Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why such a price difference?

Options
  • 17-03-2015 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hoping anybody in 'the know' might be able to offer an opinion on this!

We viewed a house last week priced at €160k, (detached, 4 bed, fairly big), there's a house around the corner in the same development priced at €185k but is a 3 bed semi-d and not as big at all, didn't get to view yet, we are tomorrow. Both houses appear to be in same condition.. This had us confused but what really confused us was I went on the property register and found that a similar 3 bed semi was sold 1 month ago at €80k!!! Can anyone tell me why on earth a house would be priced so high?

Another piece of info I have only found out is that seemingly the tenants of the 3 bed were asked to leave ASAP and same person told me it looked like the bank had taken it.. I'm wondering is this possibly the bank chancing their arm?

I'm clueless when it comes to house selling and buying, so it's gonna be a learning curve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Any issues with Pyrite in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Any issues with Pyrite in the area?

Thanks for your reply... No, not that I'm aware of? They'd only be about 7 years old if that would make sny difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A detached may be dearer to heat than a semi-detached house?
    m'lady wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply... No, not that I'm aware of? They'd only be about 7 years old if that would make sny difference..
    If the house is 7 years old, it'd have been sold pretty close to the boom. Is that the price of all houses nearby, or just this estate, and if so why?

Probably out of the 'danger zone' then but if a house went very cheaply (you dont say where you are so I've only my own experience of Dublin to go on) then it would ring alarm bells for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

The property register could represent a setting transaction and not a full purchase price. The apartment next to mine shows a transaction of 60k or so on the property register but it represents one partner buying another out after a relationship break up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

also if its a bank sale, they could be in negative equity and arrears. The owners could be putting it up at a ridiculous price just to get the banks off their backs or the bank may need it sold at that price for a reason.

Have you researched what the prices of these houses were new to get an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Like mentioned above, maybe the expensive house is not actually 'for sale'. The owners could just be listing it because the bank insisted, but the owners may not want to move..

Sorry for delay in responding to all the replies. I viewed the 3 bed semi today and when I questioned the EA he suggested that the house that sold a few weeks ago was a 'repo', but I don't get that as I was of the understanding that the banks will hold out for a higher price and certainly not less than half of the market value?!
    He agreed that the owner has put it very high and when I said I'd put an offer of €100k or thereabouts he refused to even pass it on?!

Probably out of the 'danger zone' then but if a house went very cheaply (you dont say where you are so I've only my own experience of Dublin to go on) then it would ring alarm bells for me.

I'm in the Virginia, Cavan area.. Thanks

Rasmus wrote: »
    Like mentioned above, maybe the expensive house is not actually 'for sale'. The owners could just be listing it because the bank insisted, but the owners may not want to move..

Possibly, though I've been told the tenants that were in the house only a couple of weeks were told to move ASAP, the EA denied that and said they were there 2 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He agreed that the owner has put it very high and when I said I'd put an offer of €100k or thereabouts he refused to even pass it on?!
    They are obliged to pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Victor wrote: »

Not necessarily, the vendor may have instructed the EA not to entertain low ball offers, or only to revert to them with offers over x.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Hoping anybody in 'the know' might be able to offer an opinion on this!

We viewed a house last week priced at €160k, (detached, 4 bed, fairly big), there's a house around the corner in the same development priced at €185k but is a 3 bed semi-d and not as big at all, didn't get to view yet, we are tomorrow. Both houses appear to be in same condition.. This had us confused but what really confused us was I went on the property register and found that a similar 3 bed semi was sold 1 month ago at €80k!!! Can anyone tell me why on earth a house would be priced so high?

Another piece of info I have only found out is that seemingly the tenants of the 3 bed were asked to leave ASAP and same person told me it looked like the bank had taken it.. I'm wondering is this possibly the bank chancing their arm?

I'm clueless when it comes to house selling and buying, so it's gonna be a learning curve.
    why are you buying when the market is all over the place people like ye that drive up the market in uncertain times because ye wont wait

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

audi12 wrote: »
    why are you buying when the market is all over the place people like ye that drive up the market in uncertain times because ye wont wait
    The poster is perfectly entitled to spend their money as they like. You might change your tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Victor wrote: »

Please stop talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

testicle wrote: »

It's not nonsense. The do have an obligation to pass on offers, the reality may be different but the obligation still remains.

audi12 wrote: »

Who,people like me with a small budget and all the investors? Seriously that's a very unfair statement. If I thought I could wait, I would, but all I see is price increases all around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cookie*

All EA's have to pass on any offers made.

Please stop talking bollocks.

Sorry that was too good an opportunity to pass up!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cookie*

Please stop talking bollocks.

Sorry that was too good an opportunity to pass up!

Theres always one ha ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement