Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

business ideas?

Options
  • 17-03-2015 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Have an empty warehouse for free in cavan and access to some money. Anyone any ideas for a business??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Helpmefarm wrote: »
    Have an empty warehouse for free in cavan and access to some money. Anyone any ideas for a business??

Google Keywords Planner is your friend, as is Google Trends (both localized to the Irish market). Try to find things which are getting a ton of searches with little 'competition' - I warn you these can be hard to find or phrases on Google Trends which are growing quickly for which the market hasn't responded yet.

With the warehouse space and cash I would say a list of products based on the above trends that you can initially all drop-ship from Asia in order to see which one of them has the best demand/margins and lowest return rate. At that point pick one and import it into your warehouse in bulk and keep selling to the UK and Ireland through an online store via free delivery.

Study up on choosing PPC keywords first and go from there. I suggest you try and choose products that: (a) Typically RRP for over €100 to make it worth your while and (b) Aren't physically too large (I know you're sorted for storage but you don't want the P&P wiping out your margins. The more original the better (e.g. don't bother with bog-standard electronics, they're already saturated!

If this isn't your cup o' tea I'm sure some of the other responses on here will be good but may I suggest that you also post on Reddit's /r/entrepreneur section there's some pretty imaginative folks there :)

Good luck! Chances are if it makes money it'll be time consuming so don't choose something that makes you miserable!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You could hire out the warehouse and let them worry about coming up with ideas if you don't have any! May as well pocket the extra cash and carry on with whatever you are doing already.

For non-online ideas what is the surrounding area like? Is it rural or urban? Is the warehouse suitable for public access?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Helpmefarm

Like the idea of importing and selling on. Defo don't want a business where you have to give credit.

Like the idea of importing and selling on. Defo don't want a business where you have to give credit.

Distribution might not work then every supplier is offering credit again now even ones in different countries seem to be happy to give you over a grand after just an email! Do you have any experience of retail?

We had them rented out for years but some tenants left and have some empty ones now. Plus rental income is taxed at 50%. Ya in urban area and very accesible.

• Advertisement

We had them rented out for years but some tenants left and have some empty ones now. Plus rental income is taxed at 50%. Ya in urban area and very accesible.

Ouch 50% never heard that before! Sounds like you have yourself a good opportunity there wish I had something like that! Importing and selling on sounds a lot easier than it is you need to find the right product at the right time to make it really work and then if it does the competition will come in and you have to start over again and try and find the next thing before someone else does.

Or what about a business partner would that be madness? Someone with the skill sets I need and I have property for free till we get off the ground?

Or what about a business partner would that be madness? Someone with the skill sets I need and I have property for free till we get off the ground?

Partnering up with an existing business in need of the space could be a good move as it would probably mean a higher revenue sooner.

Anyone any idea on a container of something to import sell it cheap and fast and on to next one???

Anyone any idea on a container of something to import sell it cheap and fast and on to next one???

If I knew that I wouldn't be sharing it! Have to keep an eye out for trends abroad one good thing about Ireland is that it normally takes a little while for things to arrive here so if you can find the right trend abroad and get in ahead of the others you can make a killing. For example the first people who brought in loom bands were just printing money now you they're like 90% off everywhere and you can buy a million for about a euro! Its all about trying to find the next Loom bands and selling them to retailers ahead of someone else. In an ideal world you will find a brand that has long term appeal you sign up as sole distributor thats what I am always after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

The country is awash with vacant/unused warehouse space. You do not say what planning usage it has, warehousing/light industrial/manufacturing/retail, that may limit your scope.
    As to picking up an idea on here, that is a bit naive. I could tell you that there is a huge market for say sun screen cream, more Irish people are going abroad on holidays this year, demand will be huge.......Have you the first idea how you would go about sourcing CE approved product or how to find customers to sell it to for cash?
    The bottom line here is you have a small component of a business and nothing else. You are highly unlikely to succeed at anything you know nothing about, you need to look to yourself and to your own talents/knowledge/contacts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don't know where in Cavan you are but particularly round Cavan town there are a huge number of vacant units, some vacant for years now, so I'd imagine renting out your unit would be giving poor returns..

I did hear Irish Water were looking for a compound near Cavan Town to rent for a few years but I know one chap who declined them as customers for fear or interference from opposition groups, last thing you'd want is the place being burned down !!

Maybe post in the business partner sickie offering distribution storage etc, it might you in contact with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 toffeehead

Set up an auction house, take goods in, have viewing days, advertise locally and online and take % of sale price, no stock to buy. All cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

you need an auctioneers licence !

• Registered Users Posts: 13 toffeehead

or maybe hire an auctioneer for the day? The OP was looking for ideas, whatever they decide it will take further work/investment/collaboration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

pedronomix wrote: »
    you need an auctioneers licence !
    toffeehead wrote: »
    or maybe hire an auctioneer for the day? The OP was looking for ideas, whatever they decide it will take further work/investment/collaboration.

In Cavan town there is already a car auction well established and another general auctioneer who takes in "stuff" mostly antiques and sells them off.. Both well established at this stage.

Advertisement