Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESTA - Ever been arrested?

Options
  • 18-03-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi Folks,

I plan on travelling to the States at short notice and need to fill out the ESTA.

I'm feeling kind of caught with the following
    Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?

So basically, I have been arrested and there was some damage to government property.

That said, I haven't been convicted of any crime.

So what do I do. I'm pretty sure that by saying yes to this i'm gonna be snookered and won't be able to proceed.

Damn.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Who owned the property. Irish government or US government?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 updown123

WHL wrote: »
    Who owned the property. Irish government or US government?

I don't think that is relevant tbh but it was Irish.

I actually just checked out the Help section and I wouldn't regard it as serious damage. Also, i think there is seemingly age old question of "Moral Turpitude".

It was basically drunk and disorderly, so I must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

updown123 wrote: »
    I don't think that is relevant tbh but it was Irish.

I actually just checked out the Help section and I wouldn't regard it as serious damage. Also, i think there is seemingly age old question of "Moral Turpitude".

It was basically drunk and disorderly, so I must check it out.

Of course it is relevant. If you were arrested and charged in the US, the US legal system would still have a record of it, especially if your personal details (such as a social security number, or a passport number) were involved. It would take the Dept of Homeland Securities computers about 2.4 nanoseconds to link you and the crime together. If the incident happened here, it is much easier to keep off the record, as our legal systems computer records are not linked in with Homeland Securities computer records.

If your incident did not involve MT, you should be fine. There is a long list on their web site of what does and does not constitute MT. They just want to keep the serious offenders out. Getting involved in a punch up outside the pub isn't a serious offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Drunk and disorderly is not considered moral turpitude - stupid but not morally so :D

In the US that is a misdemeanor (at least in most states) and in a lot of areas people are just taken to sober up and not even charged - let off with a caution. My neighbor had one and was driven home in the back of the car and had a long cheery chat with the cops that dropped him off the next morning.

Advertisement