Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

A mod can throw on a spoiler tag then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Because you didn't use ****ing spoilers, clearly.

Durst killed 3 people, his wife, his best friend and his neighbor. Now his wife he definitely killed and hid her body, but shoddy police work and an influential family made any charges go away, his best friend he traveled to LA and shot her in the back of the head and last week he was arrested for her murder, and he was found not guilty of killing his neighbor because the trial was in Texas, a state full of bible thumping morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Brilliant article here on the editing and the time line of the last episode

http://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpetersen/how-did-the-jinx-narratively-manipulate-its-viewers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Jarecki's always been a bit dubious to me. See his previous works: Capturing the Friedmans & Catfish. No denying they're fascinating and entertaining pieces though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

watched this over the weekend and hadn't read to much about it. Jesus he was some piece of work, i finished watching it about 3 in the morning and ended up sleeping with the light on I was that freaked out:o. I read after watching it that apparently his Brother said he had numerous dogs all named Igor, all of them were killed within 6 months of getting them and then in an interview he was recorded saying he wanted to Igor his brother!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I've 2 more episodes to watch tonight - I cannot wait! It's so compelling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I've 2 more episodes to watch tonight - I cannot wait! It's so compelling!

The end of episode 5 is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/nyregion/robert-durst-indicted-on-gun-charges-in-new-orleans.html?_r=0

Just a follow-up...........

No wiser after it all....but in this case money talked!
    I would believe he's a very manipulative psychopath. I felt he abhorred the family name and all it stood for. BUT, if what he suggested regarding his Dad dragging him out of bed (at age 7) to see his mum jumping to her death from a roof, is true - then all I can do is have sympathy for that kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Apparently this is on Sky at the moment, absolutely worth watching, just watched the 6 eps, in three days, fascinating, compelling story. Durst is one bizarre, creepy character.

The point about manipulation is I think only partly valid. There has obviously been some messing about with chronology, but the Buzzfeed article mentions many other instances of "manipulation" that are simply a film maker doing what filmmakers do, trying to create a good story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

Has anyone a link to watch this its not on netflix or youtube .

In afriad to read back this thread incase of spoilers

Will be watching if a iphone

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭PressRun

He struck me as one of these people who believes that he can buy his way out of everything and possibly even enjoys making everyone watch as he gets away with it. A very manipulative, dangerous character indeed.

I found his legal team and the jury members from Texas absolutely appalling too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Has anyone a link to watch this its not on netflix or youtube .

In afriad to read back this thread incase of spoilers

Will be watching if a iphone

Thanks

It's available to watch on Sky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Is it bad that part of me would like to see him get off the charges in California? He's such a great villain and it would leave the door open for a sequel, I'm thinking The Jinx 2 Beverly Hills Boogaloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Stumbled across this on Atlantic tonight, they are 3 episodes in but it looks enthralling. Gonna have to track down the first 2 eps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just finished watching this and i found it fascinating stuff, the ending was brilliant, no doubt in my mind he killed all 3, i think police were even trying to tie him to a spate of murders in long island too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Just finished watching this evening. Wow!! Was watching the last 5 minutes hiding behind my hands and feeling sick. I knew the eventual outcome as had seen some headlines back on March, but thankfully hadn't read more then that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

Excellent documentary and thanks OP for creating the thread. He's some piece of work. Amazing what you can get away with if you have money and good lawyers. To think, if he hadn't done the interviews he would be a free man. He just wanted to rub it in peoples faces and that's despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Just binge watched the whole series last night, crazy stuff!! Hope its aired over here sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Sky Atlantic aired it a few months ago. As its a HBO production they'll have rights to show it again, and its unlikely any terrestrial or streaming service will be able to show it.

It is perfect for binge watching alright, and crazy stuff as you said. True life is stranger than fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Started this last night...holy jesus, you couldn't make this **** up!! It's like a Coen Brothers movie...Durst is madder than a box of frogs but what an interesting character...thanks to whoever recommended this:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

For the most part, it wasn't as good as Making a Murderer. But the last 15 or so minutes of the last episode... holy sh*t. Brilliant stuff.

I loved Making a Murderer too but this is more gripping, if you know what I mean. Durst is such a compelling character:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Penn wrote: »
    For the most part, it wasn't as good as Making a Murderer. But the last 15 or so minutes of the last episode... holy sh*t. Brilliant stuff.

Making a Murderer is great but I thought the last few episodes dragged. Think they wanted it to be 10 parts when maybe 8 would have sufficed.

Why did I start watching this??? up half the night, knackered now!! compelling stuff...jesus, his eyes...he is one scary guy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, really enjoyed this and found it tighter than Making a Murderer production and story-wise.

That final episode is really worth it, such a good pay-off.

It's a different perspective to your typical murder/mystery type show in that it's more about questioning the validity of someone's innocence rather than questioning their guilt. Certainly breaks from the usual thing you get with these types of documentaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

fantastic television and Durst is a fascinating guy but I find it hard to admit that i think hes a very likeable person.

How he got away with it in Texas is shocking and just shows the power of money in the world. His family members defiantly know the truth.

ricero wrote: »
    fantastic television and Durst is a fascinating guy but I find it hard to admit that i think hes a very likeable person.

How he got away with it in Texas is shocking and just shows the power of money in the world. His family members defiantly know the truth.

He's probably a sociopath, which would make appearing likeable and exhibiting superficial charm part of the package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

The Jinx, about a billion times better and more fascinating than MaM.

• Advertisement

What is with his eyes?? They are pure black....there are no whites at all. There were a few funny moments during the interview..they eyebrows..he was asked if he intended to shave his eyebrows...Durst replies "who accidentally shaves their eyebrows"?? as if THAT is crazy:D. Also, I didn't kill him....I dismembered him...WTF???

Advertisement