Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

galljga1 wrote: »
    You are obviously intelligent but just cannot spell Mensa.

Or Menace! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Kev W wrote: »
    How is this a problem exactly?

Really, you don't see that blocking off a big space in the centre of one of the busiest parts of a shopping mall on one of the busiest shopping days every week for 2 months is a problem? Try getting to the bank, or maneuvering a trolley around them. A stupid, stupid, stupid idea.

Incidentally, I get the impression that you are following me through different threads looking for an argument, if so please get a life as I'm just going to ignore you from this point on. You're just getting a tad dull now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

When you answer your phone in work a few minutes before youre due to finish up and end up getting some dipstick with a ridiculous problem thats going to delay you for ages...give me strength lord ...Mondays are difficult enough :(

Colser wrote: »
    When you answer your phone in work a few minutes before youre due to finish up and end up getting some dipstick with a ridiculous problem thats going to delay you for ages...give me strength lord ...Mondays are difficult enough :(

Just try the old "There is a fire alarm here now, I need to go" line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Menas wrote: »
    Just try the old "There is a fire alarm here now, I need to go" line?

Or the "sorry I cant hear you , its a bad line, your breaking up, hello, hello are you there?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Just read that the local shopping centre is going to be running a kids playgroup on Thursday afternoons all through July and August. Bad enough in itself, but the real kicker is that the area described as the Kids Play area, is right outside the fcuking bank in the busiest part of the mofo shopping mall. Whatever fcukwit thought that one up should be strung up by the balls.:mad:

The continuing invasion of Americanisms eg poop for poo, shopping malls for shopping centres, elevators for lifts etc

My tracksuit bottoms had no pocket so I had to store my house key in my bra when I went for a walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Gay pride parades but no white pride ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

Really, you don't see that blocking off a big space in the centre of one of the busiest parts of a shopping mall on one of the busiest shopping days every week for 2 months is a problem? Try getting to the bank, or maneuvering a trolley around them. A stupid, stupid, stupid idea.

I think it's probably a good idea. Admittedly, I don't know the shopping centre you're talking about but I imagine that a self-contained area for children to play in while their parents do the shopping and go to the bank etc is probably beneficial to all. It saves time for parents, frees the supermarkets up of bored children who can cause a disturbance and creates employment for whoever looks after them. Obviuosly, if the management company has put it in an area which doesn't suit, shoppers should let them know.

On another note: my trivial annoance today is people letting their dogs wee outside my door. I'm fed up pouring bleached water over it! Wee stinks!

Ring up someone else and tell them to do it

• Advertisement

JanaMay wrote: »
    I think it's probably a good idea. Admittedly, I don't know the shopping centre you're talking about but I imagine that a self-contained area for children to play in while their parents do the shopping and go to the bank etc is probably beneficial to all. It saves time for parents, frees the supermarkets up of bored children who can cause a disturbance and creates employment for whoever looks after them. Obviuosly, if the management company has put it in an area which doesn't suit, shoppers should let them know.

On another note: my trivial annoance today is people letting their dogs wee outside my door. I'm fed up pouring bleached water over it! Wee stinks!

If they'd positioned the Play Area properly it would have been very handy for parents doing their shopping to leave the kids for an hour or so, but they put it in a narrow area which is really busy and will just get in the way. I can understand what they're trying to do, they just did it the wrong way. It's a shame really, then again the management of that shopping centre are regularly criticised for the running the place so badly.

Is the humidity making anyone else's hair a frizzy nightmare? I'd put off having it cut and coloured but I couldn't leave it any longer. I'm getting it done next week but my stylist is on holiday, I hate letting someone I don't know cut it.:( But it's either that or continue to look like a female Side Show Bob, despite washing, blow drying and straightening my hair every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

If they'd positioned the Play Area properly it would have been very handy for parents doing their shopping to leave the kids for an hour or so, but they put it in a narrow area which is really busy and will just get in the way. I can understand what they're trying to do, they just did it the wrong way. It's a shame really, then again the management of that shopping centre are regularly criticised for the running the place so badly.

Ah, ok. Regular shoppers will have to complain to the management. Things are often badly organised, but if enough people complain in person it will be changed if possible. (BTW, I'm a serial complainer to companies etc). It's also worth bearing in mind that they might have weighed up all the pros and cons and that area was the only possible solution. Still, I think it might be worth your while mentioning it to them. If enough people complain they might move it to a better place.

(BTW, I'm a serial complainer to companies etc). .

It is always worth complaining....if people dont then nothing changes.
    But I know someone who complains for the sake of it, just to vent and rant for a bit. That is not nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I re-joined Facebook recently and added a girl I used to work with who I got on really well with. She really liked me, she used to always seek me out to have a chat and we used to have drinks together on a work night out. (Nothing romantic - she has a long-term girlfriend.) Anyway, a week later (just now) she deletes me off FB.

I don't understand it. I barely post at all, like maybe once a week, maximum. And then just now she deletes me out of nowhere. I know the default response to this is "It's Facebook, it's not real life, so you shouldn't be taking it seriously." But I call BS on that oft-repeated response. Someone who I thought really liked me, and who I was very fond of, consciously decided to cut me off completely. It hurts a little. And I just needed to vent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My TA is that I accidently unfollowed the trivial annoyances thread and have now to play catch up on three days worth of other people's trivial annoyances :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Incidentally, I get the impression that you are following me through different threads looking for an argument, if so please get a life as I'm just going to ignore you from this point on. You're just getting a tad dull now.

I was just asking for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

fiachr_a wrote: »

At least you recognise that the lack of white pride parades is trivial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Those stupid musicmagpie ads, so annoying!

Having run out of ice pops/ice cream. :( My mouth is really itchy from hayfever and I'd just love a Loop now to numb the inside of my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

People stopping on the hard shoulder on the motorway. Yes, you are supposed to stop there for an emergency but how many emergencies can there actually be if you drive on the motorway for 2 hours and stop 8 cars..drives me insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Accidentally spraying after shave right in your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Parents who let their very young children run amok with those odious scooters on the public road and footpath. It's a fatality waiting to happen in my area.

Every evening when I'm walking home or heading out for a jog, I'll see a parent absent-mindedly using their smartphone, or talking to their adult friend, while their kids hurtle around pedestrians, and across private gateways and other busy entrances like supermarkets and builders merchants, with only the occasional, half-arsed calls of "Oh come back Jaydon/ Katelyn/ Lily-Mae"

When you're pulling out of a carpark on a busy road, it's difficult enough to keep an eye on traffic without having to worry about a three-foot child coming from nowhere on a push-scooter. Such exits are designed to allow the driver to see road-traffic approaching, not children whizzing along the path on push-scooters.

Not sure this even qualifies as a trivial annoyance tbh. It's only trivial in the sense that it's so ridiculously commonplace. Parents, control your children on those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I had a tummy bug on Sat during which I went for an interview, travelled 2 hours home by car and did the grocery shopping.
    My husband seems to now have the bug and the dying swan act has appeared. The dramatics are just wonderful. He is seriously p*ssing me off. Has even developed a limp to go along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

conorh91 wrote: »

Not sure this even qualifies as a trivial annoyance tbh. It's only trivial in the sense that it's so ridiculously commonplace. Parents, control your children on those things.

I agree, this is not a trivial annoyance because it's too annoying to be trivial.
    If they run/ roll towards me I just don't get out of the way and let them hit my knee because they always end up screaming/ crying in shock because someone didn't clear their royal path, while the horrified parents run over to hug their previously neglected offspring.. Unfortunately there is no such easy solution when you're in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

DareGod wrote:
    I don't understand it. I barely post at all, like maybe once a week, maximum. And then just now she deletes me out of nowhere. I know the default response to this is "It's Facebook, it's not real life, so you shouldn't be taking it seriously." But I call BS on that oft-repeated response. Someone who I thought really liked me, and who I was very fond of, consciously decided to cut me off completely. It hurts a little. And I just needed to vent.

