Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV for kilkenny ?

Options
  • 17-03-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi I heard that HMV is coming back to kilkenny (beside town hall) is this true ?? hope it is , be brilliant and local jobs too .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hope so be great news...seems to be being renovated at the moment, was a shoe shop there 'til recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I heard it from a fairly reliable source that it will be HMV.
    Good for kilkenmy and more importantly for high street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Would worry for Xtravision on Rose Inn Streets future after this, but its good news otherwise.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Good for kilkenmy and more importantly for high street

I would be great for highstreet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Would worry for Xtravision on Rose Inn Streets future after this, but its good news otherwise.

I presume the store on Rose inn street would close and the company would focus on HMV as it would be a bigger store.

• Advertisement

kikel wrote: »
    I presume the store on Rose inn street would close and the company would focus on HMV as it would be a bigger store.

Yeah I'd imagine so, hopefully the xtravision staff would be offered jobs in new site if that were the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Delighted to hear this. Hope it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Hope so, they usually hade a good choice of games and were cheaper than gamestop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

There's also a possibility of Dealz if Sherwoods move out. Hearing talk they might take an edge of town unit. HMV looks likely tenant for the old sports shop alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Hopefully there is some truth to this rumour, would be great for the high street to have a large hmv store on it. Where are sherwoods suppose to be moving to.

• Advertisement

holyhead wrote: »
    There's also a possibility of Dealz if Sherwoods move out. Hearing talk they might take an edge of town unit. HMV looks likely tenant for the old sports shop alright.

Makes sense for Sherwoods. Great store but hard to do business on the High st with bulky electric goods.

holyhead wrote: »

Love to see Dealz in Kilkenny. Need a few cheaper shops like that, badly.
    Very few large/medium units come available in Kilkenny, there's nowhere for them to go really.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

The HMV rumour is true. May not be the end of Xtra/Vision either. In Limerick (much bigger I know) there's 2 Xtra-Visions and a HMV with only a 5 minute walk between two of them. The rental market will remain Xtra-Vision's so it may last.

anyone any idea when HMV will open in Kilkenny, seen lots of activity in there today, so something is opening in there soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

HMV was the only reason I went into McDonagh Junction (and T Maxx)
    So is rent cheaper on the High Street?

hi5 wrote: »
    HMV was the only reason I went into McDonagh Junction (and T Maxx)
    So is rent cheaper on the High Street?

maybe greater footfall, plus it will be a larger store over 3 floors, if they are to open on the high street

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

linny wrote: »
    anyone any idea when HMV will open in Kilkenny, seen lots of activity in there today, so something is opening in there soon

Saturday April 4th is the current date.

Seems to be a lot of work going on in there today, But haven't seen any jobs advertised are they just moving the xtravision staff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Are Xtravision and HMV not the one now? Wouldn't be surprised if the Xtravision branch was closed and incorporated into the HMV store.

just seen this on twitter going to be a big store https://twitter.com/lghoward1/status/575618673613934592

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Of course, people could also shop in Rollercoaster in Kieran Street - a local shop run by local people that's been there for the past 25 years - as well.

Mankbag wrote: »
    Of course, people could also shop in Rollercoaster in Kieran Street - a local shop run by local people that's been there for the past 25 years - as well.

I don't think shopping in Rollercoaster and HMV are mutually exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

I'd love to support Rollercoaster. Unfortunately their DVD range is... lack-lustre, to say the least. Not their fault, I know, it's a small shop with limited inventory, but it's hard to support a shop that rarely has anything new of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

I don't think shopping in Rollercoaster and HMV are mutually exclusive.

Precisely. Hence my use of the words "also" and "as well".

Mankbag wrote: »
    Precisely. Hence my use of the words "also" and "as well".

Apologies, guilty of only half reading your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

thelad95 wrote: »
    Are Xtravision and HMV not the one now? Wouldn't be surprised if the Xtravision branch was closed and incorporated into the HMV store.

Hope it's not the case but its whats been happening around the country. Places like Dundalk Ennis Letterkenny Carlow have dual Xtravision/HMV stores so it might be the same with not many new jobs. Hope Rollercoaster isn't damaged.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I think Rollercoaster will be fine. Their speciality is music. The lads there have a loyal bunch of customers as well plus the ticketmaster aspect brings alot of people into the RC. I would agree with an earlier poster that RC is not great for films either blu ray or DVD but in fairness that's a strong point for Xtravision/HMV. I would think their is room for two. Between its earlier incarnation as Top 20 and now Rollercoaster, it must be one of the longest independent record stores in the country.

I think its good for High St to have another household name and by consequence another unit continuing to be occupied. In the last year Spar, Trespass and now HMV is coming to High St. Spar seem to be doing ok, I see a nice amount of Trespass bags and fingers crossed HMV does thriving business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

From visiting the new HMV stores since they reopened in Limerick and Dublin there quite a lot different from the HMV of old there is a lot more music in the stores compare to the old ones.

They target the LP market and they have a very good section of LP and a lot of less mainstream stuff as well they where stocking when i was looking trow them.

The Blu ray sections where also very good but the problem i seen is that must of the stuff was still quite costly.

Just to be sure HMV is going into where the old toy shop used to be on the high st ?. If so thats quite a big place for a HMV and it will have a extremely good layout with all the floors in the place.

Just thinking about it this is the 3rd time a HMV has opened in kilkenny in the last few years. 1st it was virgin megastore but that changed to Zavvi soon after then zavvi went and a few years later HMV reopened and now HMV is reopening again

thelad95 wrote: »

spot on
    http://kclr96fm.com/new-hmv-for-kilkenny

• Advertisement

One of their flagship stores apparently. Have missed a decent music/DVDs store in Kilkenny. Yes, some of us still like to buy them rather than download. Job must still see a future in it.

Advertisement