Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended harness?

• 17-03-2015 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Okay, so pretty much all of Opie's bad habits are under control and we have seen oodles of improvement. The one thing we are struggling with is walking. He absolutely loves a walk but periodically he will stop to "go for" the lead. He'll strip and snarl at it, try to bite at it, and sometimes run away from it in a mad direction. We're thinking with all the abuse we know he suffered that he has issue with the tugging around his neck :(

Obviously I still plan to teach him mannerly walking on the lead, but for his own pleasure and safety, what kind of harness would you guys recommend? I'd prefer not to use a head-collar at all, just a nice and comfy harness that would fit a border collie sized border collie :o

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If you want comfort, and need both a back and a front connection (you'll need a double-ended lead, the use of which might also help him feel more balanced when connected front and back), it's hard to beat the Perfect-Fit Harness, you have to specifically order the front-connection chest-piece:

http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I got the perfect fit harness for lex. It comes in three pieces so you might only have to replace part as he grows. They were very helpful before buying and even sent extra pieces for free and I sent back the ones I didn't use once I got the fit right.

Edit: snap DBB!

Yes toadfly, their customer service is fantastic, they make you feel like they really want to help you get it right! They're a super harness.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

DBB wrote: »
    If you want comfort, and need both a back and a front connection (you'll need a double-ended lead, the use of which might also help him feel more balanced when connected front and back), it's hard to beat the Perfect-Fit Harness, you have to specifically order the front-connection chest-piece:

http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness

It looks nice and snug. He's been using Shadow's old "Princess Paws" one (which is an old pink one with paw prints all over it :p ) but it's a bit big and I'm terrified of him getting out of it!
    How exactly does the double lead work?

It's a lead with clips at both ends and rings along them so that you can make it into a "normal" lead if you like... hard to describe, I'll see can I find a pic to illustrate. I LOVE double-ended leads, I use nothing else.
    With the Perfect Fit, you attach one end of the lead to the front-attachment ring, and the other end to the back-ring. This means that you have a loop going from the chest to the back for you to hold onto. When the dog pulls, he puts a bit of pressure on that front-connection, and tends to back off it and not pull so much. Now, having said that, the Perfect Fit is not as good as other purpose-built front-connection harnesses for the pulling, but for a dog who needs comfort and isn't a strong puller, they're great.
    You can also simply attach the lead to the back ring if you want to use the harness as a regular back-connection harness.
    I use them because they're comfortable, but also because I feel they make the dog feel more balanced on-lead, and they're a great tracking harness too.
    Does that make any sense? :o

• Advertisement

It's a lead with clips at both ends and rings along them so that you can make it into a "normal" lead if you like... hard to describe, I'll see can I find a pic to illustrate. I LOVE double-ended leads, I use nothing else.
    With the Perfect Fit, you attach one end of the lead to the front-attachment ring, and the other end to the back-ring. This means that you have a loop going from the chest to the back for you to hold onto. When the dog pulls, he puts a bit of pressure on that front-connection, and tends to back off it and not pull so much. Now, having said that, the Perfect Fit is not as good as other purpose-built front-connection harnesses for the pulling, but for a dog who needs comfort and isn't a strong puller, they're great.
    You can also simply attach the lead to the back ring if you want to use the harness as a regular back-connection harness.
    I use them because they're comfortable, but also because I feel they make the dog feel more balanced on-lead, and they're a great tracking harness too.
    Does that make any sense? :o

I think it does. I like the idea of the front connection because I want something that shows him clearly that pulling is not the easiest way. But at the same time I don't want him pulling and going in a spin and getting confused so I imagine the back takes the pressure off the tug at the front while still letting him know it feels odd?

We're still conditioning for the harness. By the holy hells, he does not like anything around his neck or chest :(
    On the plus side, he's almost completely stopped hassling guests now. There is still one or two forceful jumps, but he will sit (if only for a second) and we tell him to go get his ball as soon as his bum touches the floor :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I have a few of these double leads, I find them very good - http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/nylon_leads/sinle_colour/13541

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We've had all our dogs on "Norwegian Style" neoprene harnesses by Limex for years ...can't fault them

2rrkyab.jpg

You may find them in some shops here ...or else on Amazon.de

Sorry for the big picture btw ..not mine

Ok, Halti have this useful set of photos to show you how the double-ended lead can be made into different lengths (I'm not a fan of headcollars, but the pics illustarte what I mean about the lead!).. Sorry the pic is a bit small [Edited... changed the pic!]

o586qs.jpg

And a Perfect Fit-type harness with lead connected front and back:

jfew74.jpg

Ok, Halti have this useful set of photos to show you how the double-ended lead can be made into different lengths (I'm not a fan of headcollars, but this graphic also shows a pic of a dog with a front-connection harness on, with lead connected front and back).. Sorry the pic is a bit small:

2sb1tvr.jpg

Oooohhhhhhhhhhh.... now I get it. So obviously if he were fully trained I could just hold it like one big lead and give him some slack at the front, but tightening it at the front would probably make him take a step back.

