Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neanderthals Ireland

Options
  • 17-03-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. Is there any evidence of Neadnerthal's in Ireland? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

*rolls up sleeves, braces keyboard for serious wear* :D

Big question JR. Given they and previous humans were in the UK from nigh on a million years ago, it makes little sense to say they weren't here at some stage during that time. The big problem is evidence. The Ice ages basically stripped the country of a deep layer of prehistory. By contrast the UK particularly southern England remained ice free, or at least thundering great scouring glacier free and this meant they have many layers still existing that cover that time period.

I'd bet the farm that Neandertals were here and I suspect for extended periods of time with it, but it's going to be very difficult to find evidence of that. We have to look to geologists and ask them for sites that are paleolithic in origin and more likely to have survived the scouring. Cave systems might be one avenue. Ancient river channels buried beneath the later ice age deposits another.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ah, I see. Thanks a million, excellent explanation. Wouldn’t it be amazing to be the one to find evidence?

Advertisement