Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my mobo now scrap ?

Options
  • 17-03-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

So I find the baby/toddler pressing the on off button of the PC because it makes it makes a nice beeping sound. Stern words and a fight and she decides to wander off to more mayhem. Now the PC has lost all network devices. I mean gone from the device manager totally. Network adaptors only shows if you " show hidden devices " under view. No problem the onboard LAN is fried I'll buy a network card. I have now tried 2 different cards PCIe and PCI again neither was found and device manager remained unchanged. Yes I did install the drivers and they had a pretty green led at the back. Right last chance , booted into Ubuntu from a USB key again no network . I did reinstall all the drivers for the mobo prior to the Ubuntu test. So I have now come to the conclusion that some part of the mobo is no longer working and as such the board will have to be replaced ? Anyone got any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

a clanger wrote: »
    So I find the baby/toddler pressing the on off button of the PC because it makes it makes a nice beeping sound. Stern words and a fight and she decides to wander off to more mayhem. Now the PC has lost all network devices. I mean gone from the device manager totally. Network adaptors only shows if you " show hidden devices " under view. No problem the onboard LAN is fried I'll buy a network card. I have now tried 2 different cards PCIe and PCI again neither was found and device manager remained unchanged. Yes I did install the drivers and they had a pretty green led at the back. Right last chance , booted into Ubuntu from a USB key again no network . I did reinstall all the drivers for the mobo prior to the Ubuntu test. So I have now come to the conclusion that some part of the mobo is no longer working and as such the board will have to be replaced ? Anyone got any ideas

I presume you've checked the obvious that the Ethernet cable hasn't come loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Have you reset the bios and / or tried updating it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Or just unplug from mains, leave for a minute and restore power.
    Failing that, remove the coin cr2032 battery on the motherboard for a few seconds.

Would a USB network card be a bottleneck?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

hearny wrote: »
    Have you reset the bios and / or tried updating it

Jeez 2 network cards and multiple driver updates ./..nothing
    Update the BIOS ...worked perfectly again ! :D..cheers
    and i thought we were meant to leave the BIOS alone ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

updating the bios these days isn't as harrowing a prospect as it used to be and I do it all the time for machines I work on without any negative results in a long time

• Advertisement
Advertisement