Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sun roofs

• 17-03-2015 6:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

can you still buy new cars with sunroofs. I know that all cars have air con etc but was sitting in an old golf today and the sunroof was nice to have a bit of air and sun coming in. can a lad buy a 151 car now with a sunroof

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Usually an optional extra since air con started becoming standard. Most models have them available although they've market them as something a lot fancier than what they were these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nowadays a lot of cars have panoramic glass roofs, some open, some don't.
    The traditional sunroof is a rarity these days though, with aircon becoming commonplace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The traditional sunroof is a rarity these days though, with aircon becoming commonplace.

lets say you were buying a new golf or Passat. can you get them with a sunroof as an extra option?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I have a 04 lexus, I always use the sunroof (usually tilted) and I've never used the air con.
    I guess I don't like using the extra petrol as the IS is thirsty enough the way it is. If I was buying a new car a sunroof or moonroof would be a fairly high priority.

For example on the golf you can factory specify a panoramic sunroof for €1150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

For example on the golf you can factory specify a panoramic sunroof for €1150

What's the difference between a panoramic sunroof and a normal sunroof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

weekaizer wrote: »
    I have a 04 lexus, I always use the sunroof (usually tilted) and I've never used the air con.
    I guess I don't like using the extra petrol as the IS is thirsty enough the way it is. If I was buying a new car a sunroof or moonroof would be a fairly high priority.

Having the roof open will also increase the fuel usage, at high speeds A/C may be more economical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

weekaizer wrote: »

Air con is the way to go, on a hot day nothing beats it, extra petrol use is negligible and probably less than the drag from sunroof or windows open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Air con is the way to go, on a hot day nothing beats it, extra petrol use is negligible and probably less than the drag from sunroof or windows open.

the only thing I use air con for is clearing the windows in winter. much rather the fresh air. in summer will never have air con on but just windows open. that's why I like the idea of sun roofs. again im not really sure about those big panoramic roofs. always loved the normal sunroof with tilt and slide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

josephsoap wrote: »
    What's the difference between a panoramic sunroof and a normal sunroof?

Bigger than traditional sunroof, usually the width of the roof and half the length of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I love a sunroof partially the reason I love my old Avensis aircon leaves me with a sore throat and headache after a long journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I like sunroofs mainly for the amount of light tey let in the car. Makes a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Aircon becoming commonplace?

I thought aircom was commonplace for last 15 years at least?

As well I wouldn't compare aircon with sunroof really.
    Sunroof actually might make a car warmer on sunny day when closed. And on hot days, it won't really make you colder even when open. Aircon will.

CiniO wrote: »
    Aircon becoming commonplace?
    Yes, it's standard equipment on most family cars now, and is becoming more popular in smaller cars too.
    I thought aircom was commonplace for last 15 years at least?
    It's obviously becoming more common as time passes, so you could say 5/10/15/20/30 years and still be right. I think mass fitment of aircon is a lot more recent though. I think sunroofs started to die off in a big way roughly 10 years ago.
    As well I wouldn't compare aircon with sunroof really.
    Nobody's comparing them, but many manufacturers stopped having a sunroof as standard equipment of a trim level in favour of adding aircon instead.
    Example, Toyota had 2 Aura trim levels for the Mk1 Avensis, one with sunroof and one with AC, Same with the RAV4.
    Hyundai getz had a sunroof on the mid spec Getz, but aircon on the i20 that replaced it. Same story with the Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus and many other examples.
    Sunroof actually might make a car warmer on sunny day when closed. And on hot days, it won't really make you colder even when open. Aircon will.
    100% right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

people who are too tight to actually use A/C will do more harm than good, fixing the A/C is not cheap, compressors etc. I leave my climate on all the time, I take no notice on what it does to fuel consumption, I cant imagine its much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Have both AC and a mahoosive sliding sunroof (ie not a fixed panoramic windscreen/roof).
    Wouldn't be without either tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hachiko wrote: »
    people who are too tight to actually use A/C will do more harm than good, fixing the A/C is not cheap, compressors etc. I leave my climate on all the time, I take no notice on what it does to fuel consumption, I cant imagine its much.

About 0.5 l/100km on average extra to your fuel consumption.

So if you do f.e. 20k kilometres a year, it will be extra 100 litres, so at current prices around €140 per year.

IMO bit of a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I do love the old sunroof and miss having one. My E200 doesn't have one. My fto did. My 318 didn't have one. My Astra did. Nothing like cruising along on a hot day and cracking open the sun roof to let the sun cook your ears. Also gives a feeling of more space, which is especially good in a sports coupe.

Advertisement