Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 479

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Right from the get-go I'd say? :p

Yeah, there does seem to be a thing nowadays for people who haven't heard of words before assuming they must be an "americanism".

Words like "pantyhose" and "panties" are americanisms that I cannot stand, horrible, horrible words.

Tights and knickers ffs! :pac:

And the word 'pants'.
    Pants are knickers/boxers over here...but over there they are trousers. How the fck did they manage to mess that one up?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Menas wrote: »
    And the word 'pants'.
    Pants are knickers/boxers over here...but over there they are trousers. How the fck did they manage to mess that one up?!

Yeah, it fcuked up the whole superhero dress code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Adverts for Christmas. It's July, not even Brown Thomas have started that crap yet, and they're usually the first to start it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

anna080 wrote: »
    I've used 'get go' for as long as I can remember. Since when is it an Americanisation?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/526699/FROM-THE-GET-GO-PHRASE-CAME-FROM-AMERICAN-BLACKS.html?pg=all

I know an Americanism a mile off and I always check before posting on Boards. There are numerous references to the origins of 'get-go' online. It's sad when people parrot these cool new words and phrases without even knowing where they originate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Del.Monte wrote: »
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/526699/FROM-THE-GET-GO-PHRASE-CAME-FROM-AMERICAN-BLACKS.html?pg=all

I know an Americanism a mile off and I always check before posting on Boards. There are numerous references to the origins of 'get-go' online. It's sad when people parrot these cool new words and phrases without even knowing where they originate.

This "cool new" phrase according to your link has been around for at least half a century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When you toast a bagel and it comes out of the toaster hotter than the surface of the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Was walking down Henry Street this morning, minding my own business and eating a sausage roll.

What can only be described as a MONSTER seagull appeared at my shoulder, grabbed what it could of the sausage roll, and took off.

It frightened the bejeesus out of me but most of the people passing by were laughing out loud and pointing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I drove into town behind someone who was going between 60 and 80 the whole way in. Jesus Christ, if you can't stick to 80, move over and let me pass! Then they were flying it in the 60 zone approaching roundabouts. What is wrong with these people?
    My main purpose for going in was to renew my insurance. The system was going slow as it had just been updated, so I was sent away to await a phone call in the afternoon. I then drove home with someone tailgating me the whole length of the main road. Shrieeeekk:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Kev W wrote: »
    This "cool new" phrase according to your link has been around for at least half a century.

Yes, but not in Ireland. I have yet to hear anybody use it in everyday conversation but then it's probably the company that I keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yes, but not in Ireland. I have yet to hear anybody use it in everyday conversation but then it's probably the company that I keep.

I've been using it most of my life. I use it in conversation for something like "sure I liked that from the get go", I've never thought of it being an Americanisation. There are many creeping in yes, but to me that's not one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I can't tell if that was an intentional joke or not? :D

Are you really from Del Monte? :pac:

EDIT: Bloody hell, I'm only after discovering that pineapples don't grow on trees!

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/questions/do-pineapples-grow-on-trees

I only had to check because of the way he picked the pineapple -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

tradhead wrote: »
    Was walking down Henry Street this morning, minding my own business and eating a sausage roll.

What can only be described as a MONSTER seagull appeared at my shoulder, grabbed what it could of the sausage roll, and took off.

It frightened the bejeesus out of me but most of the people passing by were laughing out loud and pointing :(

Not guilty

Blister patches. The Compeed ones used to be really good, but for some reason they kept falling off so I got some of the 'extreme' Compeed blister patches. It sticks but there's no buffer it's just a thin oval of bloody uselessness and since there's no actual comfort in it I might as well have just saved my 9 euro and put sellotape over the blister.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Don't be upset, you just love him more than he loves you.

Oh... great! Haha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I just cannot learn the material for the theory test. Now I'm doing a degree in biomedical science, attend med school as a result and did pretty well in school. But learn the answers to the theory test? Hell no :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Fair weather Cyclists , all over the roads in the summer wrecking my head, nowhere to be seen on a cold wet Tuesday morning in December :mad::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

tradhead wrote: »

That's what happens if you shove a sausage down your throat in a busy street: the censoring brigade swoops in and takes control of the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Summer - great to see the sun and warmer weather (sometimes)...
    Sandals - great time of the year to wear them...
    Crack Heels - not great to see in public.

If you want us to see your lovely sandals, put some cream on those heels.

Marje wrote: »
    Summer - great to see the sun and warmer weather (sometimes)...
    Sandals - great time of the year to wear them...
    Crack Heels - not great to see in public.

If you want us to see your lovely sandals, put some cream on those heels.

