Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to rotavate, or is top soil better.

• 18-03-2015 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

Have a garden of circa 80sqm.

I was advised by a garden centre to remove the lawn that's there as its comfortably more than 50% moss.

I've been removing the moss with a rake, it literally rolls off.

Whats left underneath is a fairly smooth brown surface, with little bits of moss roots.

My plan had been to rotavate and seed it then. I'm wondering could I just put top soil on the surface, as its smooth already, and let it grow.

Any thought?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Have a garden of circa 80sqm.

I was advised by a garden centre to remove the lawn that's there as its comfortably more than 50% moss.

I've been removing the moss with a rake, it literally rolls off.

Whats left underneath is a fairly smooth brown surface, with little bits of moss roots.

My plan had been to rotavate and seed it then. I'm wondering could I just put top soil on the surface, as its smooth already, and let it grow.

Any thought?

Personally I'd rotavate, sow and roll it. You'd want to be doing it soon though as I wouldn't really put a lawn down after April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Personally I'd rotavate, sow and roll it. You'd want to be doing it soon though as I wouldn't really put a lawn down after April.
    Why wouldn't you sow or lay a lawn after April?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

More inclined to need watering in the warm spells. Of course if you get wet/mild May and June then the grass will be strong enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thanks for the answers.

I'd agree that I'd rather get it done in April, and have the garden ready to walk on by maybe July.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    More inclined to need watering in the warm spells. Of course if you get wet/mild May and June then the grass will be strong enough.
    You do realise you live in a country where water/rain is never too far away and also Ireland is not called forty shades of green for nothing, i.e. refers mainly to the shades of grasses.
    Sowing grass is optimal in spring and autumn, but can be sown anytime throughout the growing season, it's also rare in this country that you'll have to water a lawn (be it newly sown or established), although in saying that it doesn't stop the obsessive gardener from obsessing about frivolous jobs that attempt to quench their insatiable nuturing urges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement