Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cavan lakes

Options
  • 17-03-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi lads. Heading up to cavan friday will be staying in ballyconnell area need info on lakes badly as I dont know the area. I have one lake in mind as its close to my cabin but I cant find info on the Internet anywhere which is probably a good thing I suppose as it might be underfished. So if you know the area I would appreciate any info and I will send you a pm about the other lake
    Sound dylan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I assume it's pike you are targeting.
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/pike/north/ballyconnell.htm

The area is awash with pike lakes. You can also ask in any angling store in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

Thanks very much srameen have you fished there much? Was it hit with poaching or is the fishing still good and yes ill be targetting pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

db97 wrote: »
    Thanks very much srameen have you fished there much? Was it hit with poaching or is the fishing still good and yes ill be targetting pike.
    Hi,
    I've never fished in caven but, if I were you I'd go to a tackle shop and get some local advice because that could be the difference between catching and not, caven is probably the best county pike wise, there's tons of lakes there, a lot of them not poached, also don't be shy and ask a another fisherman!!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There is a tackle shop on the main street, beside The Anglers Rest pub/restaurant.

Thanks lads ya ill check in with the tackle shop and see if I can get a bit of local knowledge I hope its as good up there as its made out to be because im after spending a fortune on tackle ha id say I bought half of my local tackle shops deadbait freezer ha thanks for the replys

• Advertisement

Also there is a shop called "The trading post" on main street, chat the owner. You can't miss it. There is a Red Indian woman stands outside wearing a Soviet army helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Hi lads. Heading up to cavan friday will be staying in ballyconnell area need info on lakes badly as I dont know the area. I have one lake in mind as its close to my cabin but I cant find info on the Internet anywhere which is probably a good thing I suppose as it might be underfished. So if you know the area I would appreciate any info and I will send you a pm about the other lake
    Sound dylan.

I love Ballyconnell, spent a few summers up around the erne waterway. Great place for pike and decent perch.
    If you can, rent out a small boat for the day and tip about trolling lures along the canals and the lakes for pike. Cant really say which is the better, the most are joined to the erne waterway so you can go from one lough to another.

copper spoons always worked well up there ;)

Arrived this morning decided to head down to the lake for an hour only took pic of one other 1 was smaller then the dace haha was wobbling dace and smelt

A good start! Hope the weekend is a good one. Try The Anglers and Lizzy Buggy's later on.

Thanks man hoping too get a 20lber before I go haha heading out at the break of dawn ha aswell had a jack pike attack my float ? Anyone heard of this ?

• Advertisement

Thanks man hoping too get a 20lber before I go haha heading out at the break of dawn ha aswell had a jack pike attack my float ? Anyone heard of this ?

Had this happen to me once before I quitted pike fishing, it does happen but you wouldn't see this everyday lol! Haha

Hahah was mad alright man what would attract them to to the float when there was a big smelt just under it haha ?

Hahah was mad alright man what would attract them to to the float when there was a big smelt just under it haha ?

Well I don't really know, but id say that the float is colourfu(high vis Orange), but that's fishing for Ya haha

There is no tackle shop in ballyconnell and i need to get roach and perch. The pike up here wont touch legered baits is this normal ? The lake is big thou any tips on fishing a large lake, from the shore iv tried spoons and divers and the bull dawg lures. They wont touch mackeral..

Iv tried smelt pollan lamprey mackeral dace trout and nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Don't think swooping over to roach and perch will make a bit if difference. If you've a couple more days in cavan drop me a PM, and let me know where you have been. Are you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Pike could be spawning in the larger lakes right now. They seem to have finished spawning in my local river, had a few spinning last sunday. Nothing big though, mainly jacks. I have finished dead baiting now until late october, I hope to have a day spinning and cover a lot of water before focusing on the bream and tench.

Advertisement