Like a bridle and reins :p

• Advertisement

On a little side step (hope you don't mind OP) - is there much room for growth with these harnesses? They look great but I've been holding off on buying Thor and Loki their proper harnesses until they're done with their puppy growth spurts but I really like the look of these and if they had a bit of room for growth I'd be really interested.
    Or, because they come in 3 separate parts, can you buy a harness and then as they grow just replace one part?

I have harnesses for Thor and Loki already but they're just cheapy ones from zooplus.

On a little side step (hope you don't mind OP) - is there much room for growth with these harnesses? They look great but I've been holding off on buying Thor and Loki their proper harnesses until they're done with their growth spurts but I really like the look of these and if they had a bit of room for growth I'd be really interested.
    Or, because they come in 3 separate parts, can you buy a harness and then as they grow just replace one part?

I have harnesses for Thor and Loki already but they're just cheapy ones from zooplus.

No worries, it's good to know. Opie is only coming on 9 months so he could possibly still grow a bit, or fill out!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Oooohhhhhhhhhhh.... now I get it. So obviously if he were fully trained I could just hold it like one big lead and give him some slack at the front, but tightening it at the front would probably make him take a step back.

Like a bridle and reins :p

That's it! Well put!

On a little side step (hope you don't mind OP) - is there much room for growth with these harnesses? They look great but I've been holding off on buying Thor and Loki their proper harnesses until they're done with their puppy growth spurts but I really like the look of these and if they had a bit of room for growth I'd be really interested.

I would say you're well safe to buy them for the Daxies now... it's unlikely they're going to grow a huge amount more, and there is pretty good scope for these harnesses to be made bigger :)
    There is a breed size guide on their website which I have found to be pretty spot-on.

Yes, you can do that too! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have a few different varieties of harness, easywalk, sense-ible and freedom harnesses and the freedom harness seem to the best of the three. They're comfortable with velvet lining and are double ended too, so you can attach front and back or just to the back. On the back is a small martingale attachment so even if you have the lead attached to the back, if he pulls, the harness tightens slightly, it's small so it's not a huge constriction, and the inventor says it's to mimic the "hug" of a thundershirt so it's meant to be a reassurance rather than a constriction.

http://freedomnopullharness.com/

For double ended leads, I had some of the halti ones but I find the fabric isn't very strong so I got some of these on ebay and they are really good and strong woven fabric, no problems so far. You can choose different lengths as well. And they come in pretty colours as I like to use green and purple for the redsers :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Police-Style-Double-Ended-Training-Lead-Very-Strong-/130570557425

Am I the only person that has special leads and harnesses for "sunday best" outings? :o

For double ended leads, I had some of the halti ones but I find the fabric isn't very strong so I got some of these on ebay and they are really good and strong woven fabric, no problems so far.

I'm not madly gone on the Halti ones either, they're a bit soft or something? I use Hunter leads, I get them on Zooplus.

Am I the only person that has special leads and harnesses for "sunday best" outings? :o

*ahem*
    No :o

I have a few different varieties of harness, easywalk, sense-ible and freedom harnesses and the freedom harness seem to the best of the three. They're comfortable with velvet lining and are double ended too, so you can attach front and back or just to the back. On the back is a small martingale attachment so even if you have the lead attached to the back, if he pulls, the harness tightens slightly, it's small so it's not a huge constriction, and the inventor says it's to mimic the "hug" of a thundershirt so it's meant to be a reassurance rather than a constriction.

http://freedomnopullharness.com/

For double ended leads, I had some of the halti ones but I find the fabric isn't very strong so I got some of these on ebay and they are really good and strong woven fabric, no problems so far. You can choose different lengths as well. And they come in pretty colours as I like to use green and purple for the redsers :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Police-Style-Double-Ended-Training-Lead-Very-Strong-/130570557425

As I said, I had a pink one with paw prints on it for my very fabulously homosexual Shadow, so I think it's safe to assume I would like colourful matching leads and lots of zazzy collars :pac:
    A friend of mine has a rescued staffie (oddly also of the homosexual persuasion) that will not be caught dead out on a walk without his raincoat bomber jacket with hood and fur trim (that matches his muzzle and black leather studded lead). So I think we're doing alright :p

I'm not madly gone on the Halti ones either, they're a bit soft or something? I use Hunter leads, I get them on Zooplus.

I had a particularly mad lab who pulled like a train just break one one day, the stitching just gave out. Another one of my dogs when she arrived one day broke hers in a very similar fashion pulling with sheer excitement.

*ahem*
    No :o

My fancy pants ones are Paddys day Emerald Green, they would've been gorgeous if we went anywhere particularly nice today. But muddy fields and pond swimming it was!

BLM, are those double-ended leads on ebay really up to 10 feet long at longest stretch?
    *interest piqued*

As I said, I had a pink one with paw prints on it for my very fabulously homosexual Shadow, so I think it's safe to assume I would like colourful matching leads and lots of zazzy collars :pac:
    A friend of mine has a rescued staffie (oddly also of the homosexual persuasion) that will not be caught dead out on a walk without his raincoat bomber jacket with hood and fur trim (that matches his muzzle and black leather studded lead). So I think we're doing alright :p

And the best thing I ever bought was a walking belt, and in conjunction with the double ended lead can leave your hands free to push the buggy. ;) (once you have Opie walking without running rings around you!) Mine has bungee straps either side so I can walk 2 dogs on lead with the reassurance that if one jerks away I don't lose control if they're attached to the belt as well.

• Advertisement

And the best thing I ever bought was a walking belt, and in conjunction with the double ended lead can leave your hands free to push the buggy. ;) (once you have Opie walking without running rings around you!) Mine has bungee straps either side so I can walk 2 dogs on lead with the reassurance that if one jerks away I don't lose control if they're attached to the belt as well.

I tried to walk Opie with the buggy.

Once.

BLM, are those double-ended leads on ebay really up to 10 feet long at longest stretch?
    *interest piqued*

Yep, I just measured my purple one and it's the 10 footer :)

I tried to walk Opie with the buggy.

Once.

I'm thinking a sling is going to come in very useful for me. Or setting up a mini nursery in husbands workshop while I go for the walk!

I'm thinking a sling is going to come in very useful for me. Or setting up a mini nursery in husbands workshop while I go for the walk!

I walked Shadow a few times with Abigail in the carrier. Unfortunately she has exceeded the weight limit 4-6 months too early so I can't use that any more! :p They have a pretty good professional relationship - she spits out just enough food onto her bib so that Opie can eat it all and in return he gives her ALL of his squeakies at EVERY mealtime and doesn't jump into the pram with her :p

I must show you guys a video of him throwing all his toys over the baby gate into the sitting room and lying on the floor waiting patiently for her to throw them back :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Snap! I have one of the eBay 'police style' leads too! :pac: My leads atm are Rogz ones I got in Mr Price - double ended with rings on the lead to adjust the length and comfy to hold. I use freedoms in the mornings when the dogs are off lead and likely to get wet and the perfect fits when they're going to be on dry land - I find the PF a pain to dry when it get's wet - especially in summer when we don't have heat on to dry all the dog stuff.
    I also padded the front of the PF with a strip of fleece because the front ring banging off the buckle was driving me mad lol! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    I also padded the front of the PF with a strip of fleece because the front ring banging off the buckle was driving me mad lol! :p

Are your PFs the wider, is it 40mm straps?
    I don't much like these wide-strapped ones for my narrow-chested GSDs as the D-ring on the girth is too wide and their inner elbows rub off them. I only discovered this after I bought them of course, but the nice people at PF exchanged without quibble. And I could see how the front-ring might bounce around as it's heavy... it doesn't happen with the 20mm harness, and I'm assuming Opie falls into the 20mm category if he's normal collie size :)

I would say you're well safe to buy them for the Daxies now... it's unlikely they're going to grow a huge amount more, and there is pretty good scope for these harnesses to be made bigger :)
    There is a breed size guide on their website which I have found to be pretty spot-on.

Yes, you can do that too! :)

Oh brill, defo going to buy them so.

Of course you are! That's a silly notion!

:o:P

Yeah I've bought a few hunter leads (and plain basic collars) from zooplus too.

Are your PFs the wider, is it 40mm straps?
    I don't much like these wide-strapped ones for my narrow-chested GSDs as the D-ring on the girth is too wide and their inner elbows rub off them. I only discovered this after I bought them of course, but the nice people at PF exchanged without quibble. And I could see how the front-ring might bounce around as it's heavy... it doesn't happen with the 20mm harness, and I'm assuming Opie falls into the 20mm category if he's normal collie size :)

Yep the 40mm ones!

Order placed for their "Sunday best" harnesses lol :P :D

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask - what belt do you use?

Advertisement