Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My legs are aching. I feel like an elderly woman getting up and down the stairs. I think it's tendonitis and I've had to cut back on my walks. I'm not so much power-walking as power-hobbling. Second trivial annoyance, people blocking the footpath. I got stuck behind 2 guys for almost 2km last night as it's a straight very busy stretch of road, too busy to walk on the road to get past them and my legs are too achey to speed past them. So I ended up watching them scratch their arses and spit. :mad:

Tendonitis is the pits.

Power walking is not good for you now. Did you know this? The gurus say that ordinary fast walking is just as good. If you can walk and talk at a fast pace you're winning! The rules change every day now.

It helps to rest, ice, immobilise and elevate.

So I am glad I just feckin WALKED.

Hope you will be OK. Walking is fab.

Am hoping to do the Camino next year, well a bit of it anyway. Best of luck with the tendonitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Does anyone ever get the "top of the stairs memory fade out thing" ?

You know, you think of something, it's upstairs, so up you go...

Then when you get there you cannot remember why you went up there in the first place.

Only solution is to come back down again, and Bingo! aha, that's why I went up there.

And so the cycle continues. Up, down, up down. Hate that.

I am not that old, but it happens a lot, and it drives me nuts. My sister said she writes it down before attempting the stairs at all. So it's not just me lol

It's worse when you are halfway up, and you can't remember if you are going up or down:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    It's worse when you are halfway up, and you can't remember if you are going up or down:D

Bit like the Grand Old Duke Of York.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

American people saying cuss instead of curse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

eviltwin wrote: »

...and snicker instead of snigger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

When Soaps introduce a really annoying new character who bores you quickly, especially narcissistic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

When complete cnuts are glorified.

(not a personal dig, and doesn't related to anything boards related)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

My new housemates lack of manners is beyond trivally annoying. She stomps around like a bull in a china shop from around 8 in the morning til midnight. I cleaned the bathroom today and since then she has shaved her legs in the sink, gotten toothpaste on the mirror and left hair in the shower. Counting the days Til I can move home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mudmask wrote: »
    My new housemates lack of manners is beyond trivally annoying. She stomps around like a bull in a china shop from around 8 in the morning til midnight. I cleaned the bathroom today and since then she has shaved her legs in the sink, gotten toothpaste on the mirror and left hair in the shower. Counting the days Til I can move home.

Oh my furkin' God. Livestock, absolute livestock. I'd Jujutsu her out head-first out an upstairs window! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Second trivial annoyance, people blocking the footpath. I got stuck behind 2 guys for almost 2km last night as it's a straight very busy stretch of road, too busy to walk on the road to get past them and my legs are too achey to speed past them. So I ended up watching them scratch their arses and spit. :mad:

My TA of late.. Runners and power walkers.. I have as much right to use the pavement as you. Why do you feel the need to bang your BO riddled body into me just so you can go in a straight line or do you think you are special?

Would it hurt to move 1ft to the left or right to avoid me and other normal people?? And why do you have to snort and spit all over the pavement and adjust your "bits" in your tight shorts as you approach me??

Every night I meet 10-15 on the 10 min walk to the shop..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

eviltwin wrote: »

My Gran used to say cuss as in a cussword and she was born up north in the 1900's.

Don't think its an American thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Radio5 wrote: »
    The many people who don't use the indicators on their cars/vans/lorries and assume you can read their mind as to which way they are going.

+1

For sure a % of these drivers will cause crashes as a result and motor bike fatalities.

It's the height of selfishness and should be classed as dangerous driving.

Like someone overtaking driving towards you on your side of the road.
    Someone lazy again? Or perhaps an American foreigner driving on the wrong side of the road and I think I'm going to die in a head on crash.

How difficult is it to indicate FFS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Ordering takeaway for 2-3 or more
    people, especially pizza. You have to cater to everyones tastes . We ordered a meal deal and shared the one pizza, someone asked for manky toppings that I and the other person hated so we had to pick them off, but we couldn't complain as he was generous enough to pay cause we were broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

Does anyone ever get the "top of the stairs memory fade out thing" ?

You know, you think of something, it's upstairs, so up you go...

Then when you get there you cannot remember why you went up there in the first place.

Only solution is to come back down again, and Bingo! aha, that's why I went up there.

And so the cycle continues. Up, down, up down. Hate that.

I am not that old, but it happens a lot, and it drives me nuts. My sister said she writes it down before attempting the stairs at all. So it's not just me lol

Yesterday I put my car keys in the fridge.

