Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 World Cup Qualification

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

764dak wrote: »
    Messi cursed at the assistant ref.

Not included in the original ref report and Chile player cursed at the ref....

How many countless examples could you, or I, find of players cursing at officials? None of which followed with a 4 game(!) ban. As a comparison, how many games will Neil Taylor be banned for I wonder? Bale didn't even get a red for a horror challenge in that same game. Cursing is now a 4 game ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Argentina down 2-0 now

Where is this consensus opinion coming from?

From the realms of common sense, because it's fairly blatant what FIFA are doing. Again, imagine thinking an organisation that is corrupt enough to be investigated by the FBI isn't capable of something so, comparatively, small fry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Maybe I was wrong about Bolivia being a tough place to get a result :eek:

irishman86 wrote: »

On one hand I have sympathy for Argentina given that they've only had 5 and a half hours before kick off to adjust to losing their best player. On the other hand, despite what this team looks like on paper, without Messi they are, and have been for years, a poor team who have been coached poorly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

From the realms of common sense, because it's fairly blatant what FIFA are doing. Again, imagine thinking an organisation that is corrupt enough to be investigated by the FBI isn't capable of something so, comparatively, small fry.

Yeah but that's not what consensus means.

A consensus is a widely held opinion or decision. In that, the majority of people have come to that determination.

A bunch of Barcelona-centric twitter crackpots are not a consensus. Thankfully.

Yeah but that's not what consensus means.

A consensus is a widely held opinion or decision. In that, the majority of people have come to that determination.

A bunch of Barcelona-centric twitter crackpots are not a consensus. Thankfully.

Well, hit me with what you think has happened. I'm intrigued as to why FIFA would ban a player for cursing for 4(!) matches, beginning 5 and a half hours (!!) before a match, especially when the referee says that he did not hear Messi swearing in the original match report and when there's videos of a Chile player cursing at the same referee in the same match (!!!). Is it possible that FIFA, of all organisations, have an ulterior motive behind such a ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well Bolivia have lost 4 points from this qualification process

Love that the governing body of a global sport have vindictively banned a player purely for the purposes of revenge and smoothing their own egos and some "football fans" on this Board actually have a go at the player being banned. Like it's almost taken for granted at just how corrupt the governing body in this sport is. It seems something akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Bauza is dreadful. Imagine having quality Argentine coaching options available and constantly picking poorly. Meanwhile Brazil, thanks to the correct coaching appointment, have turned their campaign around from looking like they could miss out on the World Cup to being the best team in the continent. Incredible what good coaching can do.

Every player should get a banning for disrespecting the officials. This is a non story tbh. Not everything is about corruption buddy, Messi hasnt argued it shows something

On one hand I have sympathy for Argentina given that they've only had 5 and a half hours before kick off to adjust to losing their best player. On the other hand, despite what this team looks like on paper, without Messi they are, and have been for years, a poor team who have been coached poorly.

They definitely arent a poor team. They are one of if not they strongest in the world. But christ are they poorly coached. Long ball against Chile for christ sakes. Coach shouldnt be let in Argentina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Messi cursed at the assistant ref.

Not included in the original ref report and Chile player cursed at the ref....

How many countless examples could you, or I, find of players cursing at officials? None of which followed with a 4 game(!) ban. As a comparison, how many games will Neil Taylor be banned for I wonder? Bale didn't even get a red for a horror challenge in that same game. Cursing is now a 4 game ban?
    Valdivia got a 4-match ban last year for arguing with officials after a qualifier.

Every player should get a banning for disrespecting the officials. This is a non story tbh. Not everything is about corruption buddy, Messi hasnt argued it shows something

I'm not saying that players should be allowed to curse at officials, personally I'd rather if the game was reffed in a similar manner to the way rugby is. That being said, you absolutely cannot ban a player for 4 games, 5 and a half hours before a crucial match for doing something that's so commonplace in every match you'll see as to go almost totally ignored. Like I said, a Chile player cursed at the official in the same match and no FIFA ban, in terms of high profile players doing this, Ronaldo was caught swearing at Senor Lahoz and no FIFA ban. Unless this is one rule for Messi and another rule for others I can't understand how it's fair.

Take his silence as something approaching disgust. He knows the score with this governing body, speaking up only leads to more trouble.

Valdivia got a 4-match ban last year for arguing with officials after a qualifier.

Excellent. So can we say that the 4 game ban will be applied across the board from now on for cursing?

I'm not saying that players should be allowed to curse at officials, personally I'd rather if the game was reffed in a similar manner to the way rugby is. That being said, you absolutely cannot ban a player for 4 games, 5 and a half hours before a crucial match for doing something that's so commonplace in every match you'll see as to go almost totally ignored. Like I said, a Chile player cursed at the official in the same match and no FIFA ban, in terms of high profile players doing this, Ronaldo was caught swearing at Senor Lahoz and no FIFA ban. Unless this is one rule for Messi and another rule for others I can't understand how it's fair.

Take his silence as something approaching disgust. He knows the score with this governing body, speaking up only leads to more trouble.

