Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 World Cup - Day 30 - SA v Sri

• 17-03-2015 11:31am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭

1st Quarter-Final: South Africa v Sri Lanka at Sydney
    Mar 18, 2015 (14:30 local | 03:30 GMT)

Amazingly, South Africa have never won a knockout game in a World Cup. Will this be the game that changes that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

They were so unlucky in 1992, should have won it.

SA have better team on paper but Sri Lanka performance was much better than SA in this world cup. Also Sydney is not the closest Sub continental pitch in Australia so maybe Sri Lanka have slight chance of upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I wouldn't class it as an upset if Sri Lanka win. I do fear for their bowlers against the hitting the Proteas have though. Herath is still a doubt too.

Can Sangakkara make it five tons in a row? If it his last outing I hope he signs off with another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Gillespy wrote: »
    I wouldn't class it as an upset if Sri Lanka win. I do fear for their bowlers against the hitting the Proteas have though. Herath is still a doubt too.

Sri Lanka know how to win knock out games though, and when they have lost in world cups in both t20 and ODIS, its rarely because of choking, they simply have came up against a better side.

Its a real test for South Africa this especially if Lanka bat first and put up a score and they nick a few out early.

I think we may get this again if that happens when Ab comes to the crease:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Come on Proteas, make us proud.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Sri Lanka know how to win knock out games though, and when they have lost in world cups in both t20 and ODIS, its rarely because of choking, they simply have came up against a better side.

That's what I mean, it won't be an upset. This isn't a David and Goliath situation, Sri Lanka are a quality side and proven at ICC events.

I'm sure the Kumar will be reminding AB and the rest of them again tonight.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

When SA have choked in the knockouts in previous World Cups it's usually on a background of having flattened the opposition in the group stages and then panicking at the first sign of pressure in a knockout match

Slightly different this time....They had their wake up call in the group stages......they have been put in their place in the group stages by India and Pakistan...... the two subcontinental teams they would have expected to win against in conditions that would normally have favoured the South Africans

I know SL have been in tremendous batting form but I expect South Africa to break their knockout jinx tomorro.....

If I was to get up at 4 or 5am to watch the game, is there somewhere to watch it? I wouldnt be able to stay awake refreshing the score on my phone in bed, but might be able if im up watching it.

I hope its a good game, both teams are well able for putting up a fight.

While u would pick India,Australia and NZ 9 times out of 10 as winners of the other 3 QF's this one is the toughest to call

Probably one of the most intriguing WC knockout matches ever......

Let's hope it is a classic!

Reports online breaking that Herath is out, massive loss if true:(

Bit on the 2 teams' history: http://www.supersport.com/cricket/cricket-world-cup/news/150317/FACTBOX_South_Africa_v_Sri_Lanka

OVERALL
    Played: 59
    South Africa wins: 28
    Sri Lanka wins: 29
    Tied: 1
    No result: 1
    First meeting:
    March 02, 1992 Wellington - Sri Lanka won by three wickets

Last five meetings:
    July 12, 2014 Hambantota - South Africa won by 82 runs
    July 09, 2014 Pallekele - Sri Lanka won by 87 runs
    July 06, 2014 Colombo - South Africa won by 75 runs
    July 31, 2013 Colombo - Sri Lanka won by 128 runs
    July 28, 2013 Pallekele - Sri Lanka won by eight wickets

WORLD CUP
    Played: 4
    South Africa wins: 2
    Sri Lanka wins: 1
    Tied: 1

March 28, 2007 Guyana - South Africa won by one wicket
    March 03, 2003 Durban - Match tied
    May 19, 1999 Northampton - South Africa won by 89 runs
    March 02, 1992 Wellington - Sri Lanka won by three wickets

South Africa: AB de Villiers (capt), Hashim Amla, Kyle Abbott, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de Kock (wkt), JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Aaron Phangiso, Vernon Philander, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn

Sri Lanka: Angelo Mathews (capt), Tillakaratne Dilshan, Kumar Sangakkara (wkt), Mahela Jayawardene, Lahiru Thirimanne, Kusal Perera, Thisara Perera, Suranga Lakmal, Lasith Malinga, Nuwan Kulasekara, Sachithra Senanayake, Dushmantha Chameera, Upul Tharanga, Seekkuge Prasanna, Rangana Herath

Umpires: Rod Tucker (AUS), Nigel Llong (ENG)
    TV umpire: Richard Kettleborough (ENG)
    Match referee: David Boon (AUS)

Weather forecast: Partly cloudy, possible chance of showers. Maximum temperature 31 Celsius.

Pitch report: Promises to be a slow, spin friendly surface. Any cloud cover will assist faster bowlers otherwise batsmen should be able to hit through the line with confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

PP offering 2/5 for SA to win. Says a lot doesn't it. 7/4 for SL.

I've got something on SA and AB top runscorer double at 10/3.

Well done Saffers in picking Abbot ahead of Vern, really paid off so far. Abbot has had a fine competition so far.

Perera opening the batting ahead of Thirimanne was mental though, although picking Perera is dodgy full stop, he looks an absolute hack. Trashing at every delivery should not go unpunished against proper bowlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Welp SA giving themselves every chance of not choking here. 84-4 after 24 overs.

This is over, 8 wickets down for just 116.

They have to bat amazingly well from now on to reach 150

Hat trick for Duminy, Tahir was just great. Probably only top class leg break bowler left in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Well, if SA don't win from here then the really are chokers

Poor from Sanga today, yes I don't expect him to be slogging, but he should have tried to put a little more pressure on the spinners rather than doing a Misbah.

However not the biggest culprit today, some horror shots all round, they have been horrible.

It should be an easy chase with 2 young lads in the side and Nuwan past it, so I can't say they will have to put their chasing demons to bed.

Also last time we see Kumar bat with Mahela and Dilshan. :(

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Also last time we see Kumar bat with Mahela and Dilshan. :(

Yep..... What an occasion for all three of them to play their worst ODI innings!

U r right ....Sanga got bogged down unnecessarily ..... Should have started collaring the spinners when Angelo was still around ..... He was just too scared to get out at that stage and instead allowed the spinners to dictate

SA should win from here .... but I hope SL do just to shut that irritant Mark Nicholas up!

God ..... How annoying is he??!!

• Advertisement

134 to win

Bye Bye Sri Lanka....

What a sad way for Sanga and Mahela to end their careers, great players but very bad ending

Disappointing finish but a superb gesture from the South Africans in the end allowing Sangakkara and Jayawardene to lead them off the field

South Africa have finally 'broken' through today and will be favourites to get to the final past NZ or WI I reckon.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hmmm dunno about favs v NZ in NZ. Won't be a lot in it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Well, it makes our 210 runs & 4 wickets against SA look a wee bit more respectable!!! Just a wee bit.

Nightmare stuff. Sad end for the two great Sri Lankans.

I always believed in JP Duminy, unlike someone here I know.;)

Gillespy wrote: »
    Nightmare stuff. Sad end for the two great Sri Lankans.

I always believed in JP Duminy, unlike someone here I know.;)

Wait until he is in a toughish chase.:P

booth70 wrote: »

South Africa have finally 'broken' through today and will be favourites to get to the final past NZ or WI I reckon.....

They are definitely favs against either, however the choking meme will not be put to bed until they chase a tough score.

Their bowling was quality yesterday, however that was a poor Lanka attack with a misery total to defend.

Advertisement