Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

remember demo disks?

• 18-03-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭

back in the day you could get oftentimes up to 10 demos of current games on a disk free with the various pc gamer mags. good times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Better yet, local shop used to stockpile a whole heap of demos behind the counter.

Couple times a week they'd let me look through and grab whatever demos I wanted before they threw them out. Was brilliant..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I still have a pile of them that I never actually got a chance to look through, but they were invaluable back in the day when I didn't have a fast network connection and they would have game patches on the disk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Found an ancient disk at the weekend that I know has a demo of Carmageddon 2 on it plus tons more stuff, will have to look at it this evening.

I remember I could never get that demo to run right on my Gateway, no matter how much I tweaked with the settings it ran like dog shít. Though I did manage to disable the 5 minute demo timer on it somehow, some setting in a .cfg file maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

On the Amiga we had to make do with floppy discs for the most part. Some of them used to squeeze multiple discs onto each floppy that you had to extract to blank discs:
    http://www.oldgamemags.com/files/magazines/amiga-user-intl/AmigaUser-1994-10.jpg

I have a ton of those Amiga demo disks as well that I was going to donate to a website that archived them but never bothered in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

yes I remember getting Doom \ Hexan \ Rise of the Triads \ Duke Nukem shareware on those discs, you could play around nine full levels on Doom for free

those where the days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Found an ancient disk at the weekend that I know has a demo of Carmageddon 2 on it plus tons more stuff, will have to look at it this evening.

I remember I could never get that demo to run right on my Gateway, no matter how much I tweaked with the settings it ran like dog shít. Though I did manage to disable the 5 minute demo timer on it somehow, some setting in a .cfg file maybe.

Brilliant demo. I remember by the time I got my hands on the full game I was burnt out of it as I'd played the demo to death.

quarryman wrote: »
    Brilliant demo. I remember by the time I got my hands on the full game I was burnt out of it as I'd played the demo to death.

Managed to get Carmageddon 1 demo somehow and played that relentlessly, such a fun game that was.

"I was in that waaaaar!!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I recall a disk that had an obscene number of mods, models, skins, etc for Quake and Quake 2. Not even half of them worked properly. These things were great though cause it meant that when you were still on a 28.8 kbps modem connection like I was, you still had new swag to play around with if you were bored and couldn't afford the 60+ minutes it'd take to download a tiny mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

I played the demo for Resi 2 so many time trying to push to get as far as possible in that time limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Back in the glory days of 56k and worse, those discs were fantastic for game mods. The funny thing is, back then, I used to play all kinds of demos to absolute death. Now I generally don't bother with demo's even when they are available. If it's getting decent feedback I just buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Back in the glory days of 56k and worse, those discs were fantastic for game mods. The funny thing is, back then, I used to play all kinds of demos to absolute death. Now I generally don't bother with demo's even when they are available. If it's getting decent feedback I just buy it.
    Well there's so much more info now available now for stuff. In the past it was pretty much magazine coverage, demo discs and if you new someone who played it. Now it's those things, game sites that you can access for free, a million forums, a billion blogs and hundreds of youtube videos.

Also as time has gone on it's likely you now have more money and less free time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone remember having to update graphics drivers and whatnot using those discs? Those were the days.

Steam was like a nightmare when it came along requiring online updates with 56k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

quarryman wrote: »

Same thing for me with Rise of Nations. Demo was so good when I bought the actual game I spent only a week playing it before I couldn't be bothered with it any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Ah the halcyon days of Commodore Format and it's cover tape with 1 free game you'd otherwise never have played and a handful of demos and code from an article near the back that you'd load up so your parents couldn't claim that all you ever did was play games. "look, mam!" you'd say, "poke and peek! I'm a hacker!" and then you'd play Cybernoid 2 for 6 hours straight, never getting past the 4th screen. You could fry an egg... if you had an egg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I still have all my ps demos from back in the day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Loved the demo disks. I played the SiN one to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Banjo wrote: »
    Ah the halcyon days of Commodore Format and it's cover tape with 1 free game you'd otherwise never have played and a handful of demos and code from an article near the back that you'd load up so your parents couldn't claim that all you ever did was play games. "look, mam!" you'd say, "poke and peek! I'm a hacker!" and then you'd play Cybernoid 2 for 6 hours straight, never getting past the 4th screen. You could fry an egg... if you had an egg...

