Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking into buying a new laptop any advice ?

Options
  • 17-03-2015 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'm looking into buying a new laptop i will be using it for general ever day use along with my photography word processor for my C.V music and possibly some video along with skype so i would probaby like a good speed processor what would people recommend my budget is about 5 - 600
    i was looking at the Toshiba C70 17.3 Inch A4 8GB 1TB Laptop in Argos its €539.99
    would like to avice on this
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 016hnoor

before I get some top soil and rolled grass I want to have good drainage in garden as its NW facing plus Ive a good fall on slabs I put in. On the left of picture there used to be a walk away with just coloured gravel which might help with drainage also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 016hnoor

before I get some top soil and rolled grass I want to have good drainage in garden as its NW facing plus Ive a good fall on slabs I put in.
    On the left of picture there used to be a walk away with just coloured gravel which might help with drainage also.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm looking into buying a new laptop i will be using it for general ever day use along with my photography word processor for my C.V music and possibly some video along with skype so i would probaby like a good speed processor what would people recommend my budget is about 5 - 600
    i was looking at the Toshiba C70 17.3 Inch A4 8GB 1TB Laptop in Argos its €539.99 would like to avice on this

I don't know if the new Toshiba models are similar to the older ones, but I got a Toshiba C660 two or three years ago, and I have to say I'm not too happy with it at all, and if I could to go back I probably wouldn't buy it. First of all, it started over-heating within the first year; secondly, the shift button stopped working about 6 months ago and I have to use the on-screen keyboard; thirdly, the keys started falling off and have gone shiny from the use in no time at all, and I don't use it that much. My previous laptop was one that I got in Lidl (!) in 2004 and I was much happier with that than with this one. The Lidl one lasted much, much longer than this one. Not sure how often you replace your laptops, though.

In case this is of any use to you, Oxfam sell refurbished computers/laptops/tablets, take a look at their website. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bazzer_1984

New Home Thanks for your advice on oxfam i would be more looking for a quad core processor as i'll be doing allot of photo editing in photoshop not sure if oxfam would have what i need . do you know anywhere else that may suit me ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To be honest, not really - it took me ages to decide on my own laptop too. The only other place that springs to mind is that place in Dublin that hand-builds computers which are fully recyclable and fully upgradable and that can be made of wood instead of plastic. I've no idea of the prices, though. I'll send you a PM with their website as soon as I find it, provided they're still in business.

• Advertisement

New Home They look decent enough might give them a try , you said they are upgradable would that mean you can change processor and motherboard unlike other brand of laptops ??

There was something about it on their website, I haven't looked at it properly in ages but I seem to remember that that was the case. It may vary depending on the model, but when I first came across them, LEGO sprang to mind - you take one piece out and add another one, sort of thing. Again, I don't know what's the story price-wise, though... If you drop them a line or give them a buzz I'm sure they'll be happy to answer your questions. I'd have gone for them the last time, but I needed to get a new laptop within a week and I couldn't get to Dublin then, more's the pity.

Having said all that, there may be other people who are perfectly happy with their own Toshiba - maybe you should look at some reviews before you make your mind up either way. :)

New Home There not to far from where i live , so i might pop down to them i was looking at apple refurbished but there quite expensive not sure what apple are like id pay the money if its worth it any experience with apple products mate ??

'fraid not, never used one... Just to rephrase something I said somewhere else, to me computers are like cars, I can drive, I know where the engine is, I know what some of the main parts are and I know how to change dead bulbs and flat tyres, but I'm no mechanic...

I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable will come along soon...

New Home Thanks for the tips they were very helpful i'm sure someone on this should help me with further research tips cheers :-)

• Advertisement

New Home Have you ever try take motherboard processor out and replace with newer model of processor and motherboard i was just thinking if i bought a second hand one would it be worth attempting to do is it hard like would you recommend trying it ?

No idea, sorry, I'd leave all that to the professionals... Again, if you check on youtube or on the net, I'm sure you'll find someone who's done it more (or less!) successfully.

In Father Jack's words, 'That would be a 'mechanical' matter...' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

New Home Thanks for your advice on oxfam i would be more looking for a quad core processor as i'll be doing allot of photo editing in photoshop not sure if oxfam would have what i need . do you know anywhere else that may suit me ?

I wouldn't touch a laptop with one of the AMD CPUs in it, they seem to perform very badly in reviews compared to the Intel Core series

I am looking at laptops as well at the moment and the only ones with quad core chips in them are quite expensive. Most of the i5 and i7 are using low power dual core chips

If you can wait a few days, the Dell Inspiron 5000 17in laptops are very good value and you should be able to get an i5 (dual core) model for €599 (you should also be able to pick up a 10% discount code from the net)

jahalpin i'd be more on the search for an i7 quad core it be ideal for my photography while using photoshop to edit my pictures along with storing music , playing videos using skype word processor and general day to day use
    i've had a bad experience with Dell so i am not sure if i'll go back that direction but if you could send me a link or the specs i'll read up on it cheers

jahalpin I'm currently searching for a decent computer / laptop refurbishing company thats not over priced that will stock i7 quad core laptops i would say they will be hard to come across refurbished looking for a laptop that will last years not one that i'll have to replace next year or the year after are you good with computers would you know what i should be on the look for ??

Hi again Bazzer,

I was just thinking, you might be interested in this other forum on 'Askaboutmoney', http://www.askaboutmoney.com/forums/i-t-cameras-and-mp-3-players.16/, someone else there may be able to help you too.

New Home Thanks , I'll stick to Boards for a while surely i'm sure someone here should have enough experience to advice me. If that dosen't work i'll give that website a go :-) looks good by the way cheers

Advertisement