Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Lough

Options
  • 18-03-2015 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi people, I've started working here in Cork and I'm interested in fishing Cork Lough for carp and tench. Has anybody and hints or tips on how best to fish it. I had a walk around it today and apart from the island of bushes it's seems pretty featureless. I like to use legered baits on the bottom or method feeder so is it a case of picking a spot and baiting up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Pretty much - method feeder works pretty well.

As you say its fairly featureless, but location is key for two other reasons. Firstly its very exposed and when the wind blows, the Lough can be a hard fish unless its blowing from behind you. Secondly, for safety, try to fish within sight of the roads, not on the back path as unfortunately there have been a good few people lost gear to groups of youths. I wouldn't fish after dusk.

That said, the Lough holds pleanty of Carp 10lb+ - I saw a 20 come out late 2013, so there are bigger. It also holds rudd, some decent eels & a head of small Perch which will take almost anything. I've never actually seen a Tench come out of it although I'm told they are there.

Bear in mind also, taht the average depth is only about 1 Metre, so shallow enough & therefore very prone to temperature change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Andip. Is the ballincollig reservoir still fishable? Would be useful for the op perhaps.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Andip. Is the ballincollig reservoir still fishable? Would be useful for the op perhaps.

It is if you're Bear Grylls :rolleyes:

Its extremely overgrown and unless they've done something over the past 8 months, almost unreachable. Its a shame as its a great stretch of water.

Slightly further afield if you're looking for Tench is the old Knockannanig Reservoir in Fermoy - very well laid out with plenty of formally cut swims (disabled friendly which says a lot about the care and attention). A good head of Tench, some decent Bream and Roach over the 1lb mark. Stunning scenery makes for a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Went out ballincollig reservoir recently with my nephew and a woman came down giving me awful grief saying it's private and I'm trespassing

Now I was with a 6 year old and tried my best to hold my head but eventually I had to tell her to **** off , I was leaving and was telling her fair enough i dont want to start trouble but she kept shouting abuse I just couldn't take anymore so I put her in her place ha

She said her husband was on the way out to me so I waited by the car too see what he had to say for himself so he came up apologised said they were having trouble with people netting and drinking and causing agro and if i wanted to bring the child down just knock on the door and let him know there is no problem

I won't be going back anyway ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Andip wrote: »
    It is if you're Bear Grylls :rolleyes:

Its extremely overgrown and unless they've done something over the past 8 months, almost unreachable. Its a shame as its a great stretch of water.

Slightly further afield if you're looking for Tench is the old Knockannanig Reservoir in Fermoy - very well laid out with plenty of formally cut swims (disabled friendly which says a lot about the care and attention). A good head of Tench, some decent Bream and Roach over the 1lb mark. Stunning scenery makes for a great location.

Whats the story with permits on that fermoy reservoir?Or is it free?

• Advertisement

Whats the story with permits on that fermoy reservoir?Or is it free?

No permit required, totally free fishing and open 365 days of a year, but don't tell anyone as its my bolt hole :) !

Seriously if anyone is looking to fish it, PM me and I'll give you the low down

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MOB993

Thanks for the info folks. Might give cork Lough a try when I get a chance. I could only find taiscumar reservoir? Is that the lake yous are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

MOB993 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info folks. Might give cork Lough a try when I get a chance. I could only find taiscumar reservoir? Is that the lake yous are talking about?

I hope this attached pic comes up here. I'm not sure how to load proper pics.

The reservoir is towards the bottom left of the picture. (Marked in red) Fermoy is at the top right.

Hope it helps.

MOB993 wrote: »

Nope Taiscumar is in Coachford & part of the ESB Hydro reservoir system, here's a link to Knockannanig

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Knockananig-Reservoir/317269771622727

I have detailed directions to it that I sent to another guy - I'll PM them to you just in case you ever facy a visit

Advertisement