Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny County Council and City Council

Options
  • 17-03-2015 9:52pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

At the last election KK county council and the borough council were merged. What are peoples opinions on this after 10 months? A good idea or bad idea? Labours Sean O Hargain seems pretty pissed off in this clip. Is he only worried about his seat or does he want what is best for Kilkenny?

You can see Sean talking from around 36 minutes.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10387213/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's a waste if services are duplicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Sean doesn't have a seat anymore though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

kikel wrote: »
    Is he only worried about his seat or does he want what is best for Kilkenny?
    He should be more concerned with the running of the Gaelscoil and not with his political aspirations.

nuttz wrote: »
    He should be more concerned with the running of the Gaelscoil and not with his political aspirations.
    In fairness public life isn't restricted to those with both the means and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

catbear wrote: »
    In fairness public life isn't restricted to those with both the means and time.

Seán Ó hArgáin is just making sure his voice is heard with a view to the next elections in 2019, simple as that.

• Advertisement

nuttz wrote: »
    Seán Ó hArgáin is just making sure his voice is heard with a view to the next elections in 2019, simple as that.
    Contesting for public does require being known by the public!

On a side note I've met Sean away from both politics and his teaching and found him arrogantly unpleasant to deal with.

Then again we're not perfect, we all have bad days.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I've always found him to be fairly decent and honest but yes, quite arrogant in his manner and with a good air of condescension thrown in. tbh, I'd rather an honest, hard working politician who's a bit of a prick rather than the usual con men we have to put up with.

He lost the election last year and it's obvious if you follow him on social media that he feels quite hard done by. He hasn't given up the fight anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

He does seem to be a very bitter man alright. He took not getting elected again very hard. It seems that this is his crusade to try and get elected again.

The problem with him being so arrogant is, will he really do what is best for kilkenny? Can he really make level headed decisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

He hasn't a hope of re-election anytime. He had the fourth lowest votes in the last election, I can not see him turning that around. Of course he is now saying the abolishment of the Borough Council was a huge mistake. If he was elected, he would be saying it was a great idea, huge amounts of money saved etc....
    I didn't hear him complaining about the €23,800 pay off he got for failing to be re-elected!!!

I had a few dealings with him over his years on the council and I must agree with the previous posters - I found him arrogant and hard to deal with. (must be small-man syndrome)

I found him very fake also, especially when you'd see him outside Nowlan Park head to toe in Black and Amber gear handing out his campaign material.

the government have supposedly set up a group to review the decision to abolish town councils. Do you think Kilkenny needs Borough Council and a county council?

• Advertisement

Again if it's simply pointless wasteful replication then I don't see the point.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Considering Waterford don't need a separate county and city council, Kilkenny sure as hell doesn't

Cabaal wrote: »
    Considering Waterford don't need a separate county and city council, Kilkenny sure as hell doesn't

Waterford had 2 before and I presume that is up for review also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kikel wrote: »
    Waterford had 2 before and I presume that is up for review also.

It went for review, they only have one now. I think Limerick did the same also.

Advertisement