Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ventilation Options for New Build House

Options
  • 17-03-2015 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

Trying to figure out what options I have for ventilating my house, we're in the planning application stage at the moment, so hoping to make the right decision before we're to far down the road.

There are no opening windows in the house apart from a few skylights in kitchen/dining room and also doors opening onto patio.

The house is split into 2 parts connected by a glass porch. So on one side we have kitchen/utility/dining room and living room this is a single storey. On the other side is the bedrooms and bathrooms which is a 2 storey building.

I'm thinking we will need 2 HRV systems for either side of the house. Although if I could get away with only having 1 I would go for that option.

My main goal here is to ventilate the house with fresh air, without allowing much heat to escape.

Are there any other options?

All advice much appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Surely you need openable windows in most rooms for fire safety alone as a means of egress

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Surely you need openable windows in most rooms for fire safety alone as a means of egress

+1
    Op don't confuse air-tight window seals with escape & purge requirements

Op what is the floor area and Can you show us section of the house through the link corridor?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..what is the roof of the joining porch ?

If the roof is conventional (something), then a false ceiling will work and run your ducts across.

If all glass, you have two options: a) - 2 x HRV units, or b) make the pipework visible deliberately - á la loft type look (see attached).

342555.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement