Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help. dog pees with excitement

• 18-03-2015 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Wonder if someone has the answer. Our 3 year old Jack Russell is lovely and very clever except in one way. Whenever someone comes to the house he jumps and pees on them with excitement. We have tried ignoring him, distracting him, and correcting him by placing him on his bed and keeping him there until the excitement has passed. In case it matters we had him neutered ages ago. Has anyone any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hate to see a request for help going unanswered, so although i dont have any real help for you, thought I would reply. I had a dog that occassionally did this with excitement - just a few drops. It was a temporary thing with him; a terrier, he grew out of it. Im sure some of the more experienced folks on here will come up with a reply, but if your guys is 3 years old, its not a puppy thing.

Has he always done this?
    Does it happen to every visitor that comes in?
    What happens when you distract him/put him away from the visitor - does he pee when hes finally allowed to say hello?

You might try to put him on a leash/harness when the visitor comes into the room, preventing him from jumping up on them, keep him at your side, let the visitor stroke/say hello, then after the initial excitement passes, let him loose or keep him by you for a bit longer...

If this is a new reaction I would have him checked by the vet to make sure that there is nothing sinister going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Thanks for replying. Yes he has always done this and with everyone who calls. He makes a nice drop on their shoes and the floor. If we put him on his bed and keep him there the excitement still gets the better of him and he leaks on his bed. In the beginning we asked our vet and he assured us that if we got him neutered this would stop and of course it didnt, we were so dissapointed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jayney.
    I'm not aware of any research that suggests that neutering can correct excitement urination... :(
    OP, your dog is doing this through over-excitement and maybe a touch of anxiety about meeting new people.
    There are a couple of things you might try.
    First of all, establish a different routine when visitors call. Get him outside to pee just before they call, or immediately before they enter the house... This is easier if you have someone to greet your visitor, and another to go on dog-pee duties :)
    Once your dog is empty, spend some time doing some little attention-grabbing tricks with him for treats, like asking him to sit, or give the paw...anything he's able to do, just to calm him a bit.
    Longer term, I'd be inclined to teach him to sit or go fetch a ball when people enter the room, starting with repetitive practise with yourself and immediate family members, moving gradually onto less familiar people: to do so, armed with small, tasty treats, repeatedly come in the door, ask him to sit, reward and praise, then leave again to do the same again.

Back to now, don't let him into your visitor until he's a bit calmer.
    He may feel a little overawed by visitors standing over him, so wait until your visitor has sat down and is at a lower level before letting him in. Ask them to play it very cool with your dog, not staring at him or making a big deal of him. This will be easier in the first few weeks if you deliberately practise with people who will do as you ask... Don't wait until shrieky visitors arrive!
    Now let the dog into them, and just let him sniff them and get used to them being there without the big kerfuffle.
    With a bit of practise, he should become calmer in the greeting process.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Thank you
    You have given me a lot to think about. Yes I agree with you about practising on ourselves. You see I think we ourselves are to blame because when we would return home we would make a big fuss of him, allowing him to jump up on us. So now when one of the family returns we tell him to get into bed, we have been doing this over and over again.

Advertisement