TA that it is a public holiday in Germany today and everyone I need to talk to, work wise, is off. Going to be a lonely day.

dubscottie wrote: »
    My TA of late.. Runners and power walkers.. I have as much right to use the pavement as you. Why do you feel the need to bang your BO riddled body into me just so you can go in a straight line or do you think you are special?

Would it hurt to move 1ft to the left or right to avoid me and other normal people?? And why do you have to snort and spit all over the pavement and adjust your "bits" in your tight shorts as you approach me??

Every night I meet 10-15 on the 10 min walk to the shop..

:eek:, Where do I even start with this one? I never bump anyone, I do not have BO. I don't wear shorts, ever, and I most certainly do not spit. My bra works really well so I don't need to 'adjust bits'. Maybe you should take up exercise and work off some of that rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

The trackpad on my laptop has no physical demarcation between the left and right buttons, so I can't feel if I am pressing the right one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

grundie wrote: »
    The trackpad on my laptop has no physical demarcation between the left and right buttons, so I can't feel if I am pressing the right one.

Or the left one:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Knackers cycling on the footpaths around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

A newbie in work trying to tell you how to do your job.

• Advertisement

Knackers cycling on the footpaths around Dublin.

Its not just knackers, and not just dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

The fact that every morning I buy a coffee in a certain coffee shop, knowing full well that the coffee shop a few doors down does nicer coffee. God damn you attractive coffee making women, why must you do this to me? The things us guys have to endure sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Dramatik wrote: »
    The fact that every morning I buy a coffee in a certain coffee shop, knowing full well that the coffee shop a few doors down does nicer coffee. God damn you attractive coffee making women, why must you do this to me? The things us guys have to endure sometimes...

And I thought I was a perv.

Crappy pillows. Why oh why is it so hard to find a decent pillow. At this point I'd almost sell my soul for a decent, comfortable pillow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

And I thought I was a perv.
    We all know who the biggest perv is... the person who hired them. Anyway they'd probably have to PM you nudes for you to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Crappy pillows. Why oh why is it so hard to find a decent pillow. At this point I'd almost sell my soul for a decent, comfortable pillow.

I have this one and it's super comfortable.
    I used to sleep on two crappy pillows but this one eradicates the need for two, as it's big, slightly firm and oh-so-comfy.

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/pillows/dreamtime-luxury-memory-foam-pillow/invt/053192

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

pew wrote:

And they feel justified in doing so because they've "done this before "

Yesterday I put my car keys in the fridge.

We must be related.

I put the sugar bowl in there last week, and went mad trying to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

We must be related.

I put the sugar bowl in there last week, and went mad trying to find it.

The kids (adults now) have often found the noodles in the fridge, coffee in the freezer , the list is endless.

Worst is I was going to fry an egg last week , and it took me a minute to realise what I'd done wrong . I had forgotten to crack the egg first. time to see a doctor I think ...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    The kids (adults now) have often found the noodles in the fridge, coffee in the freezer , the list is endless.

Worst is I was going to fry an egg last week , and it took me a minute to realise what I'd done wrong . I had forgotten to crack the egg first. time to see a doctor I think ...:(

If it's any consolation, I keep my coffee in the freezer.

Technology is bugging the hell out of me today. Some USB cables are for charging only, some can be used for data transfer and charging.
    Who knew that and forgot to tell me?!

That's normal. Well I think it is, as I do this all the time! Everyone loses things and forgets this and that.

The TA is when you can't find the stuff for ages, because it is not in its usual place.

And that is because?? Yes I put it in the fridge/freezer or somewhere else it shouldn't be when distracted. :eek:

That's normal. Well I think it is, as I do this all the time! Everyone loses things and forgets this and that.

The TA is when you can't find the stuff for ages, because it is not in its usual place.

And that is because?? Yes I put it in the fridge/freezer or somewhere else it shouldn't be when distracted. :eek:

But of course, if you are me, you will have openly blamed all the other family members for 'losing' said item!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

My T.A. is that I wish I could blame it on distraction :) not on the the fact that I'm getting older and forgetful , ah well, onwards and upwards :D

Whisky Mac wrote: »
    But of course, if you are me, you will have openly blamed all the other family members for 'losing' said item!

Of course I do, that's what they are there for after all!

They should ALWAYS know where stuff I have lost or misplaced is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Motorists who slow down way below the speed limit when they see a speed van up ahead.

You are allowed to drive at the speed limit passing these things; just don't exceed it.

I appreciate there might me a small margin for error on the cameras; but the amount of people who insist on slowing to to 60 or 70 kmph in a 100 kmph zone after spotting a van is just ridiculous.

My T.A. is that I wish I could blame it on distraction :) not on the the fact that I'm getting older and forgetful , ah well, onwards and upwards :D

No, No, No, it is not an age thing at all. Never in fact lol!

It is when you are thinking of something else at the same time as that other thing that you THINK is so important.

Distraction, in other words :D

We are all getting older, but I do laugh at myself a lot. I am a bit nuts. Better to shine a light, than curse at the darkness though. Who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Annoyed by my unsuitable and hefty furniture. Some day I'll have beautiful and useful things, not just make-do kinda stuff.

pew wrote: »

I had to fire someone for this a few years back. Never tell the boss how to do their job.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I had to fire someone for this a few years back. Never tell the boss how to do their job.:D

You try having to deal with cocky lil **** apprentices

• Advertisement

You try having to deal with cocky lil **** apprentices

This bitch actually emailed me at home trying to persuade me to do something her way after I'd already told her several times that we would continue to do things my way, the way that was making sh*tloads of money. The email was the last straw, I have a very low BS tolerance level and some people just need to be put straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NoAlarms

When people say " he/she looks great..for their age"

Usually when they're 35+(in my experience)

Really(trivially annoys me), can't people just say a person looks good and leave it at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I absolutely despise people who choose to stay in the family business their whole life as a career. Not only does it reflect a weak and completely dependent character to have to fall back on their mammy and daddy to earn their money, but it makes them complete unused to how the real working world operates.
    I was in work the other day and chatting to a girl who is with us on Intern how to improve her cv. And the girl from accounts who has been there right years right out of college and is the boss daughter was nodding all sympathetic about the job market "oh I know but this will be good on your cv"
    And all the while I was thinking "what the fcuk would you know about ANYTHING you never had to walk the streets in the rain handing out cvs never had to worry about being on the dole and will never experience workplace bullying because you just have to run to Daddy. I know nepotism happens everywhere but it still makes my blood boil, get out there and get your own career instead of falling back on your mammy and daddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

So basically every family business should be shut down and wrapped up after one generation? :confused: Once those who founded it have retired/passed away, that's it, sold or closed down!

Good thinking there!

kfallon wrote: »
    So basically every family business should be shut down and wrapped up after one generation? :confused: Once those who founded it have retired/passed away, that's it, sold or closed down!

Good thinking there!

Some family businesses are very good, but I've never found any in the hospitality industry that aren't basically a 'our kids are so useless nobody else will employ them so we will' feel to them. So you often end up with incompetent people with a bad attitude, little or no people skills who would be fired anywhere else but act like little Hitlers within the family business. I usually avoid anywhere that advertises as a family run business, in my experience that isn't a good thing.

Some family businesses are very good, but I've never found any in the hospitality industry that aren't basically a 'our kids are so useless nobody else will employ them so we will' feel to them. So you often end up with incompetent people with a bad attitude, little or no people skills who would be fired anywhere else but act like little Hitlers within the family business. I usually avoid anywhere that advertises as a family run business, in my experience that isn't a good thing.

First time for everything, but I disagree with you on this one.
    Family businesses appeal to me as there I like the continuity there and they add to the sense of community in the area. They are often run better than similar size operations due to the mentoring the current owner has received from their parents.
    Most of the people I know who have taken over a family business have a real passion for it, to make sure they hand the business over in a better state than they received it. It is more than a job for them.
    Accepted there are some plebs who could not make it in the real world.
    My own dad was not a happy camper that none of his kids took over his business!

Fair enough but I think the posters gripe was with the daughter, obviously he doesn't like her for whatever reason, to use the words, "I absolutely despise people who choose to stay in the family business their whole career" is totally OTT and his/her judgement is probably being clouded by his dislike of the girl he works with.

No I don't like the daughter but that's just because of my principle on this issue. How many family business workers pounced the streets looking for work or got rejection letters? How many will suffer workplace bullying? How many have to worry if they are late for work? None none and none. It's pure and utter laziness for a grown man or woman to just accept their mammy and daddy's businesses as heir own and plow on it shows no backbone or character in my view. My boss said to me few weeks back "watch your times" when i was five mins late after dealing with a sick child and I instantly spat back "Mary (for argument) comes back from lunch half an hour late twice a week, you gonna say anything to her?" It was like I spat at him he didn't know what to say or where to look but fcuk that I'm not putting up with rubbish like that. Family employees find your own way!

I presume you are actively looking for another job so?

Do you boycott all family runs businesses on this principle, yeah?

Yeah people taking over a business and keeping it afloat, profitable and thriving are showing no backbone whatsoever!!!

Why would I look for another job? By the way are you in a family business did I hit a nerve with you?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement