Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying my first car advice?

Options
  • 17-03-2015 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm 21 and have been driving since I was 17, have my full licence since I was 18 and have been a named driver on my parents insurance policy for the past 4 yrs.
    Now I want to get my own car and own insurance and need some financial and buying advice. I work full-time, 40 hrs a week by the way. Earning 370 a week.

I currently have 4 and a half grand in my bank account. Have some money but not much in my credit union (only put a tenner in a week). My mam said they'll never give me a loan cause I only put in so little.

They don't want me to take the money from my bank account but I do. I would be only taking out 1500 (limit for the car) then all I need would be to pay insurance by direct debit per month.

Should I take it out of my bank account, my money at the end of the day or the credit union?

Also thinking of buying a 1.2 L Punto or VW Polo so any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Hi, I'm 21 and have been driving since I was 17, have my full licence since I was 18 and have been a named driver on my parents insurance policy for the past 4 yrs.
    Now I want to get my own car and own insurance and need some financial and buying advice. I work full-time, 40 hrs a week by the way. Earning 370 a week.

I currently have 4 and a half grand in my bank account. Have some money but not much in my credit union (only put a tenner in a week). My mam said they'll never give me a loan cause I only put in so little.

They don't want me to take the money from my bank account but I do. I would be only taking out 1500 (limit for the car) then all I need would be to pay insurance by direct debit per month.

Should I take it out of my bank account, my money at the end of the day or the credit union?

Also thinking of buying a 1.2 L Punto or VW Polo so any advice would be great.

I'd approach the credit union, even by saving 10e with them a week you are showing you can save money. Much better than 20e or 50e every 3 months etc.

Regarding the Punto or Polo question, it really depends on the individual car with 1.5k to spend. Look for service history etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

You can buy a used Fabia which is really just a slightly cheaper used polo for 1500 or less.

It doesn't make sense to take out a loan when you have the money. You'll be paying a lot in interest when there is no need to. You'll earn a couple % if you're lucky on your savings but you'll be spending 5% or more in interest if you take out a loan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Don't buy a Fabia. They are dire, dire cars.

Something like this would be a good bet

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-seicento-sporting-1-1-very-low-mileage/8809834?offset=15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Don't buy a Fabia. They are dire, dire cars.

Something like this would be a good bet

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-seicento-sporting-1-1-very-low-mileage/8809834?offset=15

What is so bad about them? Mine has served me well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

What is so bad about them? Mine has served me well

I drove a 1.9 SDI saloon briefly and I still feel the cold plastics of the dash in my nightmares.

• Advertisement
Advertisement