Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best drainage for this garden?

Options
  • 17-03-2015 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭

Just coming to the end of doing garden, but before I get some top soil and rolled grass I want to have good drainage in garden as its NW facing plus Ive a good fall on slabs I put in. On the left of picture there used to be a walk away with just coloured gravel which might help with drainage also. Would it be just a case of digging a trench where border is and fill it with some gravel and cover with top soil?

Any advise Id appreciate..

image.jpg1_zpsxob1v1je.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You can help to reduce dampness caused by run-off etc by digging a trench 50cm deep and 50 cm wide at opposite ends ie end of paved section. Fill each trench with 350-400mmm of pea/drainage grave and fill balance with topsoil for grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

So ive taken up old grass and got out a good bit of stones. Would you rotovate the garden as it is as it is or just do a quick dig and rake again?

see pic below compared to first pic.

image.jpg1_zpsyujagf0h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

mad m wrote: »
    So ive taken up old grass and got out a good bit of stones. Would you rotovate the garden as it is as it is or just do a quick dig and rake again?

see pic below compared to first pic.

image.jpg1_zpsyujagf0h.jpg
    For such a small area, personally I wouldn't bother with the lawn, it'll be more hassle than it's worth, you'll have to strim the edges where the mower won't cut up against the walls, I'd continue with the patio or lay a decorative gravel instead, but if you insist on putting down a lawn, make sure the topsoil is flush with top of the patios before you lay the turf grass, so the mower will just glide over the edge and the rain run off will follow the fall of your patio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

I was going to leave top soil about 3/4 inch below border so when I do put lawn on it will be level. But would it be better to put top soil down and wait to see if it drops a bit?

Do you think I should rotavate it first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

mad m wrote: »
    I was going to leave top soil about 3/4 inch below border so when I do put lawn on it will be level. But would it be better to put top soil down and wait to see if it drops a bit?

Do you think I should rotavate it first though.
    Better to have it slighly proud then on the low side, no need to rotavate imo, just add topsoil to bring the level up and if you like use sand for the final inch or so, it's easier to get level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement