Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

The smell of slurry in our room :( worst thing about living in the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

KatW4 wrote: »
    The smell of slurry in our room :( worst thing about living in the countryside.

One of the best things about living in the countryside! Tis a grand fresh smell, as long as it's cow slurry.

Chicken slurry would just make you cry. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

You should tell him he's being paid to paint, not drink tea. I remember when we were staying with my father in law for a few months in England, there were some guys upgrading the central heating and we had to go out while they took the asbestos out. When we came back later that day I opened the fridge to put some stuff in and they'd put their lunches and soft drinks in:eek: I was fricking appalled at the cheek of it.

I don't really see a problem with this, they should have asked but if their lunch was easily spoiled by heat then I think it's fine.

One other thing is that asbestos is extremely hazardous material to remove and particles can land on food etc. Putting their lunches in the fridge may have been just to keep them out of harms way.

Anyone doing a risky job like ridding your house of asbestos and you know, maybe preventing you from getting cancers like mesothelioma should be entitled to put their lunch anywhere they damn well please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Rather with lizzyman on that.

Yet another bus and food one - people who open up a bag of cheese and onion crisps (specifically!) on a hot inter-city bus. The stink of them will cover a bus in a couple of minutes, and it's unbearable in the heat, when you're stuck with it for two hours or more. I get travel-sick pretty easily and (for medication reasons), can't take anti-travel sick tablets. I've had to get off the Cork-Waterford bus in Dungarven for an hour before now due to it. Sure, that's a me-problem, but I wish people with nasty smelly food would have some consideration for the poor fcekers trapped with them in a hot moving tin can.

Also people that insist on regaling the whole bus of their relationship/life problems, opinions, gossip, etc. at the top of their lungs for over an hour in the strange misapprehension that the person next to them is half a mile away and thus cannot hear them unless they use their outdoor voice. Their outdoor-across-a-field voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

People being reported missing in the media after being away for mere hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Tube surprisingly not that crowded, yet some grumpy middle aged wan feels the need to stand right up on my shoulder, almost like she wants to read exactly what's on my phone. Feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

lizzyman wrote: »
    I don't really see a problem with this, they should have asked but if their lunch was easily spoiled by heat then I think it's fine.

One other thing is that asbestos is extremely hazardous material to remove and particles can land on food etc. Putting their lunches in the fridge may have been just to keep them out of harms way.

Anyone doing a risky job like ridding your house of asbestos and you know, maybe preventing you from getting cancers like mesothelioma should be entitled to put their lunch anywhere they damn well please.

The problem was not being asked. The job is their living, they know that they want to put the food in your fridge, I think the point of not asking is that they knew we'd no choice but to be out of the house for the day and rather than ask and risk being told no, they just took liberties and put the stuff in the fridge. It was rude and intrusive and out of order. It's poor form to take those kind of liberties in a strangers home. My husband's step dad used to strip asbestos and it's not something he'd ever do, even he was appalled at it.

Tube surprisingly not that crowded, yet some grumpy middle aged wan feels the need to stand right up on my shoulder, almost like she wants to read exactly what's on my phone. Feck off.

I always hated getting the Tube, not that we had to use it often. I always felt like the life was being sucked out of me down there, especially if there's a delay somewhere on the line and your down there in a heatwave.

xLisaBx wrote: »
    My mother getting me a piercing voucher as a gift a while back and now complaining that I have used it. Like what? :pac:

On a piercing theme, people who pierce infants/toddlers ears. I've seen a 3 year old boy with a hoop earring to match his dads one. No shop would have done that so they've done a home piercing job with a needle on their kids ear lobe. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

On a piercing theme, people who pierce infants/toddlers ears. I've seen a 3 year old boy with a hoop earring to match his dads one. No shop would have done that so they've done a home piercing job with a needle on their kids ear lobe. :mad:

+1, it's so tacky. A child is not a fashion accessory! If they want it themselves when they get older, fair enough, but it's just horrible on babies and small children.

• Advertisement

tradhead wrote:
    One of the best things about living in the countryside! Tis a grand fresh smell, as long as it's cow slurry.

Pig slurry :( it's worse. Haven't experienced chicken slurry! Apart from the smell, I love living in the countryside. It's almost been a year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Lads who wear suits to work, then switch the shoes to runners when heading home. You look stupid lads, please stop

Pig slurry :( it's worse. Haven't experienced chicken slurry! Apart from the smell, I love living in the countryside. It's almost been a year :D

you can buy buckets of chicken sh1t pellets in Woodies- stinks

you can buy buckets of chicken sh1t pellets in Woodies- stinks

I think I'll pass on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Lads who wear suits to work, then switch the shoes to runners when heading home. You look stupid lads, please stop

Think they are Melanie Griffith in 'Working Girl' :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Back in 1990 I had my ear pierced. I was three months old. Not my decision you understand.

Could never get consensus on if it was "the gay ear".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Some places will now pierce once the baby has had their first vaccines. In the UK that's 6 weeks! It's ridiculous, but probably done in order to prevent parents chancing it with needles at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The problem was not being asked. The job is their living, they know that they want to put the food in your fridge, I think the point of not asking is that they knew we'd no choice but to be out of the house for the day and rather than ask and risk being told no, they just took liberties and put the stuff in the fridge. It was rude and intrusive and out of order. It's poor form to take those kind of liberties in a strangers home. My husband's step dad used to strip asbestos and it's not something he'd ever do, even he was appalled at it.

That seems highly sensitive. They didn't leave it in your drawers. Would you let them use your bathroom?

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That seems highly sensitive. They didn't leave it in your drawers. Would you let them use your bathroom?

Now you're just being silly. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

I do this : / well I'm a girl and wear suit dresses and runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

*small scream* When I buy a soft warm comfortable teeshirt or jumper, and find the manufacturers have sewn in a label at the back of the neck that is made of nasty, scratchy cheapo nylon with rough edges; and irritates my neck so I have to cut it off.

And whaddya know? they are very hard to cut out - tiny, close stitches - if you don't use a magnifying glass and a razor blade you risk cutting into the nice new soft fabric, just to get rid of it.

*snarl and sob*

Why don't they use cotton labels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

People that pretend not to know certain celebrities in an attempt to look cool.

Someone in the McGregor thread for example, you know who he is unless you live under a rock.

I was just about to post this same thing and I saw you beat me to it. What gets me is they go on to a thread about that person just to say "I've never heard of this person in my life"!

I imagine them getting on a bus and announcing "I've never seen any of you before! Just so you know you're all strangers to me!"

It's just such a weird thing to want people to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The word "cuz" and I mean this in the cousin sense.

"How's it going cuz?" "Looking good cuz". It's all over FB at the minute.
    Maybe it's due to none of my cousins on either side of the family referring to each other like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I do this : / well I'm a girl and wear suit dresses and runners.

I think it's ok for women to do this, you wouldn't be able to walk too far in heels or most other smart footwear. For men it seems a bit silly though.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Cleeky

Both pronunciations are actually correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

People eating things wrapped in a crinkly wrapper, but who think they are doing it discreetly. Why not just take it out of the packet right at the start (might excuse it if could melt, but most can't)? Someone is doing it here, now, in the office. Aargh.

Speaking of people pretending not to know celebrities to seem cool...

A while back I was sitting down to lunch with the OH in Aroi, Limerick. Anyone that's been there knows it's small.

So the table next to me sounded like they were on a first date, maybe a second date. Kinda awkward, but trying to make conversation.

The girl is telling a story about her friends and mentioned they had tickets to foo fighters. He stopped her and asked who they were. After she explained he done the "never heard of them. Are they big?" routine.

Cringe inducing wasn't the word. She just stopped telling her story. Luckily the waitress came over to break the awkwardness. Very obvious he was lying.

That place is so small so you can't help but overhear. At the best of times I dont talk while eating if someone else can hear me, don't know why, but that day I was too embarrassed to talk :D

When you need to type a single letter and autocorrect changes it. I pressed O, I meant O, not I.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

someone leaving near empty containers of whatever out in the open and not throwing them away. five pieces of bitesize shredded wheat in the box are no good to me, or anyone. neither is two teaspoon's worth of yoghurt, or the crushed bits at the end of the pringles, or a literal drop of milk, or to the point where I have to twist and contort the toothpaste tube within an inch of it's short life just to get a measly bit . if it's running empty throw it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Kev W wrote: »
    I was just about to post this same thing and I saw you beat me to it. What gets me is they go on to a thread about that person just to say "I've never heard of this person in my life"!

I imagine them getting on a bus and announcing "I've never seen any of you before! Just so you know you're all strangers to me!"

It's just such a weird thing to want people to know.

