Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about infusion

• 17-03-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

There are two dishes that I want to try and extend a bit.

Firstly, I want to infuse squid rings with chilli. I normally pop the squid into a bowl of lemon juice for a couple of hours, but I'd like to get some chilli flavour in there as well.

I've sliced some chilli and put it in the bowl with the lemon juice, but it had no real effect.

Secondly, I want to infuse cream with garlic. I'm assuming I can just put the cream in a pan, put in crushed garlic and bring it to a simmer? Then strain it out after a few minutes?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dues to it's structure, squid won't take an infusion.
    The simplest way to infuse cream with garlic (or any kind of herb or spice) is to leave the herb or whatever in the cream overnight in the fridge and then remove in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

duploelabs wrote: »
    Dues to it's structure, squid won't take an infusion.

Yeah, it simply isn't porous enough to soak in the oils.

To get flavour in you'll need to coat it, as in salt and chilli, or salt and pepper calamari.
    Or stuff the tube whole, obviously not an option if the rings are already sliced.

Advertisement