Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin man avoids jail over Limerick burglary

• 17-03-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm missing the point of the judge's decision but I can't help but feel my blood boil reading this:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/dublin-man-avoids-jail-over-limerick-burglary-1-6636248

by David Hurley
    david.hurley@limerickleader.ie

Published on the 17 March
    12:00

ONE of four Dublin men who stole a large quantity of jewellery and cash during a burglary in Dooradoyle has been warned he will go to jail if he reoffends.

Stephen Doyle, aged 32, who has an address at Cloonmore Crescent, Tallaght admitted breaking into a house at Lissanalta Drive, Dooradoyle on October 28, 2013.

Inspector Paul Reidy told Limerick District Court gardai were alerted at around 10.30pm when an intruder alarm at the house, which was unoccupied at the time, was activated.

He said as gardai were responding, they observed a silver Mercedes “leaving the estate at speed”.

He said they suspected the vehicle may have been involved in the burglary and that it was intercepted less than an hour later on the M7 near Roscrea, County Tipperary.

Previously, the court was told that various items of jewellery worth in the region of €5,000 and around €2,000 worth of Egyptian currency were taken from the house.

Most of the property was recovered after the car was intercepted.

Insp Reidy said shards of glass found on the defendant matched the glass a the patio door through which the culprits had entered the house.

Solicitor Sarah Ryan said her client - a mother of three - has not been in trouble since .

She said he was a rear-seat passenger in the car and was “not in control of where he was being taken.”

She said Mr Doyle’s had indicated his plea prior to the proceedings which meant the owners of the stolen property did not have to attend court.

Judge Marian O’Leary imposed a six-month prison sentence which she suspended for 18 months on condition he does not reoffend.

"Judge Marian O’Leary imposed a six-month prison sentence which she suspended for 18 months on condition he does not reoffend."

"She said Mr Doyle’s had indicated his plea prior to the proceedings which meant the owners of the stolen property did not have to attend court."

So it's ok then? The scumbag pleaded guilty, so his crime goes unpunished?

What a great little country is Ireland for a career criminal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah sure it was just one big misunderstanding. I'm sure he won't do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How many previous convictions.

Most normal people don't wake up when they are 32 and go ah sure will go rob a gaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Our justice system is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

How is he a mother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

How is he a mother?

I'm guessing it's a misprint....should have read 'father' of three.

Male or female, the p*ick should be behind bars. Suspended sentences for his likes is a pathetic joke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This makes me puke. I honestly do not know how lawyers defend these scum and sleep at night?

Jaysus I might go on a robbing spree after work because it seems clear I'll be let go anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

It could have been worse, he could have been put on parole where he'd have burgled more than ever knowing any sentence he subsequently received would have run concurrently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Our justice system is a joke.

Actually its not a justice system at all, its a justice industry.
    How many fatcats are scum like this guy keeping on the gravy train.
    Its simply not in their interests to have these guys locked up for too long.
    Suspended sentences are like manna from heaven for the judiciary.
    Have you heard any politican say that we should introduce a '3 strikes and your out' system like New York City has.? No, you wont, far too much at stake for their cronies. Its a Banana republic.

Meanwhile, the local newspaper a few weeks ago had half a page with names of people fined for no TV licence.
    Its all about the money...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

FutureGuy wrote: »
    This makes me puke. I honestly do not know how lawyers defend these scum and sleep at night?

Jaysus I might go on a robbing spree after work because it seems clear I'll be let go anyways!

It's not the lawyer's responsibility to decide the sentence, it's the judge.

Advertisement