Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repair grass.

Options
  • 18-03-2015 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

what would be the best way to repair a smallish back garden. it has gone patchy and some grass looks dead, could be from the dog pee.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

If the area is small enough. I'd rake the grass deep (picking up all the dead thatch) ..... you'll invariably pick up some grass too and it will look worse before it looks better.

Give it a few weeks and I'd lash some of this onto it
    http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/evergreen---4-in-1--feed-weed-mosskiller-for-lawns/evergreen_4in1

Keep the dogs off the lawn for a while and your lawn will look a whole lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I was thinking to just laying new seeds over the grass

cena wrote: »
    I was thinking to just laying new seeds over the grass

Seeding wont be worth anything unless they've got bare soil to grow on.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Have you never heard of overseeding and top dressing.

Have you never heard of overseeding and top dressing.

I have and neither make my statement incorrect :confused:

• Advertisement

could I dig the garden up and mix the soil up with the grass too and add new seeds that way

could I dig the garden up and mix the soil up with the grass too and add new seeds that way

Can you post a couple of pics of your grass at the moment?

I have and neither make my statement incorrect :confused:
    Au contraire, both of them make your statement "Seeding wont be worth anything unless they've got bare soil to grow on" excessive at the minimum and incorrect at the maximum.

You should read what you post. Maybe you're being overly pedantic but for the purpose of the OP I'm mainly pointing out to him that dead grass/thatch and weeds should be removed first as seeds will not be able to anchor to the soil
    overseeding

The area to be over-sown should ideally be closely mown and then scarified or in some way prepared in order that the seeds can be carefully incorporated into the surface mineral soil - bypassing any 'thatch' or organic matter present at the surface.
    You're actually backing up my statement here. :D . Top-dressing a lawn means you are putting new soil to it.

So thanks for backing up my statement ........... on both counts

You should read what you post. Maybe you're being overly pedantic but for the purpose of the OP I'm mainly pointing out to him that dead grass/thatch and weeds should be removed first as seeds will not be able to anchor to the soil

You're actually backing up my statement here. :D . Top-dressing a lawn means you are putting new soil to it.

So thanks for backing up my statement ........... on both counts
    Ah Peter FFS, add some seed to the Top dressing material and you now have an overseed mix, it's not rocket science.
    Although perhaps you'd prefer to give poor inaccurate and mostly incorrect advice, under the guise of been helpful?.

• Advertisement

Ah Peter FFS, add some seed to the Top dressing material and you now have an overseed mix, it's not rocket science.
    Although perhaps you'd prefer to give poor inaccurate and mostly incorrect advice, under the guise of been helpful?.

Top dressing material = soil. Is that so hard for you to understand.

Sure go out there and throw a load of grass seed on moss, thatch, weeds etc and see how successful it is.

And perhaps you prefer to contradict other people without attempting to help the OP yourself. Well I suppose given your understanding of seed viability then the answer is self explanatory :cool:

Top dressing material = soil. Is that so hard for you to understand.

Sure go out there and throw a load of grass seed on moss, thatch, weeds etc and see how successful it is.

And perhaps you prefer to contradict other people without attempting to help the OP yourself. Well I suppose given your understanding of seed viability then the answer is self explanatory :cool:
    facepalm.gif

Sometimes Peter, no advice is better than incorrect/misleading advice.

Yeah because posting overused gifs really proves you're right. :D

You still haven't disproved that a grass seed needs soil to anchor to.

giphy.gif

Lads I only asked a simple question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Scrape up the dead grass cena, loosen up the area a bit, small bit of compost, lawn seed, and compost again.

I do have the same problem as yourself and do this regularly and it works no bother.

Scrape up the dead grass cena, loosen up the area a bit, small bit of compost, lawn seed, and compost again.

I do have the same problem as yourself and do this regularly and it works no bother.

How come you do it regularly

The little woof woof going for a slash in same area for a while. When he has one destroyed he moves onto another area.

The little woof woof going for a slash in same area for a while. When he has one area destroyed he moves onto another area.

Yeah because posting overused gifs really proves you're right. :D

You still haven't disproved that a grass seed needs soil to anchor to.
    Do you really want ot keep digging (pun intended)?.
    Grass seeds require a growing medium to germinate, and FYI that doesn't necessarily mean or have to be soil, it can be peat, sand, leaf mould excetera excetera.

I find it's best be knowledgeable in a subject before one chooses to engage in a debate, you should try it sometime:D:pac::pac:.

OP follow this advice and use a metal or firm spring rake to ruffle the existing surface, also use sand, as using compost is just introducing more unwanted moss spores to your lawn.

• Advertisement

OP follow this advice and use a metal or firm spring rake to ruffle the existing surface, also use sand, as using compost is just introducing more unwanted moss spores to your lawn.

What kind of sand

Advertisement