Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paint fade in sun

• 17-03-2015 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I tend to park one of my bikes inside a west facing window which gets sun in the afternoon. It is black. Does anyone know if the side facing the sun will fade gradually?
    I know this is a bit of a ridiculous question, but such are the issues that plague my sad existence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I think it'll depend on particular finish/paint used. With some of my (coloured) bikes I've removed frame mounted things like speed sensors, after years of being in place, to find that the coating underneath was a different colour to the rest of the frame so either the exposed or covered finish had changed colour/shade over time.

The contrast was mainly visible because of the stark delineation between the two different shades, even if your frame finish does fade there is likely to be a gradual transition between the faded and non-faded areas so it may not be very noticeable. Or just rotate the bike every week ...basting is optional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

If it's a Planet X it will melt :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Seriously tho , you should be fine .

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Does your bike not turn around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Personally I think the negative effects of photons impacting bicycle paintwork is a very under-appreciated problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How are you going to compare one side to the other?

Also, why did you paint your window black and how did you get the bike inside it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm confused. What's this 'Sun' thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Lumen wrote: »
    How are you going to compare one side to the other?

Also, why did you paint your window black and how did you get the bike inside it?

There's always one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Don't worry, the sun will be gone again in a few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Give it some love, gotta keep em pretty. :)
    http://www.detailingshed.com/sealants/24-chemical-guys-jetseal-109.html
    +
    http://www.detailingshed.com/waxes/98-collinite-845-liquid-insulator-wax.html

You've got the added use of keeping your car looking well, if you're arsed. :P

Honestly I don't think it's going to be a problem. Glass blocks UVB and some UVA. The paint will also contain additives to block UV.

Also, it's Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Black anodised bars on one of my bikes turned a funky bronze colour in the sun,same with the seat post. It was stored across the room from a window and got sun from 11 until 3 most days I imagine.

JBokeh wrote: »
    Black anodised bars on one of my bikes turned a funky bronze colour in the sun,same with the seat post. It was stored across the room from a window and got sun from 11 until 3 most days I imagine.

How did the rest of the frame hold up? Was it just the anodised paint that changed?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You could put a UV proof sheet over it. Hemp is almost 100% factor I think, get a hemp sheet and throw it over it?

ETA or blackout material. It's fairly cheap.

gadetra wrote: »
    You could put a UV proof sheet over it. Hemp is almost 100% factor I think, get a hemp sheet and throw it over it?
    Plus suncream and a hat, just to be sure.

Slip, slop, slap!

Plus suncream and a hat, just to be sure.

Slip, slop, slap!

You forgot sunglasses. How are you going to protect the eyes(hoods) otherwise? :rolleyes::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

gadetra wrote: »
    You forgot sunglasses. How are you going to protect the eyes(hoods) otherwise? :rolleyes::P

OP you can always respray the bike with paint to top up the freshly eroded areas of the bike effected by the suns rays. The fact that we dont get the sun in Ireland should safely save your bike from total UV meltdown. In the off chance that we do though, a bit of polish and suncream should do the trick but if the bike gets burned by the sun, you could always get aftersun cream in the chemist to threat the burns or else a bit of aloe Vera cream really does the trick especially if the bike is in agony after being exposed to the sun.

The black colour is a killer for attracting heat too so that increases the temperature which in fact could fade your bike that bit more. You should spray your bike white and it won't fade with the sun, make sure you remove the after sun and aloe Vera before proceeding to the spray shop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Honestly I don't think it's going to be a problem. Glass blocks UVB and some UVA. The paint will also contain additives to block UV.

Also, it's Ireland.

never seen a wooden floor where the portion inside the window gets faded? the op's question isn't that daft at all

colm18 wrote: »
    Does your bike not turn around?

I vaguely recall The Rules say that the bike has to be stored with the chain side facing the viewer, with chain on the big ring and small sprocket. So the bike can't be turned, I'm afraid, as the chain side would then face the wall. Who am I to argue with the Velominati?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

outfox wrote: »
    How did the rest of the frame hold up? Was it just the anodised paint that changed?

It was a red frame,which didn't fade at all,I was surprised as red cars usually turn pink when they're exposed to the sun. I wouldn't have minded so much, but it had a light bracket on it,which left a tide mark on the bars when I took it off.

It went the same colour as the coppery bit in the picture on that page
    http://www.finishing.com/483/25.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Do you not have a blind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

UV/Sunlight damage is a pretty real thing - As is UV treated glass (a lot of window panes aren't), which is why a decent framer will be charging that bit for the more for the glass than IKEA.

Fear not though, you can get something like this, and apply with some double sided tape. If you're based in Dublin, the Stage Lighting Centre should have it or be able to order it.

PANIC!

"Matrix dominated properties are affected the most, with the transverse tensile strength decreasing by 29% after only 1000 h of cyclic exposure to UV radiation"

http://me.eng.sunysb.edu/~compmech/downloads/N29.pdf

From the link above:

"Both UV radiation and moisture have adverse effects on the mechanical properties of the polymeric epoxy matrix, while the carbon fibers are not affected significantly by either environment."

Damn poxy expoxy glue! That paper was revised in 2002, I have decided that epoxy technology has moved on from then and is now impervious to both UV and moisture from 2012 on. As my carbon bike is from 2012...

From the link above:

"Both UV radiation and moisture have adverse effects on the mechanical properties of the polymeric epoxy matrix, while the carbon fibers are not affected significantly by either environment."

Damn poxy expoxy glue! That paper was revised in 2002, I have decided that epoxy technology has moved on from then and is now impervious to both UV and moisture from 2012 on. As my carbon bike is from 2012...

I feel a carbon v alu debate coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If the carbon frame is painted then the uv light won't reach the underlying epoxy matrix. Panic over unless you are a naked carbon fibre jerk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

el tel wrote: »
    If the carbon frame is painted then the uv light won't reach the underlying epoxy matrix. Panic over unless you are a naked carbon fibre jerk.

*waggle*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Your bike paintwork wouldn't have faded much today because of the eclipse.

Advertisement