NO. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

xLisaBx wrote: »
    I just cannot learn the material for the theory test. Now I'm doing a degree in biomedical science, attend med school as a result and did pretty well in school. But learn the answers to the theory test? Hell no :(

I'm the same as you. :P I find the questions so tedious, which puts me off learning them. :o

• Advertisement

NOS3 wrote: »
    I'm the same as you. :P I find the questions so tedious, which puts me off learning them. :o

Really dull or something? I never get more than 30 correct. But sometimes it's arguable that there's more than one correct answer :mad: ...
    Or so I tell myself :pac:

Mice. We spent over an hour getting a mouse one of the cats had brought in out of the living room. The little rat bastard could certainly move fast. Mr P caught him and put him over in the fields, I'd have let the cats have it. Now we can't find the remote control.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Mice. We spent over an hour getting a mouse one of the cats had brought in out of the living room. The little rat bastard could certainly move fast. Mr P caught him and put him over in the fields, I'd have let the cats have it. Now we can't find the remote control.:mad:

you love a rant don't you?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

My daughters friend got a brand new galaxy s5 for her 7th birthday. Wtf does a 7 year old need a phone for??

major bill wrote: »

I do, and of course the beauty of not liking someone's posts is that you can click the ignore button. :D

The back brakes of my car are gone apparently. I am carless for the second time this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

My daughters friend got a brand new galaxy s5 for her 7th birthday. Wtf does a 7 year old need a phone for??

There's an awful lot of children with phones now, it's just the way things are going really. My young lad is 10 and he's had phones since he was 6. He just uses it like a normal person though, as in he doesn't have his head constantly stuck in candy crush or selfies or snapchat, etc.

He's also responsible for buying his own phones and credit though, he's not that bloody spoiled! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Filing my nails - one of the most boring tasks ever. I need to file them to strengthen them but all I want to do is bite them. It's actually driving me mad not being able to nibble them.

Couldn't get on to boards for an hour! Nothing would load and I couldn't come on here to complain that I was annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Couldn't log into Boards for just over an hour and had to actually have a conversation with my husband!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Packaging that is unnecessarily difficult to open. Spent about 10 minutes earlier wrestling with a bottle of Listerine just to get the fúcking thing open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Kind of missing the point of the thread maybe?

Dude - did you not get the memo? Pumpkinseeds is not to be messed with!

There's an awful lot of children with phones now, it's just the way things are going really. My young lad is 10 and he's had phones since he was 6. He just uses it like a normal person though, as in he doesn't have his head constantly stuck in candy crush or selfies or snapchat, etc.

He's also responsible for buying his own phones and credit though, he's not that bloody spoiled! :pac:

That sentence is ever so slightly self contradictory.

Dude - did you not get the memo? Pumpkinseeds is not to be messed with!

Especially not today. We still haven't found the remote control so I've got to use the button on top of the Sky box until my husband gets up later and pulls the sofas out to see if it's under there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Couldn't log into Boards earlier because the page wouldn't load in any browser. Did all the usual stuff, reset router, checked settings, proxies, firewall ect, ect. I then checked PC time & date in control panel and it was up to date. But I decided to do an auto time update/sync anyway. And hey presto, Boards.ie is loading as normal. It's the kind of annoying glitchy nonsense, that reminds me I'm glad I don't work in IT.

Couldn't log into Boards earlier because the page wouldn't load in any browser. Did all the usual stuff, reset router, checked settings, proxies, firewall ect, ect. I then checked PC time & date in control panel and it was up to date. But I decided to do an auto time update/sync anyway. And hey presto, Boards.ie is loading as normal. It's the kind of annoying glitchy nonsense, that reminds me I'm glad I don't work in IT.

It was down for me too....about 30 mins ago.

I can't track a package that's due because the courier companys site hasn't been updated all week, so I don't know when it'll arrive. Kind of defeats the point of tracking.

It was down for me too....about 30 mins ago.

Just following up from my previous post, I'm noticing it's taking about 15-20 seconds for every page/thread to open. My connection speed is perfect, so it must be a site issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

People spelling Barbecue with a Q. It's wrong. Really, it is.

This irritates me every single time, which is just about every time I ever see the word, these days, so ubiquitous is this mis-spelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Sales Assistants asking you do you need random stuff when you get to the till, smokes - do you need matches/lighter with that? paying for stuff - do you need phone credit?

no I don't and if I do, I'll ask for it.....grrrrrrrrrrrr

When you go upstairs to get something, but have to come back down because you forgot what you went upstairs to get.:(

Sales Assistants asking you do you need random stuff when you get to the till, smokes - do you need matches/lighter with that? paying for stuff - do you need phone credit?

It's a pain in the ass for staff who have to ask it. It's called upselling and you're forced to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

reminds me of (as previously mentioned in this thread);

Do you have a loyalty card?
    No.
    Would you like a loyalty card?
    No. (I receive enough spam emails as it is!!)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eating food off your knife....

• Advertisement

katemarch wrote: »
    People spelling Barbecue with a Q. It's wrong. Really, it is.

This irritates me every single time, which is just about every time I ever see the word, these days, so ubiquitous is this mis-spelling.

A barbequeue is a queue formed at a barbecue (noun) in order to obtain some barbecued (past participle) meat from the barbecue (noun).

Robbed from a grammar site I came across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@galljga1
    A barbequeue is a queue formed at a barbecue (noun) in order to obtain some barbecued (past participle) meat from the barbecue (noun).

Sounds a bit Baroque to me. (not Baro-cue)

Would that barbecue have been at Kew Gardens? I mean, Q Gardens?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

People who seek validation from their witty remarks posting on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

While doing the dishwasher, I scraped my finger along a cheese grater. :o

Annoyed that a friend is trying to turn me off getting my hips pierced because of the scars. I don't really care about the scars, the purpose of getting them pierced is to hide other scars, so what have I got to lose? Absolutely nothing. Can she understand? Absolutely not. GRRRRR :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement