Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 World Cup Qualification

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Japan beaten today by UAE still a long way to go but you could say that is a shock

I had a look at the Japan line-up and there were a lot of recognisable names: Kagawa, Okazaki, Honda, Hasebe. Very surprised at that result but I read that the U.A.E have been improving the last few years.

I watched the Italy vs France friendly tonight from Bari which France won 3-1. Goals from Martial, Giroud and Kurzawa. Italy's goal was from Pelle (bit surprised he's still in favour following the move to China, but I suppose they're not overflowing with talent in his position). Chiellini was poor in the game and was at fault for Martial's goal. Donnarumma played the second half in goal for Italy and at 17 is now their youngest ever goalkeeper. He could have done better for Kurzawa's goal though.

At half-time I switched over to Belgium vs Spain friendly and Belgium's left-back Jordan Lukaku was having a nightmare and gave away a penalty. Spain won the game 2-0 and I think that was Roberto Martinez's first game in charge. The Belgian fans didn't sound too happy; Spain were all over them in the bits I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Argentina v Uruguay just kicked off here: Dailymotion

Messi makes it 1-0 via the aid of a deflection. They deserve to lead.

And now Dybala sent off for Argentina just before half-time. He's in tears as he goes off. Big chance for Uruguay now to get back into this and even win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Paraguay already 2 goals up against Chile btw.

I stayed up to watch Argentina, but that card could kill the show.

Or make it a show maybe :)

• Advertisement

I see Gabriel Jesus scored a great goal on his debut for Brazil in their win away to Ecuador earlier. Brazil's first win in Ecuador in 33 years apparently.

70% possession for 10 man Argentina according to a stat that flashed up on the screen a minute ago. I expected better from Uruguay.

70% possession for 10 man Argentina according to a stat that flashed up on the screen a minute ago. I expected better from Uruguay.

Dissapointed with Uruguay...

Not the first time they failed to provide, though.

Some difference in how fans running on the pitch are shown on tv in South America :)

If it was a pl match they would play some ads.

I think the kid who ran on tried to kiss his feet.

It ends 1-0 to Argentina. Successful comeback for Messi then.

• Advertisement

I think the kid who ran on tried to kiss his feet.

It ends 1-0 to Argentina. Successful comeback for Messi then.

He did it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I see Pablo Escobar scored for Boliva last night

Kazakhstan have drawn 2-2 at home to Poland in a result that surprises me. I have Poland winning this group (still think they will despite this result).

Plenty of international football on Sky Sports' channels tonight:

Malta vs Scotland (SS 1, SS 5)
    Czech Rep vs NI (SS 2)
    Norway vs Germany (SS 3)

I think I'll watch the NI game as I think those two sides may be fighting for second place.

The Czechs are looking dangerous in these opening minutes.

Edit: I see it's 1-1 between Malta and Scotland. Should have decided to watch that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Gerry Armstrong felt Norwood's yellow was 'harsh'. He was lucky he didn't get sent off for that challenge Gerry.

Oh my God that miss from the Czech player is one of the most incredible misses I've ever seen.

What a miss by the Czech's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Horrid decision by the ref in favour of Scotland against Malta, not only was it not a foul the ref sent him off for something which is no longer a red card.

0-0 it finishes between the Czechs and NI. Good point for Michael O'Neill considering the chances the Czechs had.

Horrendous miss from Novak which should have given them the 3 points.

Good point for the North, but the were lucky that Norwood and Ward stayed on the pitch for two reckless challenges.

• Advertisement

Ireland's World Cup group opponents Georgia and Austria are about to kick off in Tbilisi, with coverage live on Sky Sports 1.

Teams:
    Georgia: Loria; Lobzhanidze, Kverkvelia, Amisulashvili, Navalovsky; Kashia, Daushvili; Jigauri, Ananidze, Qazaishvili; Dvalishvili.

Austria: Almer; Klein, Hinteregger, Dragovic, Suttner; Alaba, Baumgartlinger; Harnik, Junuzovic, Arnautovic; Janko

A Georgia win, or even a draw, would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Doesn't look too good for Georgia so far. They're having to use their physicality to deal with the Austrian pace and giving away frees as a result. Not a game plan for success.

1-0 Austria. Hinteregger header from an Alaba set-piece. it's been coming.

Great chance for Ananidze to equalise but he wastes it.

