think the last week was the weirdest week of weather I can remember in a long time - the sun was shining, and it was fierce hot, but with a bitter cold wind at the same time, and then the spontaneous downpours that reminded me of the times when I was a child and my mother would insist on me buttoning up my duffel coat to the top even though it was melting hot outside, because "you never know, it just might rain" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

People, (usually businessmen, managers or bosses) who think its Okay to call you whatever time they choose.

My old boss was terrible for that. If he had a question he'd just call, even at midnight. And rather than batch them up, he'd just keep calling with each new question.

And when I stopped answering outside of work hours he'd give off to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Pharmacies that leave their big green neon pharmacy sign on even when they are closed.

It's 7.19pm, I need to buy some paracetamol, oh look, a pharmac.... Nevermind, it's closed!!!

That reminds me...

When I was in Spain last year, I needed a pharmacy for some plasters, so I went walking around and spotted a big green neon cross (pharmacy sign), so I went into the shop.

They were selling cosmetics and down the back were things like Savlon and antiseptic, etc.
    I couldn't see any plasters, so I asked the assistant.
    She showed me some TINY plastic plasters, which I hate, so I asked if she had any fabric ones.
    She said "No, we are not a chemist."

I said "You are. You have a big green pharmacy sign outside."
    She shook her head furiously and snottily replied "We are not."

Anyway, yeah, that was a trivial annoyance.

grundie wrote: »
    People, (usually businessmen, managers or bosses) who think its Okay to call you whatever time they choose.

My old boss was terrible for that. If he had a question he'd just call, even at midnight. And rather than batch them up, he'd just keep calling with each new question.

And when I stopped answering outside of work hours he'd give off to me.

I refused to give my (personal) mobile no to my old boss to stop him calling me at odd hours, he grabbed one of my colleagues phones and took the number from it. :mad: He thought it was a great laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I refused to give my (personal) mobile no to my old boss to stop him calling me at odd hours, he grabbed one of my colleagues phones and took the number from it. :mad: He thought it was a great laugh.

Once my wife answered my phone and gave him an earful for calling whilst we were putting the kids to bed.

The next day I was pulled aside and told that it was completely unacceptable and unprofessional for me to let me wife talk to him like that. He was oblivious to me telling him that calling me outside of work hours, unless it was an emergency, was the real unprofessional act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

block his number!!

messrs wrote: »
    block his number!!

When I saw it coming up, I would ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Rights and how people believe they have a right to everything.

Also, pharmacies that call themselves "Late Night" pharmacies that close at 9pm or 10pm! :mad:

We need a 24 hour pharmacy in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

DareGod wrote: »
    Also, pharmacies that call themselves "Late Night" pharmacies that close at 9pm or 10pm! :mad:

We need a 24 hour pharmacy in Dublin.

Yeah, just in Dublin, sure everyone else can just travel up if they need something in the middle of the night:)

I hear you can can get any amount of "pharamceuticals" on O'Connell Street day or night:D

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Yeah, just in Dublin, sure everyone else can just travel up if they need something in the middle of the night:)

I hear you can can get any amount of "pharamceuticals" on O'Connell Street day or night:D

I'm in Dublin, so I'm only aware that there are none in Dublin. I don't know about the rest of the country, so I can't comment on that, hence not doing so...

People who post those pedometer readouts on facebook. What is that about? So you walked 1.4km, you're a young able bodied adult ffs, that's nothing to brag about and why the hell would anyone care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

DareGod wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin, so I'm only aware that there are none in Dublin. I don't know about the rest of the country, so I can't comment on that, hence not doing so...

Ah don't be touchy, I was only kidding. As far as I know there are no 24hr pharmacies in Ireland, and you are correct, we could sure do with a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Getting change of a 10 or a 20 when you hand in a 50 twice in one night out drinking!

When I'm in the bank now I get any 50s changed to 10s and 5s.
    If out drinking I carry 10s and 5s only. Problem solved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

That multiple websites, blogs etc feel the need to tell people that they should not take a selfie in the ballot booth, or with their completed ballot.

I am trivially annoyed that the world has come to the point that selfies are so pervasive that this advice is deemed necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Being referred to as Mr. when taxing my car. I have a clearly female name and use Ms as my title, which I would have filled out at the time:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

dub_skav wrote: »
    That multiple websites, blogs etc feel the need to tell people that they should not take a selfie in the ballot booth, or with their completed ballot.

I am trivially annoyed that the world has come to the point that selfies are so pervasive that this advice is deemed necessary.

I think that was because some crowd was advocating taking a selfie with their Yes badges in the booths only a few days ago on social media.

I'm trivially annoyed at how time flies. 19 years ago today Mr Pumpkinseeds and I went on our 1st date. If I'd left the house 5 minutes earlier/later we never would have gone out together, weird thought.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,734 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Being offered complementary wifi in an airport lounge, or anywhere for that matter, but in order to access said wifi, you need to give them your name, email, home address, phone number, shirt size and whatever the hell else they want to know!!

Jeebus, I just want to have a browse around boards!! Not sign my life away!!!

People who talk on their mobile as if they were on a reality tv show - having it on speaker and holding it flat in front of their face, and of course there's lots of background noise so they almost have to shout. Just use it the normal way you silly cow, it's bad enough I have to listen to your side of the conversation, I don't want to hear what your friend has to say as well.

I'm trivially annoyed at how time flies. 19 years ago today Mr Pumpkinseeds and I went on our 1st date. If I'd left the house 5 minutes earlier/later we never would have gone out together, weird thought.:D

Here you go Pumpkinseeds

Excuse me while I find a corner turn white and throw up :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPWHkK-_a_A

JFC I'm gonna scream. In a really lovely hostel with pod beds, but the girl in bed above is watching something on laptop VERY loudly and I can't even think straight.

I know that's the type of sh1te that comes with hostels, and I chose to stay in one, but never came across anything quite like it before. I feel like throwing her up my headphones. Ignorant sod.

EDIT: I decided to put on youtube at the highest volume if that's what we're at, and she then turned hers off. Passive aggressive so and so that I am, but at least I can think straight now.

miezekatze wrote: »
    People who talk on their mobile as if they were on a reality tv show - having it on speaker and holding it flat in front of their face, and of course there's lots of background noise so they almost have to shout. Just use it the normal way you silly cow, it's bad enough I have to listen to your side of the conversation, I don't want to hear what your friend has to say as well.

Are you on the Bus? Are you on the train? where are you now?

I love asking those questions to people so as to annoy passengers as I so hate people saying ....

If possible get the person to repeat it more than once.

"Im on the train now" etc .....

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Someone misjudging you harshly. Someone misjudging themselves harshly. Cryptic communication. Kindness is a conscious demonstration of my strength don't underestimate me and don't misunderstand me. When people don't put things into perspective.

Not knowing if I am safe.

Walls. Towers. Not knowing where i am.

Looks down ..oh it's ok I'm here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

**** Ryanair and **** Stansted. Today has been a nightmare and my flight hasn't even left yet.

JFC I'm gonna scream. In a really lovely hostel with pod beds, but the girl in bed above is watching something on laptop VERY loudly and I can't even think straight.

I know that's the type of sh1te that comes with hostels, and I chose to stay in one, but never came across anything quite like it before. I feel like throwing her up my headphones. Ignorant sod.

EDIT: I decided to put on youtube at the highest volume if that's what we're at, and she then turned hers off. Passive aggressive so and so that I am, but at least I can think straight now.

It could be worse, trust me. The next door nightmare has a lodger Monday to Wednesday and we can hear every word of whatever he's watching on tv in his bedroom until about midnight. The guy must be stone deaf.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Shandashey

Trying to get off the bus earlier, and this woman went and stood like a star fish, arms out like she was trying to balance on a high wire :mad: then the huffs out of her when I tried to pass. Hate women on public transport, more than men I think

I knew I should have bought the really expensive rotary clothes line that you can lower like a crutch, but oh no, I was a cheap skate and bought the cheapo string clothes line and now my celulitis abcessed armpit is crucifying me every time I reach to put clothes on the line. Other trivial annoyance, my painkillers are giving me a headache.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement