Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy barking constantly

• 17-03-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Really hoping for some advice.

My shihtzu puppy is nearly 5 months. He is very good in general however he has developed a new habit. He barks and barks and barks.....

He reacts when someone walks by our house or he hears a voice outside, he will not stop no matter how much i tell him, so much so that its more than 30 mins later, and he is still at it.

A neighbour of mine has just got out of his car and closed the door and the pup has gone ballistic.

I need to nip this quickly, as I have a baby on the way and last thing i want is for the baby to be disturbed.

We have another adult shihtzu who is as chilled and only barks at the doorbell for 2 seconds which is fine. This guy has a fine set of lungs!

Thanks a million

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This is one that's going to need a very repetitive and consistent approach OP, and I'd be slow to get into it in any detail on a forum such as this.
    How amenable would you be to getting a behaviourist in to help you for a couple of hours, to show you how to deal with it?
    One thing that must stop is you interacting with pup when the barking starts, as it is almost certainly reinforcing the barking when you do. But you do need to know what to do, and I think you'd be best served getting one-to-one help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

One thing I have found out recently is that babies in the womb start to hear from about 17 weeks gestation, and the article I read in particular mentioned barking dogs, and that baby should be fairly acclimatised to barking by the time they're born :). So if you get a behaviourist in and work with a programme hopefully by the time baby arrives the constant barking will have subsided but the baby shouldn't be overly disturbed by them.

TBH when my baby arrives I'm more worried about the baby disturbing the dogs! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Thanks guys for all the advice!

I decided to try something new, and even though I am nearly afraid to say it, it seems to be working ( or else he is calming down slightly).

I walk him before I go to bed, just up and down the road and it seems to tire him a little that he just sleeps when I close the door.

Fingers crossed this is the solution!

Advertisement