Heh, same with the long dead Sinclair User. My mother still refers to all computer games as "tapes." It confuses the hell out of my son. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Tapes, pshah. I typed my games in by hand...
    10 Print "This sucks"
    20 Goto 10

Good times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

brevity wrote: »
    Loved the demo disks. I played the SiN one to death.

Ditto. Played that bank level a thousand times. Never actually ended up playing the full game in the end, still have it though. Fired it up for a few minutes a short while back and it's still very playable.

Shame that SiN Episodes was canned as well. Never bothered playing the first episode after hearing it was cancelled even though I also own it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Shiminay wrote: »
    I recall a disk that had an obscene number of mods, models, skins, etc for Quake and Quake 2.

Turning Quake into a racing car game, or a full conversion like Quake: Zerstörer, happy for the afternoon. :)

Sometimes you'd get demos that were better than full the game, because they were short and sweet, I loved the Blood II demo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Banjo wrote: »

Commodore Format! There's a blast from the past. The Big Brain and Roger Frames were the business.

Yakuza wrote: »
    10 Print "This sucks"
    20 Goto 10

Good times...

Borrowing books from the library, converting the basic to whatever form of basic you needed to use and then spending hours typing it in only to know exactly how the game panned out?

Yeah, kids these days have it on a bloody plate!

I remember a very early Quake II demo from a PC Live! mag. It had a bug in it where if you shot at the feet of enemies with the super shotgun it sent them flying like a rocket.

I actually preferred that demo to the standard one because of little funny things like that in it :pac:

there was a great little demo on an amiga disk of Sensible Soccer that instead of a ball they had a grenade that would explode, so you had to try and get rid of it before it went off :D

there was also another sensi soc demo but set in the black and white television football days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Skerries wrote: »
    there was a great little demo on an amiga disk of Sensible Soccer that instead of a ball they had a grenade that would explode, so you had to try and get rid of it before it went off :D

there was also another sensi soc demo but set in the black and white television football days

oh man, sensi, what a game!

the "sweet spot" on the halfway line you could score a screamer! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Yakuza wrote: »
    10 Print "This sucks"
    20 Goto 10

Good times...

I had an Amstrad 464+ when I was about ten and used to type out pages and pages of code from the back of a massive book that came with it.

This took hours, then finally after fixing all the errors it would run and I played the game for a while until I got bored.

Then turned it off and lost everything I typed out :)

Could I if i had known how too saved it to a a cassette tape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

In one word, yes. I did the very same on an Oric 48K, the original (pre Atmos) white and blue chiclet keyboard model.

One of the worst experiences was getting claw like cramp from typing in a game that turned out to be a downhill skier of some sort. The letter A had to avoid the letter T's. I nearly puked from the rage.

Having said that, I typed in a great game called, Hiresalt City for the Oric (A. Gordon), a Tron lightcycle type game, that I loved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Skerries wrote: »

I remember that. It was a cross-over of Sensible Software's two main titles - SWOS & Cannon Fodder.

One of my all-time top 20 games was one which I got free on tape on a games magazine - Chaos by Julian Gollop

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I remember that. It was a cross-over of Sensible Software's two main titles - SWOS & Cannon Fodder.

One of my all-time top 20 games was one which I got free on tap on a games magazine - Chaos by Julian Gollop

You do know he's working on a remake/reboot/new version of Chaos? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Oh the memories :)

nesf wrote: »

I have that original cover tape and played it to death, that's why I backed the Kickstarter at the Wizard lord level as to pay back some of the brilliant value I got out of that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

nesf wrote: »

One of the best games ever (along with Way of The Exploding Fist on the C64). I have a Spectrum emulator for the PC that came with PCFormat and Chaos was on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I had an Amstrad 464+ when I was about ten and used to type out pages and pages of code from the back of a massive book that came with it.

This took hours, then finally after fixing all the errors it would run and I played the game for a while until I got bored.

Then turned it off and lost everything I typed out :)

I had that book too!! Triangles flying around the screen :) Ended up getting Werewolf of London and just playing the crap out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

God all this demo disks reminded me of the excitement of getting PC Zone along with the latest update for Half-Life - 1.0.0.x

Oh the memories!

Oh the sadness!

PC Zonnnnneeeee! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Advertisement