2-0 Austria. Janko heads in from an Arnautovic cross.

Probably game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Based on this, I don't think there is as much to fear from Austria as there might have been from some other 2nd seeds. They took their 2 chances well but we haven't seen the kind of dominant performance that would put the nerves into you.

Now obviously they won't be particularly afraid of us either, but it still seems preferable to having to face Germany and an in-form Poland in the last campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Agree with above Georgia have had plenty of chances a team with better finishing will level this Austrian side

Georgia aren't a bad side though. They nearly got a result against us had it not been for McGeady. And they beat Scotland which we couldn't manage.

Austria could have made it 3-0 had Janko taken the chance this half. I would still have them favourites for the group.

Georgia aren't a bad side though. They nearly got a result against us had it not been for McGeady. And they beat Scotland which we couldn't manage.

Austria could have made it 3-0 had Janko taken the chance this half. I would still have them favourites for the group.

Between them and Wales really, and yeah fair enough. My point wasn't so much to do with us being one of the favourites for the group though. Moreso that whereas in the away games against teams like Germany (and Poland when they're on form), it's not just a simple task of taking your chances and avoiding giving away silly chances. Because you're under so much pressure that there's so much more to do.

In this group you'd feel that if we can keep it tight and take the chances that we will inevitably create, then it's there for the taking. The same applys to 4 teams in this group really. Really open group where I expect the margins between success and failure to be particularly minute.

• Advertisement

2-1. Great goal. Game on.

Goal for Georgia! And what a goal!

• Big chance fluffed
    We can beat both teams tbh

It finishes Georgia 1-2 Austria.

Disappointing result for ourselves and Wales. Georgia look like they will be tricky once again.

I see Chiellini was sent off for Italy in their win over Israel tonight. He was poor in their friendly defeat to France last week and got caught out for Martial's goal. He's having a bad spell at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Commentators saying here that all the UAE fans have been let in free for the Australia game.

How refreshing

HT 0-0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sweden v Netherlands on ITV4 if you have it.

Commentators saying here that all the UAE fans have been let in free for the Australia game.

How refreshing

HT 0-0

I saw that being streamed on Youtube. There was a chap on a loudspeaker singing throughout the match which was unusual.

Australia got a late winner through the sub Tim Cahill to win 1-0.

Plenty of football on offer tonight:
    Switzerland vs Portugal, Sky Sports 1
    Belarus vs France, Sky Sports 2
    Cyprus vs Belgium, Sky Sports 3

And as Harry Palmr mentioned:

Sweden vs Netherlands, ITV 4

All are kicking off at 7:45.

Portugal XI:
    Patrício; Cédric, Pepe, Fonte, Guerreiro; William, Adrien, Moutinho; Bernardo Silva, Nani, Éder

France XI:
    Mandanda - Kurzawa, Koscielny, Varane, Sidibé - Kanté, Pogba, Sissoko, Martial, Giroud, Griezmann

Here's the Belgian XI:
    Courtois, Meunier, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Fellaini, Witsel, Carrasco, De Bruyne, E. Hazard & R. Lukaku

What games are you going to watch? I think I might look at Switzerland vs Portugal as I think those will be the two teams in that group fighting for top spot.

Thanks for the heads up lads regarding ITV4. Lucky enough I have that in HD.

Very much appreciated

So many empty seats in Sweden.

Martinez starting Lukaku - shakes head.

• Advertisement

Exciting start to this Switzerland/Portugal game. Swiss defence looking shaky.

Exciting start to this Switzerland/Portugal game. Swiss defence looking shaky.

Think I'll turn that on

Bosnia 2-0 Estonia 22'

1-0 Switzerland. Embolo with the goal. He's been the best player for the Swiss I'd say.

Martinez starting Lukaku - shakes head.

Scores! :o

Gibraltar are holding Greece 1-1!

I'll be sticking to the Swiss v Portugese game. Cracking atmosphere and Portugal need now to come out and go 4 it.

1-0

2-0 Switzerland. Mehmedi with a lovely strike. Portugal having started well are now all over the place.

Swiss on the counter here could well score a couple more.

Guerreiro is looking the biggest threat for Portugal. One of the best left-backs around right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

1-0 now in Sweden. The Dutch had been clearly the better side with more chances. But a clear lapse in defence there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement