Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good MKV codec for Windows Media Player

Options
  • 17-03-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a MKV codec that allows WMP to read MKV files. But, I've read some horror stories about blindly installing codecs.

Can any of you point me in teh direction fo a decent MKV codec. Not a pack, just the MKV codec?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Mkv is a container format, not a media encoding format. It could contain one of a number of different types of encoded media data. So there is no single codec.

You need a codec for the underlying data stream, which could be anything. You might also need another codec for the audio stream.

This is why codec packs are often the answer, but it's probably a lot simpler to just use VLC or Media Player Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I was using VLC, but it was jittery as fook when playing large files. So much so that they were unwatchable. There are a number of "solutions" on the web, but none of them worked for me. So, I was going with the idea of using WMP to play MKVs.

In any case, I just downloaded an old version of VLC (version 2.0.0) and that's working perfectly.

So, it seems that somewhere between 2.0.0 and the newer versions something has changed and not for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you tried installing a codec pack like k-lite or cccp?

I tried CCCP before I installed the old version of VLC. But WMP still didn't want to bother with MKVs.

Anyway. VLC 2.0.0 is working fine with everything I put through it, so it's all good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

The stuttering with VLC may also have been down to your processor struggling with a large HD file. I have a small net-top Revo with a 1GB Atom processor and only 2GB of RAM and by trial and error found that Media Player Classic gave the least trouble. Windows Media Player was forever freezing, even just with audio playlists.

• Advertisement

It doesn't stutter when playing a Blu ray, or any other type of file/container. Just MKVs at 1080p (or thereabouts). But, the older version, 2.0.0, plays everything smoothly. Version 2.2.0 and the last few iterations were giving me issues.

This problem was only on my laptop. An HP 255, which doesn't have the greatest CPU in the world, no doubt. But I don't think she's to blame here, as with the roll back to the older version of VLC, everything is OK now.

So, it has to be something within the VLC code that is responsible.

Advertisement