I agree with you the Chile player should be banned. Messi can be banned when ever fifa decide, this isnt the first time a player has been banned like this. Not everything is Ronaldo relevant buddy.
    No I take his silence for guilt, I dont see him as the innocent party at all sorry

Different governing bodies, Ronaldo one was the Spanish FA, Messi is FIFA.

Look at Rooney he was banned for cursing in the camera by the English FA but plenty have been caught since and nothing has happened

They definitely arent a poor team. They are one of if not they strongest in the world. But christ are they poorly coached. Long ball against Chile for christ sakes. Coach shouldnt be let in Argentina

Honestly I don't agree. They are strong in some areas, on paper, but even those high profile names have underperformed remarkably for years for their national side. They are also very light in some areas of their team. On top of that, Argentine football, with it's introverted approach to the game, can look a bit backwards against big countries who have adopted strong identities in recent times. On top of all that, the coaching is atrocious.

Different governing bodies, Ronaldo one was the Spanish FA, Messi is FIFA.

Look at Rooney he was banned for cursing in the camera by the English FA but plenty have been caught since and nothing has happened

Well let's just hope then that FIFA are as vigilant in all international games, needless to say if I see any cursing at officials in an international match I'll be highlighting it and awaiting the inevitable 4 game ban, preferably activating mere hours before a crucial match.

Honestly I don't agree. They are strong in some areas, on paper, but even those high profile names have underperformed remarkably for years for their national side. They are also very light in some areas of their team. On top of that, Argentine football, with it's introverted approach to the game, can look a bit backwards against big countries who have adopted strong identities in recent times. On top of all that, the coaching is atrocious.

Argentine FA and coaching yes, I agree is horrific
    Underperfomed is a funny way to say have reached 3 finals
    I guess we will disagree and agree at the same time :D

Argentine FA and coaching yes, I agree is horrific
    Underperfomed is a funny way to say have reached 3 finals
    I guess we will disagree and agree at the same time :D

Haha agree to disagree is the best way to put it.

They have reached 3 finals, haven't won any when they probably should have won at least 1, though just getting to those finals, playing the type of football they did in all 3 tournaments, was something of an achievement alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Has Argentina ever really performed the way they should have?

Countless years of watching them, with countless great player's, but they don't seem to work together. Lots of great individuals but a terrible team seems to be. Bring back Batistuta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

JamboMac wrote: »
    Has Argentina ever really performed the way they should have?

Countless years of watching them, with countless great player's, but they don't seem to work together. Lots of great individuals but a terrible team seems to be. Bring back Batistuta.

Batistuta's Argentina underachieved too.

Chile score some great team goals. Consistently the best side in world football to watch

Anyone know why Dybala and Aguero were on the bench?

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Batistuta's Argentina underachieved too.

Chile score some great team goals. Consistently the best side in world football to watch

Sorry I meant that Argentina always under achieve not just the current crop. But his goal scoring ability was second to none. I wonder do Argetinians not like each other as they are maybe from different regions and that's why they can't play like a proper team.

Aguero hasn't scored a single goal in this qualification campaign. He's consistently bad for Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Depending on results tomorrow, Argentina would be as low as fifth (playoff place only) and one point off dropping out altogether. Their remaining games are 2nd place Uruguay (A), 8th place Peru (H), and 5th place Ecuador (A). They've not been doing very well with Messi either, third least goals in all of qualifying (15 from 14 games).

Would Messi retire in a temper tantrum again if they fail to get through? Would not exactly be a very high point for him to end it on. :(

• Advertisement

Argentina demise probably being exaggerated, the South American qualification is just really really competitive. The top 5 are all world class sides, they'd all be in the top 10 international teams in the world right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If Paraguay get a win tonight, 2nd to 7th will be separated by 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Ecuador have a tough run in, so its hard to see them pipping Argentina.
    The intercontinental play-off will be against the OFC representative (more than likely New Zealand), so fifth place would merely be a slight inconvenience.

Google Argentinas coach :pac: and his "understanding" of tactics

JamboMac wrote: »
    Sorry I meant that Argentina always under achieve not just the current crop. But his goal scoring ability was second to none. I wonder do Argetinians not like each other as they are maybe from different regions and that's why they can't play like a proper team.

Thats not really a thing. They are mostly of Italian/Spanish heritage. Argentina is the most european country in Latin America. I dont want to get into history but its a interesting read.
    It just doesnt have the class break, like the Netherlands for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Argentina is pretty unified. It is dominated by one large metropolis and is almost 100 percent European. It's also less class-divided than anywhere else in Latin America.

Argentina is pretty unified. It is dominated by one large metropolis and is almost 100 percent European. It's also less class-divided than anywhere else in Latin America.

Except when it comes to Kirchner :pac:
    Thats when the divide comes up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Why is Icardi constantly being overlooked by Argentina? Is it really because Messi has a problem with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Peru 1 - 1 Uruguay 35'
    Currently on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

What if Argentines aren't that good and they only look good at club level because non-Argentine teammates cover for their weaknesses to make them excel?

They have made the final of the last 3 major competitions they've took part in it shouldn't be forgotten, and lost all of those either on pens or in extra time. This team has achieved consistently at the highest level just very unlucky not to have bagged at least one of those.

They will qualify and be among the favourites again for 2018.

Why is Icardi constantly being overlooked by Argentina? Is it really because Messi has a problem with him?

Its because everyone has a problem with him.

Another bad draw for USA overnight and another defeat for Uruguay but they should still finish top 4.

Whoever finishes 5th in South America should qualify as they will play most likely New Zealand in a play off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Did anyone watch Chile vs Venezuela? 3-0 up at half time and then miss, miss, miss, miss. I thought Vidal was missing on purpose he was so wasteful. Rondon pulls it back to 3-1 and then Rincon's shot crosses the line but this wasn't France vs Spain, so no goal was given. To cap it all Sanchez gets to take a penalty to become their all time top scorer, and misses ! They'll be hoping they don't miss out on goal difference, should have been 9-2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

jacool wrote: »
    Did anyone watch Chile vs Venezuela? 3-0 up at half time and then miss, miss, miss, miss. I thought Vidal was missing on purpose he was so wasteful. Rondon pulls it back to 3-1 and then Rincon's shot crosses the line but this wasn't France vs Spain, so no goal was given. To cap it all Sanchez gets to take a penalty to become their all time top scorer, and misses ! They'll be hoping they don't miss out on goal difference, should have been 9-2.

Bad penalty but the foul to concede the penalty was absolutely bizzare! I am not sure what the defender was thinking!

I love Chile all the same. Probably the best S.A. team to watch at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What if Argentines aren't that good and they only look good at club level because non-Argentine teammates cover for their weaknesses to make them excel?

I wouldn't exacty call World Cup Finalists bad :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Messi's 4 game ban has been lifted.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/fifa/243/post/3119571/lionel-messis-fifa-ban-from-playing-for-argentina-overturned-on-appeal

Perfect timing for Argentina, even with him they looked like they could be in real trouble in getting to the WC but this undoubtedly helps that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Messi got 4 matches for cursing (served 1) & Taylor got 2 games for shattering a players leg. Must have been an easy case in hindsight.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Messi got 4 matches for cursing (served 1) & Taylor got 2 games for shattering a players leg. Must have been an easy case in hindsight.

You'd see tonnes of similar tackles to Taylor's every weekend. The length of bans can't be based on the severity of the injury. .

Nearly "Henry gate" levels of overreaction to that tackle.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    You'd see tonnes of similar tackles to Taylor's every weekend. The length of bans can't be based on the severity of the injury. .

Nearly "Henry gate" levels of overreaction to that tackle.

This may be true but if they suspect intent in a challenge then this is where a more lengthy ban may be imposed. Even if they see it as unprofessional conduct.

Next round of Qualification next weekend

AFC
    June 12th
    Group A

Iran V Uzbekistan
    Syria V China
    Qatar V South Korea

Group B
    June 8th

Australia V Saudi Arabia

June 13th
    Thailand V United Arab Emirates
    Iraq V Japan

CONCACAF
    June 8th

USA V Trinidad and Tobago
    Costa Rica V Panama
    Mexico V Honduras

June 11th
    Mexico V USA

June 13th
    Panama V Honduras
    Costa Rica V Trinidad and Tobago

OFC
    Group A
    June 7th

Fiji V New Caledonia

June 11th
    New Caledonia V Fiji

Group B
    June 9th

Solomon Islands V Papua New Guinea

June 13th
    Papua New Guinea V Solomon Islands

UEFA
    Group A
    June 9th

Belarus V Bulgaria
    Netherlands V Luxembourg
    Sweden V France

Group B
    June 9th

Andorra V Hungary
    Faroe Islands V Switzerland
    Latvia V Portugal

Group C
    June 10th

Azerbaijan V Northern Ireland
    Germany V San Marino
    Norway V Czech Republic

Group D
    June 11th

Moldova V Georgia
    Ireland V Austria
    Serbia V Wales

Group E
    June 10th

Kazakhstan V Denmark
    Montenegro V Armenia
    Poland V Romania

Group F
    June 10th

Scotland V England
    Slovenia V Malta
    Lithuania V Slovakia

Group G
    June 11th

Israel V Albania
    Italy V Liechtenstein
    Macedonia V Spain

Group H
    June 9th

Bosnia and Herzegovina V Greece
    Estonia V Belgium
    Gibraltar V Cyprus

Group I
    June 11th

Finland V Ukraine
    Iceland V Croatia
    Kosovo V Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Australia - Saudi Arabia is being played at the Adelaide Oval which is mainly used for cricket. This is the scoreboard:

419373.jpg
    :D

2-2 at ht. Both teams are dire at the back, should be more goals. Tim Cahill to come on and get the winner? Big game for Australia are 3 behind Saudi & Japan with three to play, and they have to go to Japan.

Someone suggested that they pick up a few 'tactical yellow cards' to get suspended at the Confederations cup so as to avoid missing the Japan game. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

It seems the Saudi players weren't interested in observing the minute's silence for the recent London victims.

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/saudi-arabia-football-team-fail-121500604.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Seems they simply don't know the tradition of holding a minute's silence, at least that's the story of Saudi fans.

Advertisement