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

• Advertisement

galljga1 wrote: »
    I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

It's a loan you take out to buy a cereal bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Hayfever - on top of the worlds woes on my shoulders, hayfever is driving me nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

That ad for Hostelworld does my head in. Who in their right mind strips off b@llock naked and jumps into a lake with a bunch of strangers? Are they that desperate for business that this is how they entice people to holiday with them? Come to wherever with us and you will get to see a load of eejits in the nip. Tools,the lot of them:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,225 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

73Cat wrote: »
    That ad for Hostelworld does my head in. Who in their right mind strips off b@llock naked and jumps into a lake with a bunch of strangers? Are they that desperate for business that this is how they entice people to holiday with them? Come to wherever with us and you will get to see a load of eejits in the nip. Tools,the lot of them:(

I d... Oh, in their right mind, nope, definitely not me then, I haven't been in my right mind now for years, still a stupid advert though, you're right about that much! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

jacool wrote: »
    People eating things wrapped in a crinkly wrapper, but who think they are doing it discreetly. Why not just take it out of the packet right at the start (might excuse it if could melt, but most can't)? Someone is doing it here, now, in the office. Aargh.

That does my head in, people eating biscuits at their desk, taking one out of the wrapper and then twisting the wrapper to make it hermetic. They can't cop that everyone can hear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The general nose pollution as soon as the sun comes out in Ireland. Although what's worse is the almost self-entitlement some people feel that they HAVE to go out to enjoy the sun, even if they have to work/attend class or whatever. I'm in the middle of doing a course, and the productivity levels have gone way down this week, as so many within the class feel it's they're god given right to extend the lunch break by 5-10 mins because it's a bit warm outside.

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but Ireland has a reputation for being obsessed with the weather for a reason, and that is encapsulated in it's worse in the summer.

The general nose pollution as soon as the sun comes out in Ireland. Although what's worse is the almost self-entitlement some people feel that they HAVE to go out to enjoy the sun, even if they have to work/attend class or whatever. I'm in the middle of doing a course, and the productivity levels have gone way down this week, as so many within the class feel it's they're god given right to extend the lunch break by 5-10 mins because it's a bit warm outside.

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but Ireland has a reputation for being obsessed with the weather for a reason, and that is encapsulated in it's worse in the summer.

I can never understand this either. Was on my way home yesterday and a man passed me in a car, all four windows rolled down and some god awful country and irish ****e blaring out of the radio. What makes these people think that they do this just because it's sunny?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

The general nose pollution as soon as the sun comes out in Ireland.
    I hate all this happy, clappy vibe in public as soon as the sun comes out. There should be a van driving around the streets with a loudspeaker shouting "stay indoors, skin cancer alert, stay indoors"!

Guys, of a certain persuasion, who go around topless in the sun.

Scumbags roiding under a bare white duvet in a green area beside a main road. Surrounded by empty cans of Dutch Gold.

People wearing board shorts and wifebeaters that are a size too small. Wifebeaters in general.

Why does warm weather always draw these people out?

• Advertisement

lizzyman wrote: »
    Scumbags roiding under a bare white duvet in a green area beside a main road. Surrounded by empty cans of Dutch Gold.

People wearing board shorts and wifebeaters that are a size too small. Wifebeaters in general.

Why does warm weather always draw these people out?

Because they've got nothing to do, all day to do it and your taxpayer money is funding that Dutch Gold. They're probably working on making their next dole sponge baby.

My boyfriend deciding what to watch on Netflix all of the time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

"all the feels" " this video gives you all the feels" anything to do with feels.

People on Facebook bragging about being on the dole.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    "all the feels" " this video gives you all the feels" anything to do with feels.

People on Facebook bragging about being on the dole.

What happens next will change your life..

Can hay fever kill you?

It feels like it's trying to kill me with sleep deprivation..

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Those VHI adverts are really annoying me and possibly a little bit dangerous. There is one advert where a women had breast cancer and said she called VHI and they said she was covered, correct me if I'm wrong but I think weather you have VHI or not you're covered for breast cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Those VHI adverts are really annoying me and possibly a little bit dangerous. There is one advert where a women had breast cancer and said she called VHI and they said she was covered, correct me if I'm wrong but I think weather you have VHI or not you're covered for breast cancer.

I think you are only covered if it can be proven that the tumour developed after a set time after you have taken out a policy. If it is proven that the tumour was in your body but unknown to yourself at the time before you take out a policy, then go and take out a policy and are then diagnosed at a later date you are not covered.

Think I read that somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I think you are only covered if it can be proven that the tumour developed after a set time after you have taken out a policy. If it is proven that the tumour was in your body but unknown to yourself at the time before you take out a policy, then go and take out a policy and are then diagnosed at a later date you are not covered.

Think I read that somewhere.

The point swimming was making is that you will be catered for regardless of insurance. No waiting list for cancer care.

My boyfriend deciding what to watch on Netflix all of the time :(

dump him and dump Netflix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

galljga1 wrote: »
    The point swimming was making is that you will be catered for regardless of insurance. No waiting list for cancer care.

I mis-read the post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement