Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV for kilkenny ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

road_high wrote: »
    Yes, some of us still like to but them rather than download
    I don't care how good Netflix is, or how easy it is to download movies, legally or otherwise. IMO nothing beats wandering around a DVD store for 15 minutes, trying to pick out the perfect gem in amongst the rubbish and taking a gamble on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Virtanen wrote: »
    I don't care how good Netflix is, or how easy it is to download movies, legally or otherwise. IMO nothing beats wandering around a DVD store for 15 minutes, trying to pick out the perfect gem in amongst the rubbish and taking a gamble on it

Same like i used to love HMV in Kilkenny when i was on my lunch from work i used to love going weekly to a wonder around HMV and seeing might i pick up a bargain on something like a Blu Ray or a game. Like HMV used to be great in Kilkenny when it was open when a new game came out it was only 45 euros same price you pay online and i used to love walking in and being able to buy the game for that i know i won't get that again when it reopens.

But the fact they sell LPS means i can start growing how many i have as they can be crazy dear to post to you online due to there size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

or browsing their DVD selection to get ideas about what I should down load later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Saturday April 4th is the current date.

Friday April 3rd now I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Very good shop. Spread over 5 floors as well. Hopefully they last this time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Ya friend was up from.Waterford this.morning for look said it was great shop also, hoping to get in later for look myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Is there any offers for today?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Digitalism wrote: »
    Is there any offers for today?

100e off a ps4 with GTA, first 10 ps4s though.

Yeah, I imagine that offer was gone by 9.30am at the latest

The old Xtra Vision also has a closing down sale, selling off a load of ex-rental DVDs and BluRays. DVDs 3 for €10, didn't see how much the BluRays were. Not a lot of stock left when I was in, just over one row full

Only had a quick glance in the new shop, it did seem very impressive. It's good to see all the floors being utilised

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I prefer it to the old shop in McDonagh, I think that was a little too open plan. It reminds me of the store on Grafton Street the way it's layed out and nice to still have Xtravision as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's great to have it on High Street too, the street needs more shops that can attract people to the city centre.

Anything going in where Xtra Vision was? I'd imagine that's a bit of a prime spot.

Threadhead wrote: »
    It's great to have it on High Street too, the street needs more shops that can attract people to the city centre.

Anything going in where Xtra Vision was? I'd imagine that's a bit of a prime spot.

Would be perfect for an off-licence given it's location.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Would be perfect for an off-licence given it's location.

I just thought the very same today when passing

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

What's interesting about this new store is the opening hours. Granted xtra vision always had long hours but now we got a music store as well open late. Some real new life on high street

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kikel wrote: »
    What's interesting about this new store is the opening hours. Granted xtra vision always had long hours but now we got a music store as well open late. Some real new life on high street

Would imagine they'd close off the upper floors though? For security and staffing reasons

road_high wrote: »
    Would imagine they'd close off the upper floors though? For security and staffing reasons

Probably, but not the other evening which set off my comment. Either way it's good to see extra life on high street in the evenings.

Passed this evening at 7.30. The whole building was operational. Don't know if it was because it was a bank holiday Monday but spar was closed. I'd say they'll be rethinking that one.

What's the closing time? Didn't Xtravision used to stay open till 10?

Surely it wouldn't be safe to have all 6 floors open at 10 o clock?

Mon-thursday 9-9 Fri-Sat 9-10 and sun 12-9 far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

That's great news for High Street, particularly coming into the summer when there's more people about in the evenings. If it goes well for them, I wouldn't be surprised to see more businesses opening a bit later.

• Advertisement

Is xtravision on rose inn street open again. Thought it closed when the new hmv opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

linny wrote: »
    Is xtravision on rose inn street open again. Thought it closed when the new hmv opened

There selling off old ex rentals in there at the moment will close down when there all gone or the end of the week i say. As Xtravision has moved to its own floor in HMV

linny wrote: »

Closing down sale I would imagine.

So with Xtra Vision on the way out, what will that do for the shop on High Street? Will the whole place be gone, or since it is also HMV will it only be the rental section that goes?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So with Xtra Vision on the way out, what will that do for the shop on High Street? Will the whole place be gone, or since it is also HMV will it only be the rental section that goes?

Given hmv and xtravision have the same company number and company address id expect the store to be closed as its listed to be closed.

It's a shame but the business model just doesn't work in the Internet age,

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

They said on the news yesterday that HMV would be unaffected, and people with Xtra Vision vouchers will be able to use them in HMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It looked closed today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

catbear wrote: »
    It looked closed today.

I was just about to post this as well. I passed by the shop today and saw it closed.

KCLR makes it sound like its closed for good.

http://kclr96fm.com/xtravision-staff-in-carlow-kilkenny-pack-up-after-learning-of-closure/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It turns out HMV/xtravision don't own the stock so there probably won't be a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I was just about to post this as well. I passed by the shop today and saw it closed.

KCLR makes it sound like its closed for good.

http://kclr96fm.com/xtravision-staff-in-carlow-kilkenny-pack-up-after-learning-of-closure/

Media reports I read previously mentioned Kilkenny has a store closing, I'm not aware of any other store they have in Kilkenny besides the one in high street?

Advertisement