I get you. Most won't think it's a big deal, but it's the symbolism behind it. Nowadays, a Facebook friend removal usually means "I don't care about, or want anything to do with you anymore" it seems really personal. That they just dumped you. I understand why it hurt you. People underestimate their actions online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Got blocked at nearly every aisle by the same couple while shopping today. She was pushing a massive trolley and he was pushing a buggy and they were walking side by side as slowly as they could. They were not moving for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

fiachr_a wrote: »

You appear to have taken a wrong turn at the banjo playing rednecks/inbreeders anonymous forum.

lizzyman wrote: »
    You appear to have taken a wrong turn at the banjo playing rednecks/inbreeders anonymous forum.

+1 Quick, keep paddling I hear banjos.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Is the humidity making anyone else's hair a frizzy nightmare? I'd put off having it cut and coloured but I couldn't leave it any longer. I'm getting it done next week but my stylist is on holiday, I hate letting someone I don't know cut it. But it's either that or continue to look like a female Side Show Bob, despite washing, blow drying and straightening my hair every day.

It's making mine dryer than usual! 45 minutes it took to brush today. I have the same problem with my hairdresser. She isn't opened half the time and when she is it doesn't suit for me to go in. Ugh hair is too difficult to manage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Is the humidity making anyone else's hair a frizzy nightmare? I'd put off having it cut and coloured but I couldn't leave it any longer. I'm getting it done next week but my stylist is on holiday, I hate letting someone I don't know cut it.:( But it's either that or continue to look like a female Side Show Bob, despite washing, blow drying and straightening my hair every day.
    Out like a bush especially in the misty rain. 80s ballad look is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I'm in my mid 20's and my barber did my ears and eyebrows today.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Schwiiing wrote: »

UM. You know you are getting old when it takes the barber longer to trim your ear/ nose/ eyebrow hair than the hair on your head :):mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Yes, my hair hates humidity.
    Got it blow dried today, not with my usual hairdresser, and the guy said to me, it's a bit dry, isn't it. Well, there went his tip ;)

White lies are the way to go, sunshine, white lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

conorh91 wrote: »
    Parents who let their very young children run amok with those odious scooters on the public road and footpath. It's a fatality waiting to happen in my area.

Every evening when I'm walking home or heading out for a jog, I'll see a parent absent-mindedly using their smartphone, or talking to their adult friend, while their kids hurtle around pedestrians, and across private gateways and other busy entrances like supermarkets and builders merchants, with only the occasional, half-arsed calls of "Oh come back Jaydon/ Katelyn/ Lily-Mae"

When you're pulling out of a carpark on a busy road, it's difficult enough to keep an eye on traffic without having to worry about a three-foot child coming from nowhere on a push-scooter. Such exits are designed to allow the driver to see road-traffic approaching, not children whizzing along the path on push-scooters.

More than a TA here - was a passenger in a car going through a housing estate while 2 mothers chatted and their front doors and their little darlings were at the gates throwing stones at the passing cars - of course the mothers didn't tell the kids to stop or say anything to them!

Vest tops on men. I think they look awful and I saw a guy wearing one while doing something with a trailer out on the road opposite our house, I thought he was a knacker, then I realised he's actually a neighbour. While he isn't a knacker he is a bit of a wnker.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Vest tops on men. I think they look awful and I saw a guy wearing one while doing something with a trailer out on the road opposite our house, I thought he was a knacker, then I realised he's actually a neighbour. While he isn't a knacker he is a bit of a wnker.:D

Also known as "wife beaters". I agree, they look terrible.

I have no TAs to report today. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

You text someone and they ring back. My brother is always at it, he is able to text so I don't know why he always does it.
    Was organising a stag, sent a blanket text to everyone involved with the details of the stag, date, location, price etc. Everyone replied fairly quickly via text or Viber, but he rings me back, and is on the phone for 10 minutes.
    "Where's it on eh?"
    "When's it on eh?"
    "How much is it eh?"
    "Many going eh?"
    Then after all that it's "bye, bye, bye-bye" 5 times at the end of the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    You text someone and they ring back. My brother is always at it, he is able to text so I don't know why he always does it.
    Was organising a stag, sent a blanket text to everyone involved with the details of the stag, date, location, price etc. Everyone replied fairly quickly via text or Viber, but he rings me back, and is on the phone for 10 minutes.
    "Where's it on eh?"
    "When's it on eh?"
    "How much is it eh?"
    "Many going eh?
    "
    Then after all that it's "bye, bye, bye-bye" 5 times at the end of the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

People who record something off their tv with their mobile phone and upload it to youtube...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

It's a waste of time using bleach. Bleach has ammonia in it, which is also in the urine, so the dogs like the smell. Use hot water with a dish washer or washing powder tablet dissolved in it.

Though it would be better if the owners made sure it did not happen in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

Schwiiing wrote: »

That's it for you then, might as well head off to the retirement farm.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Potatoes.

Trying to parboil them before roasting in the oven. Foolishly leaving their jackets on (it was in a chefs recipe,OK? Don't look at me like that) Left the room to check the laundry and they weren't on 10 minutes before they had turned to mush.
    What made matters worse was that I had put on the whole bag since I was cooking for 8 and was expecting them all home in half an hour so no time to get more. Queue burnt fingers as I rushed to pick the peels out before anyone arrived. First lad through the door says ' Whats with the mash? I thought we were having your special roasties?' Grrrrrrr

So yeah.... Potatoes.

redbel05 wrote: »
    Potatoes.

Trying to parboil them before roasting in the oven. Foolishly leaving their jackets on (it was in a chefs recipe,OK? Don't look at me like that) Left the room to check the laundry and they weren't on 10 minutes before they had turned to mush.
    What made matters worse was that I had put on the whole bag since I was cooking for 8 and was expecting them all home in half an hour so no time to get more. Queue burnt fingers as I rushed to pick the peels out before anyone arrived. First lad through the door says ' Whats with the mash? I thought we were having your special roasties?' Grrrrrrr

So yeah.... Potatoes.

Potatoes are a nightmare at this time of year, unless you just buy the new season ones. If you don't watch them like a hawk you end up with mush or half mush half uncooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I suppose this isn't trivial but the lack of self service checkouts in Aldi and Lidl really p1ss me off, getting stuck behind a big full trolley when you only have a few items is infuriating, I've put the stuff down and left on plenty of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

I suppose this isn't trivial but the lack of self service checkouts in Aldi and Lidl really p1ss me off, getting stuck behind a big full trolley when you only have a few items is infuriating, I've put the stuff down and left on plenty of occasions.

Or when the till next to you opens up and all the people behind you get away while you wait behind the wee old woman counting her change or the stressed mother/father of four who is unsuccessfully trying to keep her kids from putting the sweets in the basket while paying.

I always let the person behind me go ahead if they have few items and I have a big trolley full. Its only being courteous!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

That's it for you then, might as well head off to the retirement farm.:pac:

wait til you start finding random, freaky 2 inch hairs appearing on your forehead that weren't there yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I'm in that mood where I'm all worked up and annoyed but can't put my finger on what exactly is annoying me.

wait til you start finding random, freaky 2 inch hairs appearing on your forehead that weren't there yesterday

Or you start finding grey hairs growing in places you didn't know grey hairs could grow. :eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

redbel05 wrote: »
    Or when the till next to you opens up and all the people behind you get away while you wait behind the wee old woman counting her change or the stressed mother/father of four who is unsuccessfully trying to keep her kids from putting the sweets in the basket while paying.

I always let the person behind me go ahead if they have few items and I have a big trolley full. Its only being courteous!

Ye that's annoying as well, the bell rings and suddenly the last person in the queue becomes the first person at the next till. Some people are sound enough to let you go ahead when you only have a few items (good on you for that) but a lot of